[TO BE RENAMED] [GxB/G] (Romance, Comedy, Parody) [hiatus]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Didules
Veteran
Completed: Sophie, Midnight's Café, The Phantom of the Hospital
Projects: SchizoValentine
Organization: Hidden Masquerade
Tumblr: hidden-masquerade

Re: SchizoValentine [GxB/G] (Romance, Comedy, Parody)

#31 Post by Didules »

Sorry for the silence, we took a short break for health reasons! (A team so close that we synchronize our health issue, that's some team spirit :lol: )

SMALL UPDATE :
In the meantime, here's the current state of the bar's BG!
(There are other tables and armchairs on the other side, alongside with... well, the door? But the capacity wouldn't exceed 20/30 people at once in the bar)

Can you tell we love bars? :lol: though we do wonder: would like to hang out in such a bar? According to you, what kind of music would play in this bar?

Progress is going slowly these days, but we'll try to go back to 1 update/week (unless it's a video of the animation, bc it takes quite a lot of time and adjustments ><)

See you soon !

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#32 Post by Zelan »

It looks so nice! ^_^ Almost reminds me of a coffee shop, but it still has the definite feel of a bar. I'd definitely hang out there. I think it would probably play some sort of piano music, but probably with some sort of percussion in the background. c:

Didules
Veteran

#33 Post by Didules »

Hello there!

Sorry it's been 2 months since the last update, RL has been a bit rough and some of us still aren't out of it, but I'm back so the updates will keep coming ;)

I'm glad to say that the UI is fully functional (including ingame UI, but since there has yet to be a coded background, I can't show you yet. Next week, I promise!) Here is how it looks like:
Screen.png
In case you were wondering, yes every single menu has animations :mrgreen: Next week I'll try to make a video to show you, including the UI, the background and maybe some sprites (unfinished, but still).
Also, you knew there would be 2 arms poses and 2 outfits for the character, but I don't remember showing you. So here is a sneak peak on the most finished sprites: Chanda's and Addie's. Nari is still a little bit in progress, so are Peter's.
Addie will actually have 1 more outfit (pajamas), and the other will keep the same trousers (because it's hella long to do and we want to finish the game one day :( )

I hope we don't disappoint you too much, people who read this and/or follow this topic, do not hesitate to comment on anything you like/dislike/would like to see!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#34 Post by Zelan »

I already said how much I liked the broken glass FUI, but I'll say it again. It's super cool. ^_^

Wow, I didn't know that the characters would have so many outfits and poses! That's awesome, Addie and Chanda look cute. c:

LizardRobot
Regular
Projects: A Town Called Shanty
Organization: Lizard Robot
Deviantart: lizrobot

#35 Post by LizardRobot »

Do you find this synopsis interesting? What do you expect from this?
Ha ha! It made me laugh. I'd expect more laughs in the game, but probably also some sudden heart-wrenching moments. I have a saying: I watch dramas for the comedy, and comedies for the drama. Í'd expect this to be the latter sort of story.

Would you play this game?
Yes!

Do you like the characters? If yes, do you have a favorite one?
From the headshots, I like them all. Seeing more of the full bodies, Nari become more interesting to me, and I think I like Peter's looks, but hes listed as an airhead, so I don't know! Regardless I'd want to meet them all I think and see what they're like in interactions.

Do you like the art style?
Totes magotes!! The hair is SO SHINY.

Didules
Veteran

#36 Post by Didules »

Zelan wrote:I already said how much I liked the broken glass FUI, but I'll say it again. It's super cool. ^_^
Wow, I didn't know that the characters would have so many outfits and poses! That's awesome, Addie and Chanda look cute. c:
Thanks a lot Zelan! :D I actually used the broken glass again because of what you said previously :)

LizardRobot wrote:Do you find this synopsis interesting? What do you expect from this?
Ha ha! It made me laugh. I'd expect more laughs in the game, but probably also some sudden heart-wrenching moments. I have a saying: I watch dramas for the comedy, and comedies for the drama. Í'd expect this to be the latter sort of story.
Ooooh, I really like that saying of yours, it's quite accurate!! Then I don't think you will be disappointed by what we're planning ;)
LizardRobot wrote:Do you like the characters? If yes, do you have a favorite one?
From the headshots, I like them all. Seeing more of the full bodies, Nari become more interesting to me, and I think I like Peter's looks, but hes listed as an airhead, so I don't know! Regardless I'd want to meet them all I think and see what they're like in interactions.
Can't wait to read what you'll think of them then! And yes, Peter is an airhead... but not like "your usual cute klutz one", more like "the slow one that daydreams and sometimes comes back to Earth to realize people have been talking to him for a while" :lol:
Anyway, thanks a lot for the input! We will make sure to have them interact with each others a lot, and not only with Addie!!
LizardRobot wrote:Do you like the art style?
Totes magotes!! The hair is SO SHINY.
Shiny.... i can only think of
Moana-Shiny-Tamatoa.jpg
(Moana/Vaiana's best character XD)

Here comes our new update !

