The Lost Sheep Of Purgatory [Mystery, Comedy, Drama] [KN]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
hoihoisoi
Regular
Projects: The Lost Sheep Of Purgatory 「煉獄の亡羊」
Organization: House Of Duematrix
Tumblr: HouseOfDuematrix

The Lost Sheep Of Purgatory [Mystery, Comedy, Drama] [KN]

#1 Post by hoihoisoi »

A Visual Novel By The House Of Duematrix Team
Follow us on:
Twitter | Tumblr

A Journey Amongst The Dead

Purgatory, a barren wasteland, tainted in a depressing dull color of brown and red. Masked with the smell of rotting flesh and littered with the corpses of those once alive, now dead. Through this land, a sole journey of judgment awaits all of those who enter it. For once you do, the trial of your afterlife will begin, a journey of seven days and seven nights, beginning at the foot of Mount Purgatory.

Walking through this barren land with no soul to guide you upon your journey, you will find yourself lost amongst the desert of the dead. Crossing hills and mountains, rivers and swamps, palaces and castles with no direction in mind. Aimlessly, you will wonder for days, praying for salvation as you search out for the gates of either heaven or hell.

As horrific as it may seem however, this land of Purgatory is by no means a torture, but merely a transition between the waking world and that of the afterlife.
Those who fear it will cower and drown, but those who brave it will make the journey.
But then, what about those who are unworthy of either?

Some may question if this before them were merely a dream.
Some may question if this before them were merely a nightmare.
Some may question if this before them were merely an illusion.

Is this merely a figment of your imagination or is this reality?
Have you already died but are yet to accept your fate into this silent and cruel world?

What do you think?
Oh, lost sheep?

A Journey Amongst The Living

Emiya Yoko, the heir to ‘Yoko Pharmaceuticals’, a giant RnD firm based in Sapporo, has been hospitalized in a prestigious medical institution in the heart of Tokyo for around a year now, receiving treatment for a condition known as dilated cardiomyopathy (Basically a weak heart). After many diagnosis and tests, the doctors have agreed on one thing - that her chronic syndrome which had worsened over the years was due to take her life fairly soon. But just as the boring months rolled pass, bringing her life closer to an end, an unexpected event unfolds.

Emiya, who was merely going about her normal morning routine is visited by a suspicious looking man, dressed in a full cashmere coat, buttoned up to the neck with what looked like an expensive two piece tailor made suit. He introduces himself as ‘Sanada Konpeki’, a butler come wish-granter of some sort that had been contracted to meet her that very morning. Naturally, Emiya, being cautious of the person in front of her, kept her distance, trying to get the man kicked out of the hospital before he could do anything funny. However, with some pleading and a little stage play, Sanada manages to reason out a bargain with the little lady.

"Fine then…
I want you to find me something,
Something of which I've lost but have not yet found.
Unfortunately, I have no idea what it is, neither do I know if I've ever seen it before.
All I know is that it's just lost.
Can you find it for me?”

The man, standing in light of this terribly vague request, merely bowed and accepted it with open arms, unaware of the trouble he was about to go through over this simple request. Naturally, things aren’t as simple as what they appear to be. From Emiya’s condition to the presence of the man who calls himself ‘Sanada Konpeki’. Nothing is as simple as it seems.

And that is where our story begins.
A story that will last exactly one month.
A story that will revisit a series of very unfortunate events spanning the timeline of a great fifteen years.

That which is lost.
Can it be found?

More to come!

More to come!

Progress Report
Writing: 70%
Art: 45%
Music: 25%
Programming: 10%
GUI: 0%

Team Composition
Project Lead: HoiHoiSoi
Writing: HoiHoiSoi
Art (Character & Background): Hiessa
Music: Low & Too
Programming: HoiHoiSoi

Project Details:
Length of Story: 250k to 300k Words (Roughly 20+ hours long)
Genre: Mystery, Comedy, Drama, Romance
Routes: One (Kinetic Novel with three different endings - One of which is a True End route)
Start Date Of Project: May of 2016
Approximate Time Of Release: Mid 2020
Number of Characters: 10
Rating: 13+ (Includes a very mild dose of vulgar language)
Release Type: Commercial

1. Does the summary of the story tickle your fancies? If it does, tell us why! If it doesn't, tell us why as well!

2. Does the fact that it follows a more Kinetic Novel style (Having only one main route) make the game seem less appealing to you? Are you less likely to pick it up due to this factor?

3. Currently, does the two main leads in the story appeal to you? If so, do you think their backgrounds serve as a good backdrop for the story and why? (Emiya and Sanada)

4. Does the rest of the cast appeal to you? And if so, who currently stands out as your favorite and why? You can choose one of the MCs once more for this question!

5. Would you pay for this game if it was released?

6. Any additional thoughts or impressions of the project?

Omake

Hey there everyone, it's HoiHoiSoi here!

