Hexiliath [Sci-fi] [Adventure] [Turn-Based Combat]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
JessieK
Projects: HexTex
Organization: N/A
Deviantart: jessieheartk

Hexiliath [Sci-fi] [Adventure] [Turn-Based Combat]

#1 Post by JessieK »

Greetings all, I’m Jessie and I’m representing a new visual novel made by a small team of three: Rose Brailsford (Writer) , Joshua Foster (Programmer) , Tristan "Cipher" Hallihan (Proof Reader and Editor) and myself Jessica Kings (Artist). We talk and discuss concepts all the time and this has been under the works for a while now. The idea itself is nearly a year old (and boy do I wish it was a year along in development!)

We are created a narrative-focused turn based strategy game set in a galactic conflict with factions and planets unlike our own. These are all fresh ideas (Hopefully!) and I truly hope that what is shown here is pleasing because we aim to impress.
The Story
The Hexiliath Empire is eons old, and stretches back to the early days of intergalactic exploration; in those days, it saw a period of rapid expansion through a combination of conquest and diplomacy. Today, however, it is a monarchy of over thirty planets with a variety of cultures and lifestyles.

It is not alone. The galaxy’s other major power is The Outer Rim Confederation – a collection of planets ruled by a single idea: independence at all costs. These two entities have not always been kind to one another. The ORC was explicitly formed to stop Imperial expansion; however, the Emperor’s death has shaken up the stars’ ecosystem.

The current leader of the Hexiliath Empire is Empress Alinara, who rules from the capital, Almalexia. On the other side of the galaxy is her brother, Prince Laymirith. Unlike his cruel sister, he is a calm and patient man who currently keeps his forces from engaging.

With these monumental events and sudden shifts in the balance of power, it’s hard to find your place. You are Nora Burris, a space captain of the Outer Rim Confederation; your goals are simple: explore the galaxy, fight foes from the vast recesses of space, and keep your crew from destruction – whether from within or from without.

I’d hate to spoil anything else, but extra details can be provided upon request. Without spoiling anything, this is a narrative-focused game; you’ll learn about your squad-mates and immerse yourself in the world.

I’d like to explain what I mean by “narrative focused.” Since we had a clear vision for the game and didn’t want to make our world feel shallow, Norra is a more fleshed-out character than some players may be used to. While you will play as her and make decisions as the ship’s captain, Norra will occasionally make decisions that will flesh out the world, further the narrative, and lead to her character’s development.
Your Crew

More crew and foes to come!
Features

Turn-Based Combat: Unlike many VNs, we wanted to try attracting a wide range of players by introducing more interactive elements. At certain times, the player will take control of the ships and mechs under Norra’s command.

Choice: Did you tell Sarah to stop giving you combat advice? She’ll remember that! Both major and minor choices will impact the story, thanks to the engine we’ve created within Unity.

A Large-Scale Story: You are battling for the fate of a galaxy-spanning empire. Planets will burn, battles will rage throughout space, and people will die. We really wanted to make our game feel grandiose, and wanted to show how these events impact the crew.

Not Too Large: We want you to get to know the crew, and so learning about them/keeping them happy are crucial to the story. Tasks can be mundane, like mediating disputes or conducting repairs; on the other hand, you may deal with major problems, like uncovering a spy.

Animated Combat: You won’t find any still images on this battle screen! Each unit has its own set of unique animations and comes with a wide variety of moves. (See here)
http://i.imgur.com/XHHNdlz.gif - Final move animation

Gameplay and GUI

Questions

1: Do any of the characters intrigue you? Would you like to know more about a specific one?

2: We noticed a lack of sci-fi VNs when doing our research; how do you feel about an adventure-based sci-fi game compared to more traditional settings and elements?

3: Turn-based strategy will be a large portion of the game. Is this idea appealing to you? Should we have multiple difficulties? Should we give players the option of skipping combat altogether?