First of all, here is the GUI in motion + that one background coded + 2 sprites sample (Nari and Addie). Some things still have to be fixed (sprites' height, etc), but it will give you a foretaste of what we are planning with the art direction ;)
Sorry the icon is blurred, when the video is HQ. WTH yt?

And I have been working on this background for a week now, which make around 3 BG mostly finished :
Screen.jpg
"Fun" anecdote: in this BG you can see 2 other places that will have their own backgrounds: the WacDonald and the park. From the WacDo, you'll be able to see the outside of the bar. Small city they all live in ;)

I've also started drafting some CG all over again to give them some variations, and some expressions for the sprites. :)

What do you think of the BG? Of the UI? Does the sprite + BG seem a bit dull to you or is that okay?

LizardRobot
Regular
Projects: A Town Called Shanty
Organization: Lizard Robot
Deviantart: lizrobot

#37 Post by LizardRobot »

The UI looks very nice! Has a very clean appearance, and I love your choice of font. I did notice the word Skip in the menu looked out of alignment. I love how the backgrounds work together, with different areas being visible from previous areas, and the background animation! I think the BG looks fine with the sprites.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#38 Post by Zelan »

!!! You added background animation! The clouds were moving in the video. :D It looks awesome!

(Also, WacDonald's is hilarious and I love it.)

Didules
Veteran

#39 Post by Didules »

Hello everyone!

I'm deeply sorry for the silence, a lot has been going on, but as always it's not on hiatus ;)

Here is a bigger-than-usual update!

So all the bases for the sprites are done, including side characters we won't see much. It's more realistic to see the characters if they have even 1 line of script, so it was an obvious decision.
Here they are :

As you can see, Peter's, Emmanuel's, Timmy's sprites are done. Of course the face is subject to change since the expressions have to be done, but at least the base shouldn't change (much). Their other outfits are also done ;)

The characters you've never seen are :
The big bulky guy is Raul, Chanda's friend who happens to also know Emmanuel.
Huan is the asian guy at the very right, he is also one of Chanda's friend and Raul.
The woman who obviously likes rock/goth culture is Salma, she's Nari's coworker.
There's also the sunglasses woman, but no one seems to know here. She's just a suspicious mysterious woman.

Salma, Huan and Raul don't appear much but Addie may have to interact with them as well.

And here is some progress on the backgrounds! I underestimated the number of BG needed, and there are still 5 more that need to be done. Maybe 6.
H :?
Here are 2 works-very-much-in-progress: the inside of the university and the staircase of Addie's building, featuring the door to Timmy's flat.
Colors aren't definitive.

♥ What's left to do :

- BG : 5 left to do. (The 2 WIP above are included in those 5).
- Sprites : expressions and animations.
- CG : 5 ending CG. I'd also like to do 1 more CG per character, so maybe 5 more cut-in CG = 10 CG overall.
It may seem like a lot of work (it is haha), but that should be enough to have some high-quality content. Besides it's holidays already, expect some real progress ;)

♥ What about writing and/or coding?

The main GUI is done and over, only the galery is left to do, but we're still exploring some ideas here.
Otherwise: the guidelines for each routes has been decided awhile ago, we're still detailing some routes scene by scene, the main route is done, Nari and Chanda's route mostly are, the other still need some details. This should enable us to code the if statement and the choice easily.
The first scene of the game has been written, it has yet to be edited. We will look for a native proofreader when it's necessary X)

Hope it's clear enough, the aim is to be as open as possible on the dev since we haven't been until now. I'll try to update at least monthly with some real progress.

Do you have any question or remark you'd like to ask/say? Are the side characters cool enough? Isn't it a shame that they're just side characters? :lol:

Does it sound like it's getting too big already (lol)?

