KIGAEA Tactics [RPG][4x][In Development]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
dott.Piergiorgio
Veteran

Re: KIGAEA Tactics [RPG][4x][In Development]

#31 Post by dott.Piergiorgio »

mmm... I don't know if Pytom read this, but perhaps a solution similiar to AMOS is feasible (for people too young to remember, AMOS was a game development language akin to Ren'Py, and the 3D version (back then, 3d was of the "sand and pyramid" type) was released as a different product, named AMOS 3D) so, I offer this idea to Pytom...

SypherZent
Veteran
Completed: Multiverse Heroes, Space Hamster in Turmoil

#32 Post by SypherZent »

Oh interesting. For now I don't think it really lacks the 3D functionality, as it's really for Visual Novels. For my game, I'm intentionally focusing on 2.5d isometric, haha so at least I don't have need of the 3D functionality. I have seen some codes on Ren'Py for the framework of a dungeon crawler (sort of like Legend of Grimrock) so I am sure there are ways of emulating 3D without it being entirely 3D. That is why I think any type of game is possible as the engine is.

I think as long as gameplay is made right, the graphics are not primary, though.
Many pixel graphic indie titles are extremely popular and it makes possible for simpler engine (no lighting, shadows, etc. all that is made into the art resources, which are low in memory usage and it's not something for the hardware to constantly process).

Simpler engine allows more focus on actual mechanics like the A.I. and gameplay, and I think this is what brings the most entertainment. ^^
It's one of the reasons I really love Ren'Py. It's very simple, functional, and efficient in what it does. It also has a lot of potential.
You can tell it is the product of many years of focus. ^^
Last edited by SypherZent on Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SypherZent
Veteran

#33 Post by SypherZent »

Hey, just wanted to post that I am alive and well after Hurricane Maria. Most of the island lacks electricity and proper communications, but still working on pen and paper and aiming to get a generator soon.

The development continues!

Back to survival mode. Hoping to be back to normal operations soon. Have quite a bit to share, once the internet speed is flowing properly!
Last edited by SypherZent on Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SypherZent
Veteran

#34 Post by SypherZent »

Patch Notes 9/15/2017 - 9/18/2017 (Between Hurricane Irma and Hurricane Maria)

--- CONCEPT & ART ---
Adventurer art spritesheet (male) completed (Portrait, Map Icon, 48 animation frames; attack animations still need Quality Assurance, Calibration).
Initiate art spritesheet (female) completed (Portrait, Map Icon, 48 animation frames; attach animations still need Quality Assurance, Calibration).

Created pseudocode for pathfinding improvements.
Tile elevation needs verification & adjustment (QA Testing) once floor tiles art has been size calibrated.

Item spritesheet created. New items introduced to spritesheet!
*Fruits: Broccoli, Tomato, Potato, Carrot, Eggplant
*Vegetables: Watermelon, Apple, Banana, Orange, Blueberries
*Vegetarian, Meats, and Dairy: Lettuce, Ham, Cheese, Egg, Chicken
*Alcoholic Drinks: Beer, Ale, Moonshine
*Non-Alcoholic Drinks: Veggie Juice, Milk, Lemonade, Orange Juice, Grape Juice, Water, Coffee
*Prepared Foods: Bread Loaf, Bread Slice, Sausage, Salad, Soup
*Weapons: Iron Dagger, Iron Sword, Iron Axe, Wooden Mace, Pike, Spear, Bow, Magic Sword, Staff
*Armors: Clothes, Traveller's Clothes, Chain Mail (Lt), Doublet (Lt), Chain Mail (Hv), Scale Mail (Hv), Robe, Dark Robe
*Helmets: Leather Cap, Leather Hat, Feathered Cap, Horned Cap, Iron Cap, Iron Helm, Magic Hat, Dark Hat
*Accessories: Ebony Glove, Ivory Glove, Boots, Heavy Boots, Buckler, Fine Buckler, Gold Ring, Gemstone Ring
Enlarged some of the new item art for better viewing in game.

Created three new inventory Category icons: allitems, consumables, crafting materials
Reworked existing inventory Category icons (they look so awesome, now).

