Sanator: Scarlet Scarf [Dark Fantasy] * [Mystery]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
DigitalHorsey
Projects: Sanator
Organization: Ignis Sanat

Sanator: Scarlet Scarf [Dark Fantasy] * [Mystery]

#1 Post by DigitalHorsey »

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Hello everyone! I'm really excited to announce that Sanator: Scarlet Scarf is finally on Steam.

In this topic, I'd like to post news about our project, and, occassionally, progress reports.
Hope you will find it interesting.
Any comments are welcome!

Also, if you'd like to, you can participate in a small survey:

1. What do you think of the Sanator concept in general?
2. What kind of anime-related content do you like (anime, manga, ranobe, visual novels etc.)?
3. Do you like story driven RPG games?
4. How often do you read fantasy or science-fiction books?
5. Do you use Patreon to support your favourite artists or game developers?
6. How do you think, is $9.99 a good price for a 2.5 hours visual novel?
7. Do you prefer to buy a DRM free game (for example, on Itch.io) rather than its Steam version?
8. Do you use mobile devices to read visual novels? Would you prefer it over PC version if it's available?

Thank you.
Last edited by DigitalHorsey on Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:53 pm, edited 7 times in total.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Sanator: Scarlet Scarf [Dark fantasy] * [Drama]

#2 Post by gekiganwing »

DigitalHorsey wrote:1. What do you think of the Sanator concept in general?
I like the muted colors, which seem appropriate for your setting. I also like the 2D drawn character art, which I would consider to be somewhere between photorealistic and exaggerated. When I saw your drawings, my first thought was "It would not be out of place in an indie comic, or a standalone graphic novel."

I am worried about the story problem known as darkness induced audience apathy. It can affect stories in which the setting is so bleak that there doesn't seem to be anything worth saving. It can also affect stories in which the heroic characters aren't especially sympathetic, or not much different from the villains. Think about how you can address these concerns.
DigitalHorsey wrote:7. Do you prefer to buy a DRM free game (for examples, on Itch.io) rather than its Steam version?
Yes. I would prefer not to worry about if the title might get de-listed.
DigitalHorsey wrote:8. Do you use mobile devices to read visual novels? Would you prefer it over PC version if it's available?
Sometimes, yes. In the last few years, I've had trouble focusing on home console and computer games. I prefer to experience entertainment on a mobile device.
DigitalHorsey wrote:2. What kind of anime-related content do you like (anime, manga, ranobe, visual novels etc.)?
4. How often do you read fantasy or science-fiction books?
Off-topic personal stuff:
* I wandered into translated comics fandom almost two decades ago. Lately I've had difficulty focusing on stories which emphasize continuity, so I've watched episodic series or standalone movies instead.
* Some of my favorite animated series were based on light novels. However, the only LN which I got into was Slayers. Because I haven't been an active fan, I've never heard the term "ranobe."
* The moment when I was most interested in visual novels was the mid-2000s. I enjoyed both professional and freeware titles, and took time to read anything which seemed remotely interesting. As of this writing, I'm considering returning to the computer VN scene for a while.
* I grew up enjoying console RPGs. The first few that I liked had almost no plot other than "defeat the villain, save the princess." During the late 2000s, when I chose to walk away from computer and home console games, the ones which I liked usually had an emphasis on plot and characters.
* I also grew up in public libraries, and read every fantasy novel which seemed personally interesting.

DigitalHorsey

#3 Post by DigitalHorsey »

We've been greenlit!

@gekiganwing:

Thank you very much for answering. Just as I thought, we all have somewhat similar tastes.
Speaking about "darkness induced audience apathy" trope — I would say our characters are just more grey than black and white. They are all pretty relatable.
Glad you like the artwork, by the way.

DigitalHorsey

#4 Post by DigitalHorsey »

Let me introduce you to Sanator OST. The first track is the main theme — "Fire lament" made by our composer Avernus Xardara. Hope you like it.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#5 Post by Zelan »

That's a damn good main theme. Are you planning to make the soundtrack available for purchase?

