The Crown of Leaves [fantasy, mystic]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
thebrokenhorn
Projects: The Crown of Leaves
Tumblr: lingrimmart
itch: thebrokenhorn

The Crown of Leaves [fantasy, mystic]

#1 Post by thebrokenhorn »

The intro of the game

Demo is available on:
STEAM | ITCH.IO

About this game
The Crown of Leaves is a visual, non-linear fantasy novel about mysticism, riddles, constellations, anthro beings, beasts, and ghosts!
Is it a otome/dating sim? No. Sorry to say but it is not. This is a game oriented around a fantasy storyline and it will be focusing on a plot as it slowly unravels around the actions chosen by the player.
Plot
Roui, a resilient city dandy, a decipherer, a half-educated jeweler and the author of scientific magic articles, met with a Big Failure, AND has to return to his gypsy homeland, Latori. Ciphers aren't a thing here, and local shoddy mystical beliefs are really irritating and dejecting to Roui. He dreams to come back to his old life... But how can it be possible if you have no money? In search of quick earnings, Roui's picking up his old jewelry tools once more and finds the customer himself. The customer encharges Roui with a task to make a bracelet from a special wood for his bride inside of a month. But, as soon as Roui get to work, strange and unpleasant things start to appear all of sudden. Which, due to the superstition of the local people, became much more horrific and absurd than they actually are. Roui isn't meant to finish the work on the bracelet... because it was stolen! And the unexpected helper says that the bracelet was taken by the legendary Latorian spirit - the Mad Rook. Is the Rook real or this is just her sick imagination? Roui has no time to figure out the details - he has to believe the helper and start looking for the bracelet as soon as possible, incidentally deciphering the mysterious cryptograms he'll be facing on his way.
Will Roui succeed and get the bracelet back, and what's waiting for him at the end of his long and full of mystical riddles journey?
Setting
Where is it set? The setting is a fictional world called Shang-La, a world of mixed cultures and eras, and a home of various strange creatures. This is a place of old magic and new ideas, where science works together with mysticism. You can find glasses and phones, electricity and radio here, but no guns or television. The inhabitants of this world still fight with swords. The continent they live in is surrounded by the boundless ocean, the Sun and the Moon take turns alternating in the sky, and the stars are made of metal and hiding so much unresolved secrets in them.
Who are the sahash?
Sahash are the second intelligent race in Shang-La, alongside humans. They are divided into five nations, differing from each other by their physicality and the shape of their horns and muzzles. Every nation has its own unique traditions and culture, ranging from habits, religion, law, and even tastes in fashion and food.
Despite the complicated relationships between these ethnic groups of sahash, as a whole they get along with humankind, and even try to emulate them in spite of their more animalistic nature.
Key features
Playing our game, you will be able too:
✦ Communicate with multiple characters, forge friendships, and make bitter enemies. Your words carry meaning and every piece of dialogue you speak will affect the story. Choose your words carefully. As the saying goes, "A word once spoken is past recalling".
✦ Decode ciphers!
✦ Collect strange items and use them to get yourself out of tight situations. Those items could be given as gifts for the characters you like, or used in magical stuff!
✦ Explore the world of Shang-La and meet unusual creatures, animals, spirits, and ghosts.
✦ Choose who you wish to become - the hero or the villain. But be prepared for the consequences, as neither choice comes without them.

In our game you will find:
✦ A mix of a visual novel and a point-and-click genre!
✦ Animated sprites
✦ An original, richly-crafted world with intriguing concepts
✦ Atmospheric OST
✦ A few episodes of the game
✦ A few different endings of the each episode
About The Broken Horn team
We are a small team consist of 3 artists from Moscow, Russia that has been crafting our fantasy world of Shang-La for 5 years. The Crown of Leaves is not our first project and we are presently working on a comic book while engaging in smaller works like graphic novels in the interim. The realm of game creation is new for us but we wish to learn more about it and create further projects down the road. This will help us share our ideas with those who take an interest in fantasy and share the same passion for it that we do. We would also like to take the time to recognize the last member of our team, the amazingly talented composer, _Blacksmith_. He is writing the original music and score for our project.

UPD
Now we have one more member in our team - mold.FF, our programmer!
Patreon
You can support us on Patreon, if you like!
Last edited by thebrokenhorn on Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:55 am, edited 4 times in total.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: The Crown of Leaves [fantasy, mystic, detective]

#2 Post by Zelan »

This all looks very cool! ^_^ Voted for you guys on Steam, I look forward to the release.

LeonDaydreamer
Veteran
Projects: A Near Dawn, Put A Sock In It!, Ghosts Are Good Hosts

#3 Post by LeonDaydreamer »

It's a really nice looking game, great job guys! :)
ImageImageImageImage

morinoir
Regular
itch: blackpepper

#4 Post by morinoir »

I actually saw your game while browsing for vn development blog on tumblr =D
I really like the unique-non anime art style you use and would love to dig deeper into the story to find out more about the world's concept. Definitely a 'must-play' for me ^^

IvoryOwl

#5 Post by IvoryOwl »

Hey, I recognize the art style! I've seen it before on DeviantArt but I don't remember the artist's name...

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#6 Post by papillon »

Your twitter handle is typoed in your profile (as I noticed when I tried to go there to retweet game info! :) ) Interesting art style!

thebrokenhorn

Re: The Crown of Leaves [fantasy, mystic]

#7 Post by thebrokenhorn »

Thank you everyone!
We updated the project info. Also you can download the current demo-version om Steam and Itch.io! You will find links under the intro video.

Elmvine
Regular
itch: elmvine

#8 Post by Elmvine »

Ohhh this is some quality work! Downloading the demo. Coming across this has made me very happy!

Elmvine
Regular
itch: elmvine

#9 Post by Elmvine »

Welp, I played the demo today, but I seem to have run into a bug? I tried twice, but the game would not advance past meeting Vander, it would just freeze on a black screen with slight particles, or a half loaded bg. Vander appears on a black screen aswell.

The OS i was using to play is Windows 10, through the steam version.
Update: I think my steam download was corrupted (bad internet), so going to try reinstalling. :(
Nvm! Reinstalled and all was fine! Great game, can't wait to see more of this.

thebrokenhorn

#10 Post by thebrokenhorn »

Elmvine wrote:
Welp, I played the demo today, but I seem to have run into a bug? I tried twice, but the game would not advance past meeting Vander, it would just freeze on a black screen with slight particles, or a half loaded bg. Vander appears on a black screen aswell.

The OS i was using to play is Windows 10, through the steam version.
Update: I think my steam download was corrupted (bad internet), so going to try reinstalling. :(
Nvm! Reinstalled and all was fine! Great game, can't wait to see more of this.
Thank you! Glad you like the demo and glad there is no troubles with running game anymore.