Art for new structures!
Barn
Cabin
Isolated Wooden House
Tall Tower
Tribe Bldg 1
Tribe Bldg 2
Two Flr Bldg
Two Flr Bldg w/ Pillars
Watermill
Weird Building
Well

Consumables' quality quantified for advanced A.I. Logic related to Likes and Dislikes based on Archetypes.

--- TACTICS ---
Implemented all of the above-mentioned items into their respective dictionaries, including art offsets for proper thumbnail loading.

Added two new speech dictionaries: Greeting_Strangers, Greeting_Friends.
Added new speech dictionary, SPCH_GUARD, with four context parameters: Peace, Combat, Breach, Evac (dialogue based on state of the town and adjacent fields).

Added item thumbnails to in-game screens.
Implemented new art for all inventory Categories.
Implemented three new inventory Categories: allitems, consumables, crafting materials.
Reworked inventory handlers to allow for Looting and Storing items in containers.
Greatly improved container definitions.
UI for Storage / Looting Containers complete (aesthetics will be worked on again at some point, but it works great right now).
Players can now loot and store items in containers!
"Take All" now automatically closes the container screen when used.
Player can now interact with containers embedded into Building images via added Invisible Container functionality.
FXSprite zorder changed, so that it can appear in front of buildings ("TOO FAR" art needs updating).

Reworked Item Comparison and Unequip functionality in Equipment Screen (item comparison still needs tweaks).
Removed Equipment click functionality in Status screen.

Added Character Portraits to Squad Management Screen.
Added new Character Portrait+Pixel display for Status, Equipment, Ability screens.
Fixed alignments and positioning for Portraits on Status, Equipment, Ability, and Squad Management screens.

Fixed a bothersome issue where a single pixel on each tile would not detect clicks.
Fixed a slight issue with internal pathfinding elevation value not resetting after player movement ends in town.
Player speed has been increased by 33% when exploring town zones.
Quality Quantification data lists have been added, with all consumables qualitatively quantified (quack).

Added spritesheet (animation) functionality to NPCs.

--- MAP MAKER ---
Fixed a bothersome issue where a single pixel on each tile would not detect clicks.

SypherZent
Veteran

#35 Post by SypherZent »

These are a few previews of the Courtroom system.
More info to come in future patch notes, but any questions are welcome in case they arise. ^^

SypherZent
Veteran

#36 Post by SypherZent »

Just finished the Unit Placement Phase of combat. Am very psyched!

Next, I will be moving onto the "Intent Phase", a feature of the unique combat system presented in KIGAEA Tactics.
Current working name for the combat system is, the IAI Combat Engine (IAI being short for (I)ntent, (A)ction, (I)nteraction).

Intent phase is traditional turn-based selection of where to move, based on unit's speed and turn order.
Once all units have picked their Intent regarding where to move, and/or what to do, the Action phase begins and all units move at the same time.

This is my idea to streamline Turn-Based tactics, into Real-Time exploration, seamlessly.
The time auditing for Combat is scalable to exploration time, meaning, during Action Phase, A.I. that is not in combat are still exploring the world and doing things.

Finally, if your Intent was interrupted (an A.I. enemy walked into your planned route to destination), then an Interaction popup will appear, and each unit will have their respective Skills that they can select, related to initiating an engagement (e.g. If the enemy is an invisible assassin, and walked behind your unit as it was walking toward a destination during the Action Phase, then you may expect to get hit by a Backstab skill, which is a skill only used to Engage an enemy).

The term "Engage" means that the units are in melee combat during the Action Phase.
In order to move on the field, you must be disengaged. Certain skills can only be used to engage, and there will also be skills to facilitate disengaging enemies.

This may sound very deep and complex, but I assure you it will be very simplistic and easy to follow once it is implemented!
This is my vision of a really amazing combat system, where Real-Time Replay of the fight, is possible, after the turn-based experience has occurred.

I am already at work making the full combat engine, and I hope to soon show everything that I have just described.

Hope you enjoyed this update! More to come as the development continues!

---

Note: Working on the UI currently. Preview of the Turn Order panel is in!

---

Combat flow in progress!
Last edited by SypherZent on Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SypherZent
Veteran

#37 Post by SypherZent »

Still working on the combat, and it's going to take a few days.
I'd like to share some details of the combat system, though.