After writing for a good year or so and completing the first draft of the script (Now working on the second), I've decided to finally post up a thread about the project I've been working on! At first I wasn't sure if it was going to come together, but since I'm currently half way through draft two (Ironing out all of those pesky goose bumpish lines I wrote a good year ago and also adding some extra depth to the story), I've decided that it was probably going to come together in the end as long as I work at the pace I am currently following.

Since this is my very first VN/KN, I'm pretty nervous about the reception it'll get. Considering the time and effort that's gone in so far, I really hope that at the end stage of the project that I can laugh at all those long hours knowing that it turned out to be worth it. For a first VN, you've also probably noticed that it's particularly long (250k to 300k words), and that is purely due to the slower pacing and also probably due to the layering of the mystery I've longed to tell. (Afterall, these kinda things can't be rushed - especially foreshadowing) I know that it's probably risky to start with a long one as a first, but I guess I'm willing to take the risk. Hell, I'm probably going to edit this till draft 5 to 7 to make sure that the writing is good enough for the general VN reader.

Next to which, I've decided to go the commercial route as well due to the cost of the project which I've budgeted to be slightly heavy on my wallet. Well, I hope I can make the difference back at the very end, but then again, who knows. It's my first try. As long as I get to push out something good enough for people to read, I'm happy. (Still, my wallet though T.T)

I'm still pretty privy about the story though and I hope you guys can understand that, but if you have any questions about the project, feel free to drop a comment down below! I'll try my best to answer them! :D

Thank you so much for taking the time out to screen through the thread and I hope that it tickles your fancies! Banzai! :D
Last edited by hoihoisoi on Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:23 am, edited 42 times in total.
Current Active Project:
[Mystery, Comedy, Drama]
[Kinetic Novel]

Check it out by clicking on the siggy above!

kistnerelizabeth
Regular

Re: The Lost Sheep Of Purgatory [Romance, Mystery, Comedy] [

#2 Post by kistnerelizabeth »

1. Does the story tickle your fancies?
It seems quite interesting, so far.
2. Does the fact that it follows a more Kinetic Novel style (Having only one main route) make the game seem less appealing to you?
Not at all. All that matters, really, is if the characters and story are awesome. Kinetic, Kinetic-ish, or not, it won't bother me at all.
3. Currently, does the two main leads in the story appeal to you? (Emiya and Sanada)
They both seem awesome.
4. Do you like the current art style used?
I love it. It's very professional looking. :)
5. Would you pay for this if it was released?
Even if it took me a while to get the funds, yes. I hope you'll be putting out a demo.

hoihoisoi
Regular

Re: The Lost Sheep Of Purgatory [Romance, Mystery, Comedy] [

#3 Post by hoihoisoi »

kistnerelizabeth wrote:1. Does the story tickle your fancies?
It seems quite interesting, so far.
2. Does the fact that it follows a more Kinetic Novel style (Having only one main route) make the game seem less appealing to you?
Not at all. All that matters, really, is if the characters and story are awesome. Kinetic, Kinetic-ish, or not, it won't bother me at all.
3. Currently, does the two main leads in the story appeal to you? (Emiya and Sanada)
They both seem awesome.
4. Do you like the current art style used?
I love it. It's very professional looking. :)
5. Would you pay for this if it was released?
Even if it took me a while to get the funds, yes. I hope you'll be putting out a demo.
Thank you so much for your comment! I hope that in time as more of the characters are revealed that it'll strike your fancy even more! Also! It's good to know that it being a kinetic novel doesn't bother you so much, since I wasn't entirely sure if it'd gain traction having just one single pathway. It's been a problem I've been wrestling with over the past few months when writing the script but eventually it became a design decision after a lot of head scratching and contemplating. It's good to know therefore that you're open to this genre of VNs!

Overall, thank you again for your comment and I hope that you'll drop by the thread once in a while for the updates to come! :D
Current Active Project:
[Mystery, Comedy, Drama]
[Kinetic Novel]

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

Re: The Lost Sheep Of Purgatory [Mystery, Comedy, Drama] [KN

#4 Post by sasquatchii »

1. Does the summary of the story tickle your fancies? If it does, tell us why! If it doesn't, tell us why as well!
Yes, definitely! I especially loved the 'The Story' section, where you included the teaser blurb. It sounds intriguing and mysterious!

2. Does the fact that it follows a more Kinetic Novel style (Having only one main route) make the game seem less appealing to you? Are you less likely to pick it up due to this factor?
Not at all. I enjoy KNs, especially if the story is good and there are hooks to pull me along and keep my interest.

3. Currently, does the two main leads in the story appeal to you? If so, do you think their backgrounds serve as a good backdrop for the story and why? (Emiya and Sanada)
Emiya is definitely appealing, I want to know more about her. Sanada didn't stick out to me as much, when you call a character dense as a rock with a tendency to mindlessly chatter it definitely makes them less appealing.

4. Does the rest of the cast appeal to you? And if so, who currently stands out as your favorite and why? You can choose one of the MCs once more for this question! (To only be answered once more characters come in. For now, it can be ignored. T.T)
Hmm, I think the MC is my favorite at the moment! She seems the most interesting.

