Toil and Trouble [Halloween Dating・Potion Creation Sim]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
minyan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Trial By Fire, Heartbaked, Ellaria, Plain, This My Soul, The Pretenders Guild
Projects: Arena Circus
Tumblr: minyanstudios
itch: harlevin

Re: 🕯 Toil and Trouble 🎃 [Halloween Dating Sim・Mix potions!

#16 Post by minyan »

runadial wrote:You guys are flying through extremely quickly! If I were to do the UI I probably would have done an orange kind of scheme for the hover... or maybe purple would be my preference! I like the little animations; it's very thematic but not distracting, too. I might not comment here much, but know that I am supporting it some way, somehow! Just don't work so fast that you actually end up tearing your hair out...

I'll look forward to more updates, even if I may not end up being able to buy this in the end, unless I end up doing testing or something more involving, then I guess only then will my heart and soul finally rest in peace that I can actually have a set-in-stone opportunity to play this game, haha.
I did end up adjusting it to purple!

Hi guys! So we've decided to do updates every other day, so we don't annoy you lol.

Art updates
Muffy is done!
Spoopy's lineart is done!
exline.png
The quick menu is done! Had some trouble with it, but finally got it in a place I like. I've also made a simple CTC animation! That little bubble inside the potion bottle moves in a circle
guiex2.png
Also, sneak peak of the settings screen!
guiex.png
And that's what I've been working on! I've been trying to get a lot done because, DUN DUN DUN, my webcomic's hiatus is officially over! Now that I have pages to draw, I'll probably be slower with the updates. I'll be posting a schedule here soon so you all can track our progress with us!
ImageImage

mitoky
Veteran
Projects: The Purring Demon's Love, circus eterie

#17 Post by mitoky »

This project looks very interesting, definitely will follow it! Good luck~

Averxy
Regular
Completed: Heartbaked, Ellaria: Cotton & Cream, Plain
Projects: Toil & Trouble, Twisted
Organization: fablesoft.itch.io
Tumblr: FablesoftStudios

#18 Post by Averxy »

mitoky wrote:This project looks very interesting, definitely will follow it! Good luck~
Thanks! I hope it's something that'll interest a lot of people. We're making good progress, too. :)
WIP: Toil & Trouble, Twisted
Check out Arena Circus, The Pretenders Guild, and Mnemonic Devices by Minyan!

Averxy
Regular
Projects: Toil & Trouble, Twisted
Organization: fablesoft.itch.io
Tumblr: FablesoftStudios

#19 Post by Averxy »

Three out of four of the side characters have been written, and I've started on Salem's route :) All is going well!
WIP: Toil & Trouble, Twisted
Check out Arena Circus, The Pretenders Guild, and Mnemonic Devices by Minyan!

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Trial By Fire, Heartbaked, Ellaria, Plain, This My Soul, The Pretenders Guild

#20 Post by minyan »

Art update

Spoopy is finished! That means all the love interest sprites are done! Next I'll be working on side characters.
ImageImage

LuckyCats
Regular

#21 Post by LuckyCats »

Hello (。・ω・。)

1. What do you think of the game overall? / 2. Does the gameplay entice you?

Your game looks really cool I love the idea of making potions and fantasy settings X3

3. Who's your favorite character?

Hard to choose I really like them all in diff ways. You've created some interesting characters.
I really like Abaddons design but were-cats are the best (he won me over at kitty may care honestly(≧∀≦)) and then there's Muffy who im intrigued by as well it's gonna be hard to choose which route first darn XD

4. What would you like to see from this game?

I think it could be cool if some of the potions had long lasting effects that influenced future events maybe.
A in game spell book and ingredient journal that fills in as you discover the recipes? Maybe with quirky descriptions of the ingredients/potions as you acquire them?

5. Would you support a kickstarter for this?
I cant at the moment but in the future I definitely would or if I couldn't I will surely buy the game later on :3

6. Any other comments?
The mcs eyes have no sclera is that a witch trait? Out of all of the cast she appears the most otherworldly lol not that that's a bad thing.

The achievement hats can you wear them after they are unlocked?

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran

#22 Post by minyan »

mitoky wrote:This project looks very interesting, definitely will follow it! Good luck~
Yay, thank you! Hope you continue to find it interesting as we continue forward. ^^
LuckyCats wrote:Hello (。・ω・。)

1. What do you think of the game overall? / 2. Does the gameplay entice you?

Your game looks really cool I love the idea of making potions and fantasy settings X3

3. Who's your favorite character?

Hard to choose I really like them all in diff ways. You've created some interesting characters.
I really like Abaddons design but were-cats are the best (he won me over at kitty may care honestly(≧∀≦)) and then there's Muffy who im intrigued by as well it's gonna be hard to choose which route first darn XD

4. What would you like to see from this game?

I think it could be cool if some of the potions had long lasting effects that influenced future events maybe.
A in game spell book and ingredient journal that fills in as you discover the recipes? Maybe with quirky descriptions of the ingredients/potions as you acquire them?

5. Would you support a kickstarter for this?
I cant at the moment but in the future I definitely would or if I couldn't I will surely buy the game later on :3

6. Any other comments?
The mcs eyes have no sclera is that a witch trait? Out of all of the cast she appears the most otherworldly lol not that that's a bad thing.

The achievement hats can you wear them after they are unlocked?

So glad to here this caught your interest! Looks like Salem is becoming a favorite xD Thanks for the suggestions, we're definitely planning to have books that fill up as you collect ingredients and create more potions! To answer your question about hats, yes, they will be wearable!

Also, I just wanted to give Autumn really big eyes, it's hard to see the sclera but they're there xD I'm glad it makes her look more 'otherworldly' x3

Thanks so much for the comment!
ImageImage

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran

#23 Post by minyan »

Min update!
Bebe's sprite is done! I'm going to do the lineart for another side character today, and finish them tomorrow. I'll keep up this pattern until all the sprites are done!

I've also finished the first of nine scenes for the last side character to be written for. I'm going to try and do one more today.

By the end of June, all the sprites will be done, and (if I can keep up) all the side character scenes will be done!
ImageImage

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran

#24 Post by minyan »

Min update!

Hi guys! So the writer who was helping me with another project had to pull out, which means I'll be doing all the writing. Because that one takes priority, assets Toil and Trouble will be a bit slower. I'll still be working on it of course, just not at hyper speed xD

Edit

On that note, Lawrence is done!
ImageImage

kistnerelizabeth
Regular

#25 Post by kistnerelizabeth »

This looks so cool! I love the character art. Spoopy is an awesome name for a character. And, since I'm a vampire fan, Muffy is looking to be my fave, so far. Can't wait to see this get released. :)

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran

#26 Post by minyan »

kistnerelizabeth wrote:This looks so cool! I love the character art. Spoopy is an awesome name for a character. And, since I'm a vampire fan, Muffy is looking to be my fave, so far. Can't wait to see this get released. :)
Thanks so much! I'm torn between Muffy and Abbadon... I can't pick a side. I hope you enjoy this just as much once it's released!

I should be getting another sprite done this weekend, then there's just one more! I'm hoping to finish the rest of the side character scenes before June is over as well!
ImageImage

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#27 Post by Zelan »

1. What do you think of the game overall? yeah ummm i'm fuckin losing it dude this LOOKS SO COOL AND I LOVE ALL YOUR OTHER STUFF SO OF COURSE IT'LL BE GOOD
2. Does the gameplay entice you? Yes! I like seeing more VNs with gameplay elements.
3. Who's your favorite character? Salem is probably my favorite overall - I like cats and his personality is fantastic. But then again Abbadon is... hot damn. Like, love interests like him are not usually my type so I'm extremely confused but he is 100% doing it for me. And then of course Muffy is awesome because I'm always down for a female romance option + the inclusion of a trans character is super cool. Also Lawrence is great because I love librarians. Just all librarians.
4. What would you like to see from this game? I just wanna see it honestly. It's so great. owo
5. Would you support a kickstarter for this? YES.
6. Any other comments? I'm super excited for this and I'll be cheering you on! Also I'm so sorry I didn't comment on it earlier I've been so flippin busy. ;-; Also also I have Plain open on my computer so I can listen to that one track because I really like it. (Plain is great by the way but I'm missing endings 5-8 and I don't know how to get them but whatever I still reALLY LOVE IT)

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran

#28 Post by minyan »

Zelan wrote:1. What do you think of the game overall? yeah ummm i'm fuckin losing it dude this LOOKS SO COOL AND I LOVE ALL YOUR OTHER STUFF SO OF COURSE IT'LL BE GOOD
2. Does the gameplay entice you? Yes! I like seeing more VNs with gameplay elements.
3. Who's your favorite character? Salem is probably my favorite overall - I like cats and his personality is fantastic. But then again Abbadon is... hot damn. Like, love interests like him are not usually my type so I'm extremely confused but he is 100% doing it for me. And then of course Muffy is awesome because I'm always down for a female romance option + the inclusion of a trans character is super cool. Also Lawrence is great because I love librarians. Just all librarians.
4. What would you like to see from this game? I just wanna see it honestly. It's so great. owo
5. Would you support a kickstarter for this? YES.
6. Any other comments? I'm super excited for this and I'll be cheering you on! Also I'm so sorry I didn't comment on it earlier I've been so flippin busy. ;-; Also also I have Plain open on my computer so I can listen to that one track because I really like it. (Plain is great by the way but I'm missing endings 5-8 and I don't know how to get them but whatever I still reALLY LOVE IT)
Oh thanks so much for the lovely comments ;u; this made my day. So glad you like Plain as well! I'm so happy it's out and done xD Yesss Abbadon! I love him and Muffy too, so hard to choose. The man bun was a last second decision but it definitely made him look 1,000,000,000 and 10% better. Thanks again for the feedback and support! I hope you like the future updates :D

On that note, here's an update!

Got the lineart done for another side character:
Screen Shot 2017-06-15 at 10.41.19 PM.png
ImageImage

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran

#29 Post by minyan »

And Neil's sprite is done! That leaves just one more sprite! Yaaaay! WOOH HOOOOOOO! AHHHHHHHH

Anyway, next I'll be working on the remainder of the side character scenes.
ImageImage

minyan
Miko-Class Veteran

#30 Post by minyan »

Update
Brad is done! This means all the sprites are officially complete!
ImageImage