Vicboys [GxB] [Period Drama, Comedy] [Commercial] DEMO OUT

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Vicboys [GxB] [Period Drama, Romance, Humor] [Commercia

#16 Post by Zelan »

Can i request Fur Elise be one of the tracks if thats a free option for you?
if I can be a Music History nerd for a sec

If I remember right, music retains its copyright for 200 years. Für Elise was written in 1827 and published in 1867, so either way it wouldn't be available. However, it is from the right musical period for the Victorian era - Romanticism. You probably won't be able to find much/any actual Romantic music freely available, but you might be able to find some free tracks in the same style. It would probably also be okay to use music from/inspired by the Classical period. They ARE different, but most people can't tell the difference unless they've had training in music history (and even then it's tough, I still have trouble with it).

runadial
Regular
Completed: My Only Sunshine
Projects: CrossDol (BL), Forsaken
Organization: astellic

#17 Post by runadial »

(1) What's your opinion on the characters? Do you have a favorite?
  • Reading through the descriptions, I find that you have obviously put in effort seeing that you have a diverse cast of characters - including complete opposites, too. I am referring to Dario with his "timid nature" and Fabian with his "social and chivalrous" one. When I first saw the collage of characters, I thought the person on the far right was actually a girl. I find it somewhat uncommon (but not abnormal to the extremities) to give someone with little to no typical Asian features, yet give them a name - specifically Japanese. If I had to choose a favorite, I would say Jaiden, but this may drastically change throughout the game or even the demo.
(2) What do you think of the premise so far?
  • Seeing a dating sim take place way back in history is actually not too common. Of course, there are visual novels, dramas/movies, and books that do such a thing, but it still doesn't really compare to certain other populous topics. Historical-themed dramas and novels typically don't catch my eye too often - the only historical drama I have really enjoyed to its fullest being Scarlet Heart: Ryeo thus far. However, I think with humor, characters with strong personality (especially the protagonist.), and playful mockery, I would really enjoy it with the Victorian setting.
(3) How do you feel about the additional game mechanics?
  • I am intrigued at the letter feature. A select few game companies do this as well, most popularly so Voltage, in which the characters will send mail to you provided that you have given your email to Voltage - their goal essentially is to let yourself be the main character rather than simply reading a story. In other words, it's meant to immerse you (and Voltage does a great job.), which brings me to my point: is it something that will enhance the story, or cause the reader to potentially get bored of it? This is my opinion, but a game I think with similar mechanics, but does a fabulous job of incorporating it is Arena Circus - the majority of it is story, but money making and dress-up is incorporated. However, this feature doesn't interfere with the story you want to tell itself. It's just "spicing" it up, and a lot of people appreciate the spice. However, a game such as Dandelion (Cheritz) goes a bit too far for me. I felt like the story was cute and comedic thus far, but I felt the need to focus on the stat more than the actual story that they wanted to tell, which is why I ended up dropping it. It added spice, sure, but it was honestly so much for me that I may have put on more than I wanted.

