[UPDATED DEMO]1st Degree [BxB][Crime/Drama/Romance]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Parival
Regular
Projects: 1st Degree
Organization: Parival, LLC
Tumblr: ParivalGames
itch: parival

[UPDATED DEMO]1st Degree [BxB][Crime/Drama/Romance]

#1 Post by Parival »

UPDATED DEMO NOW AVAILABLE
A city on edge as a serial killer roams the streets...

Frustrated by one unsolved murder after another, forensics graduate student Rei Kuroshima decides to get his hands dirty to solve the crimes. He resolves to copy the killings to chase the serial killer known as "the Doctor" in order to figure out how the murders were accomplished. Although, he begins to develop certain... urges. Along with his supervisor Aiden Steele, a detective oblivious to Rei’s identity as the copycat killer, he must piece together a trail of evidence to uncover the identity of “the Doctor.” At school, however, Rei must also maintain his normal student life while dealing with his desire to kill, leading him to the ultimate choice - Who will he choose to love, and who will he resolve to kill?

Rei is an orphan with an affinity for all things science. He’s a 1st year graduate student with a focus on Forensics at Teikoku University. Rei enjoys staying busy: he’s a Peer Leader for a Forensics Psychology lecture, a part-time crime forensicist at a crime agency, and a home tutor. Although, there’s nothing more exciting to Rei than being able to solve a difficult case. But what will happen when the case doesn’t present any answers? To Rei, it means getting his hands dirty…
Aiden is an all-American boy who is Rei’s supervisor at the Crime Agency. He is a homicide detective and accompanies Rei to the crime scenes whenever a murder occurs. He is in charge of both the main cases in this story: Doctor’s Case and Copycat’s Case. Aiden is a widower of five years and has been struggling to quit smoking ever since. He often daydreams about his murdered wife, whose case has yet to be solved. Slowly, he’s starting to open up to Rei about his past. Aiden is extremely tough on Rei, as he tries desperately to keep his distance from anything too personal by maintaining a strict supervisor/employee relationship.
Jun is a professor at Teikoku University. He is in charge of the Forensics Psychology course that Rei is the peer leader for, though he often lets Rei teach instead of himself. He is also the professor for multiple human anatomy courses at the school. Jun is in charge of managing the university hospital as well as the morgue and crematorium associated with it. He often toys around with Rei and teases him almost everyday. The two of them had a brief physical relationship in the past, which Jun attempts to rekindle at any possible moment. He is a highly secretive man, but generally allows Rei to get close to him during the day.
Minami is a tiny little sunspot. He was raised in a normal, happy family with his two kid brothers. He goes to a highly esteemed high school and is being tutored by Rei to enter Teikoku University for veterinary medicine. Minami tries to make himself seem more manly than he actually is, like working part time to rent his own cheap apartment, learning how to cook from Rei, and even wanting to live on his own to “grow up.” Minami loves spending time with Rei, even though Rei often treats him like he’s a pain in the ass. Minami is a little bit of an airhead and super clumsy, which often makes Rei irritated. However, Minami wants nothing more than to get closer to Rei.
Griffith is quite reserved and calm in nature, though developed a small, internal rebellious streak while in high school (as seen by his piercings). He was born and raised by his father in America after his parents divorced when he and his twin brother, Leo, were born. He’s a 2nd year law student with a concentration in forensics at Teikoku University and is currently Rei’s student in the Forensics Psychology course. Griffith enjoys spending his free time with his elder twin brother, though that time spent is mainly just being teased by Leo or… maybe teasing Leo instead?
Leo is a 2nd year criminal psychology student at Teikoku University and is Rei’s student in the forensics psychology course, along with his brother Griffith. Unlike his brother, Leo is the wild one. He’s eccentric, and far more forward than his brother. He was born in America but raised in England with his mother when his parents divorced. Leo loves to tease his younger brother but often finds himself receiving the tail end of his game later in the evening at their apartment.

Mido is a bit of a know-it-all and acts like his jokes are the most hilarious things he hears all day. He’s a dork and a bit of an airhead as well. Mido works at the same crime agency as Rei and is also involved in both the Doctor’s case and the Copycat killer’s case as Rei’s assistant forensic scene investigator. He often jokes and teases Rei during the work day, he may even harbor some innocent feelings towards Rei that are never noticed.
A law professor at Teikoku university who is often seen hanging over Jun. Daichi is a married man with three young children. He is considered to be a gruff and cold professor, though he’s nice to Jun and goes out drinking with him every other week.

Kii
Owner: Rei
Given to Rei by Jun. She's an indoor cat and spends most of her time sleeping and waiting for Rei to come home from his busy schedule.

