Phantom Ban Detective Agency [GxB/GxG] [Paranormal/Mystery]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Obento Mori
Tumblr: ObentoMori
Deviantart: ObentoMori
Soundcloud: ObentoMori
itch: ObentoMori

Phantom Ban Detective Agency [GxB/GxG] [Paranormal/Mystery]

#1 Post by Obento Mori »

A paranormal mystery visual novel by Obento Mori

Twitter | Tumblr

We are now on Kickstarter!

Play the DEMO!
Plot

Phantom Ban Detective Agency centers around Riley and Dameon; two high school detectives that fight strange beings known as Phantoms. Phantoms are summoned unconsciously by people known as Espers through their strong inner desires, and emotional trauma. These phantoms act to fulfill these desires and wreak havoc on their victim’s minds. Together they fight to protect their school and solve a strange mystery involving a forgotten friend.

You can find more information on our Kickstarter.

Characters

The Team

Progress towards demo
The demo is complete! Play it HERE.

Why we posted

Hello and welcome to our first full length visual novel project!

We are Obento Mori a small team working towards creating quality content and creating a community around our works. We hope that by sharing our progress with game dev communities we will receive support, feedback and advice on how we can proceed.

If there is anything you guys can offer please don't hesitate to share with us. We are aiming to update our status on these websites: Twitter | Tumblr
Facebook coming soon~

Character design, Sprites, CGs, Project lead: Sky
Programmer, Project lead: Arti
Writer:SundownKid
Backgrounds: Xand
Music: Alec Shea

Our current questions:

What do you guys think?
Advice for how we can improve?
Best/preferred social media?
How can we get more people to see this project?
What are things we can do to generate more interest for our project?

Thank you so much for stopping by!
Last edited by Obento Mori on Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:56 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Obento Mori

Re: Phantom Ban Detective Agency [GxB/GxG] [Paranormal/Myste

#2 Post by Obento Mori »

Demo Progress Update

Planning: 100%
Writing: 100%
Sprites:90%
CGs: 20%
BGs: 100%
Music: 33%
GUI: 0%

CrystalCali
Projects: Haunted: Case 1
Deviantart: Crystal Cali

#3 Post by CrystalCali »

Hiya! I don't have answers to all your questions since I'm working on my first project myself, but I'll give it a shot. I think your premise is fantastic! I love supernatural/mystery games (that's the theme of the game I'm working on as well.) I prefer to use Twitter or Instagram myself for quick updates, and longer updates I post on Newgrounds or Deviant Art. The more places you can post your stuff, the better! Also, just posting progress regularly, or semi-regularly helps. I pretty much just know the basics when it comes to networking.
Other than that, I think you guys have a pretty good thing going here. The art style is great, and your characters seem to have distinct personalities, which also makes things more interesting. Anyways, hope this helped, or was a little encouraging in any case.

parttimestorier
Veteran
Completed: No Other Medicine, Well Met By Moonlight, RE:BURN, The Light at the End of the Ocean, Take A Hike!, Wizard School Woes
Projects: Seeds of Dreams
itch: janetitor

#4 Post by parttimestorier »

I really like the art so far, especially the really cool purple flames around the title! Sounds like a fun concept as well. For your preferred social media question, I'm happy to see that you guys have tumblr, since that's the platform I've been using to write a bit about VNs recently, so it's useful for me to be able to follow other fans and developers on there. I've also been noticing Discord getting more and more popular in general, and I'm on several VN-related servers there (including the official Ren'Py one), so you might want to look into that as another platform for getting in touch with other devs and community members! One developer I know even made her own discord server specifically for people who backed her kickstarter to join, which I really liked, since it meant I immediately got updates if I was online and I could give her input and feel like I was really a part of the project. :) Good luck with everything!
ImageImageImage

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by gekiganwing »

Obento Mori wrote:Phantom Ban Detective Agency centers around Riley and Dameon; two high school detectives that fight strange beings known as Phantoms.

A lot of people will probably compare your story to the Persona series. It started over twenty years ago as an offshoot of the larger Megami Tensei franchise. The games from Persona 1 onward have focused on present-day settings, characters attending schools, a struggle against supernatural evil, and Carl Jung's notions of persona and shadows. That said... think about how your story will compare with the series in a positive ways, as well as what will set it apart.
Obento Mori wrote:Phantoms are summoned unconsciously by people known as Espers through their strong inner desires, and emotional trauma. These phantoms act to fulfill these desires and wreak havoc on their victim’s minds.
How many people in your fictional universe have extrasensory perception? Do all ESPers have the same level of strength? Or are there degrees to which a person has this ability?

