Let's MEAT Adam [BxB, Bara] - OLD thread/FullGame OUT!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
illuminate001
Veteran
Completed: DSGR, Let's MEAT Adam, Sexy Litter, Bara Boarders
Projects: Secret Project
Organization: Soulsoft Electronic Arts
Tumblr: soulsoftea
itch: soulsoftea

Let's MEAT Adam [BxB, Bara] - OLD thread/FullGame OUT!

#1 Post by illuminate001 »

We're back with another Summer Visual Novel! (Actually, LMA is anything but summery) But seriously, this May.1st 2017 I'm happy to announce that the full version of "Let's MEAT Adam" is out and available for purchase on the Soulsoft Electronic Arts Itch page for $7! Yay for releases!

Thank you to all our supporters who have not only given encouragement but also helped spread the word and provided invaluable feedback. It means the world to me. I realize that this game may be polarizing but I hope you enjoy the passion and craft that went into making it a reality. Once again, thank you!
Thank you all for your comments and encouragement! I'm happy to announce that the "Let's MEAT Adam" Demo is now available on my itch.io page. Please if you'd like to continue discussing the game use the most current thread which can be found here:
MOST RECENT LMA THREAD:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=43816
FULL GAME + DEMO ARE OUT NOW!:
https://soulsoftea.itch.io/lets-meat-adam
COMMENTS/QUESTIONS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANK YOU! :oops:
Last edited by illuminate001 on Mon May 01, 2017 6:43 pm, edited 6 times in total.
ImageImage
ImageImage

CosmicFan

Re: Let's MEAT Adam [BxB, Bara, Murder Mystery, Thriller] W.

#2 Post by CosmicFan »

1. Playability/Interest: 1st impressions of LMA? What kind of experience do you think this game will be?

My first thought was : Wow, this is a 180 degree turn from Dream Savior Gakuen.
My second thought was: Come through, gay SAW.

2. Writing/Story: What stereotypes, clichés or tropes do you hope will be avoided or minimized in a story/genre such as this?

I really hate when a romance option is violent towards the PC early on. I don't mean rude/cold/dismissive, I mean real violent. Like Mink in Dramatical Murder, who nearly rapes the main character in the beginning of the game. I never forgive them, even if they change.

3. Predictability: Where do you think this story is going?

If I had to guess, one or more of the nine guys is in cahoots with the people behind the death game. Perhaps even Adam himself.
I'm also guessing we'll learn the secret reason why Adam's life has been so peachy thus far, that Adam himself is unaware of.

Now making crazy assumptions based on the title alone I expect the story to have something to do with cannibalism or body hopping. Or perhaps the pun in the title refers to Adam's penis and I'm overthinking everything.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4. Playability/Interest: Does the explicit sexual content turn you off from experiencing this VN?

No, it turns me on. That's always a plus.

It's none of my business, and I'll understand if you tell me to sod off, but by looking at topics number 3 and 4 it seems to me like you are a little too focused on ''surprising people'' with the game and it ''being original'', and I don't think that's the way to go.
I'm afraid that in an attempt to make the game fresh after receiving feedback, you'd change parts of the game that work/that you like just to please others, and in the end the game won't even resemble the thing you wanted to create in the beginning. I've seen it happen before with other developers.

Tropes are not cliches, they're not bad things. They are like the LEGO bricks you use to build your story. You can't create a story without tropes, because they are what the story is made of. Someone will always be able to guess your story, or be sick one aspect of it because they've seen it a million times elsewhere. I really don't think you should be worried about this.
Last edited by CosmicFan on Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

illuminate001
Veteran

#3 Post by illuminate001 »

My first thought was : Wow, this is a 180 degree turn from Dream Savior Gakuen.
Yeahhhh...for those of you who loved DSG and think LMA will be anything like it, I have to say this is a pretty big departure from DSG. It's not light-hearted, it's subversive, it's alot more mature. However I think the story is just as strong in it's own way, it is it's own entity. However I hope people will enjoy it as much as DSG but in a different way. :)
It's none of my business, and I'll understand if you tell me to sod off, but by looking at topics number 3 and 4 it seems to me like you are a little too focused on ''surprising people'' with the game and it ''being original'', and I don't think that's the way to go.
I'm afraid that in an attempt to make the game fresh after receiving feedback, you'd change parts of the game that work/that you like just to please others, and in the end the game won't even resemble the thing you wanted to create in the beginning. I've seen it happen before with other developers.

