Thereafter: A Medieval Life [GxB][BxB][Romance][VN][Comm]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
aeri
Regular
Projects: Thereafter: A Medieval Life, What happens on camera doesn't always stay on camera, etc.
Organization: Meraki Tales
Tumblr: merakitales
itch: merakitales

Re: Thereafter: A Medieval Life [GxB][BxB][Romance][VN][Comm

#16 Post by aeri »

March 18, 2017 Update
• Updated romanceable knight (Edgar Triggs) with character biography card and updated character description
• Updated questions section

aeri
Regular
Projects: Thereafter: A Medieval Life, What happens on camera doesn't always stay on camera, etc.

#17 Post by aeri »

04/06/17 Update
• Updated background preview section with "outside prison tower (4 colorings) as well as percentage update of the first draft for the female!thief (MC) x knight route

Because it was not mentioned before, the overall story direction with events for the female!thief (MC) x knight route is completed (8 page synopsis of the entire route). The game script is currently in its very early stages for this particular route.

As for the male!MC, the first story being worked on is his composer route (romancing the blacksmith). The synopsis is still being written at this time and will likely be done sometime this month.

aeri
Regular

#18 Post by aeri »

04/14/17 Update
• Updated background preview section with "inside inn/tavern (4 colorings)" as well as preview of the official sprite art for romanceable blacksmith (one of the BL routes)

New background

Preview of new sprite art

aeri
Regular

#19 Post by aeri »

05/06/2017 Update
• Updated background preview section with "outside inn/tavern (4 colorings)"

GhostGnome

#20 Post by GhostGnome »

i do hope to see a kickstarter for this, i would be more then happy to help with development.

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Trial By Fire, Heartbaked, Ellaria, Plain, This My Soul, The Pretenders Guild
Projects: Arena Circus
Tumblr: minyanstudios
itch: harlevin

#21 Post by minyan »

First off this looks amazing! I'm already super excited at just the amount of options there are for your character.

Which story summary is the least interesting to you? Any suggestions to help improve the story will be appreciated and considered.

I think the female MC as a blacksmith romancing the herbalist. Mostly just because the other ones were more interesting, I didn't particularly find it bad.

Would you like to have the option to purchase this game as an otome edition or BL edition? (For example, the projected early bird prices for the otome or the BL editions will be $12 versus buying the full edition with both the otome and BL routes at early bird price of $20.)

BL for me, just because I generally like BL better.

If posters were offered, what sizes would you prefer? (Current options are 11" x 17" (27.9 cm × 43.2 cm), 13" x 19" (33.0 cm x 48.3 cm), and 17" x 25" (43.2 cm x 63.5 cm)) Also, if you have any preference toward posters printed on glossy or semi-gloss paper?

13'by19 I think? And I think glossy would be best!

Any comments/questions/suggestions?

The backgrounds look gorgeous, and I love the sprites as well. Good luck, I look forward to seeing more about this project!
ImageImage

aeri
Regular

#22 Post by aeri »

05/29/17 Update
• Updated all current character cards (female protagonist's thief occupation, romanceable knight, and romanceable blacksmith)
GhostGnome wrote:i do hope to see a kickstarter for this, i would be more then happy to help with development.
Thank you very much for the comment ^ ^

I will be doing a kickstarter in the near future (I am projecting sometimes between late September to beginning of November depending on the demo progress). Hope you will stick around :)

minyan wrote:First off this looks amazing! I'm already super excited at just the amount of options there are for your character.

Which story summary is the least interesting to you? Any suggestions to help improve the story will be appreciated and considered.

I think the female MC as a blacksmith romancing the herbalist. Mostly just because the other ones were more interesting, I didn't particularly find it bad.

Would you like to have the option to purchase this game as an otome edition or BL edition? (For example, the projected early bird prices for the otome or the BL editions will be $12 versus buying the full edition with both the otome and BL routes at early bird price of $20.)

BL for me, just because I generally like BL better.

If posters were offered, what sizes would you prefer? (Current options are 11" x 17" (27.9 cm × 43.2 cm), 13" x 19" (33.0 cm x 48.3 cm), and 17" x 25" (43.2 cm x 63.5 cm)) Also, if you have any preference toward posters printed on glossy or semi-gloss paper?

13'by19 I think? And I think glossy would be best!

