Your Royal Gayness (Humor, LGBT+)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Your Royal Gayness, Love Bug, Lovingly Evil
Organization: Lizard Hazard Games
Tumblr: lizardhazardgames
itch: aviala

Your Royal Gayness (Humor, LGBT+)

#1 Post by Aviala »

Your Royal Gayness is a humorous PC game where you play as a prince managing a kingdom while your parents are away. And there's one more thing - you're gay, so you also need to come up with excuses to avoid marrying a princess. Luckily, your three advisors are always by your side to help you make challenging choices that affect the financial state and happiness of your kingdom, among other things.

Our core values include diversity and acceptance, though we also want to make sure the game is fun to play!
We got funded on Kickstarter!
More Info
The game and it's story advances day-by day for a few months while your parents are traveling. Each day includes three phases.

Audience phase: Try to solve your kingdom's problems by making challenging choices!
Management phase: Give commands to your advisors so they can help you shape your kingdom the way you want.
Events phase: A neighbouring Kingdom is holding a ball - will you go? What do you do there? Events are bits of story that let you get out of your throne room. Events include special illustrations by our artists and some talented guest artists!

Sometimes there are surprises as well, like princesses who wish to marry you!

Features

-Interactive excuse-making gameplay
-Every playthrough is different because we have a lot of randomized elements
-Resource management
-Challenging moral choices
-Different playstyles supported; be the kind of ruler you want to be
-Date princes - but be careful, not everyone's gay!
-Storybook-inspired art style

Team

Consists of 6 Game Design students plus some freelancers. Lead by Salli "Aviala" Loikkanen.

Progress

Art: 80%
Stories: 80%
Game Design: 98%
Code: 70%
Music: 90%

Plans for the Future

We're planning for the game to be a commercial release on Steam and Itch.io.

Like us on Facebook

We got through Greenlight so Your Royal Gayness will be on Steam upon release!
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =894045333
Last edited by Aviala on Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:28 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Your Royal Gayness (Humor, LGBT+, Gameplay)

#2 Post by Aviala »

Greetings, my loyal and royal friends! We've made a lot of progress with Your Royal Gayness lately - most notably, we finally officially set up the company as a legal entity. Scary and work-intensive, but pretty cool, right? This allows us to pay our freelancers easier and also we look really cool and official now.

Our artists have been hard at work, and as a sneak peek to how things will look in the final game, Prince Amir in his castle:

We recently set up a dev blog in Tumblr, https://lizardhazardgames.tumblr.com/ and an official Twitter account, https://twitter.com/Lizhaz_Official
If you're interested in the game, do give us a follow - we update our social media more often than this thread.

Katta
Veteran
Tumblr: gamesbykatta
Deviantart: katjama

#3 Post by Katta »

This looks like a lot of fun, the only thing that worries me a little is whether the art is a bit too cartoonish for romance (and you said there will be romance, yay!). And how old is the prince supposed to be?

Yunou
Regular

#4 Post by Yunou »

This looks really cute.

I'm curious how you are planning to tackle the issue of legitimate heirs. Amir sounds like he is either the oldest son or the most capable of his siblings to be ruling as regent (?) while his parents are away--so I would assume the topic of legitimate children would be a concern for his parents even if they magically did not care about his orientation.

I'd imagine an accepting mother or father might just say something like, "Marriage is not about love--it's about alliances. Love is for concubines and courtesans.

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Aviala »

Katta wrote:This looks like a lot of fun, the only thing that worries me a little is whether the art is a bit too cartoonish for romance (and you said there will be romance, yay!). And how old is the prince supposed to be?
It's first and foremost a humor game, and the romances aren't going to be like they usually are in visual novels. Think of... Crusader Kings, maybe? rather than a romance VN. The romances will still hopefully be both fun and touching (pun kinda intended ;)) but they're mostly based on randomized events. Romance isn't the main focus here.

The prince is a young adult, around 19. ...The age isn't really discussed in the game, but since we may include some dark humor or slight sexual innuendo, it's probably best that he is of age.
Yunou wrote:This looks really cute.

