Maid Mansion [BxG] [Eroge/Dating Sim/Romance] [RELEASED ON 11/13/20!!]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Maid Mansion [BxG] [Eroge/Dating Sim/Romance] [Commercia

#31 Post by Zelan »

What do you think of incorporating separate layers for eye movement?

It's a great idea! There's not much to say about it besides what you've already said, but it definitely brings a little more life into the sprite.

Crazy Cactus
Regular

#32 Post by Crazy Cactus »

@Zelan - Thank you for saying so!

I believe and hope that I might get that blinking action in at a later time, if possible to do so. At the very least, I wanted to be able to do this to make all the characters expressions be more dynamic.

Its for that very same reason I'm trying to have several layers for applicable CGs, to make things feel more real, and to hopefully get our readers more involved with the story and feel more involved with the bigger parts of the story. I hope to reveal more snippets about some of those upcoming CGs very soon!

Crazy Cactus
Regular

#33 Post by Crazy Cactus »

UPDATE #7:

Hey everyone, just a quick update tonight. Sunasrose will be starting on the trailer today/tomorrow and will hopefully be done before the week is over, so that will definitely be the "big" update for around that time. Demo is still being worked on as we speak.

The major exciting thing that I wanted to "cap" today off with was that Shunkaku delivered one of the general-audience CGs for me to check out and I thought she did a wonderful job. This is Yuu (early on in the game) heading to the mansion where Takako (head maid) greets you at the door to your new home. This is the shot of the CG you will see before she humbly bows before Yuu...
What do you think of the CG? Overall thoughts on quality, style, etc are all appreciated.

As always, thank you everyone for stopping by and hope to have BIG news this upcoming week!!

Crazy Cactus
Regular

#34 Post by Crazy Cactus »

UPDATE #8:

CG UPDATE:
As mentioned previously, some CGs during story WILL have multiple layers to them, in a way to breathe more life into key story moments.
SPRITES UPDATE:
Also, the main page (first post) was updated to include the finished sprite for Miyuki Toritaka (the strict government inspector) and her character profile has been thus added. Nice to add another curvy, beautiful lady to the cast, but mark my words; Miyuki isn't the type to suffer fools. So watch your step!
STORY UPDATE:
In story news, I spoke with B E A N, and in order to deliver the best story, even if only the main funding goal of $8.5k is met, we have come to an agreement to increase the original story length from an estimated 40k words to 45k. This will give B E A N the extra story "wiggle room" to really flesh out the multiple endings, and to give players the sense that their decisions can, and will, result in some good, and some very bad endings for Yuu. Playing as Yuu, players will be walking a tightrope as you get closer to the end, (at least, that is our goal).

QUESTIONS:
1. Any thoughts about our CGs?

2. Any questions about Miyuki or one of the other ladies...? :D

Thanks everyone for your time, and love to hear from you!!

Crazy Cactus
Regular

#35 Post by Crazy Cactus »

UPDATE #9:

Was hoping for a bit of a bigger update tonight, but still, I would like to share some of the songs that will be in Maid Mansion, namely, three tracks completed much earlier this year by Mellownightz, and the main theme is what we will currently be using in our upcoming trailer, courtesy of Sunasrose.

Wish I could embed the soundcloud elements directly into the thread, but I can't. I guess that's something LemmaSoft doesn't allow or is unable to do? Now I just feel silly posting the hyperlinks without being able to embed the tracks.

*Song titles subject to change...

Maid Mansion -- Main Theme
https://soundcloud.com/crazy-cactus-ent ... main-theme

Maid Mansion -- Melancholy
https://soundcloud.com/crazy-cactus-ent ... melancholy

Maid Mansion -- Solitude
https://soundcloud.com/crazy-cactus-ent ... n-solitude

Questions:
1) What do you think about the music?

2) Which one of the three is your favorite?

indoneko
Miko-Class Veteran

#36 Post by indoneko »

The new CG is nice. I like the sprite's coloring, though I'm curious about the maid's hand's position. Assuming that it was a normal/relax pose, why did she put her hand at slightly off center position?
My avatar is courtesy of Mellanthe

Crazy Cactus
Regular

#37 Post by Crazy Cactus »

indoneko wrote:The new CG is nice. I like the sprite's coloring, though I'm curious about the maid's hand's position. Assuming that it was a normal/relax pose, why did she put her hand at slightly off center position?
Ah, that's just because Takako always wants to look prim and proper, and is mindful of all the ways in which she represents herself. If she's not holding anything, she'll typically be gently resting her hands in front of her in that way. Even when angry or frustrated, she still stays in a similar like pose and doesn't wave her hands around as she thinks it rude and unbecoming. Let's just say she's a very uptight woman and places a large emphasis on how a maid, and more specifically, how she feels a lady should always act.

