limbo [GxB][Fantasy • Drama]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
chickandnugget
Regular
Projects: circuit/break
Tumblr: chickandnugget
itch: Edelblu

limbo [GxB][Fantasy • Drama]

#1 Post by chickandnugget »

Outline: 70%
Script: 0%
Sprite Art: 100%
CG Art: 0%
BG Art: 0%
GUI: 100%
Director/Writer/GUI: edelblu
Programmer: X
Sprite Artist: To-yo
CG Artist: chokkopo
BG Artist: YuukiCrossPudding
Logo: ofdawnandtwilight
Promo/Main Menu Artist: Kamochiruu
Composer: X

Note: I'm planning on starting active production for this game mid-February (after finishing Romancin Dudes) and releasing it around April. But I figured that it's never too early to get general feedback!

Lucky1443
Regular
Projects: SACRIFICE
Tumblr: Lucky1443
Deviantart: Lucky1443

Re: limbo [GxB][Fantasy • Drama]

#2 Post by Lucky1443 »

1. The story seems very cool and interesting
2. Ezra seems pretty interesting, but so does the Mc
3. Yes
4. Absolutely can't wait
OPEN for SPRITE/CG ART viewtopic.php?f=62&t=38654 FREE TO USE ASSETS viewtopic.php?f=52&t=39634

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by gekiganwing »

I searched Google for "limbo." About six of the first ten results were for an indie game. If you choose to sell your VN, then please keep in mind that people will need to search for "Limbo visual novel." Therefore, consider your title carefully.
chickandnugget wrote:Are you okay with having no purely 'good' or 'bad' endings?
Yes. Especially if this is one of your goals for creating this story. If you want to write it in order to avoid associating "Girl and guy form a relationship" and "Upbeat ending," then that's fine. Likewise, if you're writing this VN to disassociate "Girl does not succeed in forming a relationship with guy" with "Negative ending," that is also fine.

chickandnugget
Regular
Projects: circuit/break
Tumblr: chickandnugget
itch: Edelblu

#4 Post by chickandnugget »

@Lucky1443 Thanks for the input!

@gekiganwing I am aware of the platformer 'limbo', but since it's a completely different genre (and not a particularly distinct name) I'm not concerned about confusion between the two games. I'm also not planning on selling this, as per the 'features' section of the thread. The story of limbo definitely does away with the dichotomy of 'success/failure' being based on forming a romantic relationship. Thanks for the feedback!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#5 Post by Zelan »

Shit, dude, I clicked on this thread thinking "whatever, I'll look at this new WIP, probably nothing fantastic though" and was immediately FLOORED by the title screen art. It's freaking gorgeous. Anyway, your questions:

1. The "main character with amnesia" thing is used pretty often, but the bit with the maze and the demon is interesting, so it seems like you've got your own spin on that trope which will make your VN interesting and worthwhile.
2. Isaac. He's cute, for one thing (I know, I'm shallow, shut up). That conflict of the happy memories but sad feelings also has me interested, though, and in these amnesia-type stories I'm always interested in the moments where the main character finally remembers something from the past.
3. YES, that's amazing. It's pretty much inevitable that some endings might have more clearly positive or negative elements, but sometimes in VNs when a developer sets out to create specifically good and bad ends, they just feel too over-the-top. (Bad end: You didn't get the girl, her dog died because of that, your dad has cancer now, and as you were walking out of the clinic after the diagnosis you got hit by an ice cream truck. Good end: You got the girl AND your promotion, the girl's controlling father had a change of heart, the evil corporation boss who was barely relevant has been defeated, and your mom's been alive the whole time. Like... okay, I guess, but that's quite a few coincidences.) Endings with good and bad elements are more realistic and more interesting.
4. Yup! It seems like a cool project! ^_^