Aether Skies [Dark Fantasy/Mystery/Dual Protagonist] [Demo]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Aether Skies [Drama] [Dark Fantasy] Updated Feb 4!

#16 Post by Zelan »

Hey, glad to see this again! ^_^ The sprites look gorgeous and work really well on top of your backgrounds. The GUI screen looks great, too, I like the image used for the save slots.

Oh, you're using Alcaknight's music! That's awesome, I love Alcaknight's work.

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Simple as Snow, Lady Luck's Due,
Projects: Aether Skies, Of the Waterfall
Tumblr: casting-dreams
itch: castingdreams

#17 Post by wyverngem »

Thanks Zelan! ^_^ Yep, still alive and the game is working now. Though now that I say that I know I'll break the python again. I guess I wouldn't be having fun if I didn't break the code a little bit.

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran

#18 Post by wyverngem »

You know it's a great feeling when you finally get something to go right in a project. I was able to fix my History screen finally. It was a silly error, but it looks pretty good now.
Image hosting no longer supports 3rd party.

The demo coding and editing are waiting on one last sprite from Reina, though as it stands now it's the first hour of Eir's side of the story. I've been working on expanding the game itself and it's working out pretty well. I think I'm over most of the coding issues and just need to focus in the next month getting more of the story worked out.
Last edited by wyverngem on Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#19 Post by Zelan »

Wow, the history screen looks really nice! Congrats on figuring out that coding, it's really making your game look nice.

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran

#20 Post by wyverngem »

^_^ That's nice of you to say. The artist for the sprites is ill so I don't have new images to share. The outline for the first three chapters have been finished. Right now about five chapter releases are planned. The way I've set up the story the demo may become the actual release for the first chapter, but we'll see.

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Aether Skies [Drama] [Dark Fantasy] [Series]

#21 Post by wyverngem »

Hello! I drew the alpha sketch today and wanted to introduce her.
Her name is Jacqueline. She's the wife of the former Exalt, and sister-in-law to the current ruler. She's a very pure hearted woman raised to be the wife of a King; meaning she was raised to be dutiful as well as bright. Her homeland is Grix and she left her family to come to Idwall to marry and seal trade routes. She grew to love her husband with her whole heart and was devastated by the accident. Her father demands her return with her dowry, but the Exalt has kept her as a political prisoner.

Jacqueline first meets Eir when he catches her off guard crying in her garden. One of the only times that anyone has seen her that weak. She'd give anything in the world to see her husband recover, but knows the reality of her dream.

Thoughts?

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#22 Post by Zelan »

Aww, she seems like a really sweet girl, and her sprite reflects that. I hope things end (somewhat) happily for her.

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

#23 Post by Harliqueen »

Ohhh! This is looking brilliant! Don't know how I missed this before. Looks like it's progressing at a pace, as well :) Really looking forward to the demo.

Lots of seriously awesome looking sprites, and those backgrounds and GUI... amazing!

Poor Jacqueline... :/ Really nice outfit design though, so at least she can cry and look pretty!
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran

#24 Post by wyverngem »

Zelan wrote:Aww, she seems like a really sweet girl, and her sprite reflects that. I hope things end (somewhat) happily for her.
^_^ Thanks Zelan, that means a lot to me!
Harliqueen wrote:Ohhh! This is looking brilliant! Don't know how I missed this before. Looks like it's progressing at a pace, as well :) Really looking forward to the demo.

Lots of seriously awesome looking sprites, and those backgrounds and GUI... amazing!

Poor Jacqueline... :/ Really nice outfit design though, so at least she can cry and look pretty!
^_^ Thank you! Always nice to hear feedback. ^_^ I'll post more images of Jacqueline when the art comes in.

^_^ I'm super excited to share that Reina's sprite was finished yesterday and I'm happily coding it in the game. I just need to finish sound, get my editor to read through the game again, and finish the bonus page that is unlocked for completing the demo.
Take care everyone!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#25 Post by Zelan »

Wow, I love Reina's design! Awesome to hear that the demo is nearing completion.