Tropes are not cliches, they're not bad things. They are like the LEGO bricks you use to build your story. You can't create a story without tropes, because they are what the story is made of. Someone will always be able to guess your story, or be sick one aspect of it because they've seen it a million times elsewhere. I really don't think you should be worried about this.
@CosmicFan Aw I would never tell you to Sod-off! lol. Infact I am a tad, "worried" is too strong a word; curious maybe, about if people will find it too predictable and not fresh enough. However I totally see your point. Most things are derivative anythow but luckily I'm not afraid to let my influences show. :P

In all honesty I'm wayyy too far into dev to be able to change up things that involve the story or it's outcome. But I'm happy with it, and want to tell this story, and will definitely create what I want from the heart and hopefully that resonates. ^_^
ImageImage
ImageImage

SexBomb
Regular
Completed: Up All Night, Reaper's Rite, Nameless
Projects: Up All Night 2
Organization: Fiendish Fiction
Tumblr: sexviolenceandvideogames
Deviantart: cooldrinkofwater
itch: fiendishfiction

#4 Post by SexBomb »

YES, YES, YES!!! Finally, a a game that looks like it will satisfy my lust for both sexy bara BL and bloody murder mysteries.

1. Playability/Interest: 1st impressions of LMA? What kind of experience do you think this game will be?
Definitely on my play-list! It seems to have everything I'm interested in, and more. A unique setup, an interesting story, and gorgeous art. Can't wait!

2. Writing/Story: What stereotypes, clichés or tropes do you hope will be avoided or minimized in a story/genre such as this?

In a cast such as this with a slew of handsome boy-toys, it seems like Lucky is the odd one out. I would be thrilled if he didn't get the axe (too early, at least) seeing as he kinda fits the stereotype for first to die based on his appearance and personality. I would love to see this subverted.

No clue, to be honest! That's part of what has my attention! Obviously some people will die, some people will live, some people will be killers, and some people victim. Aside from that, the cast just seems so unique I can't really place who it might boil down to... at least not yet.

4. Playability/Interest: Does the explicit sexual content turn you off from experiencing this VN?
Not at all. You definitely shouldn't take it too far or you'll scare off other potential players who are mostly in it for the murder mystery aspect, but it seems appropriate and interesting in the setting. Plus it's part of what attracted me to the project!

Best of luck... I can't wait to see how this unfolds, and hopefully I'll get to play it!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#5 Post by Zelan »

1. Playability/Interest: 1st impressions of LMA? What kind of experience do you think this game will be?: The art's nice, and it seems like an interesting murder mystery. I've seen a lot more murder mystery VNs popping up around here recently, and it's getting my pretty excited (they all seem cool and unique even though they're of the same genre).

2. Writing/Story: What stereotypes, clichés or tropes do you hope will be avoided or minimized in a story/genre such as this?: There's nothing in particular that I can think of, especially since the dating sim elements are going to be very light.

3. Predictability: Where do you think this story is going?: Honestly, I'm not sure. Although I'm interested in murder mysteries, I haven't actually read all that many. Of the ones I have read, I've never been able to guess the killer. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ So if anyone'll be surprised at every turn, it'll probably be me.

4. Playability/Interest: Does the explicit sexual content turn you off from experiencing this VN?: Yes. It's just not my thing. However, if you were able to integrate something like a mature filter, I'd be much more willing to play the game; either something that skips sex scenes entirely or censors CG images would be cool with me. Alternatively, you could make a choice that might lead to sex very, VERY clear so that the content can easily be avoided if the player so chooses. (If you go with this one, it'd be really nice if those sex scenes weren't absolutely necessary for any of the endings.)

