Possessed[VN][GXB][Horror|Romance][Free Game]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Scribbles
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pinewood Island, As We Know It
Projects: In Blood
Organization: Jaime Scribbles Games
Deviantart: breakfastdoodles
itch: scribbles

Possessed[VN][GXB][Horror|Romance][Free Game]

#1 Post by Scribbles »

--Going on a temporary hiatus while I work on a different project ^^ --

Possessed will be a free VN, and serve as a stand alone prologue for a larger project in the future.

The Plot:

Lucy(21) is just a lonely girl with a crush on the charismatic and friendly guy, Sam.
Sam (23) just wants to get his bachelor's degree and remain sane while living with his wild roommate, Axel.
Axel (26) wants to know why Sam isn't interested in the odd redhead, Lucy.

An awkward date turns horrifying when Lucy is abducted by a cult on the walk home. She's drugged and forced to be the subject of an odd ritual. It doesn't go as planned, and the cult will do anything to fix their mistake.

Their best guess is to destroy what ties Lucy to this world, and that seems to mean Sam.

Now Lucy, Sam, and Axel have to figure out how to escape the cult. All while Lucy struggles with the new, strange, and dark impulses that are haunting her now.

Play as Lucy, embrace the new evil lurking in your mind or fight to retain your humanity.

Characters:

ImageImageImage

The Cult: (not much is known, because spoilers...)
Isaac - leader
Megan - second to Isaac
Elise - unknown
Terrance - unknown
Ethan - unknown
Sean - unknown

Game Will Feature:
  • 2 Romance options
  • 4-5 endings at least
  • Maybe 1/2 CGs if my budget allows
  • story changes based on your choices

Character Concept Art: Mirra

Content Warning:
  • Violent content and situations
  • Mild sexual content
  • References to drugs/alcohol/drug-like states
  • Potentially upsetting situations and content

Questions:
  • Is/Are the concept/plot/characters interesting?
  • how much do you expect from a free game in terms of content? Such as word count? Number of CGs? BG quality?
  • Should I provide more or less information on the plot?
  • Any input on the character designs?
  • Game mechanics or features you'd like to see in this game?

thanks for your attention if you've read this far! ^ ^
Last edited by Scribbles on Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image - Image -Image

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Possessed[VN][GXB][Horror|Romance][Free Game]

#2 Post by Zelan »

Is/Are the concept/plot/characters interesting?: Yup! Lucy is an adorable MC, and Sam and Axel seem like interesting guys.
how much do you expect from a free game in terms of content? Such as word count? Number of CGs? BG quality?: This is pretty hard to answer; generally, I'm willing to give free games more leniency is comparison to commercial games. On the other hand, I want to enjoy the game still, and you've now got games like Cinderella Phenomenon raising the bar significantly in terms of your competition.
Should I provide more or less information on the plot?: Personally, I think it's fine where it is. You generally want to give enough information that questions are raised but not answered. I'm wondering now: what went wrong during the ritual? What even IS this cult? And (less important, but still something I'd like to know) why wasn't Sam interested in Lucy?
Any input on the character designs?: Lucy's adorable, like I said, and I'd be super happy to play an MC looking like her. Axel is looking great as well with that punk rocker look. Sam is a bit more understated, which is absolutely fine since he's a calmer character, but I would maybe change the colors just a bit since right now all of his clothes are like... the same muddy shade of green. Those jeans could probably be a bit more blue, at least.
Game mechanics or features you'd like to see in this game?: I'd be fine with a straight visual novel but if you can think of other features that are worth adding I'd probably be interested. c:

gamerbum
Regular
Projects: Our Lovely Escape, Mizari Loves Company
Organization: Reine Works
Tumblr: reineworks

#3 Post by gamerbum »

Oh!

I loved reading Pinewood Island (even though I may have read things a little out of order, haha), so I will definitely be reading this once it comes out! I can't wait to read some more of your brand of darker storytelling. And I love the character artwork.

- Is/Are the concept/plot/characters interesting?
Yes! I love darker stories and concepts.

- How much do you expect from a free game in terms of content? Such as word count? Number of CGs? BG quality?
Don't really care; quality over quantity.

- Should I provide more or less information on the plot?
I think it's fine as is. May be personal taste, but I don't like too much information on plot or characters, because it sometimes takes away the mystery and suspense.

- Any input on the character designs?
I kind of wish Sam stood out more. Compared to the other two, he looks... a tad too normal? I feel like it might be because their hair colors are way brighter and their clothes palettes contrast more. Overall, I like them all, though.

