Golden Hour [GxB][Romance][School Life][Mobile]: KICKSTARTER LAST 3 DAYS!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo.
Message
Author
User avatar
haitori
Regular
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:07 am
Tumblr: matchaastudio
Contact:

Golden Hour [GxB][Romance][School Life][Mobile]: KICKSTARTER LAST 3 DAYS!

#1 Post by haitori » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:19 am

Hello, everyone!
I’m Tori of Matchaa Studio. We’re a four-person team (of friends who live relatively close to one another) who play otome games (yes, we were willing victims of the Cybird and Cheritz games) and VNs (yes, we are also victims of Steam sales). After a couple of conversations about what we liked about VNs and the tropes we’d use if we made our own...we decided to work on a game!

Golden Hour is our second game and first VN, and we’re planning to make it a free-to-play game for iOS and Android. Please cheer us on *u*!!!


Overview


A young girl transfers into a new school just as the term is nearing its close. With summer approaching, she is tasked with photographing the preparations for the school’s year-end tradition: a grand festival of lights. With her camera at the ready, she dives into a tangle of friendships, rivalries, courtships and conflicts—but the longings of troubled young hearts can’t be captured by lenses alone.

Golden Hour is a mobile visual novel/otome game that thrusts players into the exhilaration of high school romance to capture the fleeting, vibrant colors of youth. Set over a period of ten days, the game follows the protagonist’s attempts to find her place in her new city, especially through her encounters with four remarkable young men.

Caught up in the currents of their lives, she comes to learn their dreams, joys, fears, and obstacles. As she peers into their worlds, she finds her own horizons expanding with knowledge of the city they all call home: developed and all but controlled by a family of old wealth, the city is as full of gentle light as it is of cloying shadows.

Golden Hour is a story of romance, and coming of age; of finding solace in others and certainty in oneself; of lovers, friends, rivals, and family.
Characters
Image
Main Character
[Player-named], Second Year
Our story’s protagonist is used to switching homes, owing to her mother’s career, but she’s hoping this move is her last for a while. Thanks to her frequent relocations, she’s used to dealing with a wide variety of people--but isn’t too quick to open up, and would rather view the world through the lenses of her trusty camera.

Image

Nagi
Isanagi Ayara, Second Year
The Ayaras halfway own the city and everyone in it, but Nagi is determined to make his future his own and prove he’s more than just a second son.
Likes: Student council. Literature. Falconry.
Dislikes: His older brother.


Kouya
Kouya Ibara, Second Year
With fiery hair, a cold glare, and countless cuts and bruises as his signature, Kouya has a reputation for delinquency. But if that was all there was to him, how would he still be around?
Likes: Alone time. Milk and juice boxes. The work of his hands.
Dislikes: Nagi Ayara

Image
Rui
Rui Ferreira, Second Year
Although he only recently moved in as well, Rui’s already everyone’s best friend. Best known as the soccer team’s star player, he tries to keep his otaku side hidden deep in the closet.
Likes: Soccer. Video games. His (secret) waifu.
Dislikes: The spotlight.

Sol
Solomon Lee, First Year
Born to pious parents, Sol’s love for the arts, especially music, was nurtured throughout his childhood. Reserved, but not without a rebellious edge.
Likes: Tea. Classic rock. His family.
Dislikes: Hierarchies.

Image
Sensei
What was his name again..?
The Media and Visual Culture teacher seems a bit.. strange. But not in a bad way. The student social networking system was something he developed to ease the kids’ daily school lives.
Likes: The Internet. Tabletop games. Students developing meaningful friendships.
Dislikes: Bullies.

Entire Cast/Rivals/Minor Characters
Image

-

Gameplay

Image
Branching Storyline
The game follows four main storylines that span a few days, each with multiple endings and unlockable CG scenes.

Multiple Narrative Modes


Image

Class Schedule
Gameplay happens in blocks of time: morning classes, morning break, midday classes, lunch, afternoon classes...more classes… you get the picture!
Checking the calendar and attending classes diligently gives the protagonist a better chance at hitting her stride in her new school.
The protagonist can also schedule hangouts with friends or go on dates during the weekends!

