Touch of Fae [Fantasy, Romance, GxB]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

Touch of Fae [Fantasy, Romance, GxB]

#1 Post by Harliqueen »

On moonlit night,
when sky is bright,
look to the ground and see,
what faerie feet have left on path,
a circle round and wee.
But keep afar,
from grassy scar,
that circles near the tree,
for if you tred,
or dance instead,
you never shall be free.

It's a rhyme Freya heard many times as a child from her mother as they passed the ring of mushrooms that envelop the largest oak in the park.
But it’s just an old wive’s tale- a fairy story, right?
Well, she’s about to find out that some tales are more real than expected.
--

Touch of Fae is a fantasy otome game about a girl who falls through a fairy ring and discovers a world beyond. Realising she is of both worlds, she has to make some tough choices and find out just which world she connects to more.

Latest Update- 28/2/17- viewtopic.php?f=43&t=41994#p445434

Love Interests

Other

[GxB][Fantasy, Romance][1280x720]
Warnings: Blood, Fantasy Violence, Suggestive Adult Content.

- 3 individual love interest routes
- 4 endings for each route (Bad end, Fae End, Human End, True Love End)
- Main character’s personality dependant on choices made by you
- Original art for all BGs, GUI, CGs, and sprites
- Character customisation!
- CG Gallery (CGs in the gallery will show the default character, as I have no idea how to code it otherwise! But CGs in-game will show custom character)

So, I’m finally getting to announce my new project! I’m really excited to start it, and have been working on it since the end of last year. It’s still a way off from completion yet, but I thought I would show what I have so far.

It is indeed about faeries. Partly because I have always been interested in them, but also partly because I had the real urge to draw characters with bright hair and big ears.

And yes, there is going to be a character customisation feature in this VN! It’s something I’ve really wanted to add, and I’m finally pushing myself to do it. Unfortunately, that does mean CGs will take much, much more work, but I really hope it will pay off. Also, I imagine it will mean the game will have quite a large file size!

Character Customisation Screen WIP

It will be commercial, though I’m still not sure on pricing yet, as I’m hoping I might be able to offer the routes individually and in a bundle. So, I will do my best to work that out! First thing I will be concentrating on is getting the demo up together, which I will release at the same time as Steam Greenlight (fingers crossed for that!).

Planning: 100%

Demo
Prologue: 100%
Brice First Chapter: 100%
Finyan First Chapter: 60%
Varden First Chapter: 0%

Full game
Script- Brice: 0%
Script- Varden: 0%
Script- Finyan: 0%

Art
Sprites: 60%
BGs: 20%
CGs: 5%
GUI: 95%

Music: 50%

Once again, I am a one-woman team on this project, so things will progress steadily but probably slower than most!

I’ll probably post some questions up when I have released the demo, but until then, I would love to hear your first thoughts on this! Or, if you have any questions then please just let me know- just leave a comment here or PM me!

You can also follow the progress of Touch of Fae more closely on my Tumblr- http://seraphinitegames.tumblr.com/
Last edited by Harliqueen on Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Touch of Fae [Fantasy, Romance, GxB]

#2 Post by Zelan »

Awwwwwww YES! :D This one is gonna be freakin' awesome. Good luck with that customization - I know that's a pain - and thank you for going through the trouble of providing it for us. ^_^

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by gekiganwing »

Harliqueen wrote:Blood, Fantasy Violence, Suggestive Adult Content.
First, I noticed that your art style has muted colors, and characters who look somber. These content warnings, along with the art, seem to indicate that this will be a downbeat story. Do you want your VN to be relatively serious or depressing in tone?
Harliqueen wrote:Main character’s personality dependant on choices made by you
About how many choices will it take to shape the protagonist's personality?

Let's say that this story has three acts. If that is true, will the reader be able to determine who she is during the first act of the story, or will they be continuing to form her personality in the second and third act?

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)

#4 Post by Harliqueen »

Zelan wrote:Awwwwwww YES! :D This one is gonna be freakin' awesome. Good luck with that customization - I know that's a pain - and thank you for going through the trouble of providing it for us. ^_^
Thank you so much :D I'm really glad you're looking forward to it. I'm sure the effort to do the character customisation will be worth it. I always love customisation myself, so I figure other people would too!
gekiganwing wrote: First, I noticed that your art style has muted colors, and characters who look somber. These content warnings, along with the art, seem to indicate that this will be a downbeat story. Do you want your VN to be relatively serious or depressing in tone?
Harliqueen wrote:Main character’s personality dependant on choices made by you
About how many choices will it take to shape the protagonist's personality?

Let's say that this story has three acts. If that is true, will the reader be able to determine who she is during the first act of the story, or will they be continuing to form her personality in the second and third act?
I suppose the routes are sort of serious, but not completely. There are elements of danger in it, but not all the way through- but I figure people don't need to be warned about the happy moments, so it's just the major stuff in the warnings :D I like to be up-front about content that might make people uncomfortable, even if there's only a small bit of it.

I do like muted colour palettes, though the characters aren't sombre necessary. I just happened to show them all with neutral expressions, which I suppose I could have shown some with smiling ones :)

The way the character's personality will work will be similar to The Lady's Choice, which had good feedback on how that worked.