What can a person do to fight a phantom? Do they use weapons? Wits? Magic? Something else? Do they need to help the person in order to weaken the phantom?

I assume that most people in your story do not believe that the occult is real. If so, then it would make sense that no adult characters are currently hunting phantoms. However, what would happen if there was suddenly tough-to-deny proof that extrasensory perception and phantoms exist? (For instance, the 1984 movie Ghostbusters ends with a summoned creature causing quite a bit of destruction in public. The logical result of this scene is "ghosts and supernatural evil are definitely real." The sequel should have addressed this.)
Obento Mori wrote:What do you guys think? Advice for how we can improve?
The characters' names are really on the nose. They describe either who the person is, or their current interest. That can work in a whimsical universe, but if your story will be violent or horrifying, the names might seem out of place. Consider whether you'll benefit by using less punny, descriptive names. As an alternative, show what the characters think of their names. Maybe Dameon is proud of his, and he's glad to be a hunter. Maybe Allie would prefer to known as Allison, except for people who she trusts.
Obento Mori wrote:What are things we can do to generate more interest for our project?
That's a good question. Who do you want your story to appeal to? Think about who will like your art, pacing, themes, and so on. Does it appeal to just one group of the four quadrants? Is there any form of complex gameplay?

Things which could potentially set your project apart:

* A story which leaves readers thinking. Consider what you want to say. I'm not sure _how_ to create a story that leaves an impression on the reader, but I've been fortunate to experience some memorable ones. You might benefit from watching a video from Rant and Bollox which encourages people to think of superhero movies in terms other than "cool guys and looking at explosions."

* A distinct art style that fits your story. Maybe it could look more realistic or cartoonish. Or you could study the work of an OJL comic artist and think about what they did well. Throw a dart at any of the House of 1000 Manga articles, and you'll probably find a discussion about a notable title, creator, or genre.

* Keep up the pace. I don't think you'll benefit by tacking on chase scenes or battle scenes. Instead, make sure every scene contributes to the story, and leave unnecessary parts on the cutting room floor. Include conversations only if they are dramatically necessary.

Obento Mori

#6 Post by Obento Mori »

CrystalCali wrote:Hiya! I don't have answers to all your questions since I'm working on my first project myself, but I'll give it a shot. I think your premise is fantastic! I love supernatural/mystery games (that's the theme of the game I'm working on as well.) I prefer to use Twitter or Instagram myself for quick updates, and longer updates I post on Newgrounds or Deviant Art. The more places you can post your stuff, the better! Also, just posting progress regularly, or semi-regularly helps. I pretty much just know the basics when it comes to networking.
Other than that, I think you guys have a pretty good thing going here. The art style is great, and your characters seem to have distinct personalities, which also makes things more interesting. Anyways, hope this helped, or was a little encouraging in any case.
Sorry for my slow reply and thank you for yours! I appreciate your insight as well as for the kind words :) It was very encouraging to hear! I actually just made an instagram account today and it seems to be going well! Thank you for ideas on where to post ~ I wish you the best of luck with yours! The more visual novels the merrier
parttimestorier wrote:I really like the art so far, especially the really cool purple flames around the title! Sounds like a fun concept as well. For your preferred social media question, I'm happy to see that you guys have tumblr, since that's the platform I've been using to write a bit about VNs recently, so it's useful for me to be able to follow other fans and developers on there. I've also been noticing Discord getting more and more popular in general, and I'm on several VN-related servers there (including the official Ren'Py one), so you might want to look into that as another platform for getting in touch with other devs and community members! One developer I know even made her own discord server specifically for people who backed her kickstarter to join, which I really liked, since it meant I immediately got updates if I was online and I could give her input and feel like I was really a part of the project. :) Good luck with everything!
I'm happy to hear you like the art! Our artists working on the game are all super talented in my opinion so i'm happy others would agree! We're actually starting to look into discord more as well but i'm not entirely sure what servers would be good? I followed a few from reddit so hopefully that works out but if you have any you'd suggest I'd love to know of them! Having a specific discord for updates sounds like a great idea as well, thank you for letting us know!