(4) How many hours of gameplay do you expect?
  • Ideally and given its commercial status, I would say around 4 hours of gameplay on average per route if you are planning to sell it for around $25 - 28 (USD). If you are still tentative on pricing, let me give you a little something to go off of: games with around 50 hours of gameplay total will cost around $35 (USD). If you're asking for my personal opinion, I would say 3 - 4 hours per route though, just like what nearly everybody else says.
(5) How many CGs do you expect from each route?
  • I would say 5 at a minimum. I have seen free games though that incorporate many CGs - up to 12 per route! I can't say exactly how many I can expect, though I would say that at least one per ending is what I would expect at the bare minimum, if that's what you are looking for in that regard. After all, who doesn't like ending CGs? It's normally the most romantic of them all, such as incorporating kiss CGs ... assuming that all the endings are "good" at that.
(6) What do you expect from the audio?
  • I'm not going to go too deep into this, but I would say have something thematic. For example, if one is making a game about creepy dolls, the majority of the soundtrack may have certain chords that recur, and certain instruments that enhance the atmosphere and the theme (in this case, dolls.) which may include a glockenspiel, or something that gives the reader impressions of a bell. If you have a game about fairy tales, there may be a lot of string instruments and/or piano involved with a majestic or royal type of theme, like Cinderella Phenomenon. I am not too familiar with thematic music for the Victorian era, but it's something worth going into if you're not too familiar with Victorian-themed music.
(7) Did I leave anything out? Any other questions or comments?
  • Overall, I think this game will be something I may actually purchase. I am usually quite tentative on buying full games out of fear that I might drop out and thus the money I spent sort of goes to waste. Though, the demo may help with that decision. I like where this is going, so I'm willing to give you my eye on this when I am able. If I can ask for one other thing from this game though, it would be to try and not make it awkward. When I say awkward, I don't necessarily mean the scenes themselves, but rather the phrasing of words throughout the story. If you don't have an editor, then beta testers are always good to help on that; I just find that if the story phrasing is awkward, I don't like reading through it, and if I don't like reading through it, I drop the game completely (unless I am the one doing the beta testing). That said and over with, I guess the only other thing that I can tell you is good luck?

Smaymay
Regular
Completed: Vicboys demo
Tumblr: esmmeh
Deviantart: Smaymay

#18 Post by Smaymay »

LuckyCats
We feel honoured that your first comment here was posted on this thread. Welcome, to the forums! Don't worry about the length of your reply at all. It's greatly appreciated.
From what Ive gleaned from the character profiles, expressions, etc here are my thoughts on each character so far.
Thank you so much for your extensive opinions on the characters. It's been fun to read them all. Happy you enjoyed the valentines cards so much haha. Our character artist did her best to give each and every character distinctive features so we're glad you noticed it.

So YOU are the heterochromatic fan from that one Tumblr ask. Good to know. Now I can address you here instead. We never really thought about heterochromia but we won't change anything to the design of the characters now. And what does Jaiden hide beneath his hair? Who knows Who knows.
I really like the Victorian era i can already see from the outfits the influence of the times and I'm sure that the backgrounds and mindsets of all characters will be very interesting and reflect that. As for the fear of dying alone part err that's kind of sad... but i am 100% certain that you will have a humorous spin on it. I present the valentines cards as evidence of sakubakas splendid humour to the courts XD Seriously to anyone that takes the time to read my comment check out their blog ALL of it is worth seeing.
YES! That humorous spin is totally something we want to convey in our game. And thank you for that shout-out! 8)
3. How do you feel about the additional game mechanics; gift gifting,
letter writing and money making?
Your feedback on these mechanics has been very informative. Never played any Solmare or Voltage inc. otome games but I'll look into them. Sadly I can't tell you more about these mechanics but once we're able to share some screenshots I'll make sure to add them to this post with an explanation. But we're glad you're up for it!

I heard you already got your questions answered by our character artist but I'll answer them here anyway in case someone would like to read it.
How many ends are you planning for each character? Will there be bad ends?
We're planning to feature multiple endings but can't say anything specific about them yet since we're still in development and our circumstances could always change.
Your tsun tree is adorable, how long did it take you to decide on that logo?
Once we decided to call ourself Sakubaka that logo design came naturally. How could you not think about a tsundere blushing sakura tree when you hear Sakubaka?
What are some of sakubaka teams favorite otome games?
Our all time favourite otome game is definitely Hatoful Boyfriend. I still can't believe it that a game about dating birds can make a person laugh and tear up at the same time. If you haven't made it to the true ending already, please do. We've played some major titles from cheritz too but Hatoful boyfriend still ranks number 1 on our list.

