The Rose of Segunda [GxB] [GxG] [Fantasy] [Commercial] COMPLETED

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
blackcross12
Regular
Completed: The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea, The Rose of Segunda, Homecoming, Heaven's Grave,
Projects: Best Friends Forever [IP], The Thorns of War [IP], Rise of the Phoenix [IP]
Organization: Blackcross & Taylor
Tumblr: blackcross-taylor
itch: blackcrosstaylor

The Rose of Segunda [GxB] [GxG] [Fantasy] [Commercial] COMPLETED

#1 Post by blackcross12 »

In the kingdom of Segunda, the Crown Prince’s birthday celebrations are traditionally where he is expected to choose a bride. Your mother, the Duchess of Florentia, is very keen for her only daughter to become the next queen, so she sends you and your mischievous brother, Frederique, along with your family’s steward, Bastien, to the fortnight-long celebrations. Of course, just because your mother has her gaze fixed upon the Prince, does not mean you must follow suit.

Will you act like the perfect lady and convince the King to select you as the Prince's betrothed, or show your true colours and perhaps catch another's eye?

Check out the full game here: https://blackcrosstaylor.itch.io/

The Cast

Iolanthe* di Parisi (MC*Name can be changed)

“Every rose has its thorns.”

A girl who, though she might be able to demonstrate every aspect of being the ideal princess, could have other ideas. Choices at the beginning of the game will determine her personality, from loudmouth tomboy to cunning saboteur, and these will in turn influence the choices you can make in-game.

Frederique di Parisi

“I am your man to the last, sister.”
Your brother and best friend. He’s a bit lazy and a troublemaker, but he is loyal and will help in any way he can – whether he agrees or not

Bastien Aubert, Under-Steward of House di Parisi
“Even I must be bound by bonds of duty and reason.”
The shy, soft-hearted son of your mother’s loyal Steward, Bastien is eager to prove himself to his father, your household and most of all himself. He will do anything he can to help you win, though he will probably be nervous about a lot of it.

Francesca D’Allegri

“You only brought a dozen dress? My, it is almost as if you are poor!”
The eldest daughter of one of the lesser noble houses, Francesca makes up for her lack of title with an excess of cunning.

Albertine Parsouffe
“Do you play? I am versed in the viola, piano and flute - though I do not like to boast.”
An excellent musician and hostess, Albertine is well aware of her accomplishments, though this self-assuredness could be her downfall.

Charlotte De Souza
“Like a competition? But I thought this would be friendly…”
A rival in name only, Charlotte is beautiful, sweet-natured, but sadly, a little too dim to stand a chance against the other ladies.

Sofia Venitti
“I preferred books to people. Or so I thought…”
The eldest daughter of a wealthy merchant family who has managed to curry enough favour to secure an invite, Sofia seems little more than a charming ingénue. Does anything more lie beneath the surface?

Leopold Stavizzi, Duke of Tremere
“You are not like the other ladies here… It is a welcome change.”
Cool, calm and collected, Duke Leopold is one of the few young men in attendance. He seems to have his own reasons for attending the celebrations outside of the usual entertainments, though what they are is anyone’s guess.

Crown Prince Guillaume
“They do not wish to marry me – they wish to marry The Prince.”
The young man all eyes will be on, Guillaume is intelligent, charming and well-liked, and he is searching for the perfect princess - or so his father says.

Staff
Blackcross & Taylor - Writing and coding
Sprites and CGs - Ayachin
Backgrounds - Fuyunokawa
GUI - MakeFox

Hello all

Thanks for reading. I’ve been working on this game since Nano16. The Fates conspired against a release back then, but we’re back now.

The game itself was written in full waaay back in March – well, it was until I decided to add a secret romance path, which brought the word count up to about 60,000 words, so we’re planning for a Q1/2 2017 release.

The game will be commercial – we need to cover costs, if nothing else – but I’m hoping to keep this at around the £5-7 mark.

Anyway, any feedback on the concept so far would be great. I'll keep posting the art/progress as it is made, and I’ll see about getting a demo up before the end of the year.

Thanks again for reading

-Blackcross & Taylor
Last edited by blackcross12 on Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:57 am, edited 16 times in total.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: The Rose of Segunda [GxB] [GxG] [Fantasy] [Commercial]

#2 Post by Zelan »

Oh my gosh, this game looks amazing! :o It seems somewhat cliché, but at the same time...I don't care that it's cliché? Your character descriptions have just sort of drawn me in.

I can't speak for the writing since I haven't seen it yet, but that art is definitely worthy of a commercial game. ^_^

blackcross12
Regular
Completed: The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea, The Rose of Segunda, Homecoming, Heaven's Grave,
Projects: Best Friends Forever [IP], The Thorns of War [IP], Rise of the Phoenix [IP]

#3 Post by blackcross12 »

Hello all

Well, it's been a while since the last post (which, sadly, was the first post, too). There has been another round of staff changes, but I'm happy to say we are in production once again.

This time we have LoiLoi working on the sprites and CGS, while MakeFox will be working on the backgrounds.