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Simple as Snow, Lady Luck's Due,
Projects: Aether Skies, Of the Waterfall
Tumblr: casting-dreams
itch: castingdreams

#6 Post by wyverngem »

1. What do you think of the Sanator concept in general?
Caught my interest, it looks really polished. Is it available in Russian right now?

Yep, more than I do turn based conflicts and mindless tactics. I like the stories because they give purpose.

5. Do you use Patreon to support your favorite artists or game developers?
No

6. How do you think, is $3.99 a good price for a 2.5 hours visual novel?
You're underselling yourself. From the screenshots it would be as if you were giving away your game. If you want marketing advice look up the commercial indie games and get a list going. Compare what they offer to your game and get a list of pricing. Just because it's two hours doesn't mean it might not have replay value or it going to take one sitting to finish. I have plenty of games that were listed as two hours and it doesn't mean I finish it that early.

7. Do you prefer to buy a DRM free game (for example, on Itch.io) rather than its Steam version?
I don't like it when games update after being released. They seem unpolished when they have to be updated or when you are forced to download an update before you can play a game again and rarely do you see why there were changes.

8. Do you use mobile devices to read visual novels? Would you prefer it over PC version if it's available?
The issue with mobile games for me is it draining batteries and I feel I have to wear headsets to enjoy them without disturbing others. If it's there I'd probably just play the PC.

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#7 Post by noeinan »

Looks cool!

DigitalHorsey

#8 Post by DigitalHorsey »

@Zelan:

Thanks, Zelan. Yup, it will be available as a part of the DLC.

@wyverngem:

Thanks for answering.
It is available, but frankly speaking I wouldn't recommend it because the graphics is really outdated (the original game was released in 2014). Now we're completely remastering the whole graphic part for upcoming Steam release.
Also thank you very much for pricing advices.

@daikiraikimi:

Thanks! Glad you like it.

illuminate001
Veteran
Completed: DSGR, Let's MEAT Adam, Sexy Litter, Bara Boarders
Projects: Secret Project
Organization: Soulsoft Electronic Arts
Tumblr: soulsoftea
itch: soulsoftea

#9 Post by illuminate001 »

Hi DigitalHorsey, I'm guessing since you are using "we're" when talking about the game that you have a team, but I just have to ask...are the art assets your creation? They are REALLY something.

Anyways I really like the art direction and the whole thing really reminds me of a sort of miyazaki-but-painterly blend. I'd love to try out a demo at least whenever that gets released and leave a comment on my thoughts afterward.
ImageImage
ImageImage

DigitalHorsey

#10 Post by DigitalHorsey »

@illuminate001:

Hi! Yep, we're a small team and I'm the only one artist. Glad you like the drawings.

Are you a native English speaker? If you would like to participate in our beta test (proofreading), we can send you a free copy of the game when it's avaliable.

illuminate001
Veteran
Completed: DSGR, Let's MEAT Adam, Sexy Litter, Bara Boarders
Projects: Secret Project
Organization: Soulsoft Electronic Arts
Tumblr: soulsoftea
itch: soulsoftea

#11 Post by illuminate001 »

Oh sure! That would be totally fine! ^_^

Just keep me in the loop.
ImageImage
ImageImage

DigitalHorsey

#12 Post by DigitalHorsey »

A few WIP pages for the Scarlet Scarf artbook (will be available as a part of the DLC).

Image Image

DigitalHorsey

#13 Post by DigitalHorsey »

Hi there!
Another track from the Sanator OSTCatacombs by Avernus Xardara.
Hope you like it.

DigitalHorsey

#14 Post by DigitalHorsey »

I've just finished a panorama of Royshtadt — a city where our story takes place!

DigitalHorsey

#15 Post by DigitalHorsey »

Happy New Year to everyone!