Thanks again for your kind words and support :)

Smaymay
Regular

#19 Post by Smaymay »

Zelan & LuckyCats
Regarding Für Elise and Victorian Era music in particular,

Vicboys takes place in 1871 so we could very well use Für Elise in our game if we want to. But like Zelan said it's probably still not under public domain. But the sheet music, on the other hand, is a whole different story. We stumbled upon a great website called Musopen with a ginormous library of royalty free classical music. And luckily they have a lot of pieces from the Romantic period.
Musopen is a non-profit focused on increasing access to music by creating free resources and educational materials. We provide recordings, sheet music, and textbooks to the public for free, without copyright restrictions. Put simply, our mission is to set music free.
They provide composers and performers from over the whole world with sheet music (under the public domain) and let them post the recordings on their site. They vary in quality but we discovered many gems among their collection. (You can't use all the music though. Some pieces do have a copyright notice. Mind the labels next to the title of a piece.)

We can highly recommend this site. :)

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#20 Post by Zelan »

Smaymay wrote:We stumbled upon a great website called Musopen with a ginormous library of royalty free classical music.
...OOOOH. I like this. Thanks for the resource! c:

It looks like you guys have put quite a lot of thought into the music already, so I think you guys should be good on that front.

LuckyCats
Regular

#21 Post by LuckyCats »

Zelan wrote:if I can be a Music History nerd for a sec
Music History knowledge always welcome, wear that badge with pride ヽ(´▽`)ノ
I had no idea that copyright lasted so long. I would've guessed that music written so long ago would be open for public after a 100 years or so. Out of curiosity it makes me wonder where the royalties go if someone did want to use them. The deceased persons heirs? The victorian equivalent to a record label?
smaysmay wrote:We feel honoured that your first comment here was posted on this thread. Welcome, to the forums! Don't worry about the length of your reply at all. It's greatly appreciated.
Aww I'm happy to hear you guys appreciated hearing my thoughts, glad to share them (≧∇≦)
smaysmay wrote:We're planning to feature multiple endings but can't say anything specific about them yet since we're still in development and our circumstances could always change.
I'd love to hear more about the direction of where you guys are going with endings when you've gotten to a place in development where you can speak more on it
Even vague ideas that could be subject to change are welcomed :3
smaysmay wrote:Our all time favourite otome game is definitely Hatoful Boyfriend. I still can't believe it that a game about dating birds can make a person laugh and tear up at the same time. If you haven't made it to the true ending already, please do. We've played some major titles from cheritz too but Hatoful boyfriend still ranks number 1 on our list.
I've actually never played hatoful boyfriend before, though i had seen it several times i wasnt sure about dating birds X'P but with your recommending it so fondly I'll have to check it out. A game that can make people both laugh and cry has to be awesome. I will def aim for that true ending in it :)
smaysmay wrote:We stumbled upon a great website called Musopen with a ginormous library of royalty free classical music.
Whoa you werent kidding about it being huge, surely you will be able to find anything you could possibly need for music there (・ω・)b

Some questions/Comments

Were you planning on some of the music being based on location or being set to the emotional tone of the scenes? As a fan I just freely enjoy music as it happens in the games but I became curious about how devs work on music placement.

Ive seen a otome dev show some samples of songs that they have planned for their game. Will you list a few of your favorites from musopen for us to hear too?

Forgot to say this before
I like how the guys all have a unique signature for signing their letters.
I feel like it suits that they would have differing styles some simple and some more flamboyant (I'm looking at Fabian and Petrus).
Im curious that Dario has the longest name and most distiguished family history(probably)
but writes his signature in a style that is more illegible.