Image

Ayara High Student Social Network
A place for Ayara High students to take note of school announcements, post about their day, and advertise their club events. Everyone has an account right from the moment of enrollment.

Stretch Goals
There are a few things that would be nice to have, once we finish with the main storylines!

[*]“Rival Stories”
What happens to everyone else when the protagonist has chosen a character route? We’d like to take a deeper look at the friendships, rivalries, and romances that spring up among the rest of the cast. (ie, if you pick Kouya's route, Nagi will romance someone from the student council throughout the route playthrough!)

[*]That One Teacher...
This is an extra storyline we’d like to develop, focusing on, well, that one teacher.
You know, the one with the weird glasses (someone reeeeally should tell him that Shutter Shades went out of style years ago).

Meet the Team
Matchaa is a combination of the Japanese word for green tea (“matcha”) and the Filipino word for tea (“tsaa”).
Balancing influences of the Southeast and the Far East was one of the design challenges we set for ourselves from the start!
Check out our dev blog: http://www.matchaastudio.tumblr.com
Image
Your Thoughts?
Thank you for taking the time to read through!!! Here are some questions from the team so we can improve as we develop the game:

:arrow: 1. Which of the characters catch your interest? Who would you romance (or, for those uninclined, whose story premise interests you)?
:arrow: 2. How interested would you be in the “rival stories,” particularly the romances of the bachelors you don’t choose in any given playthrough?
(ie if you choose Kouya’s route, Nagi will end up romancing someone from the student council throughout your route playthrough!)
:arrow: 3. Any other questions for the team?
[Update 03/15/17]: Added cast and rivals draft sprites, added wireframe screens
[Update 09/27/17]: New sprites and UI screens! + added link to Golden Hour discord for demo
[Update 05/13/18]: Trailer video up, kickstarter in the works, and demo version 2 release!
Last edited by haitori on Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:10 am, edited 14 times in total.

Zelan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Posts: 1938
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:23 pm
Completed: The Dark
Projects: bookSLEEPer, Stalker & Yandere
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Contact:

Re: Golden Hour [GxB] [Romance] [High School] [Mobile]

#2 Post by Zelan » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:00 am

:arrow: 1. Does the premise pique your interest? Is the setting/setup fresh and engaging as an iteration of the high school romance genre?: Honestly, it really isn't. There's been a looot of high school romance games, especially set in Japan, and the story itself doesn't seem too different. However, I like the gameplay mechanics.
:arrow: 2. Which of the characters catch your interest? Who would you romance (or, for those uninclined, whose story premise interests you)?: ...Uh, I don't think I can pick a favorite, actually. I like all of them. Maybe Solomon?
:arrow: 3. How interested would you be in the “rival stories,” particularly the romances of the bachelors you don’t choose in any given playthrough?: Very, very, VERY interested. It's so common for VNs to forget about the other love interests if the player doesn't get on their route, and even if they are included, we never see another romantic relationship. This is definitely the part that most grabbed my interest in your synopsis. c:

Also, the art is super pretty. ^_^

User avatar
haitori
Regular
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:07 am
Tumblr: matchaastudio
Contact:

Re: Golden Hour [GxB] [Romance] [High School] [Mobile]

#3 Post by haitori » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:07 pm

Zelan wrote: :arrow: 1. Does the premise pique your interest? Is the setting/setup fresh and engaging as an iteration of the high school romance genre?: Honestly, it really isn't. There's been a looot of high school romance games, especially set in Japan, and the story itself doesn't seem too different. However, I like the gameplay mechanics.
:arrow: 2. Which of the characters catch your interest? Who would you romance (or, for those uninclined, whose story premise interests you)?: ...Uh, I don't think I can pick a favorite, actually. I like all of them. Maybe Solomon?
:arrow: 3. How interested would you be in the “rival stories,” particularly the romances of the bachelors you don’t choose in any given playthrough?: Very, very, VERY interested. It's so common for VNs to forget about the other love interests if the player doesn't get on their route, and even if they are included, we never see another romantic relationship. This is definitely the part that most grabbed my interest in your synopsis. c:

Also, the art is super pretty. ^_^
Thank you for the feedback! *u*

Follow up question: Is the gameplay enough incentive for you to give it a try when it comes out, or is the vanilla setting a dealbreaker?
For the setting, we wanted to combine Japan with Manila to set us a bit apart; but we'll consider if we want to stick to its vanilla HS appeal or add something new to the table (ie college? add some magic? set it in space??? XD)!

I'm also super glad you like the idea of rival routes! We wanted to develop the characters outside of their romance-with-MC route (and ship other characters with each other). Stay tuned for the character designs on the "rivals"!

Zelan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Posts: 1938
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:23 pm
Completed: The Dark
Projects: bookSLEEPer, Stalker & Yandere
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Contact:

Re: Golden Hour [GxB] [Romance] [High School] [Mobile]

#4 Post by Zelan » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:25 pm

haitori wrote:Thank you for the feedback! *u*

Follow up question: Is the gameplay enough incentive for you to give it a try when it comes out, or is the vanilla setting a dealbreaker?
For the setting, we wanted to combine Japan with Manila to set us a bit apart; but we'll consider if we want to stick to its vanilla HS appeal or add something new to the table (ie college? add some magic? set it in space??? XD)!

I'm also super glad you like the idea of rival routes! We wanted to develop the characters outside of their romance-with-MC route (and ship other characters with each other). Stay tuned for the character designs on the "rivals"!
Oh, yeah, I'm definitely still interested despite the setting! Sorry, I should have been more clear about that. I wrote that post while on my phone in band class, so I had to make sure I didn't get caught. <: But yeah, all of the other features that you mentioned are plenty to get me interested. Although, if you do end up changing it a bit, I think that having it set in college would probably be the best and simplest route. You won't have to change your plot too much, just age up the characters and redo some small details so that it's college specific.

Oh, gosh, yes! cx I'll be very, very happy if you guys can make "rival" routes that are capable of standing up to the main romances.

User avatar
Limabaen
Regular
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:26 am
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Golden Hour [GxB] [Romance] [High School] [Mobile]

#5 Post by Limabaen » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:59 am

Wow, the art and logo are absolutely gorgeous! Will this be a game where you have to buy the routes separately, or will it have some form of "hourglass" like currency?

Answers to your questions:
1. Does the premise pique your interest? Is the setting/setup fresh and engaging as an iteration of the high school romance genre?
The setting doesn't really pique my interest, but it doesn't really matter as long as the writing/execution is good. And don't worry about making the high school setting seem "fresh". Sure they're overdone, but they don't even make up three quarters of otome games released in English (I've noticed pseudo-fantasy is far more common!)
The only thing I would warn against is setting your otome in Japan, or a fusion of Japan and another country. Apart from the anime art style, is there any reason for you to set it in Japan? Are you Japanese or aiming for a Japanese market? Do you have an intimate understanding of Japanese cultures and schools? Furthermore, while I say high school stories in general aren't as overdone as you might think, Japanese high schools are definitely done to death. And I would caution against fusing two cultures together too; your premise seems built on realistic and touching portrayals of life, so by fusing two cultures you risk cheapening it/adding an unnecessary fantastical element. I would be perfectly fine with a story set solely in Manila, and it would definitely be unique! There aren't many otomes set in the Philippines, so you have a fantastic chance to showcase the culture! Don't waste it :)

2. Which of the characters catch your interest? Who would you romance (or, for those uninclined, whose story premise interests you)?
I like all of them! If I had to choose, I'd say I like Nagi's design the best, but Rui's concept (closet otaku haha) seems like it could be very funny. I feel like you've done a good job making them recognisable archetypes, but prying out details which make them not stereotypical.

3. How interested would you be in the “rival stories,” particularly the romances of the bachelors you don’t choose in any given playthrough?
Super interested! Characters are made 1000% better by having relationships outside of their one with the protagonist. I feel like game studios don't do this enough, and I think it's because sometimes some players get jealous over other girls stealing "their guy"? Just a generalisation.
Anyway, I'd gladly prefer the other non-romanced characters to find happiness of their own than being forever player-sexual and forever alone. Also I hope these "rival" characters make appearances in other main routes because that would be awesome.

User avatar
Celianna
Veteran
Posts: 220
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:03 am
Contact:

Re: Golden Hour [GxB] [Romance] [High School] [Mobile]

#6 Post by Celianna » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:30 am

1. Does the premise pique your interest? Is the setting/setup fresh and engaging as an iteration of the high school romance genre?
No, it's not fresh, nor does it interest me. The only reason why this project peaks my interest, is due to the art. The art is gorgeous, definitely something I'd want to feast my eyes on. That said, high school romances, especially those set in Japan even though you're not from Japan, has been done to death and is nothing new. That doesn't mean one shouldn't make anymore high school romances, it's just that, you don't really set yourself apart from the rest. Myself, I'd prefer a college setting, as the characters easily look old enough to go to college instead of high school. You could then add the photography element to it better, since the MC can follow a photography major at college.

That said, a big turn-off for me is dragging myself through the 'blocks' you mentioned, going to classes etc. I've always hated those parts in VNs.

2. Which of the characters catch your interest? Who would you romance (or, for those uninclined, whose story premise interests you)?
I don't know much about the characters, since you've used only a couple of lines to describe them ... so I'm going to go based on appearance. Nagi and Kouya would be my first playthroughs. But all of them are interesting enough to warrant me playing them.

3. How interested would you be in the “rival stories,” particularly the romances of the bachelors you don’t choose in any given playthrough?
About zero. It's a nice touch, but let's first see if you can finish the main stories first, before you divide your attention to pairing off your other characters.

4. Any other questions for the team?
How do you imagine the gameplay? When you say you go to class, what exactly happens here? Is it a stat raising game? Do we need to answer class questions? Is it just a paragraph of text letting us know we went to class?

Does the story really only span of 10 days? Quite frankly, I hated it in Mystic Messenger, and I would hate it here as well. There's no reason why the romance would only last a couple of days, ending in "I love you forever", which is what irked me with the 10 days in Mystic Messenger. You barely even know each other at that point, and it's not romantic. So I hope you will re-consider it, and perhaps spanning it over a month, or more. I think you're taking a bit too much from Mystic Messenger here - it was popular due to chatroom feature, not because it spans 10 days.
Image
A GxB game about designing your own clothes.

User avatar
haitori
Regular
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:07 am
Tumblr: matchaastudio
Contact:

Re: Golden Hour [GxB] [Romance] [High School] [Mobile]

#7 Post by haitori » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:00 pm

Limabaen wrote:Wow, the art and logo are absolutely gorgeous! Will this be a game where you have to buy the routes separately, or will it have some form of "hourglass" like currency?
Thank you so much (personally means a lot to me as the artist :oops: )!!! Right now we're leaning towards an in-game currency vs having to buy routes :D
Limabaen wrote: Answers to your questions:
1. Does the premise pique your interest? Is the setting/setup fresh and engaging as an iteration of the high school romance genre?
The setting doesn't really pique my interest, but it doesn't really matter as long as the writing/execution is good. And don't worry about making the high school setting seem "fresh". Sure they're overdone, but they don't even make up three quarters of otome games released in English (I've noticed pseudo-fantasy is far more common!)
The only thing I would warn against is setting your otome in Japan, or a fusion of Japan and another country. Apart from the anime art style, is there any reason for you to set it in Japan? Are you Japanese or aiming for a Japanese market? Do you have an intimate understanding of Japanese cultures and schools? Furthermore, while I say high school stories in general aren't as overdone as you might think, Japanese high schools are definitely done to death. And I would caution against fusing two cultures together too; your premise seems built on realistic and touching portrayals of life, so by fusing two cultures you risk cheapening it/adding an unnecessary fantastical element. I would be perfectly fine with a story set solely in Manila, and it would definitely be unique! There aren't many otomes set in the Philippines, so you have a fantastic chance to showcase the culture! Don't waste it :)
We were thinking of creating a fantastical island situated in-between the two countries so that people familiar with the otome genre can easily recognize the Japanese elements, and smoothly introduce several elements of Philippine society. The issue we had with making it set purely in Manila is the lack of universal appeal (Filipinos would definitely enjoy it, but PH media doesn't really have a global audience)! With that in mind, we definitely want to showcase bits and pieces of our culture! Think of it as a slow initiation into PH culture vs laying it on thick right away :)

Also, half of the team have degrees in Japanese studies so we really wanted to test out where there are intersections in culture!
Limabaen wrote: 2. Which of the characters catch your interest? Who would you romance (or, for those uninclined, whose story premise interests you)?
I like all of them! If I had to choose, I'd say I like Nagi's design the best, but Rui's concept (closet otaku haha) seems like it could be very funny. I feel like you've done a good job making them recognisable archetypes, but prying out details which make them not stereotypical.

3. How interested would you be in the “rival stories,” particularly the romances of the bachelors you don’t choose in any given playthrough?
Super interested! Characters are made 1000% better by having relationships outside of their one with the protagonist. I feel like game studios don't do this enough, and I think it's because sometimes some players get jealous over other girls stealing "their guy"? Just a generalisation.
Anyway, I'd gladly prefer the other non-romanced characters to find happiness of their own than being forever player-sexual and forever alone. Also I hope these "rival" characters make appearances in other main routes because that would be awesome.
Thank you so much for the feedback! Will definitely take them into consideration <3

User avatar
haitori
Regular
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:07 am
Tumblr: matchaastudio
Contact:

Re: Golden Hour [GxB] [Romance] [High School] [Mobile]

#8 Post by haitori » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:08 pm

Celianna wrote:1. Does the premise pique your interest? Is the setting/setup fresh and engaging as an iteration of the high school romance genre?
No, it's not fresh, nor does it interest me. The only reason why this project peaks my interest, is due to the art. The art is gorgeous, definitely something I'd want to feast my eyes on. That said, high school romances, especially those set in Japan even though you're not from Japan, has been done to death and is nothing new. That doesn't mean one shouldn't make anymore high school romances, it's just that, you don't really set yourself apart from the rest. Myself, I'd prefer a college setting, as the characters easily look old enough to go to college instead of high school. You could then add the photography element to it better, since the MC can follow a photography major at college.

That said, a big turn-off for me is dragging myself through the 'blocks' you mentioned, going to classes etc. I've always hated those parts in VNs.

2. Which of the characters catch your interest? Who would you romance (or, for those uninclined, whose story premise interests you)?
I don't know much about the characters, since you've used only a couple of lines to describe them ... so I'm going to go based on appearance. Nagi and Kouya would be my first playthroughs. But all of them are interesting enough to warrant me playing them.

3. How interested would you be in the “rival stories,” particularly the romances of the bachelors you don’t choose in any given playthrough?
About zero. It's a nice touch, but let's first see if you can finish the main stories first, before you divide your attention to pairing off your other characters.

4. Any other questions for the team?
How do you imagine the gameplay? When you say you go to class, what exactly happens here? Is it a stat raising game? Do we need to answer class questions? Is it just a paragraph of text letting us know we went to class?
First off, thank you so much for taking the time to respond! We'll definitely take your feedback into consideration :) For the classes, we were envisioning it to be moments where you can interact with other characters - ie scenes will unfold during classes (ie Kouya sends you notes during a boring class; or you see Nagi's smarts in action during groupwork). No stat-raising elements here, but a chance to earn affection points. So if you skip a class, you miss the chance to interact with other characters.
Celianna wrote: Does the story really only span of 10 days? Quite frankly, I hated it in Mystic Messenger, and I would hate it here as well. There's no reason why the romance would only last a couple of days, ending in "I love you forever", which is what irked me with the 10 days in Mystic Messenger. You barely even know each other at that point, and it's not romantic. So I hope you will re-consider it, and perhaps spanning it over a month, or more. I think you're taking a bit too much from Mystic Messenger here - it was popular due to chatroom feature, not because it spans 10 days.
What we wanted to focus on was the mobile element - since a lot of milennials nowadays interact via phone, we put in a messenger for late night or after-school chats and a social media feed to see how other characters are doing and to move story forward. We're still debating the 10 days - one of the options being that only the first part is 10 days, ie you and the bachelor start having feelings for each other; but the actual love lives can be explored in subsequent chapters? We still need to go over how much effort this would take!

Zelan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Posts: 1938
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:23 pm
Completed: The Dark
Projects: bookSLEEPer, Stalker & Yandere
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Contact:

Re: Golden Hour [GxB] [Romance] [High School] [Mobile]

#9 Post by Zelan » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:20 pm

haitori wrote:What we wanted to focus on was the mobile element - since a lot of milennials nowadays interact via phone, we put in a messenger for late night or after-school chats and a social media feed to see how other characters are doing and to move story forward. We're still debating the 10 days - one of the options being that only the first part is 10 days, ie you and the bachelor start having feelings for each other; but the actual love lives can be explored in subsequent chapters? We still need to go over how much effort this would take!
I like the idea of subsequent chapters. I know that Mystic Messenger was only 11 days (and I'm guessing you guys took a lot of inspiration from that), but it's really not the most realistic of plotlines and it does give quite a restricted time frame.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran
Posts: 2433
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Golden Hour [GxB] [Romance] [High School] [Mobile]

#10 Post by gekiganwing » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:41 pm

haitori wrote:The issue we had with making it set purely in Manila is the lack of universal appeal (Filipinos would definitely enjoy it, but PH media doesn't really have a global audience)!
There's a lot of risks when creating commercial software. Creators have to think about questions such as "What if nobody buys it?" and "What if it doesn't appeal to anyone?" I'm just a fanboy rather than a professional. However, I have seen too many instances of clever / offbeat video games which sold only a handful of copies, and ended up collecting dust in bargain bins. From what I can tell, quite a few people just purchase the latest iteration of their favorite franchise, or only buy titles which closely resemble ones they've enjoyed for years.

I don't know how to succeed in the mobile marketplace. However, you *might* find an audience if your visual novel is true to who you are, and what you like. If it conveys an author's individual voice, then it might stand out. If it gives the reader a sense that a person with a distinct point of view wrote it, then it might stand out. This is a roundabout way of saying "Don't just imitate commercial hits. Be yourself."

Off-topic sidebar:
I'm definitely interested in a video game about fictional present-day Manila. I have liked a variety of pop culture -- but I feel embarrassed to realize that most things which I enjoy have originated from just five nations. I haven't made the time to experience entertainment from the Philippines, but I should. Likewise, there is a huge amount of entertainment created in different countries which I haven't tried, but which I would likely appreciate.

User avatar
haitori
Regular
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:07 am
Tumblr: matchaastudio
Contact:

Re: Golden Hour [GxB] [Romance] [High School] [Mobile]

#11 Post by haitori » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:11 pm

gekiganwing wrote:
haitori wrote:The issue we had with making it set purely in Manila is the lack of universal appeal (Filipinos would definitely enjoy it, but PH media doesn't really have a global audience)!
There's a lot of risks when creating commercial software. Creators have to think about questions such as "What if nobody buys it?" and "What if it doesn't appeal to anyone?" I'm just a fanboy rather than a professional. However, I have seen too many instances of clever / offbeat video games which sold only a handful of copies, and ended up collecting dust in bargain bins. From what I can tell, quite a few people just purchase the latest iteration of their favorite franchise, or only buy titles which closely resemble ones they've enjoyed for years.

I don't know how to succeed in the mobile marketplace. However, you *might* find an audience if your visual novel is true to who you are, and what you like. If it conveys an author's individual voice, then it might stand out. If it gives the reader a sense that a person with a distinct point of view wrote it, then it might stand out. This is a roundabout way of saying "Don't just imitate commercial hits. Be yourself."
Thank you for the advice!!! One guiding principle the team is operating on right now is - we want to create a game that we ourselves would want to play. It's a long journey ahead for four people so we definitely want it to be something we're really committed to :D

User avatar
Daydreamer97
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:57 am
Tumblr: otomedaydreams.tumblr.com
Contact:

Re: Golden Hour [GxB] [Romance] [High School] [Mobile]

#12 Post by Daydreamer97 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:02 am

:arrow: 1. Does the premise pique your interest? Is the setting/setup fresh and engaging as an iteration of the high school romance genre?
Not really. I'm not so sure about HS romances these days now that I'm halfway through college. That said, reading about how it'll be set in Manila definitely piqued my interest as a Filipino. I find it interesting that it's set in a secular private school since most private schools are Catholic. To be honest, I would love to see Filipino culture get featured even though the characters don't strike me as Filipino.