4: Do you have any other thoughts? Anything would be helpful, as we want to make the best game that we can!
Progress:
Story - 20%
Characters - 50%
Combat Sprites - 40%
Backgrounds - 5%
Music - 50%
GUI - 80%
CGs - 10%

Thank you so much for reading! Its our first time putting out anything like this so we are really excited about hearing back your thoughts. We have a lot more information coming soon!

That includes things like a gameplay video, website and even demo for the game for you guys to try out!
Last edited by JessieK on Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:11 pm, edited 12 times in total.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

Re: Hexiliath [Sci-fi Adventure] [Turn-Based Combat]

#2 Post by papillon »

The art looks nice, but your sample text in both the profiles and the game screenshots is filled with problems. Wrong words, awkward grammar and punctuation, etc. If that is placeholder text, it would be a good idea to get it polished up early for marketing purposes, because right now, it doesn't give a very good impression.

If you're not familiar with the Sunrider games, you might want to look at them, as they're the easiest example of an existing playerbase with an interest in sci-fi VNs and space combat. They're also going the bishoujo route with some nudity and so on, so it's not a complete overlap, but you might get some useful information by seeing what their fans like and dislike about the other aspects of the games.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#3 Post by SundownKid »

I definitely feel like sci-fi is an underrepresented genre, and any new scifi games that are high quality would be great. If it has turn based mech combat then it's even better.

Your game definitely has artwork that is beyond any typical visual novel. It looks awesome! But as was said earlier, if the writing is riddled with typos then that is basically the kiss of death for any visual novel. No matter how fun the combat is and how shiny the graphics, story is to a visual novel what aiming is to an FPS, it's the one thing you have to get right at all costs. Luckily there are plenty of proofreaders out there for hire.

It's a noble goal to try to make a purely adventure visual novel, but I would heavily consider adding optional dating sim gameplay. It already has crew interaction so it only makes sense from a business standpoint, as there is obviously a huge market for it. You could easily make a gender selectable captain and market to both genders by doing what Mass Effect did and calling them "Captain" or "Commander".

My UI suggestions: the dialog text is a little hard to read - maybe it's the font or the fact that it stretches across the entire screen. Consider making the text box less wide and the spacing between lines bigger. Or maybe use a different font for the text than the name. I also think the name could be bigger; currently it's only slightly bigger than the dialog and doesn't really stand out.
Last edited by SundownKid on Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

JessieK

#4 Post by JessieK »

papillon wrote:The art looks nice, but your sample text in both the profiles and the game screenshots is filled with problems. Wrong words, awkward grammar and punctuation, etc. If that is placeholder text, it would be a good idea to get it polished up early for marketing purposes, because right now, it doesn't give a very good impression.

If you're not familiar with the Sunrider games, you might want to look at them, as they're the easiest example of an existing playerbase with an interest in sci-fi VNs and space combat. They're also going the bishoujo route with some nudity and so on, so it's not a complete overlap, but you might get some useful information by seeing what their fans like and dislike about the other aspects of the games.
SundownKid wrote:I definitely feel like sci-fi is an underrepresented genre, and any new scifi games that are high quality would be great. If it has turn based mech combat then it's even better.

Your game definitely has artwork that is beyond any typical visual novel. It looks awesome! But as was said earlier, if the writing is riddled with typos then that is basically the kiss of death for any visual novel. No matter how fun the combat is and how shiny the graphics, story is to a visual novel what aiming is to an FPS, it's the one thing you have to get right at all costs. Luckily there are plenty of proofreaders out there for hire.

It's a noble goal to try to make a purely adventure visual novel, but I would heavily consider adding dating sim gameplay. It already has crew interaction so it only makes sense from a business standpoint, as there is obviously a huge market for it. You could easily make a gender selectable captain and market to both genders.