It reminds me of a handwriting analysis article that i'd read in the past saying: if someone has a neat script but messy signature it means that they care about what they are trying to convey in their letters more than they care about their self/ego.
With Dario having the highest peerage rank but being so timid at the same time I felt like it would fit him somehow and (possibly) reflect this theory of sincere writing while at the same time showing a disregard for self/ego that is at odds with his rank.
And wonder if it was deliberate signature choice for him? Or am I thinking too much? XD

Mello-Knight
Regular
Projects: Band Camp Boyfriend
Tumblr: lovebirdgames

#22 Post by Mello-Knight »

Oh my goodness, your art is just SO adorable! It really grabbed me and I got a warm feeling like I was sitting down to read a Jane Austen book when I started on it. :)

1. What’s your opinion on the characters? Do you have a favourite?
I gotta say it's between Jeremy and Fabian. I love how they look, plus I'm getting a tsun vibe from Jeremy and I'm a sucker for tsuns. Also I wanted to mention the fact you have their signatures is a very cute touch. ^^

2. What do you think of the premise so far?
It's simple, but refreshing.

3. How do you feel about the additional game mechanics; gift gifting, letter writing and money making?
I'm actually not much for extra bells and whistles on the dating sims I play. Usually I just want to read the story and make decisions, but I won't knock anything until I've tried it!

4. How many hours of gameplay do you expect from a datingsim like this?
I have no idea, I'm not a very good judge of time. It's not something I've thought about.

5. How many CG’s do you expect from each route?
I don't feel CGs are incredibly necessary to make a wonderful game, but they're always a nice thing to have. I think at least 3 CGs per interest would be a good place to be, especially since you have so many.

6. What do you expect from the audio (Keeping in mind that we’re on a student budget)?
Definitely go classical music with this, to suit the setting. If you don't have access to a composer, I'd recommend checking out Kevin Macleod--he has great royalty free music of many different genres! I'm sure you could find something fitting for your game.

7. Did I leave anything out? Any other questions or comments?
Nope, you're off to a great start and again, I adore your art. Good luck with your game and with school. ^^

Smaymay
Regular

#23 Post by Smaymay »

runadial
Reading through the descriptions, I find that you have obviously put in effort seeing that you have a diverse cast of characters - including complete opposites, too.
Thanks for saying that! Diversity was definitely something we were trying to achieve with our characters.
I am intrigued at the letter feature. A select few game companies do this as well, most popularly so Voltage, in which the characters will send mail to you provided that you have given your email to Voltage - their goal essentially is to let yourself be the main character rather than simply reading a story. In other words, it's meant to immerse you (and Voltage does a great job.), which brings me to my point: is it something that will enhance the story, or cause the reader to potentially get bored of it?
However, a game such as Dandelion (Cheritz) goes a bit too far for me. I felt like the story was cute and comedic thus far, but I felt the need to focus on the stat more than the actual story that they wanted to tell, which is why I ended up dropping it.
I agree with your thoughts on Dandelion. At one point I didn't even pay attention to the dialogue anymore. I was just mindlessly raising my stats without actively thinking about my decisions. It was just a matter of "getting through it" until another cutscene came along. That's certainly something we want to avoid with our game. We aim to incorporate the additional gameplay elements in our story. They should all serve a common goal. I'll look into Arena Circus. Thanks for the tip!
If I can ask for one other thing from this game though, it would be to try and not make it awkward. When I say awkward, I don't necessarily mean the scenes themselves, but rather the phrasing of words throughout the story. If you don't have an editor, then beta testers are always good to help on that; I just find that if the story phrasing is awkward, I don't like reading through it, and if I don't like reading through it, I drop the game completely (unless I am the one doing the beta testing).
We'll try out best! Of course, we'll have some beta testers on board to help us out.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and expectations :) It means a lot!

Unicorn_Magic
Regular

#24 Post by Unicorn_Magic »

