壊れた心: Broken Minds [Mystery/Psychological]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
OddTillTheEnd
Regular
Completed: Broken Minds (2017), Prison of Lies (2019), Methods (2020), Catalyst Wake (2021)
Projects: JPDE2: Adagio of Darkness (Early access), Blankspace (2020), The Elevator Game with Catgirls
Organization: LockedOn Games
Soundcloud: OddTillTheEnd
itch: lockedon

壊れた心: Broken Minds [Mystery/Psychological]

#1 Post by OddTillTheEnd »

Broken Minds is a murder-mystery visual novel set in 90s Japan.

In the quiet city of Yamagata, Yamagata in Japan, a strange incident has occurred. Noa Karada, an unusual 22-year-old living alone, has her house set on fire. The only suspect? A person wearing a rabbit mask. Or is it a goat mask? Only the Yamagata Private Detective Agency will be able to solve the mystery!

Featuring:

• Explorable environments
• Inventive mystery-solving mechanics
• Many choices & hidden secrets throughout
• Six different endings
• An original soundtrack
• That indie game sense of humor you've come to know and love
• Intense rabbit-related imagery

Screenshots:

Now on Steam Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =614597952 ! (At least until Steam Greenlight is destroyed forever)

I'd appreciate any feedback you have on this description, and your first impression of the game in general. :)
Last edited by OddTillTheEnd on Fri May 19, 2017 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nuxill
Veteran
Projects: No Friend
Tumblr: nuxill
itch: nuxill

Re: 壊れた心: Broken Minds [Mystery/Psychological]

#2 Post by Nuxill »

I can't see any of the screenshots on this page? I don't know why, it might be my internet? I can see them just fine on the steam page though. It is a mystery....

The art style you're using for the characters is really neat! I don't know if it's intentional or not, but the 3d backgrounds give off a 90's 3D vibe? Which is perfect for the era you're going for.

OddTillTheEnd
Regular
Completed: Broken Minds (2017), Prison of Lies (2019), Methods (2020), Catalyst Wake (2021)
Projects: JPDE2: Adagio of Darkness (Early access), Blankspace (2020), The Elevator Game with Catgirls

#3 Post by OddTillTheEnd »

Nuxill wrote:I can't see any of the screenshots on this page? I don't know why, it might be my internet? I can see them just fine on the steam page though. It is a mystery....

The art style you're using for the characters is really neat! I don't know if it's intentional or not, but the 3d backgrounds give off a 90's 3D vibe? Which is perfect for the era you're going for.
Fixed! (I hope!)

Thanks a lot! Yes, that was definitely on my mind (and it was a good excuse to model a bunch of clunky old 90s computers). :)

— Odd.

Ertal77
Veteran
Completed: A Hand in the Darkness, Chasing the Stars, My Burning Heart, Blood and Lust, Lurkers, Jolly Roger, The Remainder, The Manor, Night and Day
Projects: Deep in the Forest and Exes Assault!!
Organization: Ertal Games
Tumblr: ertalgames
itch: ertal-games
Discord: Ertal#0394

#4 Post by Ertal77 »

Upvoted in Steam!

This game looks interesting and original, I'm looking forward to see more of it.
Do you like BL games? Then join Ertal Games' Discord!

OddTillTheEnd
Regular

#5 Post by OddTillTheEnd »

Ertal77 wrote:Upvoted in Steam!

This game looks interesting and original, I'm looking forward to see more of it.
Thanks for the upvote. :)

— Odd.

OddTillTheEnd
Regular

Greenlit!

#6 Post by OddTillTheEnd »

I've very happy to report that Broken Minds has been Greenlit, so an immense thank you to everyone who helped me get here. :)

Now I'm even more motivated to finish this (it's been 1 year, 8 months since I first began development).

Thanks again,
— Odd.

gammastre
Regular
Completed: Requiescence
Projects: Chess of Blades
Organization: Argent Games
Tumblr: argentgames
itch: argent-games

#7 Post by gammastre »

This sounds quite cool! The character art is great (reminds me of Hanged Dolls, which I love).

Can't say I'm a huge fan of the giant sketched arrows or other sketch gui parts on the first screenshot. They contrast a bit too much with the 3d backgrounds, and I can't figure out what the top right icon is. The rest of the gui (textbox area) looks great, as well as the minigame.

Keep up the good work and finish it! :D

Lacilia

#8 Post by Lacilia »

Reminds me of the art style from the band Gorillaz. So awesome!

OddTillTheEnd
Regular

#9 Post by OddTillTheEnd »

gammastre wrote:This sounds quite cool! The character art is great (reminds me of Hanged Dolls, which I love).

Can't say I'm a huge fan of the giant sketched arrows or other sketch gui parts on the first screenshot. They contrast a bit too much with the 3d backgrounds, and I can't figure out what the top right icon is. The rest of the gui (textbox area) looks great, as well as the minigame.

Keep up the good work and finish it! :D
Thank you for the feedback. :) I'll have to check out Hanged Dolls then, sounds like something I'd like.
The sketchy-ness is part of the aesthetic, but I get what you're saying, it does look a little sloppy (to say the least).
The top right icon is a map icon — it's animated to unfold, but yeah in its current state I can see how that would be unclear.
It's a pretty easy fix, so I'll be sure to address it.
Lacilia wrote:Reminds me of the art style from the band Gorillaz. So awesome!
Thanks! Jamie Hewlett is one of my favorite artists. :)

— Odd.

kistnerelizabeth
Regular

#10 Post by kistnerelizabeth »

Very unique art style. It definitely screams 90s. I love murder mystery games and am a 90s kid, so I'm very interested in trying out this game. Just have to say- I got a lot of Gorillaz vibes from your art, which is awesome. :)

OddTillTheEnd
Regular

#11 Post by OddTillTheEnd »

kistnerelizabeth wrote:Very unique art style. It definitely screams 90s. I love murder mystery games and am a 90s kid, so I'm very interested in trying out this game. Just have to say- I got a lot of Gorillaz vibes from your art, which is awesome. :)
Thanks! I'm excited for you to play it. :)

— Odd.