My UI suggestions: the dialog text is a little hard to read - maybe it's the font or the fact that it stretches across the entire screen. Consider making the text box less wide and the spacing between lines bigger. Or maybe use a different font for the text than the name. I also think the name could be bigger; currently it's only slightly bigger than the dialog and doesn't really stand out.
Thanks for the great feedback I'll get to work on the UI right away, it's something I'm still getting used to as I am normally an illustrator not really a designer, as for the writing that was 100% my bad, it was written in a rush and quite late, I'm uploading the adjusted content now, let me know if this has fixed the issues or if some things still fall flat!

To make sure this doesn't happen again I am searching for a proof reader, I want this product to be the best it can be so all the feedback you two just gave me has really helped thank you.

As for the making it a dating sim, it's something I have strongly considered myself, but I am fairly invested in telling a story at the same time, I'm checking out the game recommended above called "Sunrider" which seems to do the same sort of thing, of tell a story and be a dating sim so I will see how they pull it off.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#5 Post by SundownKid »

JessieK wrote: As for the making it a dating sim, it's something I have strongly considered myself, but I am fairly invested in telling a story at the same time, I'm checking out the game recommended above called "Sunrider" which seems to do the same sort of thing, of tell a story and be a dating sim so I will see how they pull it off.
As Mass Effect has showed, it's totally possible to do a gripping storyline and romance at the same time and have fans who like either/or, or both. You could consider that game technically a dating sim of sorts.

JessieK

#6 Post by JessieK »

SundownKid wrote:
JessieK wrote: As for the making it a dating sim, it's something I have strongly considered myself, but I am fairly invested in telling a story at the same time, I'm checking out the game recommended above called "Sunrider" which seems to do the same sort of thing, of tell a story and be a dating sim so I will see how they pull it off.
As Mass Effect has showed, it's totally possible to do a gripping storyline and romance at the same time and have fans who like either/or, or both. You could consider that game technically a dating sim of sorts.
A good point actually, while I think mass effects romance isn't exactly deep they do a good job of not letting it pull too much focus from the story but investing you more in the characters you have!
Talking it over with the team now we certainly are very likely to start taking the game in a more "romance-y" direction (A lot more interactions with the crew that aren't fully story focused) but we will still be sticking with the single female protagonist rather than a gender you can swap out.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Hexiliath [Sci-fi] [Adventure] [Turn-Based Combat]

#7 Post by Zelan »

1: Do any of the characters intrigue you? Would you like to know more about a specific one?: Venix is interesting just because she's got all that missing information. I'm guessing she's not human? So either sort sort of AI or an alien would be my two guesses. Also Annabelle is cute and I love her.

2: We noticed a lack of sci-fi VNs when doing our research; how do you feel about an adventure-based sci-fi game compared to more traditional settings and elements?: I'm down. It's probably my second-favorite genre next to fantasy of any sort.

3: Turn-based strategy will be a large portion of the game. Is this idea appealing to you? Should we have multiple difficulties? Should we give players the option of skipping combat altogether?: I like the idea very much, but I think it's always a good idea to have varying difficulty levels AND have the gameplay be skippable, if possible. The simple fact of it is that you'll attract more players that way. Say you have three modes: No Gameplay, Easy, and Normal. The people who just want to read the flippin' story, dangit, will be pleased with No Gameplay mode, the people who like gameplay will play Normal mode, and the people in between will play easy mode. This could be people who played No Gameplay mode, loved it, and want to revisit the game with a challenge; it could be people who like gameplay but lack confidence in their skills; point is, it'll cover all your bases.

JessieK

#8 Post by JessieK »

Zelan wrote:1: Do any of the characters intrigue you? Would you like to know more about a specific one?: Venix is interesting just because she's got all that missing information. I'm guessing she's not human? So either sort sort of AI or an alien would be my two guesses. Also Annabelle is cute and I love her.

2: We noticed a lack of sci-fi VNs when doing our research; how do you feel about an adventure-based sci-fi game compared to more traditional settings and elements?: I'm down. It's probably my second-favorite genre next to fantasy of any sort.