The backgrounds look gorgeous, and I love the sprites as well. Good luck, I look forward to seeing more about this project!
Thank you very much for leaving feedback on the questions I had posted~

I hope when the story summaries are more fleshed out, the female!MC as the blacksmith will at least be on par with the rest of the stories :)

I'm glad you think the same as me for the background and sprite~ Hopefully when the CG progresses, I will be able to at least showcase one for both otome and BL in the close future (the CG artists are amazing as well <3) ^ ^

aeri
Regular

#23 Post by aeri »

06/13/17 Update
• Updated background preview section with "outside blacksmith shop (all colorings)"

LuckyCats
Regular

#24 Post by LuckyCats »

female tavern chef romancing composer

Reason: Most of the other stories give off an adventurous feeling mc is traveling, discovering new things, mystery etc. The fchef/composer route seems like its gonna have a lot of reminiscing and waffling over whether he likes her or not I just hope that's not the focal point of the story.

I like experiencing stories as a whole so would be buying the full route ideally. However splitting them is a great idea for ppl that are only interested in one side or ppl that can only afford to get one side at a time.

What merchandise would you purchase (and are likely to) with this game?

Things I'd purchase or if they were offered as kickstarter reward would encourage me to back a higher tier to get them

Art book, ost, keychains, book marks(you can never have too many when you love reading lol), ebook side stories

Smallest size glossy paper

I checked out all your various artists artwork and its gorgeous! Its seriously too lovely X3

The male mc and the female mc were they originally the same soul reborn to different genders/jobs or are they two different souls?

Will the mcs jobs have effects on their overall personality? Since they grew up in different circumstances and trained in different fields?

How long will the average playtime per route be?

aeri
Regular

#25 Post by aeri »

LuckyCats wrote:Which story summary is the least interesting to you? Any suggestions to help improve the story will be appreciated and considered.

female tavern chef romancing composer

Reason: Most of the other stories give off an adventurous feeling mc is traveling, discovering new things, mystery etc. The fchef/composer route seems like its gonna have a lot of reminiscing and waffling over whether he likes her or not I just hope that's not the focal point of the story.
Thank you for the feedback about this :) I'll keep this in mind as I'm panning out the details to keep that feeling of adventure and discovering new things there~ Of course there will be some reminiscing of childhood memories since it is unique to this route (at least compared to the other otome routes), but I definitely do not intend to have it as a focal point~ ^ ^
LuckyCats wrote:Would you like to have the option to purchase this game as an otome edition or BL edition? (For example, the projected early bird prices for the otome or the BL editions will be $12 versus buying the full edition with both the otome and BL routes at early bird price of $20.)

I like experiencing stories as a whole so would be buying the full route ideally. However splitting them is a great idea for ppl that are only interested in one side or ppl that can only afford to get one side at a time.
I'm glad you are willing to experience the full game! (I'm glad there are people agreeing that it would be a good idea to have the split versions as well as the full~)

LuckyCats wrote:What merchandise would you purchase (and are likely to) with this game?

Things I'd purchase or if they were offered as kickstarter reward would encourage me to back a higher tier to get them

Art book, ost, keychains, book marks(you can never have too many when you love reading lol), ebook side stories
Noted! ^ ^ I'm definitely planning for the keychains at least! I'm glad you mentioned the interest in the ebook side stories! (It is still up in the air whether or not I'll be able to offer those within my projected deadlines during the kickstarter phase...but definitely will offer goodies other than the game itself)~
LuckyCats wrote:If posters were offered, what sizes would you prefer? (Current options are 11" x 17" (27.9 cm × 43.2 cm), 13" x 19" (33.0 cm x 48.3 cm), and 17" x 25" (43.2 cm x 63.5 cm)) Also, if you have any preference toward posters printed on glossy or semi-gloss paper?

Smallest size glossy paper
Sounds good~!

LuckyCats wrote:Any comments/questions/suggestions?

I checked out all your various artists artwork and its gorgeous! Its seriously too lovely X3

The male mc and the female mc were they originally the same soul reborn to different genders/jobs or are they two different souls?

Will the mcs jobs have effects on their overall personality? Since they grew up in different circumstances and trained in different fields?

How long will the average playtime per route be?
I am very fortunate that I am able to commission these lovely artists for the game <3

The MCs are one soul, and the reader chooses to which soul (female or male) to be reborn in as well as the occupation she/he would pursue. The MC's core personality will be the same, but the job definitely will have some effect on the personality. I do plan to have most/majority of the past events (before the story starts) be the same regardless of the occupation chosen ^ ^

Because I am currently projecting for 36,000-40,000 words per route, it should be an average of 3 hours per route assuming the average person reads at 200 words per minute~

Thank you very much for taking your time to send your feedback and hope to see you as the game continues to progress~ Let me know if you have any other questions (^ ^)b

aeri
Regular

Re: Thereafter: A Medieval Life [GxB][BxB][Romance][VN][Comm]

#26 Post by aeri »

Sorry for the delay in updates! Here is a bigger update than the usual.