It won't be that the character's personality is shaped, but more that you will just keep having the choices to choose the personality you want. There won't be a cut off point where the MC's personality is decided, it will always be up to you. I hope that makes sense? :D

Thank you so much for the questions! If you have any more, please just let me know.

Harliqueen
Veteran

#5 Post by Harliqueen »

Update- 20/1/17
So, this week I admit I didn’t make as much progress as I’d hoped. But, still pleased with what I managed!

- Coded in all the sprites for the demo.
- Planned out the prologue.
- Started on 1st CG (wanted to practice with coding CGs with the character creator).

Thought I’d show some examples of how the customised sprites will transfer to CGs (though, this is more of a mini-CG :D).

There are obviously more combinations of character than that, just thought I’d pick some random examples :)
I’ll be working on the prologue (coding and writing) next week. Very excited to get this story going!

If you want to know more about Touch of Fae, why not check out my Tumblr- http://seraphinitegames.tumblr.com

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Simple as Snow, Lady Luck's Due,
Projects: Aether Skies, Of the Waterfall
Tumblr: casting-dreams
itch: castingdreams

#6 Post by wyverngem »

^_^ Very nice, I'm actually looking forward to your second game. I enjoyed the first one very much. As for the gallery there is a way to do this so that you can have the avatar customized. You would just need to compose your images with the avatar as a layer. You'd then set the different aspects to a persistent variable and if you use the gallery script from the documentation you can set up a layered cg to show the avatar. You can also set up images with layers using "contain" to use multiple images to create your cg. Most people use contain to create animated backgrounds, but it's possible to make it just a layered image.

minnesinger

#7 Post by minnesinger »

Oh, I wish you the best of luck. Doing everything all by yourself is tough, but I guess it'll be very satisfying too.
Fell in love with the backgrounds, those woods look like a decent place to live as a fae. Definitely want more!
Last edited by minnesinger on Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alcor
Veteran
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNo '16), misSHAPEn love! (NaNo '16)
Projects: a(t)rium
itch: cosmic-albacore

#8 Post by Alcor »

This is looking really nice, Seraphinite! I'm loving the character customization options (though it definitely looks like a ton of work for CGs). I really enjoyed the personality-shaping options in Lady's Choice, so it's awesome that you're implementing them again here.

Good luck, and I look forward to following your progress! :D

Harliqueen
Veteran

#9 Post by Harliqueen »

@wyverngem- I'm glad you're looking forward to it! It's something quite different than my last VN, but it's really fun to get into a completely different setting :D
Thanks for your suggestion about the gallery! It's more of a time thing (though my coding skills are also very limited). Seeing as it's just me, I'm having to try and limit time on some things so as I can concentrate full efforts on the actual game to make the best it can be :)

@minnesinger- Thank you for your encouraging comment :D Doing it alone is indeed pretty hard going!

@ALCOR_etc- I'm really glad you're liking the look of it! The character customisation is hard work, not gonna lie about that :D And the CGs are going to take that much more time (and space in game), but I'm pleased with how it's turning out. It's nice to finally be able to implement something I've wanted to do for quite some time!

Kirlett
Regular

#10 Post by Kirlett »

OH MY GOD.
ANOTHER GAME BY YOU.
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.
I would play anything made by you, tbh.
I need a demo! Agh! Don't worry, I'm not rushing you, take your time. Looks amazing! And you kept that "choose the heroine's personality" from The Lady's Choice. Yay! AND WE CHOOSE HOW SHE LOOKS.

You take everything I want in an otome and make it real. Thank you.
I'll be here ofter to check out progress <3

Harliqueen
Veteran

#11 Post by Harliqueen »

Kirlett wrote:OH MY GOD.
ANOTHER GAME BY YOU.
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.
I would play anything made by you, tbh.
I need a demo! Agh! Don't worry, I'm not rushing you, take your time. Looks amazing! And you kept that "choose the heroine's personality" from The Lady's Choice. Yay! AND WE CHOOSE HOW SHE LOOKS.

You take everything I want in an otome and make it real. Thank you.
I'll be here ofter to check out progress <3
Thank you so much for your confidence and encouragement :D The character customisation (appearance and personality) is something I really wanted to get in there, and I'm really pleased with how it's going so far!

The demo probably won't be for a while yet, as I want to offer the prologue and chapter 1 of each route, but it will hopefully be worth the wait :)

--

Small Update

I have finished writing Brice's first chapter! Yay! I'm actually really happy with how it's come out, tried some different kind of things in it :)

I'll be working on Finyan's first chapter next, hopefully might get a good way into it before Nanoreno hits...

Harliqueen
Veteran

#12 Post by Harliqueen »

February Update

So, things have progressed really quite well this month on Touch of Fae.

I’ve finished the prologue, finished Brice’s first chapter, and also got a start on Finyan’s first chapter! Gradually edging closer to the demo…

Here’s some screenshots:

---
***Work on Touch of Fae will be on hold until after March, as I will be participating in NaNoReNo during March once again.***

But after Nano, it’s back to Touch of Fae :)

Hope everyone is doing well!

JBShields
Regular
Projects: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=47586
Organization: First Step Cinematics

#13 Post by JBShields »

Can't wait. Looks great. Also, I love fae stories!

Kirlett
Regular

#14 Post by Kirlett »

It's so pretty <3