Goomie and Cinnabunny
Owner: Minami
Minami has always owned small animals, but something about little lops always gets him!

-----------------------------------------------------

1st Degree is a boy's love game in development by Parival, a recently created visual novel development team focused on boy's love visual novels. The game will feature 4 routes- Aiden, Jun, Minami, and the twins Griffith and Leo- but, Rei will eventually kill off at least 3 characters. Choose who will live, who will die,
and who will end up with Rei!
Paradise - Founder/Script Writer/Character Artist
Quill - Co-writer
Jake - CG Artist
GlassHeart - BG Artist
Top Hat Studios - Coder
Irlana - Graphic Designer
Chemist - Music Producer

SOCIAL MEDIA/WEBSITES
Please follow us on our social media for updates!
Twitter
Tumblr
Instagram
Public Discord
Itch.io

CONTACT INFO
e-mail: parivalgames@gmail.com
discord: Paradise#2465
  • Is the plot intriguing to you?
  • What are you looking forward to from this project?
  • Does the GUI example look appealing to you?
  • What characters are you most interested in?
  • Would you be interested if this VN includes science terms, or would you prefer scenes without incorporating the science?
  • What do you think of the music previews?
  • What kind of digital rewards would you be interested in backing for when this project goes on Kickstarter?
  • Do you have any suggestions/questions?
IF YOU PLAYED THE DEMO:
  • What is your first impression of the demo?
  • Is the GUI easy to navigate?
  • What is your opinion on the voices?
  • Are the characters what you expected? Is there anything about them that you didn't expect from their descriptions?
  • Did your favorite character change from before you played the demo? Who was your favorite before and after playing?
  • Any questions/comments/suggestions?

Last edited by Parival on Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:53 pm, edited 58 times in total.

infel
Veteran
Projects: Mark's Story(BxB(Reach for the Stars(GxG), Mermaid Sonata(GxG,NaNo16), Black Dale-Curse of the Scarlet Witch(Semi Hiatus), A Few Secret Games
Tumblr: lunarwingsgames

Re: 1st Degree [BxB] [Mystery/Suspense/Drama]

#2 Post by infel »

Is the plot intriguing to you?
Pretty much yeah. I liked the character and I someone who really loves crime mysteries, so this story sounds really interesting. I guess, and this is just me, I don't like how we'll have to kill three of the love interest since I like what i've read, but honestly that's quite unique. Kind of makes me wonder how it'll happen.

What are you looking forward to from this project?
A good mystery, drama, and boys love XD. I've only seen a few boys love games, so seeing more is really nice. Also there's not enough crime visual novels, so I hope it's done well in this. I am wondering though are you going to have a system like Ace Attorney when searching for evidence(if that's in the game)

What would you expect from this project?
Good story, characters, and mystery. I'm not hard to please though. Also cute romance scenes? I guess that's to obvious for a yaoi lover XD. I wouldn't mind intimate scenes, but they aren't needed for me to play.

What characters are you most interested in?
Aiden seems like someone I'd really like. I think he'd have a really interesting route. Also Jun. Really like his design along with Rei's =D.

Would you be interested if this VN includes science terms, or would you prefer scenes without incorporating the science?

Yes. I'm someone who likes Star Trek, so I would mind that at all.

Do you have any suggestions?

No, but I wish you guys the best of luck. We need more story based BxB games and this one fits the bill. Good luck =)
Please support my Twitter, Tumblr and Patreon

Patreon
https://www.patreon.com/user?u=885797&ty=h

Current Projects

A GxG game about overcoming your fears and growing up in an forever changing world. Also focuses on lesbian relationships and self image.

Mermaid Sonata- A game about mermaids, magic, and adventure

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 50&t=37512

robovelociraptor
Regular
Deviantart: robovelociraptor

#3 Post by robovelociraptor »

Yes! I already loved murder mysteries and dark romances, but knowing that you'll have to kill 3 or more of the characters makes it even more interesting. I think it adds a lot of weight to your actions as the player, makes you think a bit harder about the situation, rather than just having Rei kill certain characters automatically, depending on what route you chose. Anyway, it's a cool concept, certainly enough to reel me in.

Well, right off the bat, I love the art style, the characters look interesting, and I love the plot. So, I guess I'm looking forward to seeing all of that in VN form lol.

I don't know what you have planned exactly in terms of how information in relation to the killer is given out, but I'm expecting it to be spread out over the routes, so that the player has to play through all the routes (and kill every character, at least once) to find out everything. But thinking about this, it makes me curious, is there a 'true route?' Or is the killer revealed/captured in every good ending?