I'm curious how you are planning to tackle the issue of legitimate heirs. Amir sounds like he is either the oldest son or the most capable of his siblings to be ruling as regent (?) while his parents are away--so I would assume the topic of legitimate children would be a concern for his parents even if they magically did not care about his orientation.

I'd imagine an accepting mother or father might just say something like, "Marriage is not about love--it's about alliances. Love is for concubines and courtesans.
Thanks!! The prince isn't out to his parents yet, so he hasn't yet had to have that conversation. You're right that we should probably have that as a topic in the game - it's definitely interesting! Amir is an only child, so their parents don't really have options to choose the heir from, unless they consider other relatives like cousins or something. That means Amir has obligations and responsibilities too - if he ran away or disappeared, there might be a bloody fight for the throne...

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

#6 Post by Harliqueen »

This looks like it's going to be interesting (and lots of fun!).

I really like the art style, it stands out nicely, and it's so nice to see such a bold colour palette!

What sort of randomised elements are there going to be? I don't think I've ever played a VN with lots of randomised elements, so I'm excited to see that.

Good luck with it!
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Aviala »

Thanks! The game doesn't have just one big overarching story, but a lot of small storylines. These storylines could happen in almost any order, though there are some that you can only get if you play a certain way - a pacifist playthrough is going to be different from a playthrough where you try to amass a lot of wealth no matter the cost, for example.

This means that there's not gonna be a situation where you can follow a walkthrough and always get the same results, it's more about choosing a political stance or playstyle and making small decisions that add up little by little.

Most non-playable characters are also randomized - they have a random sprite, personality, likes and dislikes, so while some approach may work with one character, it may not work with another.

glithch
Regular

#8 Post by glithch »

Wow! This seems too good to be true! The randomised princes etc? Such a fun idea. Is it going to be commercial or free?

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Aviala »

Wow, thanks! I hope we can make it as good as you hope it will be! The game is going to be commercial, cause devs gotta pay rent :D

We're also going to start an indiegogo crowdfunding campaign soon (ina month or so, if all goes well) and we'll be offering the game as a rewards - the campaign is the most affordable way to get the game when it launches. We guarantee that the retail price is going to be higher than the indiegogo pledge. So if you're interested, keep an eye on this thread and/or our social media pages. Thanks!

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by Aviala »

All right, so big news: we're starting a kickstarter campaign in 2 weeks! It was supposed to be indiegogo, but then we found a way to do kickstarter, which is better for actually getting funded since it's a bit less crowded than Indiegogo. We're really excited for this opportunity!

We're working hard to finish the demo and a trailer, and we're also currently looking for testers! Testers will receive a discount or even the full game once it's released, depending on the amount of testing done/feedback given. More info here: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=42632

Plueschkatze
Regular
Tumblr: Plueschkatzeart
Deviantart: Plueschkatze
itch: Plueschkatze

#11 Post by Plueschkatze »

Wow I really enjoy the unique artstyle of this! And it sounds like a fun concept! Hihi.

Edit: And btw good luck with your kickstarter!

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Aviala »

Thank you! :) Our artists (including me) send their thanks too!!

I hope you'll find the gameplay fun as well once you get to try the demo. :)

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by Aviala »

Hey all! Big news - We're live on Kickstarter!

You can also find our new trailer and download link to our alpha demo there! You can support us by sharing the campaign on social media and of course by backing us. :)

Dovahkitteh
Veteran
Completed: YDD, RE, CoB, Req
Projects: Red Embrace: Hollywood, The Black Hand
Organization: Argent Games
Tumblr: argentgames
itch: argent-games

Re: Your Royal Gayness (Humor, LGBT+) On Kickstarter!

#14 Post by Dovahkitteh »

Just wanna say that I think this project looks awesome and hilarious. I normally am not into non-anime art styles for visnovs, but yours is really cute and unique. XD Tweeted it out to help support you guys!

Writer, Programmer, Designer

Programming/Design Commissions

Image Image

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Your Royal Gayness (Humor, LGBT+) On Kickstarter!

#15 Post by Aviala »

Thank you! That helps us out a lot! I think this style fits our game better than an anime inspired style. :)