Apocrypha [Adventure][BxG]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
SupersizeMyHeart
Veteran
Projects: Supersize My Heart!
Deviantart: JeremyRawn

Apocrypha [Adventure][BxG]

#1 Post by SupersizeMyHeart »

O V E R V I E W
What do you get when you combine the colorful palette of Disney with the high politics and grisliness of George R. R. Martin? The Memories We Share.

MW is a 100k+ visual novel passion project and a story I've been trying to tell a long time. Based off a homework assignment in History class, it became the first book I ever wrote when I was twelve years old. And now, twelve years and many rewrites later, I'm finally sharing the story that little fat kid wrote so long ago.

You play Alnon, our conveniently gender-ambiguous protagonist, as they search for meaning in their life by pursuing the long-cold trail of their parents' killers. This eventually leads them to Rhaga, capital of Hyrcania, and soon they're swept up in the lies, plots and schemes of the realm's highborn as war with the south becomes increasingly inevitable.

This is a game with a particular story to tell, with many ways to experience it. The city of Rhaga is alive - if you choose to go to the local inn to search for leads on your parents' killers, don't expect the snitch that was at the bazaar buying supplies to be there waiting for you after. While some story scenes stitch the narrative together, you choose the way you spend your days in the city, sharing adventures and growing closer to specific characters based entirely on your choices.

C H A R A C T E R S
Pal around with 18 unique characters, each with their own backstories, agendas, schedules, and secrets. There is only so much time in the day and it is impossible to learn everything there is to know about everyone in a single play through. So relax, enjoy your unique story and keep notes so you know who to pursue next time. There are six primary routes, so meet your potential romances:

FROM LEFT TO RIGHT: Halil, Nureen, Jalilah, Sahil, Jai, Ebrahim.

Up first, we have Halil, a westerner with a long legacy who serves honorably as Wartime Councilor to the King. Next, we have the King's own daughter, Nureen, last survivor of her parents' children and the heir to Rhaga's throne. Jalilah is an exile from a far away land, but she's fallen into the service of the King of Rhaga as an Ambassador to his Overlord. Sahil sits on the King's Council as well, but her primary duties are to the spiritual needs of the people and her ministries at the temple. The easy-going Jai is a traveler with a deft hand on the strings of any instrument, but currently he serves as Steward of the King's house. Lastly, coming from the northern province of Hyrcania, Ebrahim is very much a warlike Mazanderani of the Yellow City, and sits on the King's Council as a (somewhat) peaceful Emissary between the nation's sisterland.

F E A T U R E S

-100k+ story
-6 routes + 2 secret routes
-18 characters
-Concept art gallery
-Behind the scenes features

C G s
ImageImage

O U R S T O R Y
Anyone who followed the game when I first put it up is undoubtedly familiar with how much it has changed over time. The difficulties I've faced actually putting this thing together are ridiculous. From computers spontaneously frying to the failing health of family members, from struggles with artwork to moving to a developing country, it's been a wild ride. Months of zero progress would roll by and I'd just get closer and closer to quitting the project entirely. I thoroughly underestimated the workload and cost of the game I wanted to make. I was forced to roll back features and change directions again and again until I just decided to go dark until I could get my crap together. And now here we are, closer than ever to a final release, and I can't believe it.

We're not done yet. But we're getting there. Thank you all so much for your patience. I've spent twelve years with these idiot characters and I can't wait for you to meet them.
Last edited by SupersizeMyHeart on Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:25 pm, edited 62 times in total.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Apocrypha [adventure][romance][rpg][musical]

#2 Post by Zelan »

1. The setting of this game is definitely not something you see everyday in a visual novel. Is the ancient setting off-putting, or is it fresh and full of possibility?

It's very cool. I like historical stuff (accurate or not).

2. What characters do you want to see next: the Royals, or the Ladies?

Any, I guess. I won't be picky, I'm loving this art style.

