When a withdrawn virtual reality nerd has the opportunity to beta test a neural device that feels more “real” than reality itself, everything she assumed about the nature of existence is thrown into question.
If you play, please take our feedback survey! Thank you!!
Supernovas blaze in the night sky, but the gaming world is abuzz over a new virtual reality console.
Jacob Lessard, developer of the Penta device, promises a neural experience more “real” than reality itself.
But what does it truly mean for something to be real?
When Lilya arrives at InterMense to beta test the Penta, she expects to spend the weekend battling her social anxiety
in exchange for the opportunity to enter the Vitalia simulation.
But when Ben, another tester, refuses to leave the world of Vitalia, endangering his life,
Lilya sees that she has become involved in something much more eye-opening than she realized.
As Lilya, Ben, and Jacob’s fates intertwine, they must make some of the hardest decisions of their lives,
and confront their own perceptions of the nature of existence.
- A Thought-Provoking Narrative - with several mind-bending twists and two perspective characters, the story is both philosophically ambitious and deeply personal.
- Choices That Matter - a heavily branching story line makes the game re-playable. Your decisions have major consequences - ranging from shifting a character’s attitude, to placing them on a different story branch, to re-directing the outcome of the entire game.
- Expressive Character Art and Visuals - 14 characters (each with various poses and expressions), 12+ background scenes, 17+ CGs/special illustrations, 15+ ending panels.
- Character and Relationship-Building - rich character development, affected by your choices, and with opportunities for both romantic and non-romantic relationship-building. Romance is optional, and may be pursued from either Lilya or Jacob’s perspective.
- Original Music and Sound Design - by the talented composer Chase Bethea.
[Updated Oct. 26, 2016]
Character Art: 65%
Yes, the game will be sold commercially on Steam.
Yes! The demo is available here.
DEC 10th 2016 - FUNDED! Many thanks to all our backers and everyone who helped spread the word!
Looking for collaborators?
Our development needs have been met, however, we will be looking for alpha and beta testers very soon.
Please contact us if you are interested in play-testing.
We are also always excited when folks stream, share, or “let’s play” our games!
Please be in touch if you are interested in helping us promote </reality>!
</reality> is being made by the folks at Fancy Fish Games. We are a tiny indie gamedev studio, passionate about making thought-provoking games.
Art & Writing: Natalie Maletz (RedOwl)
Code & Story: David Maletz (terra0nova)
Music & Sound: Chase Bethea
What we hope to get out of this thread
- Let you know we exist
- Share our progress, updates and announcements
- Receive feedback, comments, and critique
Does the story interest you? Why or why not?
Which part(s) of the story description entices you the most?
Is the character art appealing to you? Why or why not?
How do you feel about the character descriptions? Did they make you interested to know more about the characters? Why or why not?
What do you think of the background art?
The game focuses on plot and character development (there is only light, optional romance) - is that a downside for you?
Are you interested in playing the free demo?
Any other comments, observations or critique? We want to hear it all!
Follow the project on Tumblr!
Follow us on Twitter!