a(t)rium [GxB] [urban fantasy] - demo available

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Alcor
Veteran
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNo '16), misSHAPEn love! (NaNo '16)
Projects: a(t)rium
itch: cosmic-albacore

a(t)rium [GxB] [urban fantasy] - demo available

#1 Post by Alcor »

[Friendship / Romance] [Urban Fantasy]

a(t)rium is a PWYW (pay-what-you-want; can be downloaded for free) game.
Plant-themed physical merchandise (small things like enamel pins) may be available later.

---

SYNOPSIS

a·tri·um
noun
1. a central hall or court in a building
2. each of two upper cavities of the heart

College student Amaranth ("Amie") was fired from her job at the library after making
a major mistake, and she had been getting rejected from all the jobs she applied for ever
since. When Amie is spontaneously offered a part-time job at Heartful Flowers, a small
flower shop near her college, she accepts without much hesitation. Little does Amie know
that the small shop's atrium conceals a big secret…

---

CHARACTERS

---

SCREENSHOTS

(see GUI screenshots in the post below!)

---

MUSIC

LISTEN ON SOUNDCLOUD

---

TEAM

This is a project by Studio Dipper.

Story & Writing: Alcor
Character Sprites: Alcor
CGs: Alcor
Backgrounds: Alcor
Logo & UI Design: Alcor
Programming: Alcor
Music: Alcor & Caelem

(Yup, this is a solo project by yours truly.)

---

DOWNLOAD THE DEMO ON ITCH.IO

JOIN THE DISCORD DISCUSSION ON ASTER*SM

NANORENO DEMO FEATURES:
- a protagonist who frequently jumps to conclusions
- 3 questionable love interests
- 4k+ words (~15 minutes of playtime)
- 4 sprites with 150+ expressions between them
- 3 hand-drawn backgrounds
- 2 music tracks (thanks to Caelem for arranging them!)
- phone feature with a notification system
- a whole month's worth of tears
- no choices, sorry!
The updated demo version (with ⅓ to ½ of the full game) is tentatively set to release
In summer 2017. The full version is estimated to be released in late 2017 or early 2018.

---

NOTES / QUESTIONS

Have you played the demo? If yes, did you enjoy it? If not, do you plan to, and why or why not?

Which character are you most interested in and why? Are there any characters you did not like?

What did you think of the 'phone' feature? Did it feel immersive, or was it disruptive/distracting?

How do you feel about the art and the music? Are they appealing to you?

How do you feel about premature bad endings? How do you feel about bad endings in general?

Additional comments, concerns, bug reports, etc. would be much appreciated!

Alcor
Veteran

Re: a(t)rium [GxB] [urban fantasy] - demo available

#2 Post by Alcor »

GUI PREVIEWS

LuckyCats
Regular

#3 Post by LuckyCats »

Pre-Demo thoughts

Does the synopsis sound promising to you?

Yes both working in a flower shop and also that theres some kind of secret. I can never let any secrets rest, I must get to the bottom of things (๑•̀ㅁ•́๑)✧ ( ✧Д✧)

Given the minimal information provided, which character sounds the most interesting to you?_______________________________________________________________________________________

Hisashi
He's too cute and he has a mischievous look I like.
Noticed that his sleeves are extra long. I like my jackets like that too and I'd wear his hair clip in a heartbeat :3

How do you feel about the plant theme? Do you like plants? (or do you believe that 'plants are food, not friends!'?)___________________________________________________________________________________________

I like the plant theme, language of flowers, random plant facts I'm a curious person in general.
If vegetables count as plants though then R.I.P my delicious plant friends

Do you think 1920x1080px resolution is too ridiculous for a non-commercial VN?

I'm not sure? It took less than a min to download for me but even if it took longer just have to be patient d(⌒ー⌒)

POST-DEMO

Which character are you most interested in and why? Are there any characters you did not like?

Hisashi fav he's just as cute and mysterious as i imagined he would be.
Amaranth your comment about her name in the language of flowers makes me wonder if she is a ghost plus I just love all the conclusions she jumps to. I want to know what she's going think is behind the door lol

Didnt dislike any of the characters will gladly play them all :)

Any guesses about what's in the locked room? (hint: not human skeletons, illegal drugs, or cats.)

I want to say monster plants, magical plants, some kind of rare delicate plants, a secret lab.

What did you think of the 'phone' feature? Did it feel immersive, or was it disruptive/distracting

I think its a cool feature. I'd like to see it used in a mystery where it could keep updating people profiles location info clues etc as you find them.

Did you enjoy the music (disregarding the fact that it was only two tracks for the entire demo)?

Yes it was very peaceful and suited the scene

Additional comments, concerns, bug reports, etc. would be much appreciated!

Love the succulents XD

I'm impressed by the range of emotions the characters show and are planned to have. I've seriously never seen a cast with such a variety of expressions planned and I've play tons of otome.

Alcor
Veteran

#4 Post by Alcor »

@LuckyCats: thank you for playing the demo, and for leaving your feedback! :D
LuckyCats wrote: Does the synopsis sound promising to you?

Yes both working in a flower shop and also that theres some kind of secret. I can never let any secrets rest, I must get to the bottom of things (๑•̀ㅁ•́๑)✧ ( ✧Д✧)

Any guesses about what's in the locked room? (hint: not human skeletons, illegal drugs, or cats.)

I want to say monster plants, magical plants, some kind of rare delicate plants, a secret lab.

How do you feel about the plant theme? Do you like plants? (or do you believe that 'plants are food, not friends!'?)___________________________________________________________________________________________

I like the plant theme, language of flowers, random plant facts I'm a curious person in general.
If vegetables count as plants though then R.I.P my delicious plant friends
Haha, I'm the same way about secrets! Those are some nice guesses, but I can't quite tell you whether they're correct.

I'm not an expert on plants, but I'll definitely be doing more research while writing this game. I'm glad you enjoyed what I did include so far, though. I'm somewhat more knowledgeable about floral design than actually taking care of plants, and I think that shows XD
LuckyCats wrote: Given the minimal information provided, which character sounds the most interesting to you?_______________________________________________________________________________________

Hisashi
He's too cute and he has a mischievous look I like.
Noticed that his sleeves are extra long. I like my jackets like that too and I'd wear his hair clip in a heartbeat :3

Hisashi fav he's just as cute and mysterious as i imagined he would be.
Amaranth your comment about her name in the language of flowers makes me wonder if she is a ghost plus I just love all the conclusions she jumps to. I want to know what she's going think is behind the door lol

Didnt dislike any of the characters will gladly play them all :)
Hooray, a fan of Hisashi! I gotta say, I also enjoy wearing jackets like his (mostly because all the jackets and long-sleeved shirts I own are too big for me, so the sleeve is always too long). Great to hear that you found his hairclip cute, too!
LuckyCats wrote: Additional comments, concerns, bug reports, etc. would be much appreciated!

Love the succulents XD

I'm impressed by the range of emotions the characters show and are planned to have. I've seriously never seen a cast with such a variety of expressions planned and I've play tons of otome.
Aaaah, thank you! I find it rather funny that almost all the feedback mentions the expressions, actually; I feel that other otome games often has as many expressions, but maybe change between them less often? Anyway, thank you so much for taking the time to comment, and I hope you'll play the updated demo or full game someday!