07/29/17 Update
• Adjusted staffing based on new situations arising
• Updated percentage of completion for various items in the lists
• Updated background preview section with "on board the ship (1 coloring)"
• Added music sample section with "prologue" song
• Added CG gallery with preview of the 1st CG for the blacksmith route
• New question added about game resolution based on background dimensions

Dovahkitteh
Veteran
Completed: YDD, RE, CoB, Req
Projects: Red Embrace: Hollywood, The Black Hand
Organization: Argent Games
Tumblr: argentgames
itch: argent-games

#27 Post by Dovahkitteh »

Your art is gorgeous! It feels more unique than "traditional" anime coloring and the designs are super cool. :D

Which story summary is the least interesting to you?: I personally think the composer otome route sounds the least intriguing, just because it doesn't seem like there's much there beyond a reunion and maybe a bit of "realizing-your-feelings" angst. That may just be because of the short description, though. However, I'd definitely recommend adding in some intrigue and perhaps even having the composer's past come back to haunt or trouble him before things get too fluffy with the MC.

Would you like to have the option to purchase this game as an otome edition or BL edition?: Yes! I'd definitely go for the BL edition. I think you'd appeal more to the otome, BL, and "I like them all!" markets if you split it up like this, and it shouldn't be at much cost to you, presumably.

If posters were offered, what sizes would you prefer?: 11x17 is always a good size. Glossy/semi-glossy doesn't really matter to me.

For game resolution, would you prefer a 16:9 ratio at 1280x720 (where the background art is cropped at the top and bottom) or an odd ratio due to the original art dimensions (A3/A4)?: I think it's generally good to stick with traditional ratios, so I'd be leaning towards 1280x720. A bit of cropping wouldn't bother me, personally.

Any comments/questions/suggestions?: I quite like the variety of options that seem to be available. It seems like there's a plot for a variety of different tastes, which is pretty nice. The quirk of adding personality types to the char profiles is something I don't see super often and I kinda dig it XD

I'm kind of curious -- are you saying you pick your gender/role at the beginning and immediately jump into the matching character's route, with no common route? Nothing wrong with that, but for people who're going into the game blind and don't know their romance options, I wonder if there would be some way to have a short "common" route where you make a few choices related to your profession that give hints as to what kind of bachelor you'll be running into. For example, thief-y options as a female MC might drop hints regarding the knight, or you might even encounter him briefly. Just spitballing here and it's not a necessary thing by any means, but it would be kinda cool :wink:

Writer, Programmer, Designer

Programming/Design Commissions

Image Image

aeri
Regular

#28 Post by aeri »

Dovahkitteh wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:12 am Your art is gorgeous! It feels more unique than "traditional" anime coloring and the designs are super cool. :D
Thank you so much ^ ^ I'm glad the art is very appealing, and I try my best to put thoughtful ideas into the character designs that the artists can work with (and they also add their own flair to the design, so it is all great ^ ^)

Dovahkitteh wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:12 am Which story summary is the least interesting to you?: I personally think the composer otome route sounds the least intriguing, just because it doesn't seem like there's much there beyond a reunion and maybe a bit of "realizing-your-feelings" angst. That may just be because of the short description, though. However, I'd definitely recommend adding in some intrigue and perhaps even having the composer's past come back to haunt or trouble him before things get too fluffy with the MC.
Completely understandable, thank you for the input on this particular route~ I will try my best when I get through more of the story outline and drafting to have more substance and an "adventure" feel like the other routes (and hopefully it will be more than what you find in a typical childhood friends story) :)

Dovahkitteh wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:12 am Would you like to have the option to purchase this game as an otome edition or BL edition?: Yes! I'd definitely go for the BL edition. I think you'd appeal more to the otome, BL, and "I like them all!" markets if you split it up like this, and it shouldn't be at much cost to you, presumably.
Thank you for your thought ^ ^ It shouldn't be difficult for me to have these different editions, just have to dedicate time to make sure I do the split or combination cleanly with the program I use~

Dovahkitteh wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:12 am If posters were offered, what sizes would you prefer?: 11x17 is always a good size. Glossy/semi-glossy doesn't really matter to me.
Thank you for the input on this~~

Dovahkitteh wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:12 am For game resolution, would you prefer a 16:9 ratio at 1280x720 (where the background art is cropped at the top and bottom) or an odd ratio due to the original art dimensions (A3/A4)?: I think it's generally good to stick with traditional ratios, so I'd be leaning towards 1280x720. A bit of cropping wouldn't bother me, personally.
Sounds good, I wanted to make sure that people wouldn't be disappointed that I had to crop the backgrounds a little to make sure it fits the standard resolution sizes xD; And I'm always open for any odd resolutions if people play more in windowed mode than full screen mode~

