ZodiaX: 18+ VN - UPDATED [B/GxB] [Yaoi & Otome] [Sci-Fi]/Fantasy

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
ZodiaX
Tumblr: zodiaxgame.tumblr.com

Re: ZodiaX: 18+ VN [Fantasy] [B/GxB] [Yaoi or Otome] [Sci-Fi]

#16 Post by ZodiaX »

Hi guys! Binary here, with some EPIC updates and new art!

First off, I am ecstatic to announce that players can now choose to be male or female! This makes ZodiaX either a yaoi OR otome game, and we are absolutely stoked! What do you guys think?!

Here are some updates on our characters! To see all twelve, and to read all about their personalities, histories, and more, check out our CHARACTER PAGE on the game's Tumblr!

Cypher:: Capricorn

Lumeon:: Taurus

Severin:: Scorpio

Regulus:: Sagittarius

Amberbaum
Regular

Re: ZodiaX: 18+ VN - UPDATED [B/GxB] [Yaoi & Otome] [Sci-Fi]/Fantasy

#17 Post by Amberbaum »

Whohoo...you have a tumblr page. Need to follow it asap!

I. Is the art style appealing? As a VN, our game will ride primarily on the quality / style of our work.
Yes, it is. I like it.
II. How do you feel about the story? About the choice of playing as a male or a female?
Sounds cool. It reminds me a bit of Angelique (video game). Or at least what I have read about it. As for playing f! or m! character. I prefer to play the female character. Yaoi is just not my thing, so I will play her exclusively.
III. 12 characters. It's a lot. Do you think this is a good or a bad thing? How can we be sure to make each interesting? We plan to put in the same amount of time and effort into each route, but aside from that?
Yeah. 12 chars is a lot, but if you can manage to give them different themes, character traits, change of location, etc. then I am sure it won't be boring. Think of it like walking into a cake shop. The more variety there is the happier I am. Of course, that requires more work from you guys and if you feel writing 12 romantic routes is too much - like spreading the butter too thinly on one's bread - then I think it's fair if you cut down the number of available LIs. So do whatever is comfortable with you.
IV. What do you think of the world building / story setting? We want the game to have an eerie feel to it the majority of the time as the Void creeps slowly closer to Elune.
The setting is not really new, but it sounds very interesting and mysterious. And that is always good in my book. Like previously mentioned, I like variety and there aren't many VNs for (hetero/bi) female players that are dark or mature. Or having threatening, morbid themes. And with dark and mature I don't mean that the MC is getting raped by her LIs (because a lot of japanese 18+ otomes pull of that crap) or trying to be edgy. I think I might have developed a hungover of modern day/slice of life romance VNs. They are easy to digest and don't really need much world-building. And I am also tired of the "The Saint" type of MC. In such a harsh and unforgiving world I think it is only inevitable that you have to fend off and kill some monsters or other people if you want to survive. I should note that I prefer playing a good character, trying to do the right thing. Not really the rebellious lawbreaker, if it is necessary. But surviving and looking out for yourself always takes up priority. Too many RPG and VNs are falling into the three alignment trap and it's just feels unnatural with it's (often) predicable outcomes. Gordy Wheeler on Worthplaying wrote something about it in his Kult: Heretic Kingdoms review:
There's this problem with a lot of RPGs that offer detailed morality systems. It's never a major problem, but over time, it can get to be a very noticeable one, more so because it's a thread that runs from game to game with surprising regularity. The problem is this: a good number of game writers have no idea how to present a realistic-sounding set of choices in PC/NPC dialogue.

This is relevant, I swear. Bear with me.