pigionsdeliver
Regular
Projects: SSWK, TWA, SDS: The Tail Makes the Fox
itch: pigionsdeliver

#7 Post by pigionsdeliver »

Whoever made your company's logo did a very good job. I wonder if it's inspired by murakami... it's what actually attracted me to take a look at your game.
The first few lines were not as strong as they could be in my opinion. Namely, I felt I've read/seen it before but your plot summary sells your game far better than those first few lines, it was intriguing and introduced players to key concepts that will make them want to play and find out more. First impressions are important and you make a very good first impression with your graphics and logos, they are fun and engaging. I'd love for everything to feel like that.

Follow sucessful VNs. I often like to go through the history of a social media site and see what posts got the most attention which ones didn't. It's about knowing your audience and networking with those who already have one. I find tumblr is great for "investigating" your audience because it tracks the movement of posts quite well.

Obento Mori

#8 Post by Obento Mori »

pigionsdeliver wrote:Whoever made your company's logo did a very good job. I wonder if it's inspired by murakami... it's what actually attracted me to take a look at your game.
The first few lines were not as strong as they could be in my opinion. Namely, I felt I've read/seen it before but your plot summary sells your game far better than those first few lines, it was intriguing and introduced players to key concepts that will make them want to play and find out more. First impressions are important and you make a very good first impression with your graphics and logos, they are fun and engaging. I'd love for everything to feel like that.

Follow sucessful VNs. I often like to go through the history of a social media site and see what posts got the most attention which ones didn't. It's about knowing your audience and networking with those who already have one. I find tumblr is great for "investigating" your audience because it tracks the movement of posts quite well.
Thank you for your time as well as your thoughts on our post! I also really enjoy the logo ;; our lead artist is super talented ~ I'll have to ask him what inspired it though! I will have to do a better job of looking out for successful VN posts or just successful promoting posts in general~ it'd be great if our game makes it past this initial phase! Thank you kindly once again <3

Obento Mori

#9 Post by Obento Mori »

Our demo is now complete! If anyone feels like giving it a shot you can find it here
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ob ... reator_nav

Xand
Regular

#10 Post by Xand »

Obento Mori

#11 Post by Obento Mori »

Xand wrote:Image
Thank you for the luck and the adorable drawing quq

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

#12 Post by Katy133 »

What do you guys think?
I just finished playing the demo, and I have to say, I haven't gotten this excited for an upcoming visual novel in quite a while! :D

I love the overall design, I found the characters interesting, the mystery intriguing, and I think the animated effects really add polish and professionalism to the demo.

Advice for how we can improve?
Right now, the demo does not include things like choices or detective work the player can do. Kickstarter demos generally should also act as a vertical slice for the game and illustrate a little bit of all the game's features.

Best/preferred social media?
I prefer Twitter for updates. Tumblr is also good (for longer update posts).

How can we get more people to see this project?
I think approaching media outlets that focus on EVNs, VNs, Detective games, Urban fantasy games, Kickstarter projects, and video games in general will help immensely to get the word out. Places like VNs Now have article sections where they will play a Kickstarter Demo and give their thoughts on it.

Actively look for a bunch of different people/groups who would be interested in backing or supporting your project. You're already on the right path by going on places like Twitter and Lemmasoft.

What are things we can do to generate more interest for our project?
There's a great book I read called "Crowd Funding for Filmmakers, 2nd Ed" by John T Trigonis. It's for filmmakers specifically, but it's got tips for Kickstarter projects in general. One of the chapters focused on several methods to use social media to play "Twitter games" with supporters and backers, which in turn got more people to hear about the KS project. It's similar to those "For each Like, I'll tell you one thing about myself"-type Tweets.

Good luck on your project! I really want to see it completed!
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!

Feinerine
Regular
Projects: Caladria Chronicles, Caladria Adventurers: Girls Side, Caladria Robotics
Organization: Starlight Visual
Deviantart: feinerine
Discord: Feinerine#2340

#13 Post by Feinerine »

Just wanted to say that I played the demo, and I thought the vn seemed like a nice lot of fun! I'm looking forward to the full version, I'll definitely play it when it gets released