Ethereal Creatures [Otome, Supernatural, 18+][Demo]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
LadyOfGatsby
Veteran
Projects: Ethereal Creatures

Re: Ethereal Creatures [Otome, Supernatural, 18+]

#61 Post by LadyOfGatsby »

An important change in the script is that we have decided to only include important choices in the common route that affect the elements of the story, rather than affection choices to determine the romance route. In turn, it will allow you to get to know each character before making the crucial decision. Once in the individual routes, player can proceed to gain affection towards the bad or the good end.

Art progress includes an almost finished GUI with the exception of the main menu and font which will change upon future release.

A few more finished backgrounds!
That’s all for the updates today. We are currently looking for a chibi artist as well as someone who can draw tiny objects.
ImageImage

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Simple as Snow, Lady Luck's Due,
Projects: Aether Skies, Of the Waterfall
Tumblr: casting-dreams
itch: castingdreams

#62 Post by wyverngem »

Really love the backgrounds. Your artist did a wonderful job on the highlights on the car.

LadyOfGatsby
Veteran

#63 Post by LadyOfGatsby »

wyverngem wrote:Really love the backgrounds. Your artist did a wonderful job on the highlights on the car.
Yes Angela is amazing! :3

GUI is officially done, a preview of the main menu Mio did for the game.
ImageImage

gothicat

#64 Post by gothicat »

Wow, this looks like a really interesting game. And 18+? This is rare in the world of english otome games, so color me very intrigued and happy.

For the answers:
1. Who is your favorite character and why?
For the heroine to romance, Oz. He has the most "unique" type of supernatural among the bachelors, and I always have a huge soft spot for nice guys. And as the youngest child of my family with similar low self esteem issues, I sympathize with him. I look forward to see how his relationship towards his family is shown in the game.

In terms of it being purely interesting plotwise (meaning it might not ever even be close to being my favourite route since I love to see my heroines happy and well treated, but I'll enjoy playing through it regardless) it's Ian's. Everything about his story just yells "yandere who will not handle rejection" to me, or at least "will give the heroine self worth issues due to only liking her for her resemblance to someone else".

Let me just say, I hate "destiny" and "reincarnation" stories. Even in beloved anime like Sailor Moon, I despise that trope. I think it cheapens the connection between the characters, since if it's "destiny", their actions towards each other don't really matter. They can be complete jerks and have horrible chemistry but always end up together in the end, cause lol, "it's destiny". Many times it is used as a cheap cop out so authors don't have to work into making a believable and sweet relationship. The "reincarnation" trope is also used in a similar fashion to make a relationship "deep" and "romantic" without having to really work for it. And I have serious trouble with the concept anyways. I don't believe that just because a character inherits another character's soul, that makes them the same person. What about the new characters memories, their different families and experiences in life? All of that helps shape their personality and their views about life, not just their "soul". So because of that, I feel like the other character doesn't truly love the reincarnated character, they're only using them as a replacement goldfish for the dead character. And that is not okay.

But why am I then interested in Ian's route? Well, I'm always searching for media that takes those cliched concepts and does something else with them. Doesn't need to be big. Having the reincarnated character just consider their individuality, that they don't have to love the person their soul previously did, even just them questioning the other character's love, is enough for me. And I hope to see some that in Ian's route.

2. What do you think about the story?
A world with no humans does sound fairly interesting. I am used to pursuing various supernatural creatures as a human girl. Pursuing them in a setting where humans don't even exist, not so much. This means that the heroine will be on equal footing with the guys, instead of the usual "the guys do everything because the heroine is just a weak human" thing. I look forward to that.

3. Any suggestions or comments you have towards this game?
None, other than the fact that I hope to see something interesting in each route. I'm already glad that Warren is a single father, since that is something unique in the otome world, and I hope to see other fresh ideas in the other routes, or as I mentioned on my previous rant, a play on the typical tropes. Especially with Ian, but also V'laine, since vampires are usually so stereotypical.

4. If we do launch a kickstarter, what would you like to see?
A demo is the least to ask. Also, do not go crazy with the backer rewards, I've seen that stuff go wrong way too many times. Aim for something achievable, even if it is humble.

LadyOfGatsby
Veteran

#65 Post by LadyOfGatsby »

gothicat wrote:Wow, this looks like a really interesting game. And 18+? This is rare in the world of english otome games, so color me very intrigued and happy.

For the answers:
For the heroine to romance, Oz. He has the most "unique" type of supernatural among the bachelors, and I always have a huge soft spot for nice guys. And as the youngest child of my family with similar low self esteem issues, I sympathize with him. I look forward to see how his relationship towards his family is shown in the game.

In terms of it being purely interesting plotwise (meaning it might not ever even be close to being my favourite route since I love to see my heroines happy and well treated, but I'll enjoy playing through it regardless) it's Ian's. Everything about his story just yells "yandere who will not handle rejection" to me, or at least "will give the heroine self worth issues due to only liking her for her resemblance to someone else".

Let me just say, I hate "destiny" and "reincarnation" stories. Even in beloved anime like Sailor Moon, I despise that trope. I think it cheapens the connection between the characters, since if it's "destiny", their actions towards each other don't really matter. They can be complete jerks and have horrible chemistry but always end up together in the end, cause lol, "it's destiny". Many times it is used as a cheap cop out so authors don't have to work into making a believable and sweet relationship. The "reincarnation" trope is also used in a similar fashion to make a relationship "deep" and "romantic" without having to really work for it. And I have serious trouble with the concept anyways. I don't believe that just because a character inherits another character's soul, that makes them the same person. What about the new characters memories, their different families and experiences in life? All of that helps shape their personality and their views about life, not just their "soul". So because of that, I feel like the other character doesn't truly love the reincarnated character, they're only using them as a replacement goldfish for the dead character. And that is not okay.

But why am I then interested in Ian's route? Well, I'm always searching for media that takes those cliched concepts and does something else with them. Doesn't need to be big. Having the reincarnated character just consider their individuality, that they don't have to love the person their soul previously did, even just them questioning the other character's love, is enough for me. And I hope to see some that in Ian's route.

A world with no humans does sound fairly interesting. I am used to pursuing various supernatural creatures as a human girl. Pursuing them in a setting where humans don't even exist, not so much. This means that the heroine will be on equal footing with the guys, instead of the usual "the guys do everything because the heroine is just a weak human" thing. I look forward to that.

None, other than the fact that I hope to see something interesting in each route. I'm already glad that Warren is a single father, since that is something unique in the otome world, and I hope to see other fresh ideas in the other routes, or as I mentioned on my previous rant, a play on the typical tropes. Especially with Ian, but also V'laine, since vampires are usually so stereotypical.

A demo is the least to ask. Also, do not go crazy with the backer rewards, I've seen that stuff go wrong way too many times. Aim for something achievable, even if it is humble.
Oz definitely seems to be the most popular in terms of looks and character ^ ^ Ian's route will definitely not follow the cliche trope of because of destiny, you will see that in the first meeting and things such as new experiences and realization of individuality will be addressed :) We aim to make each background of characters as realistic as possible which is why we are doing careful considerations on themes and such to make it truly real and satisfying. We also did want to make her equal on terms of knowing her place and on the same level as the guys. Of course she's not invincible but she is her own person which makes it her strength. (This however takes away from the absurd amount of choices and therefore will lessen them). As you have said, V'laine's may be the hardest since vampires are typically overused and generalized in most games. We're going to have to be careful with his route haha.

For your kickstarter suggestions, it is very helpful since we wouldn't want to be too overwhelmed. Thanks for your detailed response!
ImageImage

LadyOfGatsby
Veteran

#66 Post by LadyOfGatsby »

I lost contact with my programmer and am looking for a new one! Pm me or send an email my way please. Preferable, experience with ren'py, script, and GUI implementation
ImageImage

Amberbaum
Regular

#67 Post by Amberbaum »

LadyOfGatsby wrote:I lost contact with my programmer and am looking for a new one! Pm me or send an email my way please. Preferable, experience with ren'py, script, and GUI implementation
If that doesn't work you can always do a status update on your tumblr account ( receive help from otome blogs) and try to look through here: https://www.storydevs.com/about

I hope you find a new programmer soon. Best wishes to you and your team :)

LadyOfGatsby
Veteran

#68 Post by LadyOfGatsby »

Amberbaum wrote:
LadyOfGatsby wrote:I lost contact with my programmer and am looking for a new one! Pm me or send an email my way please. Preferable, experience with ren'py, script, and GUI implementation
If that doesn't work you can always do a status update on your tumblr account ( receive help from otome blogs) and try to look through here: https://www.storydevs.com/about

I hope you find a new programmer soon. Best wishes to you and your team :)
That's awesome, thanks!
ImageImage

LadyOfGatsby
Veteran

#69 Post by LadyOfGatsby »

We’re almost there. Our demo will be released on Valentine’s Day, February 14th!
ImageImage

Honorjoy

#70 Post by Honorjoy »

LadyOfGatsby wrote:We’re almost there. Our demo will be released on Valentine’s Day, February 14th!
Sounds really exciting! I'll have something to look forward then! I'll make a note to write down my comments on a sheet of paper.

LadyOfGatsby
Veteran

#71 Post by LadyOfGatsby »

Honorjoy wrote:
LadyOfGatsby wrote:We’re almost there. Our demo will be released on Valentine’s Day, February 14th!
Sounds really exciting! I'll have something to look forward then! I'll make a note to write down my comments on a sheet of paper.
That would be lovely and extremely helpful of you to do so!
ImageImage

sakurakimuchi
Regular

#72 Post by sakurakimuchi »

It's really hard to say, because for the first time in my life I'm interested in all of them! I wanna know more about all of the characters, honestly. I really like Oz and Warren's design and I'm dying to know more about L and Ian, so I'm torn.
But I'm absolutely crazy about vampires, so if I had to pick a favorite it would be V'laine. I obviously love the fact that he is a vampire, but I also loved his design and his character description, he looks like he is full of sass and is overall so alluring and I like that.
But they're all interesting and good looking! I really loved Anika's design as well xD~
Otome mixed with supernatural stuff is my favorite genre of game, so I guess that pretty much says it all haha.
None. I just wish to know more about the characters and see more of the artwork because it's really good!
Like I said above, more of the artwork and characters, maybe? Idk.

I'm really excited for this game! Good luck with it~

LadyOfGatsby
Veteran

#73 Post by LadyOfGatsby »

sakurakimuchi wrote:1. Who is your favorite character and why?
It's really hard to say, because for the first time in my life I'm interested in all of them! I wanna know more about all of the characters, honestly. I really like Oz and Warren's design and I'm dying to know more about L and Ian, so I'm torn.
But I'm absolutely crazy about vampires, so if I had to pick a favorite it would be V'laine. I obviously love the fact that he is a vampire, but I also loved his design and his character description, he looks like he is full of sass and is overall so alluring and I like that.
But they're all interesting and good looking! I really loved Anika's design as well xD~
Otome mixed with supernatural stuff is my favorite genre of game, so I guess that pretty much says it all haha.
None. I just wish to know more about the characters and see more of the artwork because it's really good!
Like I said above, more of the artwork and characters, maybe? Idk.

I'm really excited for this game! Good luck with it~
Haha I'm glad to know that you like all of the characters. All of them definitely have their own unique traits and personality that we did hope players would come to love. Yay finally someone who really likes V'laine :) Yeah supernatural is definitely popular and a genre we would like to explore. We will release an artbook through kickstarter and hope to have Tokiria the original artist draw more amazing art and new facts about the characters. Thank you for the support!
ImageImage

LadyOfGatsby
Veteran

#74 Post by LadyOfGatsby »

Unfortunately, we won’t meet the demo deadline and it will be delayed until late February or early March. We have everything coded in. There’s some minor bug fixes. As well as additional music, sound effects, and animal sprite we are waiting for. We aim to make our demo as polished as possible and therefore will have to delay the primary release as scheduled on Valentine’s Day. With that said, we look forward to having our next update being a demo release of our game.

We have a sketch of Oz by the amazing JWhitney, guess what bird he is?
ImageImage

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#75 Post by Zelan »

Ahhh, jeez, I was never good at birds. A jay?