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#40 Post by Zelan »

I am not exaggerating when I say that I actually teared up a bit when I saw this update. The character art is REALLY lovely. <3 (I love Peter's shirt so much, it's hilarious.) I really like the fact that even the side characters are going to have sprites - I feel the same, I like to see the character even if it's only for a scene or two.

I'm just in general really excited for this. :D And it doesn't sound too big! Plus, big is beautiful, right?

Didules
Veteran

#41 Post by Didules »

Zelan wrote:I am not exaggerating when I say that I actually teared up a bit when I saw this update. The character art is REALLY lovely. <3 (I love Peter's shirt so much, it's hilarious.) I really like the fact that even the side characters are going to have sprites - I feel the same, I like to see the character even if it's only for a scene or two.

I'm just in general really excited for this. :D And it doesn't sound too big! Plus, big is beautiful, right?
hello Zelan, it's been a while!! I can't expres how happy I am to read your comment, thanks for not giving up on us and this game :lol:
Characters really are important in visual novel, so giving everyone a sprite was the least we could do! (And somehow having eyeless side characters is just too confusing and weird for Schizo-Valentine, which is supposed to be somehow heart-warming and fluffy XD)
BIG IS BEAUTIFUL! I agree so much with this, which is why the game has grown in size and in terms of art assets! Even if it's just a hobby, it doesn't mean it can't be ambitious!

Update part :
BG - 17-06.jpg
Woohoo, 2 new BG that are almost done! Of course they still need to be coded and have some slight variations, but the worst part is done. Now you can see the place where you'll often meet Timmy, and the corridor of Addie's uni.

As for the sprites, the side characters have their expressions done (very few) and will be animated in the end. I've also sketched 2 more CG, an ending one (100% sure to be ingame) and a route one (50% sure to be ingame).
The main characters' sprites also have cleaned up eyes and mouth. They look much more consistent and less sketchy now, here is a preview of Chanda and Nari (too bad you may not see them up close ingame... or maybe? :lol: )
Since Peter is way taller, he didn't fit in the sneak peek. Sorry, Peter, Chanda's height is at fault :'(
Since Peter is way taller, he didn't fit in the sneak peek. Sorry, Peter, Chanda's height is at fault :'(
The galery screen is being worked on and should be done next week, as well as another BG, the coding of the 2 previous BG and also 1 more change on Nari's Sprite (she needs a coat. Like really, who would wear those clothes outside during winter?)

If there's something you'd like to see as an update, do not hesitate to tell!

Didules
Veteran

#42 Post by Didules »

Hello!

Stuff happened and holidays, and now I'm back.
I, because my friends in the team decided to retire. A lot of time has passed since our first games and the first enthusiasm, and we all grew up to like and enjoy different things, so it seemed logical that they let me handle the gamedev they couldn't enjoy anymore.
Hidden Masquerade is turning into a one-person-team, but that's okay!
What does it mean? Nothing much. The game will be done as usual and other projects will keep coming after that, we all had many skills so the disbanding doesn't mean the end of anything, it just felt more honest to announce it.

Apart from that, update report:
The backgrounds that are done have been coded, which means there are only 2-3 BG left to do (the park, the inside of the WacDo and maaaaybe the front of the university where most of the cast goes).
The stairs BG is the only one without animations. Figures!
The stairs BG is the only one without animations. Figures!
I've also started coding the first scene of the game (the google docs is like 1.5 pages out of 5 coded, that's a bit more than 600 words) without the expressions unfortunately.
Also all ending CG but 1 have been drafted, and I'll probably include other CG because now I'm on my own, nothing can stop me from getting crazy with the characters :lol:

Now that the matter with the team is solved, I'll try to have monthly objectives and at least monthly reports. Monthly objectives are : finished the last bits of the detailed outline (which I need to write contrary to our previous writer), writing the second scene and doing the park background + the sketch of the WacDo background.

DerpyPoodle

#43 Post by DerpyPoodle »

Hey there! I just wanna say that I haven't been this invested in a game in a long time. The artwork is so encapsulating, which is what made me give the topic a read in the first place, the color scheme is so light and relaxing in a way! Plus, I will always have a soft spot for games occurring in winter and/or fall.

Secondly, I'm sorry to hear about the team disbanding, that must've been a hard decision to all come to. Regardless though I know you'll be able to finish this, you've been at work for it so long to give up now! While I usually enjoy games solely by the GxG route, the boys actually seem to have a bit of depth here. Before I discuss that, I wanna talk about the MC and how much you've frickin' nailed her. From just this topic alone I can tell that this will be quite the ride, and whilst the profile description are a bit vague, Addie still has stolen my heart (and Nari, but I'll get to that in a minute).