- Game mechanics or features you'd like to see in this game?
Not in particular.

Good luck!

Scribbles
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Scribbles »

Zelan wrote:Is/Are the concept/plot/characters interesting?: Yup! Lucy is an adorable MC, and Sam and Axel seem like interesting guys.
how much do you expect from a free game in terms of content? Such as word count? Number of CGs? BG quality?: This is pretty hard to answer; generally, I'm willing to give free games more leniency is comparison to commercial games. On the other hand, I want to enjoy the game still, and you've now got games like Cinderella Phenomenon raising the bar significantly in terms of your competition.
Should I provide more or less information on the plot?: Personally, I think it's fine where it is. You generally want to give enough information that questions are raised but not answered. I'm wondering now: what went wrong during the ritual? What even IS this cult? And (less important, but still something I'd like to know) why wasn't Sam interested in Lucy?
Any input on the character designs?: Lucy's adorable, like I said, and I'd be super happy to play an MC looking like her. Axel is looking great as well with that punk rocker look. Sam is a bit more understated, which is absolutely fine since he's a calmer character, but I would maybe change the colors just a bit since right now all of his clothes are like... the same muddy shade of green. Those jeans could probably be a bit more blue, at least.
Game mechanics or features you'd like to see in this game?: I'd be fine with a straight visual novel but if you can think of other features that are worth adding I'd probably be interested. c:
gamerbum wrote:Oh!

I loved reading Pinewood Island (even though I may have read things a little out of order, haha), so I will definitely be reading this once it comes out! I can't wait to read some more of your brand of darker storytelling. And I love the character artwork.

- Is/Are the concept/plot/characters interesting?
Yes! I love darker stories and concepts.

- How much do you expect from a free game in terms of content? Such as word count? Number of CGs? BG quality?
Don't really care; quality over quantity.

- Should I provide more or less information on the plot?
I think it's fine as is. May be personal taste, but I don't like too much information on plot or characters, because it sometimes takes away the mystery and suspense.

- Any input on the character designs?
I kind of wish Sam stood out more. Compared to the other two, he looks... a tad too normal? I feel like it might be because their hair colors are way brighter and their clothes palettes contrast more. Overall, I like them all, though.

- Game mechanics or features you'd like to see in this game?
Not in particular.

Good luck!
Thank you both for the input! I can see what you're both saying about Sam, I think maybe his outfit could use a bit more vibrancy in his final design lol. I hope I can put out something as good as Cinderella phenomenon (though my game is very different in terms of tone, and well everything > <). I'm excited to put this story in VN form.
Image - Image -Image

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

#5 Post by sasquatchii »

Is/Are the concept/plot/characters interesting?
Yes! I have never played a visual novel which touched on cults, I am really excited to see how yours turns out!

how much do you expect from a free game in terms of content? Such as word count? Number of CGs? BG quality?
When it comes to free games, I keep my expectations low, and am always happily surprised when the game is fun and something that really interests me. What I'm trying to say is, I'm a lot more forgiving when it comes to free games, anything is fine with me!

Should I provide more or less information on the plot?
No - I think this is perfect for your 1st post. It gave me just enough information to raise questions and leave me wanting more. If you want to create seperate updates in later posts about the info/plot I think that'd be fine but I thought your 1st post was perfect!

Any input on the character designs?
I love them. They're so stinkin cute! They look like perfectly adorable and innocent teenagers]

Game mechanics or features you'd like to see in this game?
None that I can think of? Are you thinking about including mini games or anything that would break the mold from a traditional VN?
ImageImage

Scribbles
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Scribbles »

sasquatchii wrote:Is/Are the concept/plot/characters interesting?
Yes! I have never played a visual novel which touched on cults, I am really excited to see how yours turns out!

how much do you expect from a free game in terms of content? Such as word count? Number of CGs? BG quality?
When it comes to free games, I keep my expectations low, and am always happily surprised when the game is fun and something that really interests me. What I'm trying to say is, I'm a lot more forgiving when it comes to free games, anything is fine with me!

Should I provide more or less information on the plot?
No - I think this is perfect for your 1st post. It gave me just enough information to raise questions and leave me wanting more. If you want to create seperate updates in later posts about the info/plot I think that'd be fine but I thought your 1st post was perfect!

Any input on the character designs?
I love them. They're so stinkin cute! They look like perfectly adorable and innocent teenagers]

Game mechanics or features you'd like to see in this game?
None that I can think of? Are you thinking about including mini games or anything that would break the mold from a traditional VN?
Thanks for the input! I'm not really thinking of any huge game mechanics that I'd want to add, but I like to ask. There might be something I'm not thinking of that would work really well or something. lol.

