Tailor Tales [GxB] Design clothes & dress-up. Beta 1.4 out! 100k words!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Celianna
Veteran

Re: Tailor Tales [GxB] Design clothes with romance! Beta out

#31 Post by Celianna »

Thanks for playing and the feedback Evy! I will sort out some grammar issues - if anyone else finds anything odd, please do tell!

The grandma scene was indeed added to explain the character change for the MC, still debating whether or not to draw the grandma's sprite.

I'm happy you think the sound bites add to the immersion, I was experimenting with them and really wanted feedback on it. A friend of mine who talks like a condescending prick was just perfect for the job, so I tried it out. I personally feel like it makes Neil more human :)
Everyone experiences chapter 12 differently (for example, someone else thought Neil was doing a quick change of clothes/wigs and was both of them at the same time haha), but I'm glad I had you fooled with the fake Neil. It was my goal to slowly introduce the new sprite of Neil, but have the player think it's someone else entirely. I had hoped you'd think I was too lazy, and not change Neil's pose/hair for the party, so I simply re-used his old sprite for a new character to fool you. Very happy it worked out hehehe.

Seems you had a lot of feelings with chapter 12! It was the first chapter I wrote of Neil, his whole story is based on this basically - and then there's the after math. Chapter 12 is 1/3 of the story, with 32 in total, so you're in for a ride :)

Oh right, what options did you pick in chapter 12? Did you kiss him yes/no, and did you slap him yes/no?
A GxB game about designing your own clothes.

Evy
Regular
Projects: Meet Me At Sea, All That Glitters
Organization: Paper Parrot
Tumblr: clysmian
itch: clysmian

#32 Post by Evy »

I actually took the second options both times in that I let him initiate the kiss and yelled at him. I kinda wanna go back and try all the other options I didn't pick!

Celianna
Veteran

#33 Post by Celianna »

Go ahead, replay it, you can change the chapter order by clicking on the wheel icon, and you can skip directly to chapter 12.
I recommend kissing him first, just to see his adorable reaction, now knowing it's Neil.

CatyCats
Regular

#34 Post by CatyCats »

I think I've seen this game a long time ago, maybe 3 years ago? I'm interested since it looked a bit like harvest moon and I played last year Harvest Moon and World's Dawn. I like it :p

Which character are you most interested in?
I would say James Morgan. Mysterious guy thing :p
- Are you okay with following a single character's story, without the appearance of the other main characters?
Sure! It's different than other "otome" games. :D
- Are you okay with two endings, none of them which are a bad ending?
If you mean a good ending and a bad ending than yeah, I'm okay with that. It wouldn't be realistic if you've made different choices. But it depends on the choices. If I'm kind or sarcastic in nature, I don't want to have a bad ending just because I'm sarcastic D:
- Are you interested in making clothes, or do you just want to read the story?
Normally I would say just the story but after playing harvest moon, I won't mind making clothes :p I played the beta version 2, and it was kind of weird...
to be in the same dress when you go to a masquerade ball, but you have imagination, but still, making clothes is much cooler!
- Is it important the main character looks like you?
I would have said yes when I was younger but now I would dare to have pink hair or pink eyes with a tattoo hehehe.
- Do you think the design of the menu is clean and clear as to what each option means?
If you mean the design of making clothes? Yes !
- Are you okay with having one guy released at a time, instead of waiting a long time for all of them to be finished?
yes! I'm okay with that!
- Do you want to be able to romance your own best friend, Sarah?
I'm not into girls o_o but I am into stories :3 I did romance girls in the dating sims of Pacthesis. :p