MilanaWalters
Regular

#6 Post by MilanaWalters »

The art is nice but some characters look a bit too weird for me:P f.e. Vince's hair, Kang's creepiness and Bart's and Lars's overmuscled forms:( In fact MC and Pierce seem to be the only ones attractive enough for me lol

Hmmm, i hope there wont be too much sex in this game, i understand its bara game and they tend to be oversexualized. I dont mind sex in the VNs per se but if it overwhelms the plot, it gets too much.

No idea. I dont like guessing any way:P

Already answered:)

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: a2 ~a due~
Projects: AXIOM.01, The Pirate Mermaid
Organization: Variable X, Navigame
Tumblr: navigame-media
itch: navigame

#7 Post by Arowana »

I'm so excited for this game!

I'm a fan of both death game plots and BxB, so this is couldn't align with my interests more perfectly. The art is also really pretty (and the guys are pretty hot, haha). I especially like the coloring on the sprites and BGs.

Honestly, I think using any tropes is fine as long as they're well-executed. If I had to pick some pet peeves, I guess I don't like when the culprit's motivation is handwaved at the end or turns out to be very silly/petty. I also think it's unfair when the solution to the murder is something supernatural or pseudoscientific that the reader would never be able to guess.

As per the genre, I expect lots of blood, betrayal, and heart-wrenching decisions. :twisted: Since Adam is so prominent in the intro and title, I'm gonna guess he's either the secret mastermind behind the game or the main target of the secret mastermind. MEAT also makes me think of cannibals (side-eyeing that butcher so hard, haha).

Ultimately though, I don't think it really matters if the story is predictable or not. I care more about whether the characters and story are compelling and engaging than about how original or subversive they are. :)

Not at all. :lol: But perhaps you could add an in-game content filter for people who want to avoid it?
Complete: a2 ~a due~ (music, language, love)
In progress: The Pirate Mermaid (fairytale otome)
On hold: AXIOM.01 (girl detective game)

illuminate001
Veteran

#8 Post by illuminate001 »

@SexBomb - YASSSS! Haha I'm glad you're hyped for the project. I am too! I can't wait to push this one out and hopefully have a demo out somewhere around next month. About Lucky, I really like him as a character and I know what you mean about him seeming the odd-one out, but I think he's adorable, love his fashion style, and I hope players will find him endearing despite the temptations of the other attractive options. ;) Unfortunately I can't give away if Lucky makes it or not.

@Zelan - I love the murder mystery genre and VN's are soo the perfect medium to tell them. Watching a movie is fun too, but you don't get to play detective and make the accusations yourself.

@MilanaWalters - Thanks for your honest opinions! Heh I realize some of the characters won't be the types that everyone goes for, but I think people will find something in at least a few they are drawn to. Yeah Kang looks pretty malevolent. 8) Actually my goal is to make sure there is a neverending feeling of dread throughout the entire story, from the circumstances/hard choices, but mainly from the cast themselves. Each character is ferocious in their own way, and I hope that the player is never sure of who is trustworthy or not.

@Arowana - Hey it's my friend Arowana! :D Aw I'm glad you like the sprites! I tried to go for a more painted look then cell-shaded like in DSG. Unfortunately BG's are not my strength so I didn't render them painterly but I think they fit. Don't worry the reasoning for the events in LMA aren't trivial and isn't too grandiose that it'd be insane to believe or figure out. Haha...yes Bart is a butcher. However each character has something about them that each player can interpret as a reason for their guilt as the story progresses. The paranoia is REAL. lol

Alright! Thanks for all the helpful comments so far! I love them! Please keep them coming. So far, the consensus is that in terms of tropes and predictability: it isn't a bad thing that some story elements aren't completely new (what IS entirely original nowadays anyways and can't be drawn a parallel to?!). I think Arowana put it best and summed up my hopes when she said:
Ultimately though, I don't think it really matters if the story is predictable or not. I care more about whether the characters and story are compelling and engaging than about how original or subversive they are. :)
ImageImage
ImageImage

illuminate001
Veteran

#9 Post by illuminate001 »

Now about the seeming consensus on Sexual Content. Ok so the game has it, however there's only 2 instances I can think of where the player stumbles onto it (of not their own free choice) and it definitely ISN'T the focus of LMA. The focus is about survival, choices that test your morality, and your capability to remain human. Sex in LMA is something you have to directly pursue as a goal or you won't run into it at all really. It's not sprinkled around gratuitously like in alot of hyper-sexualized Bara VN's.

