Cosmic Raven - Ep. 1 [KN][Comedy][Sci-Fi][Synthwave][18+]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Shagwrath
Regular
Projects: Shison L, Cosmic Raven
Organization: Progeny Gaming, LLC.
IRC Nick: Shagwrath
Deviantart: shawnbaybo

Cosmic Raven - Ep. 1 [KN][Comedy][Sci-Fi][Synthwave][18+]

#1 Post by Shagwrath »

Cosmic Raven - Ep. 1
[KN][Comedy][Sci-Fi][Synthwave][18+]
“Space is a dangerous and unforgiving place, full of beings of just the same. You're always at the mercy of chance.”

ImageThread:
The purpose of this thread is to report progress on the game, as well as provide a place for interested people to check out our progress and leave their feedback.
ImagePitch:
Take the retro-futuristic look of the 1980’s, and Synthwave music, now combine it with a dystopian cyberpunk universe filled with people and aliens struggling to survive. Theme it like a TV show with fake and cheesy commercial breaks, and an intro and credits scene just like an 80’s show. This is all in a universe controlled by an evil race of aliens called Kriegans. Nazi like religious fanatics who speak in a language called Grimlore that’s played on a one handed keyboard called a talkbox. Some people use this to amplify electronic instruments like guitars and play and sing this unique language that shares characteristics with Japanese. Nekroxx, a freed space trucker meets Raven, a strange girl with a unique personality and they team up to find the key to restoring humanity, finding a home, and ridding the universe of the Kriegans.

ImagePlot: (This contains spoilers)
The Earth is gone and humanity scattered to the cosmic winds, and it's estimated that the year is nearing 2180. Welcome to the future we brought upon ourselves. What little of humanity remain work their lives away as slaves to an evil race of aliens called the Kriegans, the very race that destroyed their families, killed their friends, and annihilated their home. Only the lucky make it out alive and even those that surpass all the odds and do make it out are forced to live in a universe that despises them and cast them aside like the rest. Nekroxx is a space trucker and a freed human, he's traveled the universe delivering cargo to both reputable and nefarious individuals making money here and there, and learning about this weird new universe. Still he makes use of being the universe's most notorious, relying on that and his luck to get by. He does what he can to survive and for this he has earned a reputation that he doesn't exactly deserve. Standing out amongst the trillions of others with his deadly skills with a pistol and his signature guitar he wears strapped across his back. Using it to communicate in the weird language of the universe called Grimlore, a language with notes for letters and sentences composed of riffs, communicating in song.
After an unplanned stop to meet with his friends Shira and Zoul, things go terribly wrong and Nekroxx meets a girl named Raven who is not what she seems. They make it out alive, worse for the wear but Nekroxx comes to terms with his struggle to find a new purpose, and the responsibility he has given himself of finding a new home for humanity. The universe must be rid of the evil Kriegans before they destroy more worlds and enslave anyone else, and he will be the one to do it. A plan starts to fall into place and a few new faces, both digital and analogue, join the cause.

ImageGallery:
GUI : http://imgur.com/a/le7YT
SPRITES: http://imgur.com/a/IXz52
MUSIC:
http://cosmicravenvn.tumblr.com/post/15 ... er-amazing
http://cosmicravenvn.tumblr.com/post/14 ... ck-by-none
http://cosmicravenvn.tumblr.com/post/14 ... ar-by-solo
http://cosmicravenvn.tumblr.com/post/14 ... llo-a-fake

ImageGame Demo:
(Coming Soon!)

ImageTeam:
Shagwrath
Director, Producer, Writer, Graphic Design, Programming, SFX, Backgrounds

Jtsketch
Assistant Producer, Character Design, Sprites

Solo Acapello
Compositions, Additional SFX

Steven Del Monaco
Editor, Beta Reader

ImageSpecial Thanks
Soul
Cody Stigma
David “Adcent” Nguyen

ImageQuestions:
Want to leave some feedback? Anything is welcome, but here are some specific things that I want to ask:
* Is there anything about the people, the aliens, or the settings that don’t make sense? Can you explain?
* Would you like to see this expanded into a series and the story continued?
* If you like it, what's its biggest attraction, the art, the music, the concept, characters, etc?
* If you hate it, what’s its biggest turn off? Boring, confusing, ugly, etc?

