[GxB] [Otome] [Period Drama, Romance, Humor] [Commercial]
Vicboys is a datingsim set in Victorian England. You’ll play as an intriguing young woman whose arrival causes a great stir in the village of Vicville. But the novelty fades eventually, as the townsfolk proceed with their lifes - Leaving you to your own. You must try to make a living for yourself, mingle with the citizens and find a way to fit in. Otherwise you'll be forced to fight poverty... and loneliness. As a woman from a modest background you won’t be restrained by the social conventions set by the upper class. But the fear of becoming an old spinster taints us all. As time passes you find your interest piqued by some of Vicville’s prominent bachelors.
But who will you pursue?
· ask your neigbour for a little bit more sugar?
· count your blessings with the local philantropist?
· be the needle to the tailor’s thread?
· win the heart of the shutterbug nobleman?
· be the teacher’s favourite subject?
· lure the mysterious lad out of his shell?
The game follows the protagonist over a period of 1 year, as she attempts to find herself a suitable husband. During this time she’ll encounter a rich variety of characters from different social classes who all play their own part in her story. While Vicboys takes place in the Victorian era, a time period build on a foundation of high moral standards, you can still expect lots of humor and playful mockery of its genre.
- · 6 suitors
· Over 20 supporting characters who play an active role in your life, depending on which route you take
· A customizable MC name
· Several CG scenes for every route
· A branching narrative where your choices matter
· Multiple endings
· The chance/time to maintain a relationship instead of just obtaining one
· Additional game play elements like an inventory system, gift giving, letter writing and a money making mechanic
· High replay value due to partly randomized dialogue and unique conversations with each route
· Location navigation through a town map
· Available for Windows, Mac, and Linox
Sakubaka is an indie game studio founded by two game art students from the Netherlands, who aim to make a living with their guilty pleasure; datingsims. Since we’re both still in school, we work on our game in our spare time.
We’ve been working on Vicboys for over 1 year now. It’s been an exciting process and a real learning experience so far! I just started using ren’py last june and didn’t know a thing about programming. Fast forward a few months and we actually have a playable prototype. (Of course also thanks to you guys who helped me out when I had code trouble.) But we still have a long way to go. A big chunk of our time will go to writing dialogue and finishing art assets (Expressions, backgrounds, GUI, etc.). But if everything happens according to plan we’ll release a demo somewhere this summer. We hope to release the full game in the summer of 2017 on STEAM but we may have to postpone the release date if it’s necessary.
We're pretty active on our Development Blog. We regularly post concept art there and reveal a new character every month. You can also catch us on our monthly live stream if you want to say hi or see our character artist in action. But I'll make sure to update this thread too! Hopefully soon with some in game screenshots.
We've posted an open call for voice actors a few months ago. Now that our cast is complete, we'd like to introduce them to you with a small demo!
You can download it here:
We would really appreciate it if you could answer the questions below, but any kind of feedback is welcome! Your input is really valuable to our development process.
1. What’s your opinion on the characters? Do you have a favourite?
2. What do you think of the premise so far?
3. How do you feel about the additional game mechanics; gift gifting, letter writing and money making?
4. How many hours of gameplay do you expect from a datingsim like this?
5. How many CG’s do you expect from each route?
6. What do you expect from the audio (Keeping in mind that we’re on a student budget)?
7. Did I leave anything out? Any other questions or comments?
Thank you all for reading this thread.