</reality> [Sci-Fi][Fantasy][Philosophy] Demo Available

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
RedOwl
Regular
Projects: < /reality >
Tumblr: realityvn

Re: </reality> [Sci-Fi][Fantasy][Philosophy] Trailer

#16 Post by RedOwl »

@Kokoro Hane - Thank you!! SO glad to hear that you are liking what you see so far, and loved the trailer! ^.^ And I'm also really pleased that you like Lilya so far. One thing we've been pondering lately is whether Lilya is like-able enough as a character - she certainly has some issues with social anxiety and with her relationship with her family that some people might be turned off by (though we love her, of course). We will be very interested to hear your opinion of her after you've played the demo (which should be out soon! We're working hard on it).

On the art style - yep, I would call it "anime inspired" :lol: It's kind of a cross between my natural art style (western/concept art-ish), and anime style (which I love).

On the two perspectives - I'm really glad we decided to do this as well. I think it makes things extra interesting to see events from two different perspectives. I will be looking forward to hearing how players react to this. However, unfortunately, the entire demo is from Lilya's perspective (it's the first chapter of the game [of 10 chapters]). The perspective switches to Jacob in chapter 2.
Last edited by RedOwl on Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Please give me Honest Critique!~

SilentMonkey
Projects: Death In Daylight

#17 Post by SilentMonkey »

Some very interesting stuff!
Looking forward to seeing it when it is finished.
Nice work guys/girls:)

RedOwl
Regular

#18 Post by RedOwl »

Today's the day!! We are so excited to announce that the </reality> demo has been released! We've been working hard to get to this point, and it feels great to have made it to this milestone. :D We hope to get lots of feedback on the demo, so we can continue working towards an awesome final game. So please give it a try and then fill out our demo feedback survey (a google form)! Thank you everyone! =^.^=

(click the image to get to the IndieDB download page):

Don't forget to take the feedback survey once you've played!

The title screen:
SilentMonkey wrote:Some very interesting stuff!
Looking forward to seeing it when it is finished.
Nice work guys/girls:)
Thanks!! :)
Last edited by RedOwl on Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

zankizuna
Veteran
Completed: Monochrome Valentine
Projects: Softwar
Deviantart: raseru09
itch: ZanKizuna

Re: </reality> [Sci-Fi][Fantasy][Philosophy] DEMO released!

#19 Post by zankizuna »

I didn't read much of the plot or explanations, but the pics look nice, and I have now downloaded the demo..
Somehow, I'm sure it won't disappoint!

RedOwl
Regular

#20 Post by RedOwl »

zankizuna wrote:I didn't read much of the plot or explanations, but the pics look nice, and I have now downloaded the demo..
Somehow, I'm sure it won't disappoint!
Awesome, thanks! I hope you enjoy the demo. :)

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#21 Post by Zelan »

:o Woah, the demo is out already! I probably won't have time to play it anytime soon (sigh), but I will definitely get back to you guys when I do!

Crazy Cactus
Regular

#22 Post by Crazy Cactus »

Does the story interest you? Why or why not?
--As others have already said, the VR element to the story is definitely the biggest "draw" for this visual novel, and I'm curious to see how far you will go in the story based on this initial premise.

Which part(s) of the story description entices you the most?
--I can sense some hints of some philosophical type notions about life, reality, and the meaning of true existence, which is very good to see some serious thinking in a visual novel. It will definitely leave room for some interesting things that will make us (hopefully) question ourselves and to ask whats truly "real" and what isn't. That's my theory anyway.

Is the character art appealing to you? Why or why not?
--Character art is on the simpler side, but effective. Characters emote moreso than usual, and that essentially gives them more depth and energy.

How do you feel about the character descriptions? Did they make you interested to know more about the characters? Why or why not?
--Character descriptions overall are nice and to the point, but to be perfectly honest, I'm mostly being 'roped in' by Lilya. I like that she's a badass in the digital realm of the online universe, and that makes me feel like she's a bit of a social outcast in reality, which is nice for the story to develop from there. Plus, it helps that she has one of my favorite hairstyles for ladies (the high angle cut - long in front, short in back).

What do you think of the background art?
--Background art I would describe as dream-like, trippy, and clean.

The game focuses on story/character development (there is only light, optional romance) - is that a downside for you?
--Nope. If story is compelling enough, I back a visual novel. My Kickstarter profile is a testament to this belief.