Peter. Peter I can tell is going to be my best friend, because dear god who does not love PANDA ANTS. This game ridicules itself lightheartedly while still managing to keep itself to a level of depth that can people enjoy, but still laugh at. Which personally I believe is a very difficult thing to balance, so kudos to you dev! If I wanna be the more tell the truth here, God can I relate to Timothy, I am pretty cynical and jaded but I guess that comes with age (pretty rude at times as well, but I'll act like I'm not :D ). Emmanuel seems like a bit of a mystery, which I can appreciate. He seems to be held high in everyone's regard, yet has acceptable standards rather not being open-minded to new people/things. Mm, I didn't really elaborate on Peter.. He seems to be an interesting character with a lot on his mind, as you said 'he daydreams a lot', or maybe he doesn't like the place he's living in? Not too sure, but he definitely would be someone I just wanna hug the hell out of. It looks like we'll be seeing a lot of him since he is Addie's childhood friend after all, and I think I can accept that happily, I like the guy! And finally Chanda. While other people may like character with crushes predetermined for the MC, I'm not as big of a fan. I feel like it doesn't give me any time to really get to know that person, without them having the idea of wanting to be in a relationship with the MC. It's a bit difficult to vouch for him this way, but his personality otherwise seems quite nice, always smiling, a very helpful person. I'm not saying I don't like him (especially the artwork, because all of it thus far is fUckin' beautiful), I'm just saying I think I'll need to see him before I really go into detail about him.

God that was a mouthful. Here I'll be discussing the artwork in a bit more criticizing light, and Nari a little bit after. As for characters you've really got it down to the point with diversity, and extreme attention to detail with all of the side characters that have actual sprites (good touch by the way!), they look fleshed out and I can get behind it with ease. As more of a realistic point of view Nari and her coworker punk friend are gonna freeze to death somewhere in the game (that would be such a twist, I can just imagine), I realize you're fixing it, but I haven't seen you mention her coworker, I feel bad just leaving the poor girl to fend for herself. As Zelan wrote on the first page, I love that broken glass image so much (as bad as it sounds I stared at my broken phone glass for a good twenty minutes before getting genuinely upset about now having a broken phone :lol: ). As for more of a continuity thing, it's a bit hard to tell from the menu image you have posted, but it doesn't really look like Addie has that curvy look to her in the main menu, but if that's the intended image I won't judge. The BG for Addie's room is a favorite for me, it almost resemble my room in a way! Kinda made me giddy, but I digress. And your first CG sneakpeak I am DYING to see, Addie is so adorable in general, I cannot wait to see it! I'm not entirely sure what you were going for with the distress marks on Nari's shirt, but they look cute nonetheless (for future reference, red and black are the usual colors associated with punk rock). Also it makes me kind of sad to see the bar BG change to a little chain of businesses, I personally liked the idea of a little remote bar nearing the edge of the woods, but I understand the reason for the change, advancing the idea of a small town and keeping continuity so you can see most of the buildings from outside the respective window. From what you've posted of the Uni corridor/staircase it seems really bland for a university, no light fixtures, and what looks like carpet to a hardwood floor change going downstairs? It isn't really cost-effective for the small town you're progressing. But this isn't really a problem, I do enjoy there not being much to be seen, it calls for a much more calming atmosphere, which from what I can tell from the color scheme it looks like this game is going for.

YIKES I TALK A LOT. But, don't worry if you're still bothering to read this, I'm almost done! This isn't a complaint about this game solely, but VN's in general. So Addie boasts a personality as an MC, but most VN's let you take control of the MC as soon as those personality traits would be fleshed out. I don't know about this game since no actual writing has been posted for it yet (aside from synopsis), but I really hope the dev does not go that route. although I'd love to see how Addie acts without guidance, but there is a moderation needed to this as you can't have her doing everything because of the genre of game you're developing in, so that's on the dev to balance, I wish you luck on that :wink: . Now then, Nari. While I don't know if you know the game Life is Strange, I can heavily relate Nari to Chloe from said game, which is not a bad thing, because I fucking LOVE Chloe. I'm into a lot of punk myself, so I respect her for that, and she's protective of the MC (I wanna hug coughkisscough her already). It's a little bit of a repeated gimmick, but not repeated enough to be reformed into a different character by you. I think that's really it for the moment.. Well dev, if you made it through this, respect to you for the fortitude, and have a wonderful day!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#44 Post by Zelan »

