String of Fate [GxG] [Fashion/Romance]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Hodgekiss

String of Fate [GxG] [Fashion/Romance]

#1 Post by Hodgekiss »

(credit to rito)

Hello y'all! I'm nervously presenting my first visual novel project!

In this visual novel, you will play as a fashion design student, one week before a big fashion show. You get assigned to a team, consisting of a fellow design student and a model. Together, you will work to create something beautiful, whether that's fashion, friendship or even love!

- [GxG] VN with optional confession
- 1-2 hrs per route
- 2 potential love interests
- customisable MC name
- multiple endings influenced by story choices; romantic endings, friendship endings, various bad endings

Love Interests:

ImageImage

Genesis Mok - 21
A young fashion designer with a troubled past. She might act a little tough at first, but she is kind at heart.

ImageImage

Marisol Figueroa - 19
A model with a bright smile and a face like an angel. Will you be the one to show her the world?

-------------------------------------------------

Side Characters:

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

A variety of side characters will be making their appearance throughout the story, some more involved than others, depending on the story choices made by the player.

Writing Progress

- Prologue: 100%
- Common Route: 50%
- Genesis Route: 20%
- Marisol Route: 20%

Visual Progress

- Images (scene, sprite, objects): 90%
- CG: planned if possible
- GUI: 20%

- Demo is planned to be released withing the next half year
- Game will not be commercial, as it is my first try at VNs and serves in part as a learning process for me
- Progress can also be followed at https://sof-the-vn.tumblr.com

! Currently looking for help with CG design and GUI !

-------------------------------------------------
Comments

1. What are your initial thoughts about this game?

2. Do you have any specific feedback regarding the assets of the game, art style etc.?

3. What are your thoughts on the release of a demo before the final release?

4. Would you be interested in playing this game?
Last edited by Hodgekiss on Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:48 pm, edited 17 times in total.

rito
Regular
Projects: Bride of the NEET God
Tumblr: atelier-apricot

Re: String of Fate [GxG] [Fashion/Romance]

#2 Post by rito »

This is looking great! I'm an anime person, but this artstyle is absolutely gorgeous <3
I'm also really interested in the theme. In everything, actually! Best of luck to you!

Hodgekiss

#3 Post by Hodgekiss »

Update:

- all sprites, objects and bg images have been made
- outline has been completed
- logo updated with the help of rito!

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by gekiganwing »

Hodgekiss wrote:Together, you will work to create something beautiful, whether that's fashion, friendship or even love!
Sounds interesting. Will the reader be able to choose whether the protagonist is more interested in fashion, a friend, or a significant other? If so, how much input will they have?
Hodgekiss wrote:2. Do you have any specific feedback regarding the assets of the game, art style etc.?
My first thought about your art style is "it's distinct." I'm trying to think what specific things it reminds me of, and unfortunately I'm not having any success. That said, I like 2D drawings in general, and so I think it's fine. If you're confident in your art style, then stick with it.

If you want your story to focus on a small group of characters and their relationships, that's fine. I don't know if you will gain anything by including an external conflict. You might benefit by keeping your story small in scope and limiting it to slice-of-life events. (After all, not every story needs to include a plot such as "man versus nature" or "they fight crime"...)

pinto minto
Regular
Projects: Skeletons of a Demon

#5 Post by pinto minto »

Wow this looks awesome! Looking forward to playing this!

Hodgekiss

#6 Post by Hodgekiss »

gekiganwing wrote: Sounds interesting. Will the reader be able to choose whether the protagonist is more interested in fashion, a friend, or a significant other? If so, how much input will they have?
The in-story game goal is to win the fashion show, so the protagonist will be interested in fashion in the first place. However, you'll find that the options towards achieving your fashion goal will also coincide with getting closer with the potential love interests, i.e. your choices will simultaneously affect both the chance to win the show and the chance to win love or friendship. after all, you need to work together to create something beautiful. you cant work on the show without become closer, and you cant become closer without working on the show.

as for friendship vs. love, i am planning to input an optional confession, i.e. you can decide to stay friends. however, this game is definitely written in support of WLW and therefore GxG romance is the 'true' ending, even if the platonic ending is not necessarily a negative one.
pinto minto wrote: Wow this looks awesome! Looking forward to playing this!
Thank you so much! <3 I hope it will be a good game for you to play!

Hodgekiss

#7 Post by Hodgekiss »

Nearing the final version of the game's GUI, will be updating the screenshots once completed.
Updated the writing progress.

Planning to come with a demo version in the next 2-4 months if my schedule allows it!

Hodgekiss

#8 Post by Hodgekiss »

Updated writing progress
Updated sprite design of Marisol
Updated screenshots

Hodgekiss

#9 Post by Hodgekiss »

Rehauled main post, included progress, side characters and added notes!

rito
Regular
Projects: Bride of the NEET God
Tumblr: atelier-apricot

#10 Post by rito »

Oh my god who's the cutie with cotton candy hair--

Also great progress! Can't wait to play the demo!
ri·to (ɺʲito) n. 1.illustrator 2.loves capybaras

Hodgekiss

#11 Post by Hodgekiss »

This VN in progress is still kicking!

After finishing my degree (yay) I will now have all summer to devote myself to SoF.
Quite some delay, but I have already managed to update some character sprites and I have made progress with the writing.

More info to follow! <3

parttimestorier
Veteran
Completed: No Other Medicine, Well Met By Moonlight, RE:BURN, The Light at the End of the Ocean, Take A Hike!, Wizard School Woes
Projects: Seeds of Dreams
itch: janetitor

#12 Post by parttimestorier »

Congrats on graduating! This looks really fun - the art style is cute and all the characters look unique. I especially like Marisol and the girl with the pink hair. I also always appreciate it when there are friendship endings as well as romance ones. I'm not always all that into the love interest characters in every VN, so it can be a bit annoying if the only way to get the "good" ending is to date them. Looking forward to seeing more progress. :)

Just to let you know, though, I've heard of another fairly recent VN called Red String of Fate, in case you want to avoid confusion by considering a slightly different title or something.
ImageImageImage

Hodgekiss

#13 Post by Hodgekiss »

Update! This project is still on going. I'm learning more about designing CGs, since I really wanna include at least 2-3 CG per route.

The writing is coming along too, as I am now rounding up the main route and delving into the choice routes.

Some updates have been made for the sprites and the graphic design, but I am having some problems with updating the original post, so that will follow later.

I have uploaded a video with a first impression (5 minutes), going through the first options and interactions. You can watch it here!

Hope someone is still interested in this project! :o

Hodgekiss

#14 Post by Hodgekiss »

Update! :D

The common route is now 95% done! (u can thank my classes for not keeping me interested)
Which means.... I have started writing the actual script to the choice routes!

I will be writing both Genesis' and Marisol's route simultaneously, so they will finish roughly at the same time.

For now, I can promise the demo release is close! (yes, again! but forreal this time)
I plan to release the demo with the common route (first 2-3 days) and the first day of the choice route (day 3).
That's giving away a lot in the demo already (story is set over 7 days), but since most important things happen in the latter 4 days, it should keep ppl interested to find out how their choices could further develop!

!! currently still looking for help w CG design !!

LusciousSpirit
Tumblr: luscious-spirit-studios
Deviantart: lusciousspiritstudio

#15 Post by LusciousSpirit »

I really like the character designs and the art. Super cute. Glad to see the project still going.
Luscious Spirit Studios. Girl love games and fiction