Cooking with RWBY [Android][educational][comedy][Fan work]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Cooking with RWBY [Android][educational][comedy][Fan work]

#1 Post by Imperf3kt »

Hey there. I guess it's about time I posted in here since I've already released a sample of something I've had in mind for a while.

First, before I get too far into this, I'd like to clarify that this thread is mostly being created for feedback. I'd like your opinions and perhaps suggestions on things I've done, or should do as well as just general comments.
I also intend to use this thread as a way of communicating updates and posing questions regarding anything I think may warrant feedback on, either before or after I've implemented it.

So what is "Cooking with RWBY", well, as you can guess from the title, it is a fan made project based on the web animation "RWBY", or more accurately, "RWBY Chibi", a spin-off of RWBY with a second season planned for next month.
Now, I am aware that "RWBY" is property of RoosterTeeth Productions, LLC. However, according to their Content Usage Guidelines, I am perfectly at my leisure to create this work.

What does Cooking with RWBY aim to achieve?
Cooking with RWBY was made with the intention of being an Android app for children and young adults.
The idea was to parody the show's protagonist, Ruby Rose, and her extreme fondness of cookies (or at least her blown-out-of-proportion-by-the-fans-because-of-a-single-scene, love of cookies). Building upon this, I thought how interesting it would be to have a cookbook of sorts, on a smartphone with which you could also interact and view skits concerning the recipes within.

This "app", would have two modes;
  • Game Mode, whereby a user can view the skits and unlock them by completing certain tasks, or some other, as of yet, undefined objective.
  • Cooking Mode, in which the skits are removed and all recipes are available as a list of ingredients and a set of instructions on preparation.
Appropriately, I checked the US copyright office's take on copyright with regards to recipes, https://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl122.html
It states,
Copyright law does not protect recipes that are mere listings of ingredients. Nor does it protect other mere listings of ingredients such as those found in formulas, compounds, or prescriptions. Copyright protection may, however, extend to substantial literary expression—a description, explanation, or illustration, for example—that accompanies a recipe or formula or to a combination of recipes, as in a cookbook.
In other words, provided I do not copy a recipe verbatim and instead express the instructions with my own creative reasoning, I may include pretty much any recipe I want to, no matter the source.

In addition to these two modes, there are included several options that a 'normal' Visual Novel might have.
These include achievements, an image gallery and of course, credits and copyright information.

So without wasting too much more of anyone's time, I have available a version 0.02 alpha build. I call it this, because I am not ready for it to be in beta, since I am still adjusting the GUI and there is no content to beta test yet.

I'd appreciate any feedback, tips or suggestions anyone may have.

NOTE:
To install this app, you will need an Android device (preferably a smartphone) running on OS version 4.0 or later. You will also need to allow installing from unknown sources. The exact wording may differ on your phone model, but this option should be under the security options found in your phone's settings.

Android: https://mega.nz/#!ZMF32IoZ!CgyjTUYVgtpg ... uneq6LhVeQ
PC (Windows and Linux): https://mega.nz/#!1dNEiBDL!usgNrLJEPTUO ... aSeFThs66M

While in game on a touchscreen device, you can bring up the menu by pulling down, then up with one finger. About 1/3rd of the screen should suffice.

I'd like to remind everybody that all information contained within is purely fictional (for the moment). Do not attempt to cook pancakes until your curtains are on fire! Many features are still a work in progress and as such, are only included for testing purposes.
Attachments
Readme.txt
v0.02a readme
(1.5 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
Last edited by Imperf3kt on Wed May 09, 2018 1:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Cooking with RWBY [Android][educational][comedy][Fan wor

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

I've been optimising parts of the navigation.
v0.04a includes a completely changed look, the credit screen centering issues have been resolved and several other minor bug fixes in addition to the main menu changes introduced in v0.03a

Download: https://mega.nz/#!oZ1nHTLI!U2hxEXG9ad3_ ... DmoBvJlahg

ImageImage

Twitter

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Imperf3kt »

Cooking with RWBY v0.05a has been exported to a PC + Linux installer, and a mac installer.
There will not be an android version of 0.05a

v0.05a Brings minor navigational optimisations but also introduces a small bug depending on where you return to from within the screens.
This will be addressed in future releases.