3. Favorite character so far, whether because of backstory or summa that radical design.

Jai seems like a cool dude, and I like the clashy/matchy colors of his outfit.

4. Any features you're hoping to see?

Nothing more than what you've already outlined.

Overall, this looks pretty nice and I'm looking forward to the musical numbers. ^_^ That's certainly not something you see everyday.

SupersizeMyHeart
Veteran

#3 Post by SupersizeMyHeart »

Zelan wrote:1. The setting of this game is definitely not something you see everyday in a visual novel. Is the ancient setting off-putting, or is it fresh and full of possibility?

It's very cool. I like historical stuff (accurate or not).

2. What characters do you want to see next: the Royals, or the Ladies?

Any, I guess. I won't be picky, I'm loving this art style...

...Overall, this looks pretty nice and I'm looking forward to the musical numbers. ^_^
Thanks so much for the feedback! There's definitely plenty of historical stuff in here. Although most of the characters are made-up, the setting and trappings are all very real. We're aiming for stuff to be fun, but I think people will also learn a little about ancient history along the way. Also, I love the art, too - Flora is just fantastic, and loads of fun to work with. We're aiming for a pseudo-Disney sort of style.

Added three more characters to the lineup!
Last edited by SupersizeMyHeart on Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hey, I'm making a game about kissing cute fast food mascots! Check it out here right here.

Hazel
Regular
Projects: Wreath of Roses, BookSLEEPer, Girlfriend Material
Tumblr: zincalloygames
itch: zincalloy

#4 Post by Hazel »

I really need to take a much closer look at the character profiles and so on, but at a cursory look, I can tell you right away I find this story very intriguing. Ancient settings are delightful and I love them. I've always found them interesting in books and such and I would love to see more games with settings around this time period. The idea of a musical is also especially intriguing. I'll post more detailed feedback when I have a little extra time to go through it more carefully.
Image Image

BookSLEEPer (writer) * Girlfriend Material (writer/programmer)

SupersizeMyHeart
Veteran

#5 Post by SupersizeMyHeart »

AWWWW HECK YEHHH.

Just finished the last of the sprites and alternate outfits, and have the first batch of CGs in the work. Updated the main article!

(hey. hey. hey. Also, I, like, simplified the character list, since, like, it was way too big. Had to cut off a few characters)
Hey, I'm making a game about kissing cute fast food mascots! Check it out here right here.

parttimestorier
Veteran
Completed: No Other Medicine, Well Met By Moonlight, RE:BURN, The Light at the End of the Ocean, Take A Hike!, Wizard School Woes
Projects: Seeds of Dreams
itch: janetitor

Re: Apocrypha [Comedy][Adventure][Romance]

#6 Post by parttimestorier »

1. The setting sounds pretty "dope dope artichoke" to me, haha. I don't think I've ever read a VN set in the Middle East, let alone the ancient Middle East, and I'm always looking for more unique stuff to read!

2. I really like the look of the art! Nureen looks especially pretty, and I think that having the heir to a throne as a character always opens the door for interesting plotlines and character development. I would also love to know more about those cool-looking adversaries.

3. In terms of features, if there's going to be romance then I always appreciate VNs that have both male and female potential love interests! Also, are you planning to have things like stats or "affection meters" be visibly altered by your dialogue choices? I think this sounds like a story for which that might work well from what you said in the gameplay section, although it's not something I really feel all that strongly about leaving out either.

4. I do like to support crowdfunding campaigns for VNs when I can afford it, so if the campaign looks cool and affordable then sure!

Other questions: can you reveal any more detail about the inclusion of sing-alongs (which sounds awesome)? And are you going for being particularly historically accurate, or will there be comedic anachronisms (also not something I feel strongly about, just wondering)?