About the Sexual Content filter: I had considered it seriously before dev. Uh admittedly I'm not the best scripter :cry: ...so I'd have to do some hard research on how to achieve it. A filter in the Options menu would be best but I have NO clue how to do that. I'm guessing for my ability it'd be easier for me to pull off if it was a menu option right at the start of the VN itself, after a player hits START.

However my friend brought up a good point: He said something like "Well, I don't think you need a content filter. The people who will truly love and appreciate your game will play it for what it is. Eroge and all! You know who your audience is, why do you need to change or water down your vision?". I don't agree that adding a Content Filter would "change/water down" my vision...but I do like the idea that my game is-what-it-is. ^_^ . Play it, enjoy as you will, but if you don't want to see sex I guess don't play it unfortunately. :(

In my mind I hope people will do as I do when I watch a movie and it has a SCARY ass scene or something I find distasteful or don't wanna see and just cover my eyes. I wait for it to go away, and then enjoy the rest of the movie. hehe
ImageImage
ImageImage

Dovahkitteh
Veteran
Completed: YDD, RE, CoB, Req
Projects: Red Embrace: Hollywood, The Black Hand
Organization: Argent Games
Tumblr: argentgames
itch: argent-games

#10 Post by Dovahkitteh »

Have to say, not usually super into bara, but your characters really catch my interest! :D Were you inspired by Hotline Miami, per chance? Both the designs and the color schemes/music remind me a lot of those games. Definitely not a bad thing, since it's an awesome style, just noticed the similarities.

Writer, Programmer, Designer

Programming/Design Commissions

Image Image

illuminate001
Veteran

#11 Post by illuminate001 »

Dovahkitteh wrote:Have to say, not usually super into bara, but your characters really catch my interest! :D Were you inspired by Hotline Miami, per chance? Both the designs and the color schemes/music remind me a lot of those games. Definitely not a bad thing, since it's an awesome style, just noticed the similarities.
Hey Dovah,

Glad LMA grabbed your attention, especially if it's cause of the cast! I'm also really curious about your VN "Chess Of Blades". It seems we both have a BxB murder mystery on our hands but with completely different settings and wonderful things to offer :D I'm curious what about them, or which cast member, caught your attention and why.

Haha so I totally see what you mean about the HotLine Miami thing. I've never played it but I'm familiar with the aesthetic/style of that game. However it wasn't a direct influence.

I was trying to find music that suits the villain (In a game like this I thought since the villain is so primary that alot of the choices I make involving it would set the tone for the game itself) and I found a genre called "Darksynth" which is a subset of music I like called NewWave Retro. The trend seems to be very 80's influenced and thats where that HOTPINK color scheme came from. I wanted also to modernize and but also a punk edge to it. (hence the logo)

My influences for LMA are more like:
- 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 doors
- The Cabin In The Woods
- And Then There Were None
- Cube

And surprisingly NOT "Saw" lol.
Last edited by illuminate001 on Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#12 Post by Zelan »

illuminate001 wrote:In my mind I hope people will do as I do when I watch a movie and it has a SCARY ass scene or something I find distasteful or don't wanna see and just cover my eyes. I wait for it to go away, and then enjoy the rest of the movie. hehe
Makes sense, but in a visual novel where you have to click to advance it doesn't quite work that way. :P I'd have to have my eyes at least partially open to see when the scene ended.

In the end, what you do is ultimately your choice. And I can understand the coding being difficult, as I've only just skimmed the surface of Ren'Py scripting and barely understand it. However, I would strongly suggest trying to implement a mature filter; the way I see it, all it can do is open your game to a wider audience (namely, people who are interested in the game but have an aversion to sexual content). Sure, there may be some people willing to power through it, but it definitely won't be everyone.