Also, Sam, Lucy, and Axel are in their twenties not teenagers > < should probably add that somewhere b/c I didn't, and it would become a very different story if they were underage lol They all attend the same college in Colorado, usa (in an imaginary town that I made up). I'm glad you like the concept and characters designs though! :)
Image - Image -Image

LuckyCats
Regular

#7 Post by LuckyCats »

•Is/Are the concept/plot/characters interesting?

MC seems sweet and cute I'm rooting for her to make it out alive and sane :3
Axel and Sam seem interesting too though I don't trust either of them especially SAM he seems too good LOL though honestly in mystery stuff I'm low key suspicious of everyone and their motives X"D

I'm curious about the cult too what their origin is, long term goal is, how wide spread they are, how many followers they have. I haven't seen a lot of cults in games other than the fatal frame series and their cults with their hell gate rituals.

•how much do you expect from a free game in terms of content? Such as word count? Number of CGs? BG quality?

A difficult question. I'm usually willing to give most free games a chance if they interest me. Especially if I like the art or story/writing.

That said though, if it helps to hear some specifics then i'd say

Word count- I'd prefer there be at least a few hours worth of gameplay but its not a requirement in for free games

CG- I can totally understand if you dont use them as its a free game and its all out of pocket for it for you. But if you do include them I'd say it would be nice to see 1-2 per route.

BG- simple BG are def fine with me in free games

•Should I provide more or less information on the plot?

I'm good with it being a mystery I think that its enough to know for now

•Any input on the character designs?

I agree with the others about Sam. I think he could use some more vivid/contrasting colors. Or mix his design with the metal claw girl from Mirras page? She's just so freakin cool X3 like take some elements from her like amber eyes and that suit.

•Game mechanics or features you'd like to see in this game?

Some kind of visual indicator as to how far her humanity/sanity has degraded. Maybe shown with sprite art or how she sees the world(maybe it becomes red/gray tint becomes shadowy etc), Maybe choices that only appear down the routes if she leans far enough one way or the other?

Scribbles
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Scribbles »

LuckyCats wrote:•Is/Are the concept/plot/characters interesting?

MC seems sweet and cute I'm rooting for her to make it out alive and sane :3
Axel and Sam seem interesting too though I don't trust either of them especially SAM he seems too good LOL though honestly in mystery stuff I'm low key suspicious of everyone and their motives X"D

I'm curious about the cult too what their origin is, long term goal is, how wide spread they are, how many followers they have. I haven't seen a lot of cults in games other than the fatal frame series and their cults with their hell gate rituals.

•how much do you expect from a free game in terms of content? Such as word count? Number of CGs? BG quality?

A difficult question. I'm usually willing to give most free games a chance if they interest me. Especially if I like the art or story/writing.

That said though, if it helps to hear some specifics then i'd say

Word count- I'd prefer there be at least a few hours worth of gameplay but its not a requirement in for free games

CG- I can totally understand if you dont use them as its a free game and its all out of pocket for it for you. But if you do include them I'd say it would be nice to see 1-2 per route.

BG- simple BG are def fine with me in free games

•Should I provide more or less information on the plot?

I'm good with it being a mystery I think that its enough to know for now

•Any input on the character designs?

I agree with the others about Sam. I think he could use some more vivid/contrasting colors. Or mix his design with the metal claw girl from Mirras page? She's just so freakin cool X3 like take some elements from her like amber eyes and that suit.

•Game mechanics or features you'd like to see in this game?

Some kind of visual indicator as to how far her humanity/sanity has degraded. Maybe shown with sprite art or how she sees the world(maybe it becomes red/gray tint becomes shadowy etc), Maybe choices that only appear down the routes if she leans far enough one way or the other?
Thanks for your feedback! you had some interesting ideas for game mechanics. I wasn't sure if I should put in an indicator or not, but I was thinking of different ways to do it too. :) I'm thinking of spicing up his outfit for when it comes time to have a final design made up. Maybe give him brighter eyes? He's a much more grounded character so I did want his appearance to reflect that but not to his detriment > <

though I mainly compare him with Axel since Lucy is the player's character lol but seeming them all lined up with everyone's comments I can see what they're saying
Image - Image -Image

quinnsea
Regular
Completed: Birch Sapling
Projects: Aspen, Baleen
Organization: Koimarina Games
IRC Nick: quinnsea
Tumblr: bonnievoyage
Soundcloud: nishiikigoi
itch: koimarina

#9 Post by quinnsea »