As I mentioned in the last post, I added a secret romance path last October and, in the time since then, I've added another romance path as well, because why not? ^_^

So there currently six romanceable characters- can you guess who?

Anyway, thanks for reading

Blackcross

Hazel
Regular
Projects: Wreath of Roses, BookSLEEPer, Girlfriend Material
Tumblr: zincalloygames
itch: zincalloy

#4 Post by Hazel »

this looks very interesting. I look forward to seeing how you progress with your new team. Good luck!
Image Image

BookSLEEPer (writer) * Girlfriend Material (writer/programmer)

blackcross12
Regular

#5 Post by blackcross12 »

Thanks, Hazel - I'm determined to finish this game (even if we seem to go through sprite artists like Spinal Tap drummers).

I love your profile picture, by the way - very 'on brand' ^_^

Blackcross

blackcross12
Regular

#6 Post by blackcross12 »

Hello all

And Francesca is up! Many thanks to sprite artist, LoiLoi. ^_^

LoiLoi will be working on the rest of the ladies over the coming weeks (Albertine, Sofia and Charlotte), so I hope to get some sketches of the girls posted in the next few days.

Thanks for reading

Blackcross

blackcross12
Regular

#7 Post by blackcross12 »

Hello all

Sketches for Sofia and Albertine have been added to the main post, with Charlotte's to follow. Not much else to report - coding is slowly advancing with each new sprite finished, and I'm working on the new route I plan to add, as well.

Thanks for reading

Blackcross

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#8 Post by Zelan »

Art sucks now I kid, I kid. The characters are all adorable, especially Iolanthe. Those big green eyes are killer. <3

Man, as for the romance routes...I'm going to assume that the brother isn't one, so that leaves 7 other characters. I'm not sure which is NOT the romance route, but I hope that Charlotte and Sofia both have routes. They're my favorites. ^_^

Hazel
Regular

#9 Post by Hazel »

So far I like the look of Francesca best, but I think Sofia's sketch and description look really promising!
Image Image

illuminate001
Veteran
Completed: DSGR, Let's MEAT Adam, Sexy Litter, Bara Boarders
Projects: Secret Project
Organization: Soulsoft Electronic Arts
Tumblr: soulsoftea
itch: soulsoftea

#10 Post by illuminate001 »

Hi Blackcross12,

I see that you've began this project last year, how is the development cycle going for you (and/or your team) thus far? Anyways I don't normally play GxG games (I know you have a Boy option) but the designs for all the ladies are sooo pretty! The coloring is soft, their facial expressions denote inner beauty and something more under the surface. I'm excited to see how this develops.
ImageImage
ImageImage

blackcross12
Regular

#11 Post by blackcross12 »

@Zelan - Ah, I'm glad to hear that and I'm sure LoiLoi will be, too. And you're in luck, Charlotte and Sofia are on the romance list. Charlotte was actually one of the extra ones I added - she just grew on me more and more as I wrote her until I decided she needed her own path.

@Hazel - Sorry, Francesca is one of two people you can't romance, but I hope you'll enjoy locking horns with her instead. ^_^

@illuminate001 - Well, development is progressing at a decent clip now, but it was very stilted to begin with due to art issues. But perhaps that was all for the best since it has given me more time to refine the script and add two new routes. Thanks for your feedback on the sprites, I'll be sure to pass the compliments on.
I actually finished playing Let's Meat Adam the other day and I'm still trying to get my thoughts coalesced enough for some coherent feedback. I think I'll tackle that this weekend.

Thanks for the comments

Blackcross

illuminate001
Veteran
Completed: DSGR, Let's MEAT Adam, Sexy Litter, Bara Boarders
Projects: Secret Project
Organization: Soulsoft Electronic Arts
Tumblr: soulsoftea
itch: soulsoftea

#12 Post by illuminate001 »

Oh! Glad to see you picked up my game! :)
I can sense by the way you phrased it, that LMA had you abit frazzled perhaps? In anycase I'd love to hear your thoughts on it in the main post sometime.

Also yes it sounds like things did pan out the way they did on Rose of Segunda for a reason. I'm hoping to see more art previews eventually. An example of your BG's would probably be a good thing to post up on here and give people a bigger view of the final.
ImageImage
ImageImage

blackcross12
Regular

#13 Post by blackcross12 »

@illuminate001 - Hmm, not so much frazzled, but it raised some interesting issues for me, so I can't just sum things up with a 'Yeah, it was good.' ^_^

Backgrounds may be a little while. MakeFox is finishing off 'Devil and the Deep Blue Sea' first, and then working on 'Homecoming', but he may be able to fit in a couple for this one if it will help bring things together for people.

Hazel
Regular

#14 Post by Hazel »

blackcross12 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:09 pm @Hazel - Sorry, Francesca is one of two people you can't romance, but I hope you'll enjoy locking horns with her instead. ^_^
That's even better in my book. I do love a good rivalry.
Image Image

blackcross12
Regular

#15 Post by blackcross12 »

Hello All

I've added Sofia to the main post and that means we have all our ladies finished. ^_^

Now come the last three men, who I am hoping to get the sketches for this week, so I'll post them once I do

Thanks for reading

Blackcross