Silent Voices [Psychological][Romance][Sci-fi][Kickstarter]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
marionettas
Regular
Projects: Silent Voices
Organization: tamagobuns
Tumblr: tamagobuns

Re: Silent Voices [Psychological][Romance][Sci-fi][Kickstart

#46 Post by marionettas »

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#47 Post by Zelan »

Best of luck! ^_^ I voted for you on Greenlight, and hopefully the Kickstarter will be possible as well.

Xandra
Regular
Completed: Band Camp Boyfriend
Projects: Band Camp Boyfriend
Tumblr: http://lovebirdgames.tumblr.com/
itch: lovebird-games
Discord: xandra42

#48 Post by Xandra »

1. Does the premise interest you?
I'm definitely curious. I'm getting Divergent/Maze Runner vibes from this for some reason.

2. Who is your favorite character so far, based on appearances and Emmeline’s (probably) unreliable descriptions?
I LOVE the character descriptions and chuckled several times while reading them. I actually clicked on your thread randomly while browsing and then the character profiles made me stick around. If I had to pick a favorite, it'd have to be Sebastian. I'm a sucker for the vain/flirty guys. I also sympathize with Leo's coffee addiction, and Avery appeals to me too even though he's not one of the dating options. Reminds me of Takumi from Fire Emblem Fates. xD. Emmeline is an entertaining character as well.

3. Would you support a kickstarter?
I would consider it.

4. Any other questions or comments?
The art is clean and appealing the CGs look fabulous! I wasn't too crazy about the OP song and I think it would benefit from some reworking for your final game, but that's really the only negative thing that came to mind. The visuals in the video are beautiful and I really enjoyed the writing. Good luck with your Kickstarter and Steam Greenlight!! :D

marionettas
Regular

#49 Post by marionettas »

@Zelan
Thank you!

@Xandra
Hello! Thanks for answering all the questions!
I'm glad Avery appeals to you haha I haven't really heard anyone say that yet. I love Takumi though so I'm glad he reminds you of him!

If you wouldn't mind clarifying, which part of the OP song didn't you like? The singing, music, lyrics, etc?

We're 48 hours in and 20%+ funded, so thank you for all your support!

neuropsy
Regular
Projects: Emissary of Starlight
Tumblr: emissaryofstarlight

#50 Post by neuropsy »

1. Does the premise interest you?
Absolutely! I'm drawn to stories that explore the psychological and sociological elements of superhuman abilities. I feel that many forms of media fail to fully explore the gravity the acquisition (or lack) of such powers would have on someone's psyche and society as a whole.

2. Who is your favorite character so far, based on appearances and Emmeline’s (probably) unreliable descriptions?
Based on the demo, Delaney's my favorite so far. He seems like a real sweetheart and his needless formality is endearing. <3 I tend to go for the kindhearted pretty boys.

Ideally, yes, depending on current finances.

Silent Voices is basically my ideal visual novel. The combination of the bright art style, the complex themes, and the blend of drama and comedy is basically everything I could ever want in an otome game. The end of the demo had me begging for more. You could probably attach a cardiogram onto me and physically see just how much I reacted to the ending.
"Everyone was jumping a giant jump rope, but I was too scared to join. I was hesitant, like a child, always waiting for you."
Current Project: Emissary of Starlight

marionettas
Regular

#51 Post by marionettas »

neuropsy wrote:1. Does the premise interest you?
Absolutely! I'm drawn to stories that explore the psychological and sociological elements of superhuman abilities. I feel that many forms of media fail to fully explore the gravity the acquisition (or lack) of such powers would have on someone's psyche and society as a whole.

Based on the demo, Delaney's my favorite so far. He seems like a real sweetheart and his needless formality is endearing. <3 I tend to go for the kindhearted pretty boys.

Ideally, yes, depending on current finances.

Silent Voices is basically my ideal visual novel. The combination of the bright art style, the complex themes, and the blend of drama and comedy is basically everything I could ever want in an otome game. The end of the demo had me begging for more. You could probably attach a cardiogram onto me and physically see just how much I reacted to the ending.
Hey! Thanks for playing the demo and answering the questions. And it's totally fine if you can't donate, but I'd really appreciate if you could help spread the word!

I'm glad you liked the ending haha. To be honest I originally didn't have it planned at all (it would end right after you chose a route) but I decided to put it in and I've been getting pretty good reception on it so far. ^^ And I'm glad you like Delaney!

Xandra
Regular

#52 Post by Xandra »

@Xandra
I'm glad Avery appeals to you haha I haven't really heard anyone say that yet. I love Takumi though so I'm glad he reminds you of him!

If you wouldn't mind clarifying, which part of the OP song didn't you like? The singing, music, lyrics, etc?
I KNEW IT. As soon as I saw Avery I knew you had to be a Takumi fan. The guy is practically Takumi's brother. Gotta love those archers. <3

Sorry for being vague on the song; I'm kind of hesitant to start picking at something unless it seems it's wanted. While polishing the vocals wouldn't hurt, my biggest issue would have to be that I felt the instruments didn't support the vocals well, leaving the singing sounding naked and awkward at times. Those poor drums sound like they're trying too hard to accentuate the vocal line in the second half of the song and they need backup. I recommend amping up the string part and giving them some more dynamic countermelodies that will intertwine with the vocals in a more interesting way. Your composer might be limited depending on what tools they have at their disposal (I've been there...I'm still kind of there now lol) but anything they can do to give the instruments a more human performance will greatly help, whether that's varying dynamics, articulation, or even adding small tempo fluctuations.