Thanks for your comment indoneko and hope to hear more from you in future updates. All feedback means a lot to me and the rest of the team!!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#38 Post by Zelan »

1) What do you think about the music?
I like it! c: You can never go wrong with piano music.
The main theme wasn't anything mind-glowingly memorable, but I did like it; it was a little more subdued than I would usually think for a main theme, but that makes sense given your story. I do think that this one was cut off a little bit abruptly - I expected one more note.
Solitude is great and has a lot of feeling, but the strings are too overpowering. I can tell that they're supposed to be more prominent than in the other songs to emphasize the emotion, but the piano is supposed to have the melody. It's hard to hear over those strings. If it's possible to edit the songs, I would suggest backing them off a bit.
All of that being said, it should definitely be taken into account that 1) I am only one person listening to these, 2) I'm listening with headphones, which sometimes lie to you, and 3) I can't see the audio levels on my screen (I was always better at using those to judge).
Man, now I miss my audio engineering class. :/

Melancholy, without a doubt.

Crazy Cactus
Regular

#39 Post by Crazy Cactus »

Zelan wrote:1) What do you think about the music?
I like it! c: You can never go wrong with piano music.
The main theme wasn't anything mind-glowingly memorable, but I did like it; it was a little more subdued than I would usually think for a main theme, but that makes sense given your story. I do think that this one was cut off a little bit abruptly - I expected one more note.
Solitude is great and has a lot of feeling, but the strings are too overpowering. I can tell that they're supposed to be more prominent than in the other songs to emphasize the emotion, but the piano is supposed to have the melody. It's hard to hear over those strings. If it's possible to edit the songs, I would suggest backing them off a bit.
All of that being said, it should definitely be taken into account that 1) I am only one person listening to these, 2) I'm listening with headphones, which sometimes lie to you, and 3) I can't see the audio levels on my screen (I was always better at using those to judge).
Man, now I miss my audio engineering class. :/

Melancholy, without a doubt.
Hey Zelan! Always a pleasure!
--The Main Theme being used for now won't knock your socks off necessarily, and perhaps it is a bit "safe" in some respects, but I hope with time and in context with the trailer itself that it will be a good fit. As for the abrupt ending, it won't be an issue for the trailer necessarily because it will be a tad shorter and have a typical fade-out effect at the end, but I most definitely see your point.
--For Solitude, I can know exactly what you mean with that middle part of the song where the strings come into play more powerfully. That might be something I can have a mixer mess around with at a minimal charage to try and tone it back. This was a good suggestion on your part and I appreciate it. To be honest, I didn't notice it as much until you pointed it out. I believe something can and should be done before the final release for that track (maybe include both, one pre-mix and post-mix).
--Glad that you liked Melancholy so much!

I forgot to mention this in above paragraph but Mellow also sent me, the piano parts separate from the strings section. I'll give that piano/s solo part another listen and see if that might be better instead for 'Solitude.'

Thanks again for feedback, Zelan! Always appreciate it and look forward to hearing from you at our next update!

indoneko
Miko-Class Veteran

#40 Post by indoneko »

Crazy Cactus wrote:Ah, that's just because Takako always wants to look prim and proper, and is mindful of all the ways in which she represents herself. If she's not holding anything, she'll typically be gently resting her hands in front of her in that way. Even when angry or frustrated, she still stays in a similar like pose and doesn't wave her hands around as she thinks it rude and unbecoming. Let's just say she's a very uptight woman and places a large emphasis on how a maid, and more specifically, how she feels a lady should always act.

Thanks for your comment indoneko and hope to hear more from you in future updates. All feedback means a lot to me and the rest of the team!!
What a quick response! :D though I'm afraid you missed my point (don't worry, the mistake is mine... I should've reworded my question). Still, good to know that I can dig more info about her from her hand pose alone.

Now, let's see the red line in picture below. That's the center body line. If we look closely, her hand is positioned not exactly at the center, but slightly off from it. My question was actually about this center vs non-center position instead of the general pose. If this hand position is also one of her quirks (instead of technical glitch in drawing), then I guess everything is okay. :3
Attachments
center position
center position
My avatar is courtesy of Mellanthe

Crazy Cactus
Regular

#41 Post by Crazy Cactus »

@indoneko

AHHHHH!