Questions for after playing chapters 1 through 12. PLEASE USE SPOILER TAGS FROM NOW ON!!
- Were you initially fooled during chapter 12, thinking it was Neil?
YES! When that girl, cousin, pushed me into that hot guy, I would've guessed it was neil that dyed his hair or maybe his brother... same thing in the game "Halloween Otome" That fooled me as well because of the disguise and stuff, but after I played "Halloween Otome' , I always guess whether it was neil or not. But still surprised me by the fake neil.
- Did it become obvious the black haired man was Neil instead?
It didn't become obvious, I mean, he was NICE and FLIRTY! I hated him (I like him :p ) but I really
- Did you spot the falling star?
Oh My God! I saw it!! Something orange flashing through the windows! I like that :D
- Did you like the CGs and which one was your favourite?
Hmm... the last one :3 blushing face was so cute! And yes I like all of them, it gives really the view of your eyes but not entirely :p Love it all! I was really into the story because of that.
- Did the second CG properly display your selected hair colour and skin tone?
Yes it did :D
- Did your opinion of Neil change? Do you like him more now, or hate him even more?
He was such a jerk! And mean :( I like that :3 I like you could tease him or torture him muhahaha. But after chapter 12, my heart pounded when the stranger was kissing the heroine. It was really well described and not boringly like "he looks close, into your eyes, your heart starts pounding, and you close the gap between you and you kiss a sensational kiss" <= too boring and cliche for me.
But the kiss scene was amazing good! xD I was even disappointed you left us with just 12 chapters instead of 13 in the beta :c What a torture D:
How many chapters are going to be there actually? Already 12... I hope 20... :s Or you could write a book since it's very good
Do you want to know what happens next?
Oh, yes!! Like I said, I was disappointed I couldn't read chapter 13 D: Ooohohoho I'm so excited to see what would happen next! Honestly I didn't like the purple hair at first, later on I love it because he was a jerk with sweet sides and his eyes is beautiful (gold eyes are always beautiful). But with black hair? I like it!
Lol floating smiley's in a white box.
Is it normal you can't save in the beta?

Celianna
Veteran

#35 Post by Celianna »

CatyCats wrote: If you mean a good ending and a bad ending than yeah, I'm okay with that. It wouldn't be realistic if you've made different choices. But it depends on the choices. If I'm kind or sarcastic in nature, I don't want to have a bad ending just because I'm sarcastic D:
It's okay, there are no bad endings here, you can be as snarky and sarcastic as you'd like to be :)
--YES! When that girl, cousin, pushed me into that hot guy, I would've guessed it was neil that dyed his hair or maybe his brother... same thing in the game "Halloween Otome" That fooled me as well because of the disguise and stuff, but after I played "Halloween Otome' , I always guess whether it was neil or not. But still surprised me by the fake neil.--

Glad to see the fake Neil threw you off! A lot of people experience chapter 12 differently, some people will know straight away, others are fooled completely.

--But the kiss scene was amazing good! xD I was even disappointed you left us with just 12 chapters instead of 13 in the beta :c What a torture D:
How many chapters are going to be there actually? Already 12... I hope 20... :s Or you could write a book since it's very good--

I did say the beta has 12 chapters :) you probably saw chapter 13 at the very end thinking it's there, but it's not, it'll automatically count towards the next chapter. I've written 32 chapters for Neil, the first 12 are 1/3 of the story, his route is about 62k words long. The betas are me releasing the chapters as I finish all the artwork and programming for them. I think perhaps the next beta will have up to chapter 16, but I'm unsure at which point I want to release it. It depends on how much artwork I need to create (backgrounds mostly).

Happy to hear you liked the kissing scene, I hope it was worth all the asshole comments Neil put you through haha.

Oh right, what did you pick at the end? Did you kiss Neil or not, and did you slap him or didn't?
Either way, thank you for trying out the beta, I'm glad you enjoyed it, even though Neil is not the one you were initially interested in!

Sorry about the save bug, I accidentally forgot to enable it when I uploaded it, so you cannot save in this beta.

CatyCats
Regular

#36 Post by CatyCats »

The kiss scene was very good! Heart-thumping even! It felt like a fairytale story. Kissing a masked man is exciting after all!
I picked kiss because who wouldn't? XD But then yeah...my character would feel betrayed so I slapped him. He was an asshole at first and a rich-spoiled brat (who has his sweet spots, like with the mirror crashing scene - I teased him not moving away directly muehehehe xD- ) so I don't think the girl would fall in love with him so soon but after that scene, the story is getting exciting. What would happen? Drama <3
What? The beta is 1/3 of the story? Awesome!! 32 was more than I expected :o I'm so happy :o I definitely want to continue with Neil.
I've seen your game before in 2014! I remembered now since I've looked through your website :D It changed a lot!

Good luck with the progress! Take breaks too!

Celianna
Veteran

#37 Post by Celianna »

Character update! Meet all of the bachelors that are planned for Tailor Tales. Who is your favourite?

Celianna
Veteran

#38 Post by Celianna »

The clothing system is getting there, it's almost finished. Just need to test it thoroughly and tweak some things. TDS did a great job.

Here's a video of it in action:

Evy
Regular

#39 Post by Evy »

Oh man, that looks so good!! I can't wait to try it out. Two things though: Is there an eyedrop/color picker tool for keeping matching colors consistent? And will there be an option to turn down the menu sound effects? It's just a little strident to my ears 8(;;

Celianna
Veteran

#40 Post by Celianna »

Evy wrote:Oh man, that looks so good!! I can't wait to try it out. Two things though: Is there an eyedrop/color picker tool for keeping matching colors consistent? And will there be an option to turn down the menu sound effects? It's just a little strident to my ears 8(;;
The sfx is changed already, no worries haha. It was grating on my ears as well.

For the Details subcategory, you can mix and match your own colours. It will retain the colour settings from the previously selected item, so if you made a red tie, and then pick a new item to be placed, it will retain the previous colour. This way you can keep colours consistent.

For everything else, there's a colour bar to the side, and the one sticking out is the one you have selected, so it should be easy trying to find the same colour for everything else.

I think adding an eyedropper tool right now would mean having to rewrite a lot of code and my programmer would not be happy haha.

Evy
Regular

#41 Post by Evy »

Oh, that works out then! o/ I'm looking forward to future updates~

Celianna
Veteran

#42 Post by Celianna »

Getting very close to the next beta release. We're still working on the tailoring system so that it's user-ready. You should be able to create clothing in your game, change the outfit of your avatar, and even take screenshots of your outfits so you can share it with the rest of us. The game will generate a screenshot for you (with a background of your choosing) like so:

I'm very excited to release this next beta! It should also have a Mac version available.

Celianna
Veteran

#43 Post by Celianna »

I'm hoping to release the beta this weekend, with a surprise for making you wait so long: a new bachelor you can try out!

Image Image

CatyCats
Regular

#44 Post by CatyCats »

I really love the background in this one!
And he's adorable! I like it that they are apart stories and not "same prologue-different guys" like in Voltage. Also I like the choices where you can be honest with yourself and you don't have to choose the oh so sweet and mushycuddlymushy choices -.-
Can't wait for the beta and the tailoring system! I saw some dresses that looked like disney princesses xD

Celianna
Veteran

#45 Post by Celianna »

CatyCats wrote:I really love the background in this one!
And he's adorable! I like it that they are apart stories and not "same prologue-different guys" like in Voltage. Also I like the choices where you can be honest with yourself and you don't have to choose the oh so sweet and mushycuddlymushy choices -.-
Can't wait for the beta and the tailoring system! I saw some dresses that looked like disney princesses xD
Ahaha, well, I've been testing out the system by recreating Disney princess dresses. Unfortunately, Elsa's dress is out of the question because transparency doesn't save correctly when you're designing something. My programmer is working very hard to find a solution for that though, so we can all enjoy that Elsa dress haha.

Voltage and many other otome games have 'common routes' - you basically read the prologue, and after that, the route splits. I've always found this very limiting, so I decided to have a unique story for each guy instead. The downside is that you will not be introduced to any other guys in one route, but ah well, so be it!

Anyways, big news!

Tailor Tales Beta 1.0 has just been released!

You can download it here.

This is a huge update, marking the first official beta release. You can now craft clothing and dress up your avatar! Neil's route now has 18 chapters, and Dimitri's route has 2. Most of the menu works now as well.

Anyways, play it and get back to me with feedback! :)

For those that have played the beta, here are some questions:

1. Are you enjoying Neil's route, do you still like him/hate him?
2. What are your thoughts on Dimitri's first two chapters? Do you want to read more?
3. Who's your favourite guy out of Neil and Dimitri? Or perhaps Alex?
4. What's your favourite CG?
5. What's your favourite chapter or scene?
6. Which part was the most romantic to you?
7. Out of all of the side characters, is there anyone you would want as a date option?
8. Did you at any point get stuck on a loading screen?
9. Were you able to create clothing using the “Design” button?
10. Did you encounter any bugs while designing?
11. Were you able to dress up your avatar using the “Outfit” button?
12. Was everything easy to use, or were the menus too complicated?
13. What did you like more, creating clothes, dressing up the avatar, or reading the story?
14. Most importantly, did you enjoy the game? :D