I'm really happy to see that you're turning this into a full fledged project. Your ideas always seem really interesting and well thought out. I'm hoping I can scrounge up enough money to buy Pinewood Island when it's out! I'll do my best to refrain from repeating myself last time you asked for input!
Scribbles wrote:Is/Are the concept/plot/characters interesting?
Yeah, I really appreciate how this seems to deviate from the typical jumpscare fest seen in horror nowadays. I feel like this game is going to rely very heavily on atmosphere, and I really think that'll help it stand out.
Scribbles wrote:How much do you expect from a free game in terms of content? Such as word count? Number of CGs? BG quality?
When it comes to the absolute most I expect out of free visual novels, I usually think about Re: Alistair from sakevisual. I feel like it's unfair to say that it's the best,(since I haven't played a big handful of free visual novels) but I feel like in terms of quality, art, and word count that is the highest I expect out of most free visual novels. BGs don't need to stand out or have immense amounts of detail, I never really expect any CGs. I just expect a pretty short, enjoyable experience. Boyfriend To Death might give you a decent idea of how much content would fit too, but it's NSFW and highly triggering, so watch out if you're gonna give it a try.
Scribbles wrote:Should I provide more or less information on the plot?
My opinion hasn't really changed here. Best to keep things as vague as possible, this will help carry the tone I feel like you're going for.
Scribbles wrote:Any input on the character designs?
Axel and Lucy really seem to stand out. Their designs are great reflections of their personality, and I feel like I can point them out in a crowd. But Sam feels a little weak? It might be an easy fix, though. Like adding some brightly colored pins on his jacket or a knit cap. While Lucy and Axel have monochromatic color palettes, they still manage to stand out thanks to the pops of color they have. Axel's purple hair and Lucy's orange hair along with her green collar and blue eyes might seem like a small amount if you're just comparing the amount of colors, but they still pop out nonetheless.
Scribbles wrote:Game mechanics or features you'd like to see in this game?
Maybe some puzzle elements? Or maybe some escape room type gameplay? I don't think this any of this is necessary, though. Don't add too many things you don't need. Having it as just a visual novel will still make it great, I'm sure of that.

I hope my input is helpful! Good luck!
ImageImage

quinn / 26 / qa analyst, game design hobbyist
icon by church

Scribbles
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by Scribbles »

quinnsea wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:33 pm I'm really happy to see that you're turning this into a full fledged project. Your ideas always seem really interesting and well thought out. I'm hoping I can scrounge up enough money to buy Pinewood Island when it's out! I'll do my best to refrain from repeating myself last time you asked for input!
Scribbles wrote:Is/Are the concept/plot/characters interesting?
Yeah, I really appreciate how this seems to deviate from the typical jumpscare fest seen in horror nowadays. I feel like this game is going to rely very heavily on atmosphere, and I really think that'll help it stand out.
Scribbles wrote:How much do you expect from a free game in terms of content? Such as word count? Number of CGs? BG quality?
When it comes to the absolute most I expect out of free visual novels, I usually think about Re: Alistair from sakevisual. I feel like it's unfair to say that it's the best,(since I haven't played a big handful of free visual novels) but I feel like in terms of quality, art, and word count that is the highest I expect out of most free visual novels. BGs don't need to stand out or have immense amounts of detail, I never really expect any CGs. I just expect a pretty short, enjoyable experience. Boyfriend To Death might give you a decent idea of how much content would fit too, but it's NSFW and highly triggering, so watch out if you're gonna give it a try.
Scribbles wrote:Should I provide more or less information on the plot?
My opinion hasn't really changed here. Best to keep things as vague as possible, this will help carry the tone I feel like you're going for.
Scribbles wrote:Any input on the character designs?
Axel and Lucy really seem to stand out. Their designs are great reflections of their personality, and I feel like I can point them out in a crowd. But Sam feels a little weak? It might be an easy fix, though. Like adding some brightly colored pins on his jacket or a knit cap. While Lucy and Axel have monochromatic color palettes, they still manage to stand out thanks to the pops of color they have. Axel's purple hair and Lucy's orange hair along with her green collar and blue eyes might seem like a small amount if you're just comparing the amount of colors, but they still pop out nonetheless.
Scribbles wrote:Game mechanics or features you'd like to see in this game?
Maybe some puzzle elements? Or maybe some escape room type gameplay? I don't think this any of this is necessary, though. Don't add too many things you don't need. Having it as just a visual novel will still make it great, I'm sure of that.

I hope my input is helpful! Good luck!
ah thanks! ^^ I'll keep all that in mind
Image - Image -Image