The Masquerade Killer[GxB/G/N][Otome|Mystery|Victorian] 15 HOURS LEFT ON KICKSTARTER!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo.
Windchimes
Veteran
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNoRenO '16), Red String of Fate, AIRIS (NaNoRenO '17)
Projects: The Masquerade Killer, Lads in Distress (Expansion)
Organization: Ebullience Games, Catfish Crew
Tumblr: windchimesx
itch: ebullience-games

The Masquerade Killer[GxB/G/N][Otome|Mystery|Victorian] 15 HOURS LEFT ON KICKSTARTER!

#1 Post by Windchimes » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:34 pm

The Masquerade Killer
[Commercial] [GxB/G/N] [Otome, Historical Romance, Murder Mystery]

Official website | Tumblr | Twitter

Our Kickstarter is now live! Please consider backing us or signal boosting!

Itch.io (Windows, Mac, Linux)
Mirror: Windows | Mac | Linux

The Masquerade Killer is a mystery, historical romance, otome game, set in the Victorian era. Join Elvira on her mission to solve a murder while attempting to blend into the upper-class society of London!
Which path she takes in both romance and life will depend entirely on you.

Full game is expected to be released sometime around February, 2018, if our crowdfunding campaign is successful. It will be sold at a price of $14.99.

Artist: Greenace
Writer: Windchimes
Editors: Perennial Lily, Azuumi

Background Artist: Choirul Abidin
Logo & GUI Artist: potouto
Composer: Alcaknight
Video Editor: Rito
Main Menu & Trailer Song: Alyx
Information / KS Assets and Fandisk GUI: WinterMochie

Feedback

You don't need to answer all the questions, but we would greatly appreciate any feedback you give!

1. What do you think about the story / characters so far?
2. Who is your favorite character at the moment?
3. What are your thoughts on the revamp of the project? Do you like this new, bigger version of the project more?
4. Any other comments or questions?

Thank you for reading!
Last edited by Windchimes on Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:31 am, edited 25 times in total.

Windchimes
Veteran
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNoRenO '16), Red String of Fate, AIRIS (NaNoRenO '17)

Re: The Masquerade Killer[GxB][Otome|Historical Romance|Myst

#2 Post by Windchimes » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:34 pm

Feb 8: New art for the characters! Click the thumbnails to view the character art in full size/high def!

Image Image Image Image

Feb 2: We are revamping the entire project! Upgrade to all art assets, two new romance routes (one female love interest and one non-binary love interest) and full original soundtrack! Stay tuned for more updates!
Last edited by Windchimes on Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:46 am, edited 6 times in total.

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16)
Projects: Touch of Fae, The Crossroads
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

#3 Post by Harliqueen » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:07 am

It sounds really interesting! I like the idea of the murder mystery, and all the bits and pieces going into the plot :)

Probably Julius, sounds like he's going to be an interesting one to figure out!

3. How much would you be willing to pay for this game? Or how much do you think would be a fair price for this game?
I don't know. Price depends on a lot of factors. You got to go with what you consider is best. A lot of work is obviously going into it!

Really looking forward to seeing more about this. Will be keeping a close eye on development :D Good luck with the project!

Amy_oai
Regular
Tumblr: obsessionaboutillusions

#4 Post by Amy_oai » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:16 am

1. What do you think about the story / characters so far?`
A murder mystery otome sounds really neat!

Probably Seth, his mindset and morals intrigue me.

3. How much would you be willing to pay for this game? Or how much do you think would be a fair price for this game?
As Harliqueen said, it depends on a lot of factors. Usually for visual novels with me, anything above 15 dollars needs to be carefully reviewed first if I'm willing to spend more than that on it.

This looks really cool! Good luck with the project and I'll follow your development as you post ^^
Image Image Image

Windchimes
Veteran

#5 Post by Windchimes » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:44 am

@Harliqueen:
Thank you for the comment! :D We're really glad to hear that you are interested in the story so far!
Hmm, you're probably right about the price :P Hopefully the price we decide on in the end is reasonable and affordable for most otome fans!
Again, thank you for commenting!

@Amy_oai:
Thank you for leaving a comment! Happy to hear that you're interested in our game ^^
Thanks for your remark about the price! We definitely won't price TMK at 15 bucks or above, given the length of the game and the fact that it's our first commercial project, but thank you for the input!