Today was a long day of solving little challenges related to the development of this methodology.
However, it has been successful. Currently, testing it with move = 8.

The last step will be to implement obstacle detection and omit paths that cannot be taken, from the list of possible paths.

The selection of the precise path your unit will take, is a very important mechanic for the custom combat engine KIGAEA Tactics will feature. It will determine where, on the field, you will encounter enemy units, who will also be choosing their own paths dynamically. Enemy Archers and Magic units will obviously take the longer routes to their destinations, away from your melee units, while enemy Melee units take the shortest path toward your units, provided they do not have combat orders from an A.I. of higher psyche to define a new set of rules of engagement.

I won't go into too much detail on the A.I. at this stage, as this post would become too long, lol.

And remember: any questions on the development of KIGAEA Tactics are welcome!

Will show more on the combat mechanics as the development progresses. :)

---

Edit: Pathfinding has now been integrated into path selection!
This means that, paths with obstructions will no longer appear as part of the list of possible paths you can choose.

Last edited by SypherZent on Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SypherZent
Veteran

#38 Post by SypherZent »

Today I was able to conquer a difficult challenge regarding the aesthetics of a combat mechanic that has never existed. I am very happy to have found a solution, and I would like to share this experience.

Due to the unique nature of the Intent Phase of KIGAEA Tactics, once you have moved your first unit, your next unit should have their original standing tile available as an option. After programming this, I was left with something confusing and not aesthetically pleasing.

In the image on the left, it is the turn of the Female Adventurer (Blonde Hair). I choose to move her forward 2 tiles.
In the image on the right, it is the turn of the Female Initiate (Purple Hair).
As you can see, she can move to the tile where the Female Adventurer is still standing.
...But it looks horrible!

After 2 hours of brainstorming and networking with a number of friends for their opinions, I was able to come up with an interesting solution.

As you can see it makes much more sense, now that the units have been ghosted!
However, there is still a piece of information that is missing. A piece of data necessary for the player.
The destination they selected! When they have 5-6 units, it'll be hard remembering it all.

And here is the icing on the cake that solved the aesthetic challenge.
Icons will appear at the destination selected by the user, making it easy to track your moves during this phase!

Due to the nature of this unique combat engine, telepathy skills will be able to show the enemy icons!
Stronger telepaths will be able to show the exact paths that enemies intend on taking!
And all of this will be possible, for Multiplayer (if ever implemented, which is my goal and dream given the game's success)!

I hope you enjoyed this update.
More to come!

SypherZent
Veteran

#39 Post by SypherZent »

Hello everyone, I would like to share the latest development video for KIGAEA Tactics.
This video covers the Intent Phase of combat.

Also, I apologize for the low volume! I wrote the closed caption in English, so feel free to use it!
Another option is:

1) Right click the Sound Icon in systray.
2) Select Playback Devices
3) Right Click your Speakers and select Properties.
4) Select Enhancements tab, then turn Loudness Equalization on.
5) Refresh the YouTube page.
6) Remember to turn it off when the video finishes!

Thanks for watching!
Last edited by SypherZent on Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

SypherZent
Veteran

#40 Post by SypherZent »

The wonderful intricacies of Turn-Based Tactics meets Real Time Action.
In other words, no unit will merely wait to get hit in the face.
Interaction phase is in progress!

Last edited by SypherZent on Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SypherZent
Veteran

#41 Post by SypherZent »

BUG SHOWCASE

1) The "Screw you, I'm going home." (12/16/2017)

2) The "They may listen, but you're still not fooling me." (12/17/2017)

3) And finally, the "I want to be a Monk, so I can use Thousand Palms, too!" (12/19/2017)

Needless to say, it has been an exciting week!

SypherZent
Veteran

#42 Post by SypherZent »

SypherZent
Veteran

#43 Post by SypherZent »

Work is being done on the Combat UI. Here is a preview!

SypherZent
Veteran

#44 Post by SypherZent »

Latest preview is better than the last one.
More information on movement is displayed, and new UI!

SypherZent
Veteran

#45 Post by SypherZent »

Next video shows the combat UI improvements.
Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas!