Operation: Future Domination [GxB] [Mystery]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Eirrir
Regular
Projects: Operation: Future Domination
Tumblr: Eirrir
itch: eirrir

Operation: Future Domination [GxB] [Mystery]

#1 Post by Eirrir »

***PAGE IS STILL WIP***
Any feedback about your first impressions would be greatly appreciated! Feel free to be brutally honest.
1) From the very brief description provided, does the story interest you? Why or why not?
2) What is your first impression of the characters? Have you already chosen a favorite based on their appearances and short biographies? If so, which one?
3) What are some of your thoughts on the art style and the general vibe of the game?
4) Do you have any other feedback, comments, or questions?
Last edited by Eirrir on Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:17 pm, edited 43 times in total.

Syrale
Regular
Completed: Robot Daycare, Deep Sea Valentine, Locke(d)
Projects: Artificial Selection, rei_carnation
Github: kigyo
itch: kigyo
Discord: kigyo#2564

Re: Operation: Future Domination [GxB] [Psychological] [Roma

#2 Post by Syrale »

1) From the very brief description provided, does the story interest you? Why or why not?
- It does! It vaguely reminds me of a Vocaloid song I listened to years ago which I've always found interesting. I'm excited to see what you do with the story!
2) What is your first impression of the characters? Have you already chosen a favorite based on their appearances and short biographies? If so, which one?
- Appearance-wise I like Ryan best, but judging from the bio I'd pick Leon.
3) What are some of your thoughts on the art style and the general vibe of the game?
- I absolutely LOVE the art style! It's cute and on the simpler side but I can see it going very well with anything ranging from slice-of-life to horror. Great job!
4) What do you think if this game were to go commercial?
- If I like the demo I'd probably be willing to pay for the game.
5) Do you have any other feedback, comments, or questions?
- Good luck with the project, it's looking great so far! I'm curious about the story though. How heavily does it rely on the romance? Will there be friendship routes as well?

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#3 Post by Zelan »

1) From the very brief description provided, does the story interest you? Why or why not?: Yeah, it reminds me a bit of the plot of Groundhog Day (which I still haven't seen, unfortunately).
2) What is your first impression of the characters? Have you already chosen a favorite based on their appearances and short biographies? If so, which one?: Honestly, I like all of them. <: As hard as I try to resist it, characters with glasses are my weakness, so Leon has my favorite design. However, I love character who can get into verbal battles with each other, so Ryan's bio is my favorite. I haven't forgotten Nicolas, though! He's cool too. c:
3) What are some of your thoughts on the art style and the general vibe of the game?: I am absolutely digging it. I can't even explain exactly what it is, I just really like this whole idea.
4) What do you think if this game were to go commercial?: I think it could do decently well, although I really have no expertise in that area. I'd buy it for a reasonable price.
5) Do you have any other feedback, comments, or questions?: "Lotta sass" is my favorite feature.

Eirrir
Regular

#4 Post by Eirrir »

Syrale wrote:1) From the very brief description provided, does the story interest you? Why or why not?
- It does! It vaguely reminds me of a Vocaloid song I listened to years ago which I've always found interesting. I'm excited to see what you do with the story!
- Appearance-wise I like Ryan best, but judging from the bio I'd pick Leon.
- I absolutely LOVE the art style! It's cute and on the simpler side but I can see it going very well with anything ranging from slice-of-life to horror. Great job!
- If I like the demo I'd probably be willing to pay for the game.
- Good luck with the project, it's looking great so far! I'm curious about the story though. How heavily does it rely on the romance? Will there be friendship routes as well?
Hi Syrale, thank you so much for the feedback!
1) Haha, I'm a big fan of time-travel stories, and in the story of Operation: Future Domination, I took a lot of inspiration from the song Kagerou Days (I believe this is the song you're referring to), Steins:Gate, as well as other time-travel media I've seen and loved over the years. I'm happy that you're looking forward to it!
2) Ryan is the first male I've ever drawn with long hair, and I had to discard many sketches because I kept making him look too feminine! So, I'm overjoyed to know that you like him most appearance-wise :lol: . As for Leon, I feel like I projected all my nerdiness and hipster-ness onto him, so as the creator, I feel a more personal connection with him.
3) Thank you for your kind words! I'm planning to make different poses for each character, so to reduce my workload (a.k.a. out of laziness), I tried to make the art somewhat simple but still not degrading the quality of it.
5) The story of this game is a kind of "coming-of-age" one, and the way the story is designed is that these characters will force Rin to grow as a character/person. To be honest, I wasn't sure if the "romance" tag for this game is appropriate, because the game really isn't heavy on the romance at all. It isn't so much as romance as it is character interaction and routes focusing on one specific character and their side of the story. Of course, there will routes that are intimate (for lack of a better word) than others, but there will be some that are vague, and quite frankly, can be characterized as friendship routes.
Current VN Project:
Game Development Blog

Eirrir
Regular

#5 Post by Eirrir »

Zelan wrote:1) From the very brief description provided, does the story interest you? Why or why not?: Yeah, it reminds me a bit of the plot of Groundhog Day (which I still haven't seen, unfortunately).
2) What is your first impression of the characters? Have you already chosen a favorite based on their appearances and short biographies? If so, which one?: Honestly, I like all of them. <: As hard as I try to resist it, characters with glasses are my weakness, so Leon has my favorite design. However, I love character who can get into verbal battles with each other, so Ryan's bio is my favorite. I haven't forgotten Nicolas, though! He's cool too. c:
3) What are some of your thoughts on the art style and the general vibe of the game?: I am absolutely digging it. I can't even explain exactly what it is, I just really like this whole idea.
4) What do you think if this game were to go commercial?: I think it could do decently well, although I really have no expertise in that area. I'd buy it for a reasonable price.
5) Do you have any other feedback, comments, or questions?: "Lotta sass" is my favorite feature.
1) I'm a big fan of time-travel stories, including Groundhog Day, and basically, the story of Operation: Future Domination is a culmination of all my favorite tropes of that genre :lol:.
2) Leon's design is one I personally relate to as the creator. I pretty much projected all my nerdiness and hipster-ness onto him. But as the creator, I like them all the characters equally but for different reasons.
3) Thank you for the encouraging words!
5) Kekeke, look forward to it!
Current VN Project:
Game Development Blog

Dark Sentinel
Regular
Completed: Five in Frills

Re: Operation: Future Domination [GxB] [Psychological] [Myst

#6 Post by Dark Sentinel »

- Yes. Summer is repeating. Timeloops, right? Time travel? Great. That thing is not new, but it still should be interesting.
Eh, not really, sorry. I need to know them better to say for sure.
Art does look nice. I believe it can survive even the commercial rails.
This question is gone now? Well. If it's awesome enough. I guess everyone will give you the answer pretty much around these lines.
When I saw the signature in another thread, my first impression was "oh wow, military fiction? No? Oh" 'cause... well, "operation" and "domination" just ask for that.
Now I have the impression there's
big evil conspiracy by big evil Agency behind the events of game...
As for questions... is there going to be "Loyal maid" type character? Well. What if. Just in case.
щ (ºДº ) щ

Eirrir
Regular

#7 Post by Eirrir »

Dark Sentinel wrote:1) From the very brief description provided, does the story interest you? Why or why not?
- Yes. Summer is repeating. Timeloops, right? Time travel? Great. That thing is not new, but it still should be interesting.
Eh, not really, sorry. I need to know them better to say for sure.
Art does look nice. I believe it can survive even the commercial rails.
This question is gone now? Well. If it's awesome enough. I guess everyone will give you the answer pretty much around these lines.
When I saw the signature in another thread, my first impression was "oh wow, military fiction? No? Oh" 'cause... well, "operation" and "domination" just ask for that.
Now I have the impression there's
big evil conspiracy by big evil Agency behind the events of game...
As for questions... is there going to be "Loyal maid" type character? Well. What if. Just in case.
1) Yes, I love the theme of time-travel, and although it might have been done many times already, I will hopefully be able to spice things up with some plot twists and devices. Kekeke.
2) Yeah, the character descriptions are very brief, so I didn't expect you to have your heart set on any one of them yet. But I hope, with upcoming game updates, you will get a clearer impression of each of them.
3) Thanks for the kind words!
4) Yeah, sorry ^^". I realize that it's way too early and a little unfair at such an early stage of game development to ask this question.
5) Is psychological warfare "military" enough for you? Haha, I'm sure the title can be misleading, and I also suck at naming things, but I assure you there is a reason behind the title!! The reason is a secret for now, though ;)

Hmm, there are no plans for a "loyal maid" character so far.
Last edited by Eirrir on Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current VN Project:
Game Development Blog

Eirrir
Regular

#8 Post by Eirrir »

MAJOR UPDATE #1

Operation: Future Domination has made a lot of progress the past couple of months!
1) Eirrir Games is the official name of the development "studio" and has an official website here. The official game website for OFD can be found here. I'm no website designer, so feel free to give any feedback for improvement!
2) The game/main menu screen for the OFD is practically complete. Take a look at it on the first post. The only changes I will likely make in the future is the logo and the font choice.
3) All the backgrounds for the game have been finished! The talented Bella Hsiao has done a wonderful job making them come to reality for this game. Hooray!
4) The in-game phone has been set-up! There are five apps on the phone: messaging, GPS, notes, music player, and quiz. The messaging app has live chat, and some NPCs might take their sweet time answering your texts. The GPS allows you some agency to choose where you want to spend your time. Planned a meeting with someone? Make sure to be at the right place at the right time! Or stand them up; it’s your choice. The notes app records what you’ve done that day and any insight you might have gathered. It’ll come in handy on your investigations. The music player enables you to change the background music to your liking while you fiddle around on the phone. The Food for Thought app offers a list of quizzes and questionnaires that delve deeper into the themes of the plot and even give hints.

The phone is a crucial part of the gameplay in OFD. The fonts and placement of the apps and windows may change in the future, but the set-up of the phone is pretty much complete.
5) The demo/open beta of OFD is on its way. With hope and a lot of luck, it will be complete and open to the public around the beginning of July. Anything in it will be subject to change, and expect some bugs and typos that will need correcting.

Thanks for reading, and stay tuned for upcoming news!
Last edited by Eirrir on Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
Current VN Project:
Game Development Blog

Mikomi
Veteran

#9 Post by Mikomi »

First off, I really love the aesthetic of this game. It's vibrant and unique!

Yes! It's a short description (which is good- I tend to zone out when people post an entire essay about their VN) but succinctly tells us what the VN is focusing on.

I would say I like Leon the best but then again I have a very obvious type

Again, I love it. Also, the main menu looks wonderful.

It seems like a very big story, what with the 15+ hours and such, but it also looks like you've gotten a lot done so far, so good luck!

5) What do you think if this game were to go commercial?
I think it'd be fine, especially with the length, number of endings, etc.

Eirrir
Regular

#10 Post by Eirrir »

Mikomi wrote:First off, I really love the aesthetic of this game. It's vibrant and unique!

Yes! It's a short description (which is good- I tend to zone out when people post an entire essay about their VN) but succinctly tells us what the VN is focusing on.

I would say I like Leon the best but then again I have a very obvious type

Again, I love it. Also, the main menu looks wonderful.

It seems like a very big story, what with the 15+ hours and such, but it also looks like you've gotten a lot done so far, so good luck!

5) What do you think if this game were to go commercial?
I think it'd be fine, especially with the length, number of endings, etc.
Thank you for your kind words! I'm so happy to know that you like the art direction I've taken the game. I've tried to make the game look as modern and eye-catching as possible, so hopefully, I've done it justice! The main menu is done by the very talented Semide, and I agree that she has done a gorgeous job.

As for the story, yes, I admit it's quite a long one, since the time-travel premise has given me a lot of freedom to use replayability to my advantage. Hopefully, I will be able to do a good job of using suspense and giving the player insight into the grand mystery with each ending they encounter, bit-by-bit.
Current VN Project:
Game Development Blog

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#11 Post by Zelan »

That main menu is just... wow. I'm absolutely floored. The in-game screenshots that you posted look fantastic as well - the sprites, GUI, and backgrounds all complement one another.

The phone feature looks super cool, and it seems like you're really thinking about how to integrate it with the game so that it adds to the gameplay.

The websites are looking good as well (although the "support" button on the OFD site links to the "about" page on the studio site, but other than that all seems well).

Eirrir
Regular

#12 Post by Eirrir »

Zelan wrote:That main menu is just... wow. I'm absolutely floored. The in-game screenshots that you posted look fantastic as well - the sprites, GUI, and backgrounds all complement one another.

The phone feature looks super cool, and it seems like you're really thinking about how to integrate it with the game so that it adds to the gameplay.

The websites are looking good as well (although the "support" button on the OFD site links to the "about" page on the studio site, but other than that all seems well).
Thank you for your feedback, Zelan! It put a huge smile on my face. Semide's work on the main menu is indeed just ... wow. And I'm very glad to hear you think the different art assets complement each other. For the longest time, I couldn't decide how to convey a contemporary mystery vibe though the art, but at last, I think I've struck a good balance for this game. As for the phone, I hope it allows players more freedom to do what they want in the game, while still being an integral part of the story. Also, thank you for checking out my website! In regards to the "support" button on the OFD site, I haven't completely set it up yet, so for now, it will link to my "about" page. However, it should be ready fairly soon, most likely after I release the first demo/beta!
Current VN Project:
Game Development Blog

Eirrir
Regular

#13 Post by Eirrir »

Minor Update & Itch.io
1) Recently, summer classes at university has begun for me, which will likely mean that my schedule will be much busier and I will not be able to work on my game as much as usual. However, I knew this ahead of time, so it’s a good thing I’ve gotten most of the demo for Operation: Future Domination ready!
2) The demo is expected to be out in a couple of weeks, unless something completely unexpected happens (like surprise error messages). It will be uploaded on itch.io for OFD, which has already been set up in preparation for the demo release. As of now, I’m working hard on streamlining and polishing the demo.
3) This first demo will not include the phone feature. I apologize for the wait, but I do not think the phone is ready for public testing; I still need to iron out the kinks. This first demo will focus on giving players a feel for the game and a glimpse into the writing and story.

I hope you all look forward to it, and stay tuned for more news!
P.S. the lovely promotional art is done by the talented ameriya~
Current VN Project:
Game Development Blog

TellerFarsight
Veteran
Projects: Vora, Secrets Untold

#14 Post by TellerFarsight »

You had me immediately with your popart style drop shadow and abstract impressionist art. The sprites, backgrounds, CGs, and especially the UI are wonderful, and I really mean that.
Timeloops? An endless summer? This must be a story about time travel and possibly shady organization(s) and rebel teens, and how could one possibly go wrong with that?
The characters seem interesting enough, although falling into some well-worn stereotypes. I'm not one to chastise people for archetypal characters though, I actually like seeing everyone's slight variations on a well-tested type of character personality
I'd love to see a demo in the future, but if you've got big plans for it then I think going commercial would be a good idea! At first glance, it sure looks like it's good enough to be commercial.
Keep at it, and I'll be sure to keep watch fro your updates. :)
Current Project: Vora
Also Check Out: Devil Survivor [Reverse-Engineered]

Eirrir
Regular

#15 Post by Eirrir »

TellerFarsight wrote:You had me immediately with your popart style drop shadow and abstract impressionist art. The sprites, backgrounds, CGs, and especially the UI are wonderful, and I really mean that.
Timeloops? An endless summer? This must be a story about time travel and possibly shady organization(s) and rebel teens, and how could one possibly go wrong with that?
The characters seem interesting enough, although falling into some well-worn stereotypes. I'm not one to chastise people for archetypal characters though, I actually like seeing everyone's slight variations on a well-tested type of character personality
I'd love to see a demo in the future, but if you've got big plans for it then I think going commercial would be a good idea! At first glance, it sure looks like it's good enough to be commercial.
Keep at it, and I'll be sure to keep watch fro your updates. :)
Thank you for the encouraging feedback, TellerFarsight. It makes me extremely happy to hear that you like the art direction, although I didn't even know it was headed toward abstract impressionism, haha! I have a feeling you're referring to one of the animated backgrounds, which is meant to portray a summer heat haze, but impressionism is another way to look at it ;). As for the characters, I agree that I'm basing them off of very obvious stereotypes, but I'm also hoping to deconstruct those stereotypes in the sense that the characters' identities will have a realistic spin to them and consequences to the story. They won't have a certain role/personality just for the heck of it, and their personality will play out in their various motivations. At least, that's my goal; the question is whether or not I'll successfully achieve this in the game, but you can be sure that I'll be trying my best to present to you all an engaging and memorable visual novel experience.

I'm excited to show you what's to come! :D
Current VN Project:
Game Development Blog