What kind of rewards would you wish for in a < /reality > crowdfunding campaign?
--I always want to see a reward with the OST. Its one of my favorite things to pledge a little more toward a campaign to get, and one of the reasons I have a pledge level with the soundtrack just above the game only pledge.

Are you interested in playing the free demo?
--Seeing as how you just recently uploaded the demo, I don't see why not. XD

Any other comments, observations or critique? We want to hear it all!
--All I would say is this: keep up the good work! I like the vision for this particular endeavor, and will be watching this fellow visual novel's development closely.

RedOwl
Regular

#23 Post by RedOwl »

@Zelan - cool, no problem! We're looking forward to hearing your reaction when you get the time to play. :)

@Crazy Cactus - thank you for the feedback!! ^_^ We're very glad you're liking the project so far, and we hope you enjoy the demo.
Crazy Cactus wrote:It will definitely leave room for some interesting things that will make us (hopefully) question ourselves and to ask whats truly "real" and what isn't.
This has definitely been one of our main goals with the story. We love leaving players with questions to ponder and we personally love games and other media that make an impact on your thinking or perspective on life.

As long as I'm here, I've updated our progress percentages in the first post! Here's the comparison (last update was Oct. 10):

Writing: 95%
Editing: 20% --> 25%
Character Art: 45% --> 65%
Backgrounds: 40% --> 50%
CGs: 35% --> 40%
GUI: 40% --> 60%
Music/Sfx: 10% --> 15%
Programming: 60% --> 70%

RedOwl
Regular

#24 Post by RedOwl »

Hi folks! Just wanted to mention that I updated the first post with the new character sheets below (now with quotes!). We are starting some prep for a kickstarter campaign, including this update to the character sheets. We'd love to hear what you think! Do these descriptions make you want to know more about the characters? How do you feel about the quotes we chose?

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#25 Post by Zelan »

Kumoriiiii <3

The quotes are great! I especially love what you've done with Jacob's character sheet - it exposes that more unique side a bit. ^_^

RedOwl
Regular

#26 Post by RedOwl »

Today, we're very excited to share that we have completed a draft of our kickstarter page! We plan to go live on Wednesday November 9th - just a few days left now. ^_^

Link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/da ... n=1189d913

Please check out the draft and let us know if you have any feedback! What could be better? Are the reward levels enticing? Do you like the images and descriptions on the page? DO you like the video (it continues past the trailer)? Does it make you want to share or back the project? Any and all feedback is very, very welcome!!

Here are some gifs we made for the kickstarter page:

Zelan wrote:The quotes are great! I especially love what you've done with Jacob's character sheet - it exposes that more unique side a bit. ^_^
Glad to hear you liked the new character sheets!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#27 Post by Zelan »

Very important question: Is Kumori eligible as a character for the print?

Unfortunately, there's no way I'm going to be able to afford the Kumori plushie, but I feel like there'll be more people out there who are just as crazy about her as I am. cx

The Kickstarter looks great! And wow, I didn't realize how many games you guys had out already. :o I definitely need to play some of them when I've got some time!

RedOwl
Regular

#28 Post by RedOwl »

@Zelan: Yes! Kumori is definitely eligible for the print. ^_^ And thanks, I'm glad you think the kickstarter is looking good!

Rossfellow
Veteran
Projects: Sedatophobia
Organization: Team 3Edgy
Deviantart: l-rossfellow

#29 Post by Rossfellow »

[EDIT: I can't find the KS link. Where is it?]

I have had my fair share of kickstarter heartbreaks. But after playing the demo, I think I'm willing to give this a chance. It'll take me a bit to compile my thoughts on the demo so far, but I can say that I wasn't expecting what I got from it. At all. Particularly the part where the MMO interface kicked in. In fact, it probably looks something like this.

ImageImage
Sedatophobia (latin SedatoPhobia)
___(n) 1: The averse reaction to stillness, silence and/or state of helplessness.
______2: (Psychology) A state of distress where the victim's sense of reality can no longer keep up with his or her imagination.
______Related: Madness, Paranoia, Despair

RedOwl
Regular

#30 Post by RedOwl »

Rossfellow: the Kickstarter is not live yet, but you can see a draft of the page here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/da ... n=1189d913

We will be launching it next week (probably on the 10th).

lol, love the reaction meme!! We'll be looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the demo!