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by gekiganwing »

PassiveChicken wrote:Like in many role playing games, you navigate conversations through dialogue choices, which often have repercussions. The way you speak affects how individuals think of you, and therefore how they act toward you. Each character you meet has a personal relationship with you that you can either cultivate, or absolutely tank.
In my opinion, it would be interesting if the protagonist will have both allies and enemies. I don't think they can trust everyone, much less befriend everyone. Will the relationships between the protagonist and NPCs be somewhere between 100% trust and 100% enmity?
PassiveChicken wrote:Through your actions and dialogue choices, choose between five fully fleshed out ladies, each with their own unique story arcs. Navigate an even more dangerous mine field than politics or war - love!
What will make the heroines seem like plausible, complex characters? Who are the women when they're around their friends and family? Who are they when they're alone?
PassiveChicken wrote:Obligatory Musical Numbers: 35%
If you want to include characters breaking into song, that's fine. Just as long as it fits your story, and doesn't seem out of place.
PassiveChicken wrote:What features do you want to see?
Only include as much content as you need. Focus on finishing the essential parts of your story.

pyopyon
Veteran
Completed: https://chouette.itch.io/
Projects: Ocean Pearls, Catching the Fox [NaNo16], Singles
Organization: Jellyfish Parade
Tumblr: jelpiparade
Soundcloud: pyopyon
itch: chouette

#8 Post by pyopyon »

1. Is the ancient setting of the game off-putting, or is it dope-dope artichoke?

Not as much as you'd think! I actually was not really interested in historical games until I played a fantastic one set in the regency era. Since then, I've been much more open so I'd totally be down for this.

2. Any thoughts on the characters revealed? Whether design-wise or conceptual.

A good sprinkling of body types! I'm with it! Faraq also peaked my interest because of a game I had in development once upon a time wherein a character's name was also Faraq (but she wasn't human, being made of light, and also a woman. SO completely related but still peaked my interest!)

Also, Jai is a Hot.

3. What features do you want to see?

A dictionary, please and thanks! I'd like to be able to keep track of terms that are unique just in case I need to put it down and then come back later.

4. I hate this question, but I'll put it out there. Is this a project you'd be down to support?

Actually, yes. I only (ONLY) and exclusively support projects that have at least ONE brown person in it, no matter how interesting the premise. (Sounds simple, but you'd be surprised how many 40 character Western games there are that have zero in them and so completely snubbed by me, lol. I'm not saying people have to bow to my whims and include brown people, but if they want my money, then....... look. Just like they have a right to not vary up the palette, I have a right to spend my funds where I wish.)

All that to say yeah, I'd totally drop some dollaz for this game.
Image ImageImage

WiP: Image

✿ Writer for Trade/Commission ✿

SupersizeMyHeart
Veteran

#9 Post by SupersizeMyHeart »

Thanks for the in depth responses everybody!

gekiganwing: There are definitely adversaries and friends both. Not everyone is trustworthy, and more than a few have secrets of their own. Many characters/factions in the game begin in opposition to you, and are automatically hostile. Others will become enemies later on as you make decisions that change their opinions of you, and sometimes friendship with one character makes another see you as an enemy. Additionally, there are levels of friendship and enmity, so it's not 100% one way or 100% the other way. As for the songs, I think they fit with the tone we're going for. I wanted to make sure nothing in the game was shoehorned in, so a lot of effort has put in there to keep it from being jarring or cringy.

parttimestorier: Thanks for all the positive feedback! I'll release more info on the characters as time goes on, but for now I'll say that the guy on the left (Sar) and girl on the right (Zahrah) are members of the Al-Shafarat, bandits and thieves that just might cause you some trouble. Daiyu is the woman in the middle -- just a couple of the less than friendly characters you'll encounter. Also, I'm keeping it surprisingly historically accurate. The biggest departure is in the dialogue, which is all very loose and modern. And I'm hoping to have visible, checkable affection meters, but I haven't made them yet.

pyopyon: Awesome! I was worried the setting might push people away. And I'll definitely look into that dictionary. We don't infodump during the story, but the lore builds up pretty quick, especially the more characters you meet and the real-world history they reference. Totally agree with the race thing, too! There's so much unexplored possibilities for characters with different ethnicities. I try and have diversity be a big part of all my stories. Everyone is either Middle Eastern (Persian, Median, Babylonian, Arabian, Jewish), Indian, African or Asian.