Zelan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: bookSLEEPer, Stalker & Yandere
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan

#6 Post by Zelan » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:15 pm

I've always been drawn to fiction dealing with crime rings, secret organizations, and the like, so this should be pretty cool. The characters are interesting enough, but I feel like there aren't enough of them to really grab my interest. (It is listed that there are going to be 10 sprites, so I'm assuming that there are more characters that you haven't revealed for one reason or another.) The three characters that you have revealed seem to fall squarely into a few tropes: the tsundere protagonist, the suave, desirable love interest, and the cheerful childhood friend. I'm sure that there is more than just that to the characters, especially considering the setting, but the descriptions don't do the "more" any justice. The only one who really deviates pretty far from his archetype is Seth; he's described as having come to terms with his "irredeemable sins," which usually turns out a more bitter or reserved character, so I would be interested in seeing how that all plays out. Julius's temper is also something of a deviation, but he's not nearly as intriguing as Seth is. The protagonist seems pretty standard, if I'm being honest, although I am interested in the fact that she has no knowledge about the circumstances of her birth. That's less about her actual character, though, and more about her backstory.
2. Who is your favorite character at the moment? Seth. As explained above, he's the most interesting of the three because his personality seems the least hackneyed.
3. How much would you be willing to pay for this game? Or how much do you think would be a fair price for this game? Man, I hate this question. How does one put a price tag on art? :/ Dramatics aside... I'd say anything ranging from $7.50 - $12.00, based on the amount of content? It should probably be noted that this is absolutely NOT something that I have any experience in since I've never purchased a commercial VN before. I do agree with what Amy_oai said about having a point where I would consider more carefully, although I think my price threshold would be closer to $20 that $15.
4. Any other comments or questions? Is there a reason that the other 7 sprites haven't been revealed? My guesses would be that they either aren't finished, are spoilers, or aren't important enough to the plot, but it would be nice to know for certain. Are you planning to reveal any more sprites during development or will they stay under wraps until the final game?

Kumiho
Regular
Completed: Lads in Distress NaNo
Projects: The Thousandth Day
Tumblr: perenniallily

#7 Post by Kumiho » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:55 pm

Zelan wrote:
Thanks a ton for your comments!! ♥♥ We thought differently with regard to the characters, however. It seems we prioritized their backgrounds over their personalities in their profiles, hence the potential confusion ;o; While the characters certainly do fall into tropes [then again, few characters don't at their core ;)], we're not thinking of the same tropes for the characters LMAO.

For example, we don't consider Elvira a "tsundere" in the strictest sense -- our interpretation of tsunderes are characters who struggle to contain their temper / use venom to cover up their fluster. Meanwhile, Elvira has regressed completely as a result of past trauma to the point that she doesn't have high-strung emotions to cover up, at least in the beginning of the story! ;) Any cold words from her are out of an inability to empathize (since, to her, all words are equal & affect her the same way -- that is, not at all) rather than embarrassment or temper. If anything, Julius is much more of a tsundere LMAO, and he certainly won't be suave to Elvira. After all, he's not exactly happy that some strange, fishy girl is pretending to be his newly murdered fiancee in front of the London society -- especially when he's considered a murder suspect for Elvira to investigate. Finally, Seth... I'm sorry to disappoint you, but Seth isn't exactly bitter or reserved. While obviously he'll face his share of internal turmoil read:angst, he'll probably be the happiest, most excitable character in the game. x'D We hope you enjoy his route regardless ;o;

Regarding the sprites, none of the side characters have been completely drawn yet, sadly :cry: Please check back on the "progress" section in our first post for rough percentages of completion ~ Even if they were completed, though, details about most of the characters probably won't ever be revealed (that is, unless you play the game and see for yourself!), since they tend to be rather spoilery. In any case, the story does focus primarily on Elvira & her selected love interest, although the other characters will be developed and as well-rounded as we can make them within the limited word count!

Thanks again for the comments~ We really appreciate them & will be taking them into account! 8'D ♥♥♥♥ And oh gosh, we definitely won't be going over $20 for this game, so you don't need to worry about that! x'D
ImageImageImageImage

Zelan
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Zelan » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:24 pm

Kumiho wrote:Thanks a ton for your comments!! ♥♥ We thought differently with regard to the characters, however. It seems we prioritized their backgrounds over their personalities in their profiles, hence the potential confusion ;o; While the characters certainly do fall into tropes [then again, few characters don't at their core ;)], we're not thinking of the same tropes for the characters LMAO.

For example, we don't consider Elvira a "tsundere" in the strictest sense -- our interpretation of tsunderes are characters who struggle to contain their temper / use venom to cover up their fluster. Meanwhile, Elvira has regressed completely as a result of past trauma to the point that she doesn't have high-strung emotions to cover up, at least in the beginning of the story! ;) Any cold words from her are out of an inability to empathize (since, to her, all words are equal & affect her the same way -- that is, not at all) rather than embarrassment or temper. If anything, Julius is much more of a tsundere LMAO, and he certainly won't be suave to Elvira. After all, he's not exactly happy that some strange, fishy girl is pretending to be his newly murdered fiancee in front of the London society -- especially when he's considered a murder suspect for Elvira to investigate. Finally, Seth... I'm sorry to disappoint you, but Seth isn't exactly bitter or reserved. While obviously he'll face his share of internal turmoil read:angst, he'll probably be the happiest, most excitable character in the game. x'D We hope you enjoy his route regardless ;o;
I guess our definitions of 'tsundere' are different, then, since you basically described what I think of. cx (Your definition is probably the "right" one, though, since I sort of interpreted it how I thought made sense.)

Hmm, that does make Julius a lot more interesting. Usually the "eligible bachelor" types act all gentlemanly towards anyone, so the fact that he doesn't do that for Elvira is something I wouldn't have expected (although, given the circumstances you described, it does make a lot of sense).

And no worries about Seth! What I had meant was that I would have expected his character to be bitter, so the fact that he's the opposite of that is what interested me the most. ^_^ Sorry for the confusion! I have trouble wording things so that my thoughts are understandable sometimes.

I guess my final bit of advice for the future would be to consider leaning more towards the personalities of the characters than towards their backstories when making a summary, since I think that's what tends to get people's attention. I could be an exception, though, so see if anyone else has the same thoughts about it. c:

Windchimes
Veteran

Re: The Masquerade Killer[GxB/G/N][Otome|Regency|Mystery] RE

#9 Post by Windchimes » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:55 am

It's been a while since our last post here, because we switched to focus on Red String of Fate for a few months. Now that RSoF is finished (which, btw, you can check out here), we're back to work on this! However, now that we have experience from another project under our belt along with the improvement in our skills after these few months, we have decided to do a complete overhaul of the project!

First, there’ll be an upgrade to all the art of the game. This is the new sprite for the main character, Elvira. What do you think?

Secondly, we have decided that there will be two new love interests and routes for the game to make a total of four love interests! One of the new love interests will be female, while the other will be non-binary. We want to make sure that our game will make all our fans, including those with different sexual orientations, happy. Our artist is still hard at work drawing the sprites of the new love interests, but you can have a quick preview of their sketches here on our Tumblr.

Thirdly, since we are committing to making the project bigger and better, we have begun to commission 20+ beautiful background art and a full original soundtrack, as well as other assets like GUI, from talented artists/composers. We are currently paying out of the pocket, and we hope to do a Kickstarter in July to cover the expenses. Please consider supporting us when the time comes!

Speaking of commissioning, we now have a new logo for The Masquerade Killer, thanks to potouto! Check out our awesome new logo!

We'll be posting more updates as more assets are completed, so please stay tuned for more <3 Thank you!

Zelan
Eileen-Class Veteran

#10 Post by Zelan » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:37 pm

whOA that's different. :o Elvira's gorgeous.

I'm a bit torn because I liked how RSoF was with the two love interests, but at the same time I think it's really cool that you've added LIs of two other genders. I guess it does kinda make sense - more LIs means more content, and people tend to like their commercial games a bit longer.

I remember seeing that logo in potouto's thread! I was excited to see it since I figured it meant you guys were getting back to this project. Looking forward to seeing the new characters revealed!

Windchimes
Veteran

#11 Post by Windchimes » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:54 pm

@Zelan:

:D Our artist has improved so much, hasn't she? Glad you like the new art!

Oh, I'm glad to hear you like how RSoF was with 2 love interests because we used to be worried that 2 love interests is too little by modern otome standards (they seem to lean towards having more and more and more routes?) xD But yeah. We originally weren't going to go for Kickstarter for TMK and wanted to absorb the costs ourselves to make a small commercial otome to test the waters, but we enjoyed making RSoF and we got the experience we needed to work together as a team, so we were like: hell, why not go for bigger and better to make the commercial otome more worth the money for the buyers? Plus, we've had fans ask for more representation of different sexual orientation and genders, so we figured now is a good time to go for it ^^ (Especially since Perennial Lily LOVES writing GxG -- she almost died of joy when we agreed to do a GxG route xD)

Out of curiosity, what did you like about RSoF with 2 love interests? I'd like to see what we can take away from what we did well in RSoF and if we could still incorporate the dynamics or such in TMK as well ^^

Haha, potouto has done a wonderful job with the new logo, didn't they? We have actually been secretly commissioning artists/composer and working on outlining the new routes for TMK for a few weeks now :"D Just didn't want to announce it until more is done.

The next two chars to be posted will be old ones (Julius and Seth), just with new art, but don't worry, the two new love interests will come soon! <3

Thank you for commenting :"D

Zelan
Eileen-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Zelan » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:09 pm

Windchimes wrote::D Our artist has improved so much, hasn't she? Glad you like the new art!
Oh, yes, definitely. ^_^ It's always amazing to me how artists seem to get infinitely better over time. Like, I'll see art and think "Wow, that's great!" and then the same artist will post something 2 months later and I'll think, "Wow, that's GREATER!"
Out of curiosity, what did you like about RSoF with 2 love interests? I'd like to see what we can take away from what we did well in RSoF and if we could still incorporate the dynamics or such in TMK as well ^^
Well, when talking about VNs in general I like it when the other characters aren't forgotten just because the player is on a different character's route. It tends to be easier to incorporate all of the characters with a smaller cast. So RSoF, for example, although it didn't have overly many scenes featuring all three characters at one time, had those few scenes spaced out and written in such a way that I could tell that they were all close with one another.

Also, while lots of romance options can be cool, I feel like they make more of an impact when there are less characters. 4 isn't too many, of course, but if a VN only has, say, 1 love interest, I won't be picking a favorite out of a bunch; that one will have all of the impact it needs to. More routes can still have an effect, but to do so the romances have to be different enough that they're all likable and memorable in different ways.

I'm not sure if I got my point across since that was kinda rambly, but do you get what I'm trying to say? (I need to stop coming online at night - that's when I write these weird, half-awake paragraphs. cx)
The next two chars to be posted will be old ones (Julius and Seth), just with new art, but don't worry, the two new love interests will come soon! <3
Awesome!! I can't wait to see them. ^_^

Windchimes
Veteran

#13 Post by Windchimes » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:28 am

@Zelan:
Thanks for replying! <3 Sorry about the late response haha Been busy trying to sort out the nightmare that is Steam for RSoF >_<
Ohh, yes, I think I get what you mean. Hmm, I'll try and see what we can do, but I can at least say that in each route, while not ALL love interests will be in it frequently, usually around 2 other love interests will appear often. So, for example, if you're on Julius's route, you'll see Seth and the non-binary love interest a lot in different scenes. Each route is actually rather closely intertwined with each other in TMK, since, you know, there is the overarching plotline of the murder mystery. It'd be weird if you pick a route and then completely forget about your investigation mission. xD
On that note, we actually chose to go with 2 love interests again in our upcoming NaNo otome, so I'm glad to hear about what you think worked about the 3-character-cast dynamics, so thank you very much for letting us know your thoughts!

-

As revealed on our Tumblr earlier, Seth's new sprite has been completed as well! I have added his updated character profile to the first post, but here is the bigger, higher definition version of the character art. What do you think? :D

Next up will be Julius, which should be revealed in ~12 hours, and then it'll be the new love interests! Whoop~

Since we tend to reveal new content earlier on our Tumblr, consider giving us a follow on Tumblr to make sure you get the updates sooner! <3

Zelan
Eileen-Class Veteran

#14 Post by Zelan » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:25 pm

Ahh, good luck with Steam. I've heard that it's tough to get everything working on there.

Oh, yeah, of course I didn't expect every LI to be highlighted in every route. It DOES depend on the story; sometimes it even makes more sense not to have them in other routes. I just tend to prefer it that way. ^_^ As long as they all get some screen time, I'm cool with it.

Yeah, I saw your recruitment post! ^_^ I'm excited for NaNo this year, I think there'll be a lot of cool projects.

Seth's sprite looks fantastic! He looks so cheerful. <3 I love the way his hair is drawn.

Windchimes
Veteran

#15 Post by Windchimes » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:37 pm

@Zelan:
Yeah >_< Steam is seriously overly complicated. ;;
Yep, the other characters will have some screen time in each route, likely ^^
I'm very excited for NaNo too! I have a talented team again this year, and I'm so excited to get started on that project.
Thanks for the compliment on Seth's sprite! :"D Glad that you like it!

-

Slightly late, since we already revealed this on Tumblr, but here's Julius's new sprite!

What do you think? o: Do you like the new art more?

The new love interests will be up next ^_^ Hope you guys are excited!