Genie [Suspense][Pseudo-Victorian][Black & White][Demo]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Alem
Regular

Genie [Suspense][Pseudo-Victorian][Black & White][Demo]

#1 Post by Alem »

Hello! I’m happy to present you a demo of our current project – the suspense novel Genie. You can download it here Available for Windows/Mac/*nix systems in Russian and English languages.

As a small group of developers, we decided to make a rather short story, about 3 hours long. The main setting and plot were set pretty fast. Pseudo-Victorian age with a dash of steampunk, it’s quite an interesting concept. Plus, you can’t ignore the influence from Dishonored title. This is how we came up with Genie.

Without a doubt, some of you had a thought “Where are all the colors?” No, they didn’t run from this world and still there for the vast majority of humans.

As you probably already guessed, we decided to make an experiment – to stage our story in a classic pencil environment, styled like book illustrations. All our materials: both actors and backgrounds are based on hand-drawn pictures. It gives a unique solution for Genie’s looks and a fresh perspective, tying the viewpoint of our story to a certain minority inside a huge empire.

With this short demo, we want to test our concept with Steam Greenlight and decide our future course of action. Let us know what do you think about the art style and overall concept. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

Also, I would like to thank active forum members for providing a great help during the development process.

Image Image Image
Last edited by Alem on Mon May 15, 2017 1:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Alem
Regular

Re: Genie [Suspense][Pseudo-Victorian][Black & White][Demo]

#2 Post by Alem »

Extended demo v0.3 with 3 new scenes is up for grabs; you can get it here via a direct download. This build has about one-fifth of the planned content.

Image Image Image
Last edited by Alem on Mon May 15, 2017 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nuxill
Veteran
Projects: No Friend
Tumblr: nuxill
itch: nuxill

#3 Post by Nuxill »

I tried clicking the download link but I get a "link not found" page instead. you might want to double check that.

The pencil drawings style looks really nice. There's only been a few visual novels on here with traditional art so it definitely sticks out. My only suggestion would be that the figures blend into the background a bit so if it were possible to put a slight black outline around the figures, or maybe futz with the background contrast.

Alem
Regular

#4 Post by Alem »

Nuxill wrote:I tried clicking the download link but I get a "link not found" page instead. you might want to double check that.

The pencil drawings style looks really nice. There's only been a few visual novels on here with traditional art so it definitely sticks out. My only suggestion would be that the figures blend into the background a bit so if it were possible to put a slight black outline around the figures, or maybe futz with the background contrast.
Oops, fixed the link in the first post. Thanks for the tip, I'll try to experiment with the idea.

sbester
Regular
Completed: Crime Opera: The Butterfly Effect
Projects: Crime Opera II: The Floodgate Effect, Untitled Gundam Fanmade VN
Organization: Crime Opera Studios

#5 Post by sbester »

Beautiful art!

Alem
Regular

#6 Post by Alem »

0.3c version is out. This release focuses mainly on the GUI and interface parts of the game, namely:

• Fixed a possible crash while taking a screenshot via the “s” shortcut.
• Added an option to choose the main narrative text’s font with a preview in the preference menu. The game still uses Sans font as a default one.
• Adjusted the main text box and accompanying quick buttons. Added “Load” to the quick bar.
• The main text box now stays during choices to provide a background for the quick bar buttons.
• Fixed history’s text misalignment for the actor’s name and their text blocks.
• Various minor fixes and updates.

I've updated the first post with the fresh link

Ertal77
Veteran
Completed: A Hand in the Darkness, Chasing the Stars, My Burning Heart, Blood and Lust, Lurkers, Jolly Roger, The Remainder, The Manor, Night and Day
Projects: Deep in the Forest and Exes Assault!!
Organization: Ertal Games
Tumblr: ertalgames
itch: ertal-games
Discord: Ertal#0394

#7 Post by Ertal77 »

This game looks really cool, I love the idea of using black and white illustrations! :)
There's still too few Victorian visual novels out there.
Do you like BL games? Then join Ertal Games' Discord!

Alem
Regular

#8 Post by Alem »

Thanks for the feedback! Genie is a huge experiment and I'm glad to see that people like the idea behind the game.

XianXian
Projects: Cautionary Tale, Mellizos (WIP)
itch: xianxian

#9 Post by XianXian »

wow this is freakin nice, hope to see it get out there a lot.

Alem
Regular

#10 Post by Alem »

That's it, the job's done and Genie is up at the Steam :)

Image Image Image