ImageTumblr: http://cosmicravenvn.tumblr.com/

ImageCommissions:
We have some amazingly talented people on our team and they all are active members on the lemmasoft forums and they accept commissions. As project leader I can't recommend these people enough, the quality of the music and sprites they have been making is professional tier work and they get their work done on time and are a pleasure to work with.
If you need an artist for your game or music for your project please check out Solo Acapello, or Jtsketch, you won’t regret it and they will boost the quality of your project considerably.

Solo Acapello:
FORUM: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=39310

Jtsketch:
FORUM: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=39281
TWITTER: https://twitter.com/jtSketch
Last edited by Shagwrath on Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cosmic Raven - Episode 1
[KN][Comedy][Sci-Fi][Short][18+]

AshenhartKrie
Veteran
Tumblr: ashenhartkrie

Re: Cosmic Raven - Ep. 1 [KN][Comedy][Sci-Fi][Synthwave][18+

#2 Post by AshenhartKrie »

honestly you had me at retro-futuristic. This looks really cool and I love that the art style doesn't fall into typical VN stylisation. Definitely going to be keeping an eye on this, I'm a sucker for cheesy 80s sci-fi :D

tired. grumpy. queer
*uses he/him pronouns*

Crazy Cactus
Regular

#3 Post by Crazy Cactus »

Definitely reminds me of Kung Fury, if that's the style look/approach you were going for. Color scheme definitely brings the right vibe that you're aiming for with this project, so kudos to that as well.

Want to leave some feedback? Anything is welcome, but here are some specific things that I want to ask:

* Is there anything about the people, the aliens, or the settings that don’t make sense? Can you explain?
A: I guess if there was a little more to explain the setup/setting of the story, that would help a little more. Just a few more details to flesh things out a bit. I like the sort -of renegade trucker idea, and it seems he's a cocky and lucky type that also reminds me of a Han Solo-ish kind of guy.

* Would you like to see this expanded into a series and the story continued?
A: In all honesty, I feel like this should be a question more for yourself - is there enough material and ideas to warrant a followup series? You would definitely need a strong foundation story-wise for something like that to be really successful.

* If you like it, what's its biggest attraction, the art, the music, the concept, characters, etc?
A: So far, the biggest draw for me is a mix of the art and color palette of the sprites, as well as the overall concept. I think there's promise there, the diamond just needs to be shined to gain more luster.

* If you hate it, what’s its biggest turn off? Boring, confusing, ugly, etc?
A: Boring? No. Confusing? Somewhat, yes. Ugly? Not ugly in my opinion. If you're going to go with this kind of style and look, I say really go for it.

Shagwrath
Regular

#4 Post by Shagwrath »

Thank you both for your feedback and looking at the project.

@Crazy Cactus Thank you for taking the time to answer the questions, and giving me some good feedback to work with. Taking what you said to heart I'll take some time to make this the information here a little more concise.
Hopefully you both will check out the demo when we have it available, I'm working on releasing it ASAP.

Just a note to everyone else checking out the thread, we plan to follow up the release of the demo with a kickstarter campaign, depending on the success of that we will release the game on Steam, then on Android and iOS if we meet our goals.
Cosmic Raven - Episode 1

Shagwrath
Regular

#5 Post by Shagwrath »

I changed the plot description to give a better synopsis of the game. Thanks again @Crazy Cactus for his suggestion, you were right as I reread it, it seemed to be lacking.

As a little update I decided to try out RenPy's new GUI features so I'm making the demo for scratch instead of using the development build of the game where I;ve been testing my code and working on a extra little surprise. If you want to read more about it, here's out tumblr with a full explination : https://www.tumblr.com/reblog/151811356007/2UPyaGKf
Cosmic Raven - Episode 1

Shagwrath
Regular

#6 Post by Shagwrath »

Been awhile since I updated so here's some screenshots from the current build of the game, its not glamours, but it's a start. Unfortunatly we decided to switch game engines and we lost a lot of assets from a hard drive failure, but its jsut time we'll have to make up. The project continues on!

http://imgur.com/a/FccUH
Cosmic Raven - Episode 1