CosmicFan

#13 Post by CosmicFan »

illuminate001 wrote:Play it, enjoy as you will, but if you don't want to see sex I guess don't play it.
I agree, I think this is the best mindset.

Also, I haven't read it anywhere and was wondering: is the game commercial? I'm assuming it is.

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: a2 ~a due~
Projects: AXIOM.01, The Pirate Mermaid
Organization: Variable X, Navigame
Tumblr: navigame-media
itch: navigame

#14 Post by Arowana »

illuminate001 wrote:About the Sexual Content filter: I had considered it seriously before dev. Uh admittedly I'm not the best scripter :cry: ...so I'd have to do some hard research on how to achieve it. A filter in the Options menu would be best but I have NO clue how to do that. I'm guessing for my ability it'd be easier for me to pull off if it was a menu option right at the start of the VN itself, after a player hits START.
Image censors are pretty simple with ConditionSwitch (I can help you with the code if you want), and you can switch scenes as needed with a variable. Unless you're thinking of something more complex, I don't think it'd be that hard to implement. :)
illuminate001 wrote:However my friend brought up a good point: He said something like "Well, I don't think you need a content filter. The people who will truly love and appreciate your game will play it for what it is. Eroge and all! You know who your audience is, why do you need to change or water down your vision?". I don't agree that adding a Content Filter would "change/water down" my vision...but I do like the idea that my game is-what-it-is. ^_^ . Play it, enjoy as you will, but if you don't want to see sex I guess don't play it unfortunately. :(
Hmm, I might agree with your friend if this were an eroge where the sex scenes are the main content. But from your description, it sounds like the focus is on the mystery and survival aspects, not the sex so much? If that's the case, I don't think you'd lose much by adding a censor option. A good mystery would be strong enough to stand on its own without sex, right? (unless it's actually related to the plot...?)

I'm also not sure if I'd consider adding a censor option to be "watering down" in general. It's not like you're forcing players to use the censor, right? Your original target audience, which likes both mysteries and sex, can just leave the censor off, so they aren't losing any of your original vision. You would just gain more new players, because mystery fans who avoid sexually explicit content would be able to play and appreciate your game for just the mystery part. ;)
Complete: a2 ~a due~ (music, language, love)
In progress: The Pirate Mermaid (fairytale otome)
On hold: AXIOM.01 (girl detective game)

illuminate001
Veteran

#15 Post by illuminate001 »

@CosmicFan
Also, I haven't read it anywhere and was wondering: is the game commercial? I'm assuming it is.
Good question. I haven't quite made up my mind yet. I like the idea of it being free cause more ppl get to access my proj and experience the story I'd like to tell. Which to me is the main goal and what makes me happy. I'm not concerned about $$$.

However, it would be nice to kinda recoup some of the $$$ I spent on the games original tracks. Sure it was only 2 tracks but it was pricey ish, but I felt that LMA deserved at least 2 tracks that really spoke to what the game is and defined it without compromise. I love it that much :oops:. That said if it does go commercial it won't be expensive as that's not my focus. Another reason for it to be commercial is the adult content but I dunno if that's a standard/must so I'll have to research that.

@Zelan I definitely see what you mean, I'm thinking what I'll do is I'll gage the reaction once I release the demo which will be censored anyways. If alot of ppl are put off by the adult content, but love the game and wish they could proceed without the eroge and voice themselves to me then perhaps I can add in the Adult Filter come release.

I'm hoping ppl will play the demo and be so intrigued that they'll want to proceed with the full game despite their aversion to adult content...as naive as that may be. :cry: :shock:

@Arowana Hey thanks for your offer of assistance! Honestly though, and this also kind of addresses Zelan's point...I am heavily leaning towards NO Adult Filter because (slight spoiler):
Sex isn't related to the plot persay in that it doesn't directly affect the storyline...usually (sorry about being vague! lmao), but its a BIG factor in why the characters themselves are where they are that fateful night.
ImageImage
ImageImage