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Aether Skies Demo Released! [Drama] [Dark Fantasy] [Seri

#26 Post by wyverngem »

Demo Released! Download

The demo is about 7,600 words and takes you through the first chapter. Once you've complete the demo you unlock the demo content which includes stats of your game as well as a Survey.

The demo ends just at the start of Chapter 2, if you don't become a stain on the wall...

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran

#27 Post by wyverngem »

Questions for the Demo:
What did you like about the demo?
What could be improved on?
Were you able to finish the demo?
Did you complete chapter 1? (No spoilers)
Did you come across any bugs or errors that caused Renpy to crash?
Is there anything you would change or modify?
Would have you preferred a longer demo?
If you happened to find spelling/grammar issues please pm me with suggestions. ^_^ I'm only human and am thankful to know.

^_^ I was being a space case and forgot to add the questions for this. Let me know what you all think. I've been working on the story since releasing the demo. Slow progress, but we're getting somewhere. Let me know what you think. I promise I don't bite.

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran

#28 Post by wyverngem »

A quick update;

I've decided to work on Eir's path before going to Reina's. The more story comes out with these characters, the more that the Exalt keeps falling back into her shadow. Very typical of her character to be honest. For now working on Eir's path will give the game focus.

Writing has been slow, but character and world development remain strong. In the past weeks since the demo I've worked on more of the history of Idwall and the politics that surround the defeated nation. All of which brought up a character design for an emissary and the former ruler of Idwall.

Overall it's going well. Coding is done to what it can be, story has seen progress, music is staying, and the art itself is pretty strong as well. I am working on making new interior backgrounds that I will post in the coming weeks. If I have time with life stuff I'll do a time lasp of one of the backgrounds being painted.

Anyways, thanks for the support :) even lurkers out there.

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran

#29 Post by wyverngem »

Not dead yet!

:) Hello, how is everyone? I know it's been a while since I've had an update. The game has been going well minus a few medical bumps on my part. Tried to slice my finger off a work and am healing slowly with stitches. That said the game this week has been progressing. I managed a new preview of chapter's two first background. I'm really happy with the way it turned out. ^^ In a lot of pain so the full update can be found here. Take care!
Last edited by wyverngem on Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran

#30 Post by wyverngem »

Hello everyone! Long time no see. The update for this game is not visual, but it's definitely exciting. :D

First off, thanks so much to those who gave the demo a shot! According to Itch.io we've had over 2,886 views and 414 download since the demo original released March 02, 2017. ^_^ Reading your comments from the survey was really helpful for making new changes for the full release!

The upcoming changes we'll see for the game are as follows;
  • A thorough edit of the game grammar will be updated before the end of May. This updated version of the game will correct errors that slipped through original editing.

The text will be made easier to read on lighter backgrounds. I will be darkening the textbox and updating the GUI for the text.

There will be an option added to the main menu to change the font of the text in game. I hope that this will be easier for those with dyslexia to keep enjoying the game.

Another issue that will be addressed is the Quick Menu's hit box. Sometimes while moving between buttons it prematurely hides itself again.

The sprites will have a blinking animation added to the game. I am also commissioning new sprites for minor characters with speaking roles. In the full release of Part One two new sprited characters will appear in the game. With new changes for sprites, Eir and Percival will have a second pose. This means that Percival will draw his sword and Eir will no longer Captain America his way through the game. (^_^ Yay)

Our sprite artist is busy this season, but we should see new sketches in early July.

I'm also happy to announce that there will be CG for the game and previews will be shown later this summer.
Look forward to the beginning of June for an updated demo that will address the text readability, GUI issues, as well as adding in a new pose for Eir and the blinking animations. This demo will also heavily address grammatical issues that slipped through the first day release.

At the earliest in September the first part of Eir’s story will be released.

^_^ I’m really excited for this summer and I believe there will be good progress made in the game. Thanks so much for the support. It really keeps me alive with this project. Take care!