Maybe? I would probably want to play a demo 1st, and then decide based on that. I don't know you or your team and havent played any games by you, so unless I know a developer and am familiar with their games, I won't blindly buy without playing a demo first.
ImageImage

hoihoisoi
Regular

#5 Post by hoihoisoi »

sasquatchii wrote:1. Does the summary of the story tickle your fancies? If it does, tell us why! If it doesn't, tell us why as well!
Yes, definitely! I especially loved the 'The Story' section, where you included the teaser blurb. It sounds intriguing and mysterious!

Not at all. I enjoy KNs, especially if the story is good and there are hooks to pull me along and keep my interest.

Emiya is definitely appealing, I want to know more about her. Sanada didn't stick out to me as much, when you call a character dense as a rock with a tendency to mindlessly chatter it definitely makes them less appealing.

4. Does the rest of the cast appeal to you? And if so, who currently stands out as your favorite and why? You can choose one of the MCs once more for this question! (To only be answered once more characters come in. For now, it can be ignored. T.T)
Hmm, I think the MC is my favorite at the moment! She seems the most interesting.

Maybe? I would probably want to play a demo 1st, and then decide based on that. I don't know you or your team and havent played any games by you, so unless I know a developer and am familiar with their games, I won't blindly buy without playing a demo first.
Thanks for the reply!

Firstly, it excites me that another person finds the summary of the plot exciting considering how much times I've scratched my head worried that maybe the plot or setting may not come up as something that would appeal to a mystery/drama audience. Next to which, the fact that KNs don't put you off is also another great 'hoorah' for me! I myself really like KNs and to an extent I hope that love for it can extend into this project I've been working on. :D

Now, in regards to the male lead (Sanada) and how the description goes. It was a design choice that he was made that way to compliment Emiya who has a much more mischievous and feisty nature. Maybe it doesn't seem to look good on description right now, but it should become apparent during the character interactions to why he was written up that way. However, he too isn't what he makes himself up to be so maybe in the later part of development we can show him off a bit. *Wink! Wink!* ;)

Other than that, I totally get you when it comes to not testing out some part of the game before getting it. But no worries, we will be releasing a demo for it, but maybe in the later stages, sometime late next year, hopefully. But till then, there'll be more updates and releases of characters to come! So you can stay tuned to those first! :)

Once again, thank you for leaving a comment and I hope what you see excites you! Cheers and have a good day ahead! :D
Current Active Project:
[Mystery, Comedy, Drama]
[Kinetic Novel]

hoihoisoi
Regular

#6 Post by hoihoisoi »

Hey guys! Just an update on the characters after two weeks of silence! But we currently have a new character bio up today! Check it out below or above for it! Also, we've revamped how our character bios look and edited Sanada's one for more details on his character! Hope you guys like the new look!

Introducing Minami Kagawa! The silverhaired chipmunk of a girl!
We will try to keep you guys updated on our current progress every two weeks or so! So be sure to leave a comment if any at all and stay tuned for more content! :D
Last edited by hoihoisoi on Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Current Active Project:
[Mystery, Comedy, Drama]
[Kinetic Novel]

hoihoisoi
Regular

Re: The Lost Sheep Of Purgatory [Mystery, Comedy, Drama] [KN]

#7 Post by hoihoisoi »

Hey guys! HoiHoiSoi here back with another update!

Just in case you guys haven't noticed it yet, we've set up a Tumblr Blog and also a Twitter account for all those who are interested in following us. Essentially, we will be posting more detailed information on the blog to keep everyone informed about the ups and downs of the project. We will be also posting some additional info such as character introductions and the likes there, so if you're interested in knowing more, we recommend you guys to follow our Tumblr as well! XD

We've recently done a character introduction (Like today) on the blog and it currently covers Emiya. We will be doing this while waiting for our artist to complete the other characters before we send them out as with what we had done with Minami's general character introduction on our first post. Anyways, here is a snapshot of what we've posted up on our Tumblr Blog! Hope ya'll like it!

Follow us on:
Twitter | Tumblr

The many faces of Emiya Yoko:
Current Active Project:
[Mystery, Comedy, Drama]
[Kinetic Novel]

hoihoisoi
Regular

#8 Post by hoihoisoi »

Hey guys! Just an update on the characters after a month plus of silence! But we currently have a new character bio up today! Check it out below or above for it! Also, we've completed the second draft of the script, now moving on to draft 3! Lots of work to go more!

Introducing Takusa Yoko, the socially awkward genius father!

We will try to keep you guys updated on our current progress as we go along! So be sure to leave a comment if any at all and stay tuned for more content! :D
Current Active Project:
[Mystery, Comedy, Drama]
[Kinetic Novel]

hoihoisoi
Regular

#9 Post by hoihoisoi »

Another update on the characters! But we currently have a new character bio up today! Check it out below or above for it!

Introducing Kazuna Nomiya, the mischievously playful mother!

Stay tuned for more updates as they come!
Current Active Project:
[Mystery, Comedy, Drama]
[Kinetic Novel]