As I said, I'm interested in all the characters, but if I had to pick two it'd be Jun and Aiden. Personally, I think they have the most interesting relationships with Rei and are shrouded in the most mystery; I'd like to know more about them, for sure! (I also think it'd be interesting to see their reactions if they were to find out Rei is the copycat. :shock: )

...I'm just sad because I'll probably end up having to kill them all lol.

Would you be interested if this VN includes science terms, or would you prefer scenes without incorporating the science?

I think it'd be a great idea, makes it seem more realistic. If it's less commonplace knowledge, then maybe you should put in an in-game encyclopedia or something like that.

I don't really think this will be like this from what I've read of your synopsis and descriptions, but definitely don't gloss over murders and try to keep the main character relatable, even if he ends up killing characters the player likes. In other words, don't make it too "edgy." A focus on Rei's struggle against 'the monster within' and maybe even a desire to turn himself in/feelings of guilt or something, would be a great way to do this. I think a lot of the beauty of murder mysteries lies in the characters' reactions to events that happen, it helps to make it more immersive and evokes more of an emotional response from the player.

Parival
Regular

#4 Post by Parival »

infel wrote:Is the plot intriguing to you?
Pretty much yeah. I liked the character and I someone who really loves crime mysteries, so this story sounds really interesting. I guess, and this is just me, I don't like how we'll have to kill three of the love interest since I like what i've read, but honestly that's quite unique. Kind of makes me wonder how it'll happen.

I am wondering though are you going to have a system like Ace Attorney when searching for evidence(if that's in the game)

Good story, characters, and mystery. I'm not hard to please though. Also cute romance scenes? I guess that's to obvious for a yaoi lover XD. I wouldn't mind intimate scenes, but they aren't needed for me to play.
It's always painful to kill off something (or someone), but it makes for some pretty complicated and difficult decisions; which we hope you'll be able to enjoy process-wise.

We have a few ideas for a suspicion meter that will be affected by the player's decisions, but later on we might add a similar hidden object type of mechanic.

There will be plenty of romance! We plan on including going on dates with the characters (dates that fit their personality of course). Also quite a few intimate scenes for both the good and bad ends of each character.

Parival
Regular

#5 Post by Parival »

robovelociraptor wrote: What are you looking forward to from this project?

Well, right off the bat, I love the art style, the characters look interesting, and I love the plot. So, I guess I'm looking forward to seeing all of that in VN form lol.

I don't know what you have planned exactly in terms of how information in relation to the killer is given out, but I'm expecting it to be spread out over the routes, so that the player has to play through all the routes (and kill every character, at least once) to find out everything. But thinking about this, it makes me curious, is there a 'true route?' Or is the killer revealed/captured in every good ending?

I don't really think this will be like this from what I've read of your synopsis and descriptions, but definitely don't gloss over murders and try to keep the main character relatable, even if he ends up killing characters the player likes. In other words, don't make it too "edgy." A focus on Rei's struggle against 'the monster within' and maybe even a desire to turn himself in/feelings of guilt or something, would be a great way to do this. I think a lot of the beauty of murder mysteries lies in the characters' reactions to events that happen, it helps to make it more immersive and evokes more of an emotional response from the player.
Thank you! I'm glad you like the art thus far and are interested!

That'll just have to be a mystery for now! :wink:

There is no way the murders will be glossed over, as they are all essential to the plot. In regards to "the monster within" and "a desire to turn himself in," you may experience these in some of the routes!

shadowkazaki
Regular
Projects: Descendant of the Moon

#6 Post by shadowkazaki »

It's quite intriguing. I really like how Rei is the Copycat, it creates a real different feel for the story.

I can't wait to see how each character interacts with Rei. And how the two cases will create the link to Rei.

Actually being able to be like the detective and make choices toward the case. Another mystery game I played didn't really let you make any choices, only choose what suspects to talk to in what order.

Minami. He seems like a very cute and interesting person, getting to know him will be really nice. ^^

I'm fine with science terms, but having too much could be a bit overbearing for those that aren't familiar with scientific terms.

Possibly a term guide? Especially for those of us that aren't good with scientific terms.

parttimestorier
Veteran
Completed: No Other Medicine, Well Met By Moonlight, RE:BURN, The Light at the End of the Ocean, Take A Hike!, Wizard School Woes
Projects: Seeds of Dreams
itch: janetitor

#7 Post by parttimestorier »

Wow I'm super hyped for a good combination of BL and murder. :) It definitely sounds intriguing to me, and I think that other than Rei I'm most interested in Aiden, both for his lovely character art and his cool-sounding personality.