Dovahkitteh wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:12 am Any comments/questions/suggestions?: I quite like the variety of options that seem to be available. It seems like there's a plot for a variety of different tastes, which is pretty nice. The quirk of adding personality types to the char profiles is something I don't see super often and I kinda dig it XD

I'm kind of curious -- are you saying you pick your gender/role at the beginning and immediately jump into the matching character's route, with no common route? Nothing wrong with that, but for people who're going into the game blind and don't know their romance options, I wonder if there would be some way to have a short "common" route where you make a few choices related to your profession that give hints as to what kind of bachelor you'll be running into. For example, thief-y options as a female MC might drop hints regarding the knight, or you might even encounter him briefly. Just spitballing here and it's not a necessary thing by any means, but it would be kinda cool :wink:
I'm glad you like the variety~ I had to put some thought into it because I personally didn't want to add supernatural elements to the game, but at the same time, I would like people to want to play all of the routes in any of the editions :)

Basically, what I plan on the main menu is to have
• An optional prologue (to help explain the premise behind this Thereafter series with an eventual future game that circles back to this first game)
• Continue
• Game start
• Settings/options

Under the game start option, specifically for the "all" edition, I am thinking about having the first screen for choosing your MC's gender (it will have info like the character cards and probably a blurb about them). Then, on the second screen (or this would be your first screen for the BL or otome editions), you will be presented with the three occupation options (not sure if I will be locating it on the top, bottom, or one of the sides) that when you click on it, it will have a portrait of the MC on the left with that specific occupation's outfit and the romanceable partner for that route on the right side. In between the two portraits, there will be a short story synopsis and information about the romanceable partner (and probably a few screenshots from that specific route). I think when I get at least a visual draft completed, my explanation will be a lot clearer since I don't have the design set in stone yet xD

Thank you for bringing up the common route point :) The only reason why a common route will be very difficult to accomplish is because I plan to have all of the MC's past be the same up to when they are about 15-18 years old (uncertain where the cut-off is right now), and events after that age would be completely different based on their occupation (since for the most part, when you jump into the story, they are in their early 20s and already have some sort of experience in the profession they choose).

Essentially, all 6 stories may not exist on the same timeline as each other. I hope that game start description helps in that "getting to know the bachelors" part of the game...I know this is an unorthodox approach, but I hope it will still be a good experience! Let me know if you have other thoughts about this~

(I did play period cube fairly recently and run into that phenomeon where I had no idea who the bachelors are...and some of them don't even show up at all in the first route I ended up playing xD;)

(By the way, I love your Edgeworth avatar <3)

runeraccoon
Veteran
itch: runeraccoon

#29 Post by runeraccoon »

Whoaaaa your CG artists are people I admire for a long time! That's quite a line of artists, really. I knew I saw darkavey's coloring style, but when I read Zenith Omocha as well, I practically turn into mush. X"D You must have put quite a lot of sum for the art aspect! (Love your taste.)

The gameplay summary is intriguing. Basically they only share the same universe. Players can choose a character to self insert to. There's Fantasy Life game on 3DS (that I haven't played) offering the same experience, but that's not geared towards romance, so I'm really excited!

I won't choose any physical merch options because paying for the shipping will probably be more expensive than the package I order. Whatever it is, I hope you allow for Paypal purchases. :)

Good luck with everything.

aeri
Regular

#30 Post by aeri »

runeraccoon wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:12 am Whoaaaa your CG artists are people I admire for a long time! That's quite a line of artists, really. I knew I saw darkavey's coloring style, but when I read Zenith Omocha as well, I practically turn into mush. X"D You must have put quite a lot of sum for the art aspect! (Love your taste.)

The gameplay summary is intriguing. Basically they only share the same universe. Players can choose a character to self insert to. There's Fantasy Life game on 3DS (that I haven't played) offering the same experience, but that's not geared towards romance, so I'm really excited!

I won't choose any physical merch options because paying for the shipping will probably be more expensive than the package I order. Whatever it is, I hope you allow for Paypal purchases. :)

Good luck with everything.
Thank you ^ ^ I value the art quality (and I have particular taste) when I decided to pursue this project~ (which is why I definitely will be doing a kickstarter hopefully in October to fund additional art assets and music since I can only upfront x amount of the costs with my own savings).

It is true that the two MCs share the same universe, and the player can choose which MC they want to be, and which occupation they want to pursue (I have played Fantasy Life and it is similar to this aspect but you can't change occupations in the middle of the story like you can in that game xD)

(And true, that game didn't have a romantic aspect to it, just more fun for exploring job classes and the story is still pretty nice)

I definitely will be allowing paypal purchases...after the kickstarter, I am planning to have the website be the go-to place to purchase the game (and other merchandise), but I will be allowing paypal during the campaign as well :)

Thank you for your thoughts, and good luck with your project as well ^ ^