Also, you're right about Jai. Dude's one handsome devil.
Last edited by SupersizeMyHeart on Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

#10 Post by Mammon »

1. Is the ancient setting of the game off-putting, or is it dope-dope artichoke?
It's interesting. It's true that there aren't many Arabian-style games around this place (the only other one in WiP right now is completely different in tone and era.) or in media to begin with. The only reason we've got Alladin is because it was from before the Bush administration. So yes, I'm interesting in something that's not another highschool romcom.

2. Any thoughts on the characters revealed? Whether design-wise or conceptual.
Jai is dressed assassin creed style. A bit off-putting to me unless intentional. Otherwise... Wow. So many characters and I've seen mention of multiple outfits. Each of these characters looks very distinct and impressive, and I like the little detail that the more commoner the people are, the more common they look. (Or rather, the more outlandish, the more distinct.)

3. What features do you want to see?
Most preferred feature would be the release of course ;) Other than that I can't see anything that would be neccesary.

4. I hate this question, but I'll put it out there. Is this a project you'd be down to support?
Always a tough question for me because I haven't figured out how to put money from my bank to an internet spending account yet, and I feel that once I do... I'm never sure, I'm one cheapskate bastard, do not underestimate that. Although I do think it's impressive how you appear to be planning original content for everything, even the background music won't be Creative Commons?
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

SupersizeMyHeart
Veteran

#11 Post by SupersizeMyHeart »

Mammon wrote:I'm interesting in something that's not another highschool romcom.
In that case, I got you covered!
Mammon wrote:Jai is dressed assassin creed style.
Yeeeeaaahhh, that's been a subject of contention for me. On one hand, it was intentional - as a character, Jai is a traveling bard and poet, and I thought someone like that should have a distinctive outfit, something that stands out from the rest of the cast. But it's a stark contrast to literally every other character, that wears period-accurate clothing. I dunno -- I'm considering changing his outfit.
Mammon wrote:I do think it's impressive how you appear to be planning original content for everything, even the background music won't be Creative Commons?
Yup, yup! Everything is from scratch - the sprites (finished), the CGs (in progress), the backgrounds (not started). I've got composers lined up to create original background music, and the musical numbers are original as well. If anything, we've got scope.
Last edited by SupersizeMyHeart on Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SupersizeMyHeart
Veteran

#12 Post by SupersizeMyHeart »

And our GUI is now in production! Glad to welcome WinterMochie to the team! (Check her out at right over here! )

Shadilyn
Regular

Re: Apocrypha [Dramedy][Adventure] (New Art!)

#13 Post by Shadilyn »

Obligatory Musical Numbers:
That's AWESOME. XD

SupersizeMyHeart
Veteran

Re: Apocrypha [Dramedy][Adventure] (New Art!)

#14 Post by SupersizeMyHeart »

Shadilyn wrote:
Obligatory Musical Numbers:
That's AWESOME. XD
You're awesome, lol.

Added some new artwork. That's probably as much as I'll show until the demo drops, which I'm aiming for toward the end of next month. With that up, I'm hoping to jump-start a Kickstarter campaign to finish the rest. Or should I say, kick-start a Kickstarter campaign? Hahahaha...

No? Nobody? Come on, that was-- Not even a...nope. Not funny. Got it.

WinterMochie
Regular

#15 Post by WinterMochie »

PassiveChicken wrote:And our GUI is now in production! Glad to welcome WinterMochie to the team! (Check her out at right over here! )
Thanks for the shoutout! <3 Soooo excited to be working with you guys! Love the unique vibes of your game ~~ it's gonna be awesome ~~