Eight Sweets (1960s/Romance/Slice of Life)[Yuri Jam 2016](COMPLETED)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

Eight Sweets (1960s/Romance/Slice of Life)[Yuri Jam 2016](COMPLETED)

#1 Post by Katy133 »

Available on Itchio || Completed Lemmasoft Thread

Free || Romance/Slice of Life

The year is 1966. While Robin is taking a round-the-world trip,
Heather stays in her hometown to run her bakery and sweets shop.
The two of them have been attempting to keep a long-distance relationship,
but Heather seems to be feeling the strain of it with every passing day...

Image Image
Heather________________________Robin

- Multiple endings: Nine different endings.
- Randomly-generated events: The game plays out differently with each playthrough.
- OpenDyslexic font option: Allows you to switch game's dialogue default typeface with OpenDyslexic.

Writer/Artist/Programmer ........ Katy133
Writer ...................................... LucentCatty

Made for the 2016 Yuri Game Jam

1. First impressions in general?
2. Any characters that you're already interested in? Or characters you're already skeptical about?
3. What are your thoughts on the 1960's aesthetics? (Not just for this game in particular, but 1960s-related aesthetics in general.)
4. Comments on the vector/minimalist art style?
5. Thoughts on the idea of randomly-generated events? (Stuff you're concerned about or interested in.)
6. Other critique/suggestions/questions? Let me know!

Planned release: 1st of November, 2016 2017.
Last edited by Katy133 on Mon May 13, 2019 11:57 am, edited 5 times in total.
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!

Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

Re: Eight Sweets (1960s/Romance/Slice of Life)[Yuri Jam 2016

#2 Post by Morhighan »

Good luck you two! Have a great yuri jam! :D

femslashfatale
Regular
Projects: Match Made in Heaven, Worlds Without You, Fight or Flirt!

#3 Post by femslashfatale »

I like the art, and the long-distance relationship concept!
2. Any characters that you're already interested in? Or characters you're already skeptical about?
Heather and Robin both seem pretty cute! I'm curious on why Robin's taking a round-the-world trip, though.
3. What are your thoughts on the 1960's aesthetics? (Not just for this game in particular, but 1960s-related aesthetics in general.)
I have no idea what it consists of?
It's cute! As long as it gets across what you want, I think it's good.
5. Thoughts on the idea of randomly-generated events? (Stuff you're concerned about or interested in.)
I really have no idea what events exactly would happen... Sounds cool, though.
6. Other critique/suggestions/questions? Let me know!
Nothing, really. I look forward to your release! :D

Fuseblower
Regular
Projects: Mall Macabre, Slushball Slasher, Doomed Diner, Tenkeiteki Tokyo
itch: fuseblower

#4 Post by Fuseblower »

The style actually looks more like the early 70s to me although there was a lot of overlap. I like the style. I would be careful with the values of the colors though. Heather's hair gets swamped by that light pink (her face doesn't pop much either against that yellow background).

I'd love to see famous landmarks in this drawing style (like the Eiffel tower and stuff).

So here are my 2 cents :

Why is Heather on a world trip and doesn't take her friend/partner along? I'm sure there's a pretty good reason for it and I'd like to read about that reason in the story.

It's a period piece so I guess special attention has to be given to certain things. Like communication : making long distance phone calls were prohibitively expensive. So I guess they have to write letters (no internet, no e-mail, no VoIP, no nuthin'). Also : for a woman in the 60s to have her own business was kinda special. Emancipation was only talked about back then, it hadn't happened yet.

I'm not too sure about the random thing but I'll just wait and see how that pans out :D

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Trial By Fire, Heartbaked, Ellaria, Plain, This My Soul, The Pretenders Guild
Projects: Arena Circus
Tumblr: minyanstudios
itch: harlevin

#5 Post by minyan »

I'm interested to see how Heather and Robin work through (or fail to work through) their difficulties! I'm intrigued by the randomly generated events and looking forward to how things can play out!

Same with Fuseblower, I'm curious as to why Heather is taking a round the world trip alone xD But, we shall see!

I do like the aesthetics, in particular the bright colors are appealing.

It's a very different art style than you see in most VNs, so I'm interested in seeing how it looks like in game. The characters are very cute though!

I'm wondering how the events being random rather than choice based will effect things, I know one of my favorite parts of VNs is getting able to affect how everything ends up. Hopefully this won't take away from that aspect. On the other hand, the idea of every play through being different is an exciting one.

Good luck!
ImageImage

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.

Re: Eight Sweets (1960s/Romance/Slice of Life)[Yuri Jam 2016]

#6 Post by Katy133 »

Update: I'm continuing work on Eight Sweets for IntRenAiMo (NaNoRenO for wip games).

Current word count: 10,674
ImageImage

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Eight Sweets (1960s/Romance/Slice of Life)[Yuri Jam 2016](COMPLETED)

#7 Post by Katy133 »

Update: Eight Sweets is now ready to play!

Available on Itchio || Completed Lemmasoft Thread
ImageImage

Matalla
Veteran
Completed: Max Power and the Egyptian Beetle Case, The Candidate, The Last Hope, El cajón del viejo escritorio, Clementina y la luna roja, Caught in Orbit, Dirty Business Ep 0, Medianoche de nuevo, The Lost Smile
itch: matalla-interactive

#8 Post by Matalla »

I didn't know where to post this, if here or in the completed thread, but... There are some parts where there are 2 music tracks sounding at the same time. I don't know if it's one of those random events, but in the first scene after the breakfast, when receiving a package, what I supose is the music for the package scene starts playing while the previous music is still playing, and both keeps sounding until the package part ends. I don't think it's intentional, as it's highly annoying. And I'd swear there were something similar before (2 tracks playing at the same time), but it ended quickly and after the initial confussion, I'm not really sure.

I choosed to make grilled cheese, I don't know if it's relevant, but if that helps you to track the issue...

I like the overall style of the art, that was the reason I tried to play, since the slice of life or the yuri themes don't interest me much.
Comunidad Ren'Py en español (Discord)
Honest Critique

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Katy133 »

Matalla wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:13 am I didn't know where to post this, if here or in the completed thread, but... There are some parts where there are 2 music tracks sounding at the same time. I don't know if it's one of those random events, but in the first scene after the breakfast, when receiving a package, what I supose is the music for the package scene starts playing while the previous music is still playing, and both keeps sounding until the package part ends. I don't think it's intentional, as it's highly annoying. And I'd swear there were something similar before (2 tracks playing at the same time), but it ended quickly and after the initial confussion, I'm not really sure.

I choosed to make grilled cheese, I don't know if it's relevant, but if that helps you to track the issue...
Hmm... that's odd. May I ask what you played the VN on (Windows, Mac, Linux)? I'm trying to reproduce the issue.
ImageImage

Matalla
Veteran
Completed: Max Power and the Egyptian Beetle Case, The Candidate, The Last Hope, El cajón del viejo escritorio, Clementina y la luna roja, Caught in Orbit, Dirty Business Ep 0, Medianoche de nuevo, The Lost Smile

#10 Post by Matalla »

Katy133 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:17 pm Hmm... that's odd. May I ask what you played the VN on (Windows, Mac, Linux)? I'm trying to reproduce the issue.
Windows.

BTW, I just started a game again and didn't happen. I choosed again grilled cheese, but the package came from another place. This time it was Japan, the other came from Africa.
Honest Critique

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Katy133 »

Matalla wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:24 am
Katy133 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:17 pm Hmm... that's odd. May I ask what you played the VN on (Windows, Mac, Linux)? I'm trying to reproduce the issue.
Windows.

BTW, I just started a game again and didn't happen. I choosed again grilled cheese, but the package came from another place. This time it was Japan, the other came from Africa.
Ah, thank you. I'll double-check the VN's script to make sure that the music has been properly programmed for the package from Japan.
ImageImage

Matalla
Veteran

#12 Post by Matalla »

Upon further testing, I couldn't replicate the error. I'm starting to think that it's an issue with my antivirus which first blocked the exe for a minute while scanning it, and then started the game without certain parts of sound (maybe some channels?). I restarted the game, but some of these problems could have lingered through the next playthrough. Now all seems to run smoothly.

Don't worry about the antivirus thing. For some reason, AVG doesn't like much renpy executables (it also blocks mines for a deep scan, though I never had a problem with the sound after it finishes).

Sorry for bothering you for nothing.
Honest Critique