Additionally, work has begun on "Game mode".
A short, unfinished 'skit' has been added (though it is merely dialogue at this point in time)
With this comes the addition of the game's first Achievement, "Why are we here?"

The PC version varies slightly from the Android version, most notably in the quick menu.
This will eventually be addressed.

The PC/Linux version can be found here:
https://mega.nz/#!tI1V1RLZ!pi4Ie3CkBWKV ... 1aNb2iKCwU
Or, the Mac version here:
https://mega.nz/#!4R1AALyT!ipkWsFVGsN6M ... qTEaS_jNJs

Please note: The developer only owns Windows based PCs and cannot test, and thus cannot guarantee, proper performance on Linux or Mac.
By downloading this software, you agree that you won't flip tables should it not work as expected on your OS of choice.

Twitter

juunishi master
Regular
Organization: Linemancer Works
itch: juunishi-master

#4 Post by juunishi master »

One big question: why portrait screen?

I downloaded version 0.03, because I didn't read the second post and I noticed ... flickering white lines on the screen (???). It's not that bad, but it's noticeable.

It's probably due to hardware issue, though, since I installed it in Nexus 7.

Will be waiting for further updates. *thumbs up*

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Imperf3kt »

I chose portrait view because currently Ren'Py does either Portrait or Landscape, but not both.
I could let it rotate, but it letterboxes things.

I also have some planned content that will require the space above the characters.

Thanks for taking an interest though! I've been overworked IRL recently, so I've not had a chance to update this with much recently, but I plan to add another prototype build sometime within 2 weeks. If I can manage to get around to what I want, this next update should add a reasonable amount of content to 'Game Mode' as well as hopefully prepare the UI for Cooking mode.

I appreciate the feedback about the white lines. I can't say whats causing that, but I'll try to find out if I can.
It doesn't happen on my testing device, so I appreciate you pointing it out.

I'll tidy up the OP when I release 0.06a. I didn't consider that somebody may miss the next post, that was my mistake.

Twitter

juunishi master
Regular
Organization: Linemancer Works
itch: juunishi-master

#6 Post by juunishi master »

Don't mind the white lines for now. It's probably the device. Nexus 7 can't even handle image larger than 2048x2048. :)) I just like to install VNs there because of its large screen.

*high five for busy IRL*

Take your time, take your time.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Cooking with RWBY [Android][educational][comedy][Fan work]

#7 Post by Imperf3kt »

Well, one year later. Ahem...

Todo: restructure first post.

Anyway, I'd taken a bit of a break from this but have finally returned to it. I present to you the minor improvements I have made based on things I have learnt over the past year and the help of countless lemmasoft forum posts.
I admit, I am using an old version of Ren'Py - this is because newer versions don't export to Android and I forgot how to fix that particular issue. I'll update sooner or later though, promise!

This time I'll be posting both a PC version and an Android .apk
So, without further ado, here is build 0.06 alpha with minor improvements and a few features changed.
Plans for the next version include complete overhaul of the main menu structure, so the next version may be 0.1 - no promises though.

Android: https://mega.nz/#!ZMF32IoZ!CgyjTUYVgtpg ... uneq6LhVeQ
PC (Windows and Linux): https://mega.nz/#!1dNEiBDL!usgNrLJEPTUO ... aSeFThs66M

While in game on a touchscreen device, you can bring up the menu by pulling down, then up with one finger. About 1/3rd of the screen should suffice.

Finally, I'd like to remind everybody that all information contained within is purely fictional (for the moment). Do not attempt to cook pancakes until your curtains are on fire! Many features are still a work in progress and as such, are only included for testing purposes.

Twitter