3: Turn-based strategy will be a large portion of the game. Is this idea appealing to you? Should we have multiple difficulties? Should we give players the option of skipping combat altogether?: I like the idea very much, but I think it's always a good idea to have varying difficulty levels AND have the gameplay be skippable, if possible. The simple fact of it is that you'll attract more players that way. Say you have three modes: No Gameplay, Easy, and Normal. The people who just want to read the flippin' story, dangit, will be pleased with No Gameplay mode, the people who like gameplay will play Normal mode, and the people in between will play easy mode. This could be people who played No Gameplay mode, loved it, and want to revisit the game with a challenge; it could be people who like gameplay but lack confidence in their skills; point is, it'll cover all your bases.
Thanks very much for the feedback, we will likely be putting in a no gameplay mode, along with 3 tiers of difficulty if we can so your feedback has helped a ton! I'm also glad to hear you enjoy the sci-fi setting!
As for Venix yeah you'll learn about her as the story goes on for sure!

JessieK

#9 Post by JessieK »

Progress Update

Hey everyone! Just wanted to let you know: we are always working on Hexiliath and our thoughts go to it almost daily. Today, we’d like to give you a taste of what’s to come as thanks for your patience. The demo is on its way, and we’re all very excited!

I’d first like to present a map of the known galaxy. All of these planets are named and have vibrant backstories that can be explored through a series of unlockable data entries in the full game’s glossary. A theme of grandness is pivotal for our world, so creating a galaxy that feels both unique and fully populated was a definite objective of ours. To note this is just the layout, the map in Hexiliath is gong to be 3D so you can click around and zoom in on each planet

Battle lines rage and loyalties are tested in the Empire’s civil war. All of this will be explored in greater detail, but if you’d like to know a bit more, I’d be happy to tell you!
As a quick key:
Green = An unrevealed faction
Orange = Empress Alinaras faction
Blue = Prince Laymiriths Faction
And Grey is the Outerim which is where Norra is from.

Next up, we would like to reveal more crew members, allies, and enemies who will be familiar faces in our campaign. We hope you enjoy them. (I've also added these to the main post!)

We are truly excited for this project and can’t wait to give you further updates! The demo is fast approaching, so it’s doubtful the wait will be long. We hope you've enjoyed all you've seen and as always any feedback you want to leave would be awesome to read!

Next update:
An example of the 3D map!
A quick show of what turn based gameplay will look like
And a preview of our new backgrounds thanks to our new background artist
- See you there!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#10 Post by Zelan »

I like the map. c: I'm interested in that one orange planet in the middle of the grey ones.

Rachelle is also adorable (although Annabelle's still my fave).

Amberbaum
Regular

#11 Post by Amberbaum »

A story-driven, turn based combat , sci-fi VN? Oh yes. More Sci-fi VNs please.

May I make a suggestion? The map looks very rudimentary and I guess it's supposed to be a placeholder? If you need some inspiration, why not look up sci-fi space-flight games such as EVE online etc.

JessieK

#12 Post by JessieK »

Zelan wrote:I like the map. c: I'm interested in that one orange planet in the middle of the grey ones.

Rachelle is also adorable (although Annabelle's still my fave).
Haha maybe we did post the map a little early! (Still getting the hang of this sorta thing I dunno what's okay to post :P) As I said we hope with the power of Unity to be able to make the map fully 3D and interactive, but our goal for now is sorting combat before we head to anything like that, thank you for your kind words about Rachelle, Annabelle is probably my fav to draw and write though!

This is the sort of thing we will have showing on the map screen:

(An example!)
Amberbaum wrote:A story-driven, turn based combat , sci-fi VN? Oh yes. More Sci-fi VNs please.

May I make a suggestion? The map looks very rudimentary and I guess it's supposed to be a placeholder? If you need some inspiration, why not look up sci-fi space-flight games such as EVE online etc.
Yeah it's without a doubt a placeholder, it's more to show a layout more than the art direction, it was created by our writer Rose rather than me, I'm still touching up a few characters. The EVE maps mind you look amazing I might have to steal some ideas there!

In other news the CGs in game are coming along nicely

WIP: