Golem Creation Kit[Fantasy, Humour] On Greenlight! New Demo!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Winterslice
Veteran
Completed: The Next World, Golem Creation Kit
Organization: Illuminated Games

Golem Creation Kit[Fantasy, Humour] On Greenlight! New Demo!

#1 Post by Winterslice »

Hi everyone! It's past time I did a proper announcement for my latest project, since we've just hit Steam Greenlight.

The game is Golem Creation Kit, a little story-driven pixel-art drag-and-drop crafting game inspired by titles like Papers, Please and Doodle God. It was made in Ren'Py in about 4 months, with me doing all code and writing, supported by some extremely talented artists and sound people.

You can check out the Greenlight page here for lots of colourful screenshots and a trailer, and if you like it, I hope you'll consider giving us a thumbs up!

A content-limited demo is now available for download, featuring 8 of our 25 golems and 3 days of the campaign. We hope you'll give it a try and perhaps even enjoy it!
Grab it here! (PC)
Grab it here for Mac!

PS. We are currently looking for playtesters. If you're interested, and would like to receive free Steam keys for GCK and other games we've made, send me a PM here or email ryan@golemcreationkit.com to express your interest.
Last edited by Winterslice on Sat May 27, 2017 4:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Scribbles
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pinewood Island, As We Know It
Projects: In Blood
Organization: Jaime Scribbles Games
Deviantart: breakfastdoodles
itch: scribbles

Re: Golem Creation Kit [Fantasy, Humour, Unique] On Greenlig

#2 Post by Scribbles »

ohhh that looks really cute. It reminds me of King's Quest (well... aesthetically anyway lol) voted! Good luck!
Image - Image -Image

Winterslice
Veteran

#3 Post by Winterslice »

Scribbles wrote:ohhh that looks really cute. It reminds me of King's Quest (well... aesthetically anyway lol) voted! Good luck!
Thanks so much! The goal was to be true to the style of the early-mid 90s, which is when most of my favourite games came out, in 256 glorious colours. The sounds and music are much the same as well. It's a labour of love and I really hope people end up liking it!

Ertal77
Veteran
Completed: A Hand in the Darkness, Chasing the Stars, My Burning Heart, Blood and Lust, Lurkers, Jolly Roger, The Remainder, The Manor, Night and Day
Projects: Deep in the Forest and Exes Assault!!
Organization: Ertal Games
Tumblr: ertalgames
itch: ertal-games
Discord: Ertal#0394

#4 Post by Ertal77 »

Upvoted! I LOVE that 90's feel of the first point and click games (Monkey Island came to my mind inmediately when I saw the screenshots!).
Do you like BL games? Then join Ertal Games' Discord!

Winterslice
Veteran

#5 Post by Winterslice »

Thanks to everyone for all the positive responses! We now have something that will communicate the game far better than any trailer or screenshot -- you can actually play it.

A content-limited demo is up for download, featuring 8 of our 25 golems and 3 days of the campaign.

Among other things, the final release will have two additional gameplay modes: Endless and Strip Mine. In Endless you can find out how far you can get with ever-more-difficult combinations of enemies; in Strip Mine, items do not regenerate day after day, forcing you to budget carefully even as you try to get the right combination of ingredients into your cauldron. And for a real challenge, you can enable them both...

We may even add an Ironman mode. Let us know if that's something you would want.

Here's hoping you'll give the demo a try and that you enjoy it!

Download it here! (PC)
Download it here for Mac!

Scribbles
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Golem Creation Kit[Fantasy, Humour] On Greenlight! New D

#6 Post by Scribbles »

how do you get out of the tutorial mode in the golem kit? There doesn't seem to be a way to progress if you select it as an option at the start.
Image - Image -Image

Winterslice
Veteran

#7 Post by Winterslice »

Scribbles wrote:how do you get out of the tutorial mode in the golem kit? There doesn't seem to be a way to progress if you select it as an option at the start.
What part are you stuck at? It should be fairly self-explanatory, keep dragging stuff until you reach the end.

Scribbles
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Scribbles »

Winterslice wrote: What part are you stuck at? It should be fairly self-explanatory, keep dragging stuff until you reach the end.
After dragging things around nothing happens. I rolled back and clicked to not do the tutorial and it ran fine after that > < I was just stuck in that screen and I couldn't get it to move on after I had clicked and moved everything around. Maybe I wasn't doing it right though.
Image - Image -Image

Winterslice
Veteran

#9 Post by Winterslice »

Scribbles wrote:
Winterslice wrote: What part are you stuck at? It should be fairly self-explanatory, keep dragging stuff until you reach the end.
After dragging things around nothing happens. I rolled back and clicked to not do the tutorial and it ran fine after that > < I was just stuck in that screen and I couldn't get it to move on after I had clicked and moved everything around. Maybe I wasn't doing it right though.
I'll make sure to add a bit more explanation to things, so it'll always be clear what to do.

It does look like I made a tiny error, giving a link to the wrong PC build... That definitely didn't help.

Winterslice
Veteran

#10 Post by Winterslice »

Okay, new build is up at the correct download link ( https://www.dropbox.com/s/2lbci7bdvnor9 ... c.zip?dl=0 ) which should hopefully fix any issues and add some quality of life improvements. Let me know if you have better luck with the tutorial this time!

Scribbles
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Scribbles »

yes that version works a lot better! It's such a cute game > < I really like the art and aesthetic. Building golems is fun too, i just wish there was more time to grab ingredients, the drag and drop can be a little clunky with the overly large elements and there were a few times where the item just appeared back in the inventory when I dragged it over to the cauldron vs burning up. otherwise the little demo seemed pretty solid! it's really cool how you managed something like this in Renpy.
Image - Image -Image

Winterslice
Veteran

#12 Post by Winterslice »

Scribbles wrote:yes that version works a lot better! It's such a cute game > < I really like the art and aesthetic. Building golems is fun too, i just wish there was more time to grab ingredients, the drag and drop can be a little clunky with the overly large elements and there were a few times where the item just appeared back in the inventory when I dragged it over to the cauldron vs burning up. otherwise the little demo seemed pretty solid! it's really cool how you managed something like this in Renpy.
Thanks for trying it out! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Regarding clunkiness, do you mean it's too easy to pick up large items and drop them in inventory? There's essentially two ways to 'drop' stuff -- based on mouse cursor position, or based on overlap with another image. Right now the drag-drop section is overlap-based, while the cauldron section is cursor-based. I could tinker with it and give you another version to try, if you wouldn't mind being a guinea pig?

I think my speciality at this point is making games that probably shouldn't be made in Ren'Py, but _can_.

Scribbles
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by Scribbles »

Winterslice wrote: Thanks for trying it out! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Regarding clunkiness, do you mean it's too easy to pick up large items and drop them in inventory? There's essentially two ways to 'drop' stuff -- based on mouse cursor position, or based on overlap with another image. Right now the drag-drop section is overlap-based, while the cauldron section is cursor-based. I could tinker with it and give you another version to try, if you wouldn't mind being a guinea pig?

I think my speciality at this point is making games that probably shouldn't be made in Ren'Py, but _can_.
By clunkiness I mean when I grab the larger element, like the water or trees, the image stays the same size and I have to move a large image into the small box and it just feels clunky? the mouse movement overall was a bit jerky, but perhaps that was just on my end for some reason? It might have just been because of the time limit, me trying to rush, and the code being a bit glitchy b/c of it? I am no programmer > < so I couldn't tell you why. I'm sorry.

I'd love to test it more for you, I'm a complete sucker for that aesthetic, I have a horribly strong nostalgia for old point and click adventure games LOL I'm not sure how insightful my comments about it would be though
Image - Image -Image