My bad there. I can see where its a bit "off" in terms of central placement, as your redlining perfectly demonstrates. Since I asked to have the pose be done at that angle (as many visual novels incorporate CGs at that diagonal angle), I thought this story moment might be a good opportunity for it. As you say, its definitely more of a technical glitch from the drawing itself, not done on purpose. I feel like it doesn't detract too much from the CG and probably won't be fixing it, but I appreciate your very keen eye. Just means you're taking a good hard look at Maid Mansion.... maybe?? >=D

Aside from that, mya pologies for taking what you initially meant so completely wrong, however what I did say about Takako is most certainly true to her character and demeanor. No mistake on my part with that high-class, snippy attitude/aspect about her. XD

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#42 Post by Zelan »

Crazy Cactus wrote:Hey Zelan! Always a pleasure!
--The Main Theme being used for now won't knock your socks off necessarily, and perhaps it is a bit "safe" in some respects, but I hope with time and in context with the trailer itself that it will be a good fit. As for the abrupt ending, it won't be an issue for the trailer necessarily because it will be a tad shorter and have a typical fade-out effect at the end, but I most definitely see your point.
--For Solitude, I can know exactly what you mean with that middle part of the song where the strings come into play more powerfully. That might be something I can have a mixer mess around with at a minimal charage to try and tone it back. This was a good suggestion on your part and I appreciate it. To be honest, I didn't notice it as much until you pointed it out. I believe something can and should be done before the final release for that track (maybe include both, one pre-mix and post-mix).
--Glad that you liked Melancholy so much!

I forgot to mention this in above paragraph but Mellow also sent me, the piano parts separate from the strings section. I'll give that piano/s solo part another listen and see if that might be better instead for 'Solitude.'

Thanks again for feedback, Zelan! Always appreciate it and look forward to hearing from you at our next update!
No problem! ^_^

I should probably clarify that I do like the strings in Solitude, I just think they need to be a bit quieter, but not necessarily completely removed. Your call, though, piano on its own is lovely, too.

Crazy Cactus
Regular

#43 Post by Crazy Cactus »

UPDATE #11:

MAID MANSION TRAILER

Hi all, I had a longer post for this, but LemmaSoft kinda had hiccuped and lost everything, so this update will have less writing than was originally planned. Might also be that I'm 1.5k miles away from home and on a slow laptop sitting on a couch, so there's that too.

Wanted to share the trailer tonight with you all to get your feedback, support, and consensus/thoughts on what you think about the feel of the video. There's one last edit needed for one of the sprites (Narumi needs a tiny bit more polishing), but other than that, really happy to share this with you all to see what you think!

Hope to hear from you all tonight or tomorrow when you get a chance to check this out!

Also, plan is to have this launch on Kickstarter on November 15th, at approximately 11am EST. For most up-to-date information or timing, please be sure to follow my Twitter for the exact moment that happens. As for demo, (as I know this is a requirement for when the campaign launches), the plan is to have that completed by next week for testing in the week and a half or so until launch, to get further feedback and to weed out any bugs. Your help with this would be sooooooooo appreciated!!

Have a nice night everyone!!

P.S. - @Zelan thank you for previous comment and help, as always :)

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS?

ds-sans
Regular
Completed: Lost Impressions, Sounds of Her Love

#44 Post by ds-sans »

I really like the trailer, it compliments the main theme and the effects on the sprites look stellar. The flips on the sprites look a bit odd, but that's more personal preference rather than an issue. The particle effects are a nice touch.

As for the project itself, everything looks greatly done. The background of the plot is interesting, more so the involvement of Yuu's grandfathers backstory and the political spin to the whole thing. The character sprites look great and fit in nicely with the backgrounds.

I'm looking forward to more.

Crazy Cactus
Regular

#45 Post by Crazy Cactus »

ds-sans wrote:I really like the trailer, it compliments the main theme and the effects on the sprites look stellar. The flips on the sprites look a bit odd, but that's more personal preference rather than an issue. The particle effects are a nice touch.

As for the project itself, everything looks greatly done. The background of the plot is interesting, more so the involvement of Yuu's grandfathers backstory and the political spin to the whole thing. The character sprites look great and fit in nicely with the backgrounds.

I'm looking forward to more.
Thank you for your feedback! There will/may be some edits to the sprites and minor effects added from now until the final one used for campaign, so there's that. The flips for the sprites are one of the things that need a little polish.

Also, thank you for the compliments on the overall project - it means so much to hear from you and everyone else here, and is a general boost to morale, knowing we're headed in a good direction. The background of the plot will get dark and a bit more intense later on, so we hope you and everyone else will enjoy those parts. There will be more power plays at work during the story, more than anything else.

Glad to hear that you like the sprites and they match nicely with the backgrounds (Ruderoo did an excellent job taking my refs and running with them to create some wonderful scenes for us)!

We'll keep you and everyone else updated as best we can!