:arrow: 2. Which of the characters catch your interest? Who would you romance (or, for those uninclined, whose story premise interests you)?
I'd say Sol and Nagi. Sol because I also love music and tea. Nagi because, I like his design.

:arrow: 3. How interested would you be in the “rival stories,” particularly the romances of the bachelors you don’t choose in any given playthrough?
(ie if you choose Kouya’s route, Nagi will end up romancing someone from the student council throughout your route playthrough!)
I haven't seen any otome game doing this so I would like to see it! It would definitely be a fresh take on the genre!

User avatar
arisan
Newbie
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:55 pm
Projects: Golden Hour
Organization: Matchaa Studio
Tumblr: matchaastudio
Location: Philippines
Contact:

Re: Golden Hour [GxB] [Romance] [High School] [Mobile]

#13 Post by arisan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:29 am

Daydreamer97 wrote::arrow: 1. Does the premise pique your interest? Is the setting/setup fresh and engaging as an iteration of the high school romance genre?
Not really. I'm not so sure about HS romances these days now that I'm halfway through college. That said, reading about how it'll be set in Manila definitely piqued my interest as a Filipino. I find it interesting that it's set in a secular private school since most private schools are Catholic. To be honest, I would love to see Filipino culture get featured even though the characters don't strike me as Filipino.

:arrow: 2. Which of the characters catch your interest? Who would you romance (or, for those uninclined, whose story premise interests you)?
I'd say Sol and Nagi. Sol because I also love music and tea. Nagi because, I like his design.

:arrow: 3. How interested would you be in the “rival stories,” particularly the romances of the bachelors you don’t choose in any given playthrough?
(ie if you choose Kouya’s route, Nagi will end up romancing someone from the student council throughout your route playthrough!)
I haven't seen any otome game doing this so I would like to see it! It would definitely be a fresh take on the genre!
Hey there!
Ari here, another member of Matchaa. It's nice to meet fellow Filipinos here, and nice to see them responding to the common culture we've injected into our project.
We chose a fusion because of the feel we were going for. We're really after the Japanese aesthetic since it's very anime style, but we've added Filipino touches in other ways, like you might see in some of the names:
Ayara=the illustrious Ayalas
Kouya=Kuya (or the more colloquial "Koya")
Ibara=Ibarra from Noli Me Tangere
Then there are the "foreign" students, Sol and Rui, Korean and Latino respectively--nods to the growing Korean population in the country and the abundant influence of Spanish telenovelas on local pop culture.
Clearly, we've taken some liberties with the setting. Rather than mangling Manila to fit our vision, we're staging our story in a city of our own imagining, somewhere between Filipino and foreign--which, all told, is a liminal space that most Filipinos and part-Filipinos are familiar with.

User avatar
haitori
Regular
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:07 am
Tumblr: matchaastudio
Contact:

Re: Golden Hour [GxB] [Romance] [High School] [Mobile]

#14 Post by haitori » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:00 am

[03/15/17]
Hi everyone! Providing an update on the team’s progress as of this week :D

Art


Main Sprites: Drafted
30% complete

Image

ImageImage

-

Design

Wireframes & Mockups: 80% complete
Screen Designs: 5% complete
On hold until wireframe is finalized

Image

-

Development

Unity Environment Configuration: 100% complete
Visual Novel engine: 10% complete

-

Writing

Story Outline: 100% complete
Day 1 Script & Branches: 50% done

-

Team Composition
We have welcomed four junior members into the Matchaa team to help out with art, music, dev, and marketing!
We will be introducing them and the cast in more detail in the next update. Stay tuned!
.

Zelan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Posts: 1938
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:23 pm
Completed: The Dark
Projects: bookSLEEPer, Stalker & Yandere
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Contact:

Re: Golden Hour [GxB][Romance][School Life][Mobile] - new ar

#15 Post by Zelan » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:24 am

can i please romance the girl in the middle

Awesome update! I can't wait to read more about the rivals. ^_^

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cotton Blue