Almost invariably, your character will be approached by someone who wants you to do something for them. "Oh, help me brave adventure person! My wife and children have been kidnapped! I am distraught! Save them!" Also almost invariably, your options for a reply look something like this:

"Of course I will save them! I am brave and stalwart and a good person with a big sword!"
"I'm too neutral to get involved in this situation. Goodbye."
"I enjoy eating babies. Give me all your money so I can fund a trip to find and devour yours."
I should also note that I am not opposed to sacrificing yourself or others since our MC and the their LIs are playing a big part in the worlds future. Kinda like the end of Dragon Age: Origins.
V. Have any general thoughts / questions? We'd be happy to answer and converse with you!
How much does (western?) Astrology play a role into this story since it resolves around the 12 zodiac signs (Planets, houses, etc)? And is there a reward for players who are attentive and explore a lot in terms of unlocking a better end or negating having to choose "Gain that, but loose that at the same time". (Neverwinter Nights 2: The Mask of the Betrayer - Ending choice; Shadowrun: Dragonfall - More helpful ending dialogues, defuse a situation where you have to decide who you agree with because we collected more information)
Last edited by Amberbaum on Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sonnenblumen
Regular
Projects: Project: Perfectly Normal

#18 Post by sonnenblumen »

I. Is the art style appealing? As a VN, our game will ride primarily on the quality / style of our work. While I think the style itself is nice (based on the concept art I've seen so far), I have to be honest and say that some of the color schemes (this is just a personal opinion though!) are a bit jarring. Mainly, the protagonist's. I feel that the MC usually has cooler/calmer/neutral colors or has its colors adjusted to the pursuables so that they don't clash? I'm not sure how to phrase this to be honest, but there's just something about the color of Aster/Asteria's hair that kind of puts me off. :shock: Still gonna play the game though and otherwise, I think they look great! And again, it's just a personal opinion so don't mind it too much haha.

What I really like about the art is that there seems to be a lot of different body types ranging from thin to muscular and a bit chubby, rather than just skinny and lean. It's not something I consider a "must" or something, and personally my type ranges from lean to muscular, but I think that it's great that there's variety for people pick from! And the fact that there's SUCH a range of ages is great! I don't think I'll be interested in anyone over 30, especially not the 43 and 44-year old haha, unless something about them really piques my interest or I'm in a completionist mood. No offense, it's just that I'm generally not comfortable with dating people who are almost or older than twice my or the protagonist's age haha! But I'm sure there's a lot of other people who'll love it.

II. How do you feel about the story? About the choice of playing as a male or a female?
It's nice! I enjoy both BL and otome games, so the option to play as both is nice. Will there be any significant differences depending on whether you decide to play as Aster or Asteria?

III. 12 characters. It's a lot. Do you think this is a good or a bad thing? How can we be sure to make each interesting? We plan to put in the same amount of time and effort into each route, but aside from that? Both good and bad: It's great from the player's perspective, but looks like a nightmare for the developers. xD I think it'll also be fun though once the end project comes around and there's so much playable content for the players, as well as the option to explore the main story through so many characters. My one tip of advice would be to maybe consider releasing some of the routes LATER as paid or free add-ons/DLC if you ever feel you've bitten off too much to chew.

IV. What do you think of the world building / story setting? We want the game to have an eerie feel to it the majority of the time as the Void creeps slowly closer to Elune. I like what I've seen so far! These type of plots are definitely my style.

V. Have any general thoughts / questions? We'd be happy to answer and converse with you! Super excited for this project, it gives me DMMD vibes. :') Also, I LOVE how there's a range of backgrounds for the guys! Locke and Thorn are my faves so far, mainly bc twins, duh! ;') And I'm a sucker for sarcastic guys. Besides them, Lumen & Darian.

MilanaWalters
Regular

#19 Post by MilanaWalters »

i dont like to play as a female character, but as long as it doesnt take too many resources from story and romance( shorter routes and stuff) ,i guess its fine

ZodiaX
Tumblr: zodiaxgame.tumblr.com

#20 Post by ZodiaX »

Thank you guys for the amazing feedback!

A quick update for everyone;

We're gunna be changing the protagonist's hair to a single shade thanks to some of your guys' suggestions. Nox and I talked it over and we agree wholeheartedly. We've also decided to tweak some of the characters' ages, bringing the age ranges a bit closer-spaced. Please let us know any other suggestions or comments, and keep an eye on our Tumblr -- we just put up images of all 12 pairings on the character page.

-- Binary

PS;; here's Nox's redo of our little Reon! I had to share this since he's so adorable~