The lyrics didn't stand out to me but didn't detract from the song either. I personally don't pay attention to lyrics much though. Well-written, memorable lyrics are definitely a plus, but you could have an amazing song with a great melody and a great beat and crap lyrics and I'd still listen to it, haha.

Looks like your Kickstarter is off to a good start. :)

marionettas
Regular

#53 Post by marionettas »

Xandra wrote:
@Xandra

I KNEW IT. As soon as I saw Avery I knew you had to be a Takumi fan. The guy is practically Takumi's brother. Gotta love those archers. <3

Sorry for being vague on the song; I'm kind of hesitant to start picking at something unless it seems it's wanted. While polishing the vocals wouldn't hurt, my biggest issue would have to be that I felt the instruments didn't support the vocals well, leaving the singing sounding naked and awkward at times. Those poor drums sound like they're trying too hard to accentuate the vocal line in the second half of the song and they need backup. I recommend amping up the string part and giving them some more dynamic countermelodies that will intertwine with the vocals in a more interesting way. Your composer might be limited depending on what tools they have at their disposal (I've been there...I'm still kind of there now lol) but anything they can do to give the instruments a more human performance will greatly help, whether that's varying dynamics, articulation, or even adding small tempo fluctuations.

The lyrics didn't stand out to me but didn't detract from the song either. I personally don't pay attention to lyrics much though. Well-written, memorable lyrics are definitely a plus, but you could have an amazing song with a great melody and a great beat and crap lyrics and I'd still listen to it, haha.

I loved Takumi's character arc though so I hope Avery turns out just as well haha.
Thanks for the feedback! I will pass those along to my composer. I really appreciate it!

Yeah, Kickstarter's kind of been stagnant for the past few days which is so much stress ;-; but I'm still chugging along.
Have a chibi Sebastian though, to celebrate the one week mark!

Solo Acapello
Completed: 0
Projects: Detective Butler 2, Moonlight Drizzle, Cosmic Raven
Soundcloud: Solo Acapello

#54 Post by Solo Acapello »

Xandra wrote:I KNEW IT. As soon as I saw Avery I knew you had to be a Takumi fan. The guy is practically Takumi's brother. Gotta love those archers. <3

Hey, I'm the musician for the project, so thanks for the feedback!

If you wouldn't mind, I'd be happy to shoot some PMs back and forth about mixing, since that's generally my weaker point. I'm a classical/mostly live musician, so I've been having to shore up my mixing and editing chops for a while, and you sound like you've got some experience in the area! Every bit of feedback is a chance to get better, after all!

And hey, not having top of the line tools shouldn't be an excuse for not making the best music possible, right~?

Xandra
Regular

#55 Post by Xandra »

you sound like you've got some experience in the area!
Omg. Well I'm glad it *sounds* that way, but I'm really in the same boat as you! Hahaha. I'm also a classical-oriented musician, as well as a music educator, but writing digital music is relatively new to me and yes it's much different from composing for live instruments. I've found it difficult to learn about mixing online as a lot of advice has amounted to "pay someone else to do it. " UH NO I WANNA LEARN IT MYSELF! So I've mostly been going off intuition, luck, and listening to other peoples' music to figure things out. Relying on your instincts as a musician can really point you in the right direction, but you also have to know your work station well and know how to get it to do the things you want to hear. I'm still learning more every day.

But yeah I'd love to discuss things with you! (And maybe get some feedback too?) Most other musicians I know aren't composers, much less video game composers, so I usually feel like I'm on a lonely island in composition land. Feel free to hit me up on Discord if you're on there as it'll be easier than chatting on this site. I'll PM you my tag.
Yeah, Kickstarter's kind of been stagnant for the past few days which is so much stress ;-; but I'm still chugging along.
That's only natural for things to drop off after a while. You're deeeefinitely in good shape. 8)

I like chibi Sebastian. A lot. Question for ya: do you happen to have a link to your chibi artist's thread on here, or their website? I've been looking for a chibi artist and I would really like to scope out their commissions page if they have one.

marionettas
Regular

#56 Post by marionettas »

Xandra wrote:I like chibi Sebastian. A lot. Question for ya: do you happen to have a link to your chibi artist's thread on here, or their website? I've been looking for a chibi artist and I would really like to scope out their commissions page if they have one.
Oh thank you! Yep, HERE'S the link.

SeventhHeart
Projects: Eternal Hour, Quantum Magica
Organization: Seventh Heart Studios
Soundcloud: seventh-heart-studio

#57 Post by SeventhHeart »

We voted for you on Greenlight and we wish you best of luck with both campaigns!!

Your art is beautiful! <3

marionettas
Regular

#58 Post by marionettas »

SeventhHeart wrote:We voted for you on Greenlight and we wish you best of luck with both campaigns!!

Your art is beautiful! <3
Thank you! Good luck on your campaign as well!

It's a little late but we hit 50%+ and 100+ backers, so there's a chibi promotion of sorts. Check it out!

marionettas
Regular

#59 Post by marionettas »

New update! New minor character to celebrate getting to $3000 funded! She plays an important part in one of the routes. Want to guess which one?

Thank you so much for your support and please continue to spread the word! We're nearing the halfway point of the campaign.

NaiDriftlin
Regular

#60 Post by NaiDriftlin »

Looks like you guys are doing well on Kickstarter.

I'm going to send you guys a PM about a time sensitive opportunity related to your KS. Give me a hollar when you see it.
Honest Feedback Welcome! viewtopic.php?f=43&t=42105#p440676
Want feedback? Just ask!

Want instant feedback?
Join me on Discord Devtalk! https://discord.gg/K3w2khD