Hi there! The Victorian age, wow, it already piqued my interest when I read that haha~
The first thing I noticed was that the protagonist was blinking her eyes, so cool :o
Also, really appreciate that there's no stat building, it just gets tiring because of it whenever I replay, now I'll finally get onto the questions-
:arrow: I love the characters! The art is quite unique and I love the colors too, also the hairstyles of ALL the characters are amazing~
I really cant decide between the characters, they're all so interesting, I think after I get to know more about them from the demo I'll be able to choose, maybe haha
:arrow: It's definitely interesting, what I got from the summary is that we get to interact with the villagers and maybe develop our identity in the new village, that makes me really want to play AND its Victorian Age, what's not to like about it? ;)
3. How do you feel about the additional game mechanics; gift gifting, letter writing and money making?
:arrow: I'm not so sure how these work, but it sounds nice, especially letter writing since I've never heard about it before, I look forward to seeing how it comes into action~
:arrow: I'm not sure, at least 4 hours? Especially since it's commercial. I don't know how long it usually is though.
:arrow: It's random but maybe 7, I think that should suffice, I usually pay more attention to the background art :)

And I'm done! I'm sorry if it was too long, I just really liked the main idea behind this game, I think it's not just getting the guy, it's more than that. Anyways, all the best for your project and I'll be awaiting the demo!

Smaymay
Regular

#25 Post by Smaymay »

LuckyCats
Out of curiosity it makes me wonder where the royalties go if someone did want to use them. The deceased persons heirs? The victorian equivalent to a record label?
... That's a good question indeed. :shock: GOOGLE TO THE RESCUE Link
I've actually never played hatoful boyfriend before, though i had seen it several times i wasnt sure about dating birds X'P but with your recommending it so fondly I'll have to check it out. A game that can make people both laugh and cry has to be awesome. I will def aim for that true ending in it :)
YES. When you get the chance to play the game, let me know what you think about it :)
About how many tracks were you thinking about featuring in the game? Were you planning on some of the music being based on location or being set to the emotional tone of the scenes? As a fan I just freely enjoy music as it happens in the games but I became curious about how devs work on music placement. Ive seen a otome dev show some samples of songs that they have planned for their game. Will you list a few of your favorites from musopen for us to hear too?
We don't have an estimation yet of how many track we will feature. But we are planning to have:
  • a main theme
  • character themes
  • location based music
  • music that's relevant to a particular scene
And that's actually a great idea, showing a playlist with some songs. We'll look into that!
And wonder if it was deliberate signature choice for him? Or am I thinking too much? XD
Glad you appreciate the signatures! And those are some interesting observations hmmm.
It certainly reflects their personalities. That's for sure!

Thank you again for leaving a comment. :D

Smaymay
Regular

#26 Post by Smaymay »

Mello-Knight
Oh my goodness, your art is just SO adorable! It really grabbed me and I got a warm feeling like I was sitting down to read a Jane Austen book when I started on it. :)
Aww, that's very nice of you to say. Comments like this give US a warm feeling inside. :)
I'm actually not much for extra bells and whistles on the dating sims I play. Usually I just want to read the story and make decisions, but I won't knock anything until I've tried it!
I get where you're coming from. That's why we try to incorporate these features in our story. It should enhance the whole experience. It's a datingsim after all. We don't want to deviate from that. But thank you for sharing your opinion. We'll keep it in mind!
Definitely go classical music with this, to suit the setting. If you don't have access to a composer, I'd recommend checking out Kevin Macleod--he has great royalty free music of many different genres! I'm sure you could find something fitting for your game.
I've heard of Kevin Macleod but I didn't know he had a classical music album as well. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We'll definitely check it out!

Your words of encouragement mean a lot to us. THANKS AGAIN :D

Smaymay
Regular

#27 Post by Smaymay »

Unicorn_Magic
Hi there! Thank you for leaving a comment :)
The first thing I noticed was that the protagonist was blinking her eyes, so cool :o
Glad you like it. We hope to give everyone a blinking animation but first, we have to figure out whether it's distracting or not.
I love the characters! The art is quite unique and I love the colors too, also the hairstyles of ALL the characters are amazing~
AHH. I'll pass those lovely comments along to our character artist!
It's definitely interesting, what I got from the summary is that we get to interact with the villagers and maybe develop our identity in the new village, that makes me really want to play AND its Victorian Age, what's not to like about it? ;)
Jay! Agreed. The Victorian age is a great time period to work with.
And I'm done! I'm sorry if it was too long, I just really liked the main idea behind this game, I think it's not just getting the guy, it's more than that. Anyways, all the best for your project and I'll be awaiting the demo!
That's exactly something we want the player to experience. Sure, it's a DATINGsim but that doesn't mean everything has to revolve around that. And don't worry about the length of your comment. We greatly appreciate it. :D Thank you for your kind words.