Aww, it's sad to hear that the rest of the team has disbanded. I've loved everything that you guys have worked on together before. But, I have faith that you'll deliver a fantastic game, Didules! You have always seemed very passionate and excited about working on every single one of your projects, and I can see that this one is no different. c:

Didules
Veteran

#45 Post by Didules »

And I'm back! I've just moved out of the country and in in another country, sorry for the long wait ><

@DerpyPoodle
DerpyPoodle wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:50 pm[...For obvious reason I can't quote the whole comment, but I'll answer]
I won't lie, I've read your comment 3 times and took some notes to fully get everything I could from your very sweet and ver constructive and very helpful comment. Every dev dreams of having such comments (actually every dev dreams of having comments at all :lol: ). I actually couldn't help but do a spontaneous tweet!
Just know that no dev will "not read" or "avoid reading" comments, and all the more when there's so helpful :)
Actually your input on some matters such as Addie as a character-based MC, etc, made me check again the whole gameplay and tweak some bits of it. You're right, I also need to focus on the empathy between the player and Addie and the player and the other characters. I'll work hard on that, thank you for pointing it out, it underlined one of the weaknesses I hadn't thought of!
Same for the critique on the uni background, and it made me realize I should be clearer on the city, it is not a "small city", but a city in the neighbourhood of a huge city (a capital probably), so the university is really recent (which is why it's bland), it was built to make the universities of the capital less over-crowded. It's close by to a suburbian train and other public transport, close to a "city center" which is cute but not very ambitious (where the bar is situated).

Actually here is a map :
MAP.png
Red crosses are there for the BG you'll see, and the purple for the information. Of course this is very zoomed of the city center, but it's actually muuuuuuch bigger XD
And also the city is around 60k people so that's actually a lot ? XD I took inspiration from 3 cities : Toulouse for the uni "campus", Nanterre for the uni history, and my own city near Paris for the architecture. So it'll be set in a sort of mix-match-up of random french cities, tho it's meant to be anywhere :lol:

I'll follow your advice and give Nari's coworker a jacket, because I realized that in some route she may have a more important role than I first intended ><
I also changed slightly the main menu because YES, Addie is a bit chubbier than this! Thank you!! I'll also work on the Uni BG a bit more to add lights and room number.

As for Chanda and his crush... I can't spoil much, but yes, he has a crush on Addie and I'm aware that it's a weakness for his storyline (because love should be developed ingame and not set beforehand, unless it's a trope and then it's tedious to use). However the fact he has a crush on Addie is actually discussed ingame since at first Addie is uneasy with his interest in her, bc they don't really know each other...

And I'll definitely check out Chloe from Life is strange, I'm ashamed to say I never finished watching the playthrough of the game when it's been praised and seems so interesting 0__0 Thanks a lot for the support, the advices, and kudos to you ♥ (Sorry that was long haha)

Zelan wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:35 pm Aww, it's sad to hear that the rest of the team has disbanded. I've loved everything that you guys have worked on together before. But, I have faith that you'll deliver a fantastic game, Didules! You have always seemed very passionate and excited about working on every single one of your projects, and I can see that this one is no different. c:
Thank you for your unwavering support, Zelan, your comment always mean a lot to me :D You became one of the few people I can't wait to show the finished game to XD I'm better at writing tragedy than comedy but i'll do my best (as always) for SchiVal so it's up to your expectations :3

Also a small update
I've moved out of my country, so things have been hectic... I forgot the files of the game in my homecountry and will get them back on the 30th :'D I'm so stupid, I can't resume coding the first scene when it's already written...
The BG of the park has been started! I'm working on another screen and thus NO COLORS ARE DEFINITIVE ON THIS WIP ! The screen looks blue so my color perception is wrong (it's probably flashier and weird in truth) I'll adjust the color scheme later once I correct the weird mistake on it...
DONE QUICKLY.jpg
I've also moved forward with the outline with Peter's storyline and gosh, it's deeper and more personal than I thought it would... comedy? I don't know that pokemon XD
Now I finished moving in, I'll resume working on the game, mainly the outline, the park and Addie's expressions. :)

Thanks a lot for the support, and don't hesitate to ask if you want to see something in particular (writing, sneak peek of the CG that may not make it, etc) :D