I agree with shadowkazaki that it would be great to have a glossary of some sort for scientific terms! I would personally really like to see the forensics and whatnot portrayed as accurately as possible, without dumbing down the language for the readers, but allowing players to easily look up definitions and stuff could be great for people who are less familiar with the terms.

Good luck with everything! Also, have you watched the TV show Hannibal? If you haven't, it could be a great source for inspiration, since it's also about a murderer and sure has a lot of chemistry between the male leads.
ImageImageImage

Parival
Regular

#8 Post by Parival »

shadowkazaki wrote: What would you expect from this project?
Actually being able to be like the detective and make choices toward the case. Another mystery game I played didn't really let you make any choices, only choose what suspects to talk to in what order.

Possibly a term guide? Especially for those of us that aren't good with scientific terms.
We do plan on having the player make certain decisions that will affect the plot as well as the endings within the routes!

There will be a glossary with the definitions of the terms we use in the script, that way the player will be able to understand the scene better. :D

Parival
Regular

#9 Post by Parival »

parttimestorier wrote: I agree with shadowkazaki that it would be great to have a glossary of some sort for scientific terms! I would personally really like to see the forensics and whatnot portrayed as accurately as possible, without dumbing down the language for the readers, but allowing players to easily look up definitions and stuff could be great for people who are less familiar with the terms.

Good luck with everything! Also, have you watched the TV show Hannibal? If you haven't, it could be a great source for inspiration, since it's also about a murderer and sure has a lot of chemistry between the male leads.
There will be a glossary! We decided at the start that it would be necessary if we were to write the script with scientific and medical accuracy. This way, the player will be able to understand that scene, and perhaps be more connected with Rei.

Thank you! I have not seen it, but it may be useful so I'll give it a try~

Parival
Regular

#10 Post by Parival »

THE TWINS ARE HERE

Sprites for Griffith and Leo have been finished! Please welcome the twins- Griffith is on the left and Leo is on the right.

MilanaWalters
Regular

#11 Post by MilanaWalters »

The art is very beautiful, but this killing 3 of possible love interests puts me off :( i wish we would be able to avoid it, like in some super good ending that hard to get or something.

Parival
Regular

#12 Post by Parival »

MilanaWalters wrote:The art is very beautiful, but this killing 3 of possible love interests puts me off :( i wish we would be able to avoid it, like in some super good ending that hard to get or something.
Of course we understand the dilemma of killing the love interests. However, with how we are structuring the plot, it is a required element. Every character will have a good and a bad ending though, so it will definitely be worth it to try to get with your favorite!

Even if you are not interested, thank you for your suggestion and comment! We will most likely do some downloadable content after the main VN is finished that will feature a more uplifting and bright concept. :)

Parival
Regular

#13 Post by Parival »

The new side characters section is now up with our first side character, Mido Suzuki! He works in the same department as Rei and Aiden.

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#14 Post by Hijiri »

Forensics major here so seeing my field come up in a VN is interesting to say the least.
It is, but I certainly find it odd that a forensic scientist (going by Rei's profile) is actively working on the case, and not a detective (which Aiden is) or even a forensic investigator. All of these positions are very much different.
There's also wondering what train of thought Rei was having when he went "Oh, I can't solve this the old fashioned way. SO LET ME GIVE IT A GO!" although the rest of the synopsis implies Rei's a sociopath, which would explain it. But still, that took some inferring. You might wanna rewrite it to
An interesting mystery with a side of gay love. Or a slow descent into madness for our protagonist as his psyche breaks down and he kills those around him becoming no better than the serial killer. Either or is fine.
I'll be honest, I'm probably expecting something like Hannibal (i.e. villain protagonist) and not Law and Order or CSI.
Rei is interesting if only because he comes off as a sociopath (because, as I said, what sane person just up and starts a copycat serial killing). Aiden and Jun are also interesting, if only because I like their appearance. Though that may be because I'm an ojicon.
I would. Then again, I'm biased since I would actually understand some of the jargon involved with forensics. A helpful thing would be including a glossary which explains the more complex terms.
Like I said above, maybe rewriting the synopsis since Rei's listed position isn't the right one fore someone actually working on a case and not just working the evidence. I don't know how much experience you may have with the actual field, but if you're doing research, I would recommend the book Forensic Speak since it explains how the field is presented on TV, in movies, and in books, and provides great explanations for different things.
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

Lesleigh63
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: House of Dolls; Lads in Distress - Nano'16; Delusion Gallery Nano'18
Projects: BL VN
Deviantart: Lesleigh63

#15 Post by Lesleigh63 »

I love the look of the sprites.

What worries me is I may not like the main character Rei - he is after all a murderer. It will be interesting to see how you make him a sympathetic character.

Love those twins and Aiden does it for me as well :)