MasterOfDisguise

#28 Post by MasterOfDisguise »

First of all, I LIKE THAT SHE BLINKS :D It's a nice touch <3
The design is really nice, I would have to say that my favourite aesthetically would be Jaiden or Yasai (AKA the babies of the group *gulp*) although I can't quite articulate why...personality wise, I don't have a preference really. Jaiden seems very mysterious, like he may a dark side, so does Jeremy, and I'm weak for the tsundere types so maybe one of those two? Petrus seems like he would be intelligent so I'm looking forward to him :3

I love period-style dramas so I'm expecting to like this! The feeling of going back in time and "seeing" a world you will never get to experience, it's just really cool imo. I've played period style visual novels before and this premise is pretty standard - a woman trying to survive in society, in other words, finding a suitable husband. I think the dialogue will really make or break it :)

I'm not a fan of stat raising games generally. Money-making should be fine, as long it adds to the development of the character and her personal goals, not just so she can buy a gift to impress someone. Letter writing could be effective as well, now that I think about it
If you're going to do it, go all in and make it interesting. Good luck, I have faith in you!

A couple of hours for each guy at least, the longer the better

I don't want to state a specific number. I like your artwork so far, I think you'll get a good reaction if you put a good amount in

6. What do you expect from the audio (Keeping in mind that we’re on a student budget)?

I think music is important. When done right, background music adds so much tension and release, it can just really enhance my involvement in a game.
Of course, I understand you're on a budget so don't worry about it, as long as the story is good

7. Did I leave anything out? Any other questions or comments?

More information about the personalities please!

Smaymay
Regular

#29 Post by Smaymay »

MasterOfDisguise
Thank you for leaving a comment. I'm sorry for the late reply! :(
The design is really nice, I would have to say that my favourite aesthetically would be Jaiden or Yasai (AKA the babies of the group *gulp*) although I can't quite articulate why...personality wise, I don't have a preference really. Jaiden seems very mysterious, like he may a dark side, so does Jeremy, and I'm weak for the tsundere types so maybe one of those two? Petrus seems like he would be intelligent so I'm looking forward to him :3
Why thank you. It's been fun to read your thoughts on these characters. A potential dark side for Jaiden and Jeremy? Hmmm... Who knows. :wink:
I love period-style dramas so I'm expecting to like this! The feeling of going back in time and "seeing" a world you will never get to experience, it's just really cool imo. I've played period style visual novels before and this premise is pretty standard - a woman trying to survive in society, in other words, finding a suitable husband. I think the dialogue will really make or break it :)
Glad you enjoy the setting! It's been an amazing experience to research this time period. I get where you're coming from. The premise sounds like your regular Jane Austen novel. But I assure you we're giving this our own spin. We like to play with people's expectations. :)
I'm not a fan of stat raising games generally. Money-making should be fine, as long it adds to the development of the character and her personal goals, not just so she can buy a gift to impress someone. Letter writing could be effective as well, now that I think about it If you're going to do it, go all in and make it interesting. Good luck, I have faith in you!
AY! WE"LL DO OUR BEST! :D
More information about the personalities please!
Noted!

Smaymay
Regular

#30 Post by Smaymay »

UPDATE

Casting Call
We decided to take the plunge and try to feature Voice Acting in Vicboys. That's why we're currently holding an open Call for Voice Actors.
There are still 3 weeks left before we close the auditions. You can read more about it in this Tumblr post or Lemmasoft thread.

New characters
We revealed two supporting characters on our Development blog! Meet Dotty and Billy.