Softwar - Cyber fight VN RPG [BXG] DEMO AVAILABLE!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
zankizuna
Veteran
Completed: Monochrome Valentine
Projects: Softwar
Deviantart: raseru09
itch: ZanKizuna

Re: Softwar - Hack VN RPG [BXG]

#16 Post by zankizuna »

MegaSaberEXE wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:15 am Cool Cool me dude, good luck on your project. :)
Thank you!!
new update! I finally got to make some cards for the battle gameplay! stay tuned for a lot more!
Will announce gameplay another time.
Attachments
CARD5_Fibrsword.png
CARD5_Fibrsword.png (71.79 KiB) Viewed 3374 times
CARD2_Datasaber.png
CARD2_Datasaber.png (91.71 KiB) Viewed 3374 times
CARD1_Minisaber.png
CARD1_Minisaber.png (98.14 KiB) Viewed 3374 times

CeeCeeVA
Regular
Projects: Celflux Animation as the voice of Shandrita
Tumblr: CeeCeeVA

#17 Post by CeeCeeVA »

This is amazing!!
Voice Actress, Casting Director, Writer & Director

https://ceeceeva.wixsite.com/chasityconner

Animation Demo Reel:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/10plH50 ... p=drivesdk

For VO inquiry:
CeeCeeVA@yahoo.com

zankizuna
Veteran

#18 Post by zankizuna »

CeeCeeVA wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:03 am This is amazing!!
OMG Your profile tells me that you're a Voice Actress!!
I have no money but I;d love to hear voice in my game hahaha uguu

CeeCeeVA
Regular

#19 Post by CeeCeeVA »

zankizuna wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:31 am
CeeCeeVA wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:03 am This is amazing!!
OMG Your profile tells me that you're a Voice Actress!!
I have no money but I;d love to hear voice in my game hahaha uguu
LOL yes I am! I’d love to if you have any characters that would fit my range I’m down with that ;)

Animation Demo Reel:

For VO inquiry:
CeeCeeVA@yahoo.com

zankizuna
Veteran

#20 Post by zankizuna »

hmmm.. I imagine my characters with high pitched speaking voice... something really cute hahaha

CeeCeeVA
Regular

#21 Post by CeeCeeVA »

Hmmm

Animation Demo Reel:

For VO inquiry:
CeeCeeVA@yahoo.com

CeeCeeVA
Regular

#22 Post by CeeCeeVA »

I can give it a shot lol

Animation Demo Reel:

For VO inquiry:
CeeCeeVA@yahoo.com

zankizuna
Veteran

#23 Post by zankizuna »

Alright I'll finish my script in like a week or two! We can go chat over Private messages, thank you CeeCee!!!!!

CeeCeeVA
Regular

#24 Post by CeeCeeVA »

Coolz! No problem ^.^

Animation Demo Reel:

For VO inquiry:
CeeCeeVA@yahoo.com

Semicolonkid
Regular
Projects: Summoned
itch: semicolonkid

#25 Post by Semicolonkid »

Just wanted to say this looks really cool! I love the concept and I especially love Ily's design (wow, I'm only just now realizing her name is an acronym of I Love You). The email envelope on her head is just adorable, not to mention the heart eye. I had fun studying the I Love You virus for a college assignment (and man, what a devastating virus it was). I love this interpretation of it!
Best of luck with this! I'd really like to check it out once you have something released!

zankizuna
Veteran

#26 Post by zankizuna »

Glad you love it! You can subscribe to Zankizuna.itch.io for updates on the release! I'm hoping to release it on Feb 14, for maximum Love!

Here's a progress percentage update!

Art: 50% [characters and cards, UI]
Story: 10% [slow writer]
Gameplay:10%
Music: 90%

zankizuna
Veteran

Re: Softwar - Hack VN RPG [BXG] DEMO AVAILABLE!

#27 Post by zankizuna »

DEMO AVAILABLE NOW ON ITCH.IO!
http://zankizuna.itch.io/Softwar
Please support for FULL VERSION: Episode 1!
Can you Byte Your way into her heart?
credits.png

zankizuna
Veteran

#28 Post by zankizuna »

Thanks everybody for your support for the demo!! Http://zankizuna.itch.io/Softwar
Please feel free to make suggestions to the writing, gameplay, and any aspect you may think!

Any comment can affect the outcome for the full version on our target release date: May 25 2018!
That's 3 months from now!

I, Zankizuna also kind of require feedback for the cardgame if you've played the demo: how do we improve the battleware system of Softwar?
DataDrill.png
DataDrill.png (47.67 KiB) Viewed 3154 times
Any ideas are welcome!
Did you enjoy the demo? What did you want to see or look forward to seeing in the future release?

LIZM
Regular

#29 Post by LIZM »

I already said a few things on Discord but I happened to glance over the demo again today and wanted to share some thoughts here as well. This is the one game that got me back into visual novels and I really hope more people will give this one a shot.

Softwar's biggest strength, IMO, is the entire visual department - the designs and GUI are really clever, and the character art style is very easily recognisable and pleasing to look at. (Basically hitting all my personal aesthetics right there, haha.) The animations and battle interface were really impressive to me too. Everything is just super neat and high quality. My interest in games of any kind is very much driven by aesthetics, and given how important visuals obviously are in a visual novel... Well, the team essentially won me over from the moment I first saw an image of Ily.

While I thought the music suited the game well, there were small parts that gave me mixed feelings. A big one is the track playing near the start that got a bit repetitive to me. Part of me thought it was fantastic because it worked great with the frustration of dealing with a persistent virus, the other part of me just got a bit too distracted by it. I loved the sound effects and Ily's voice clips, though the latter were rather quiet (or overshadowed by the music?) on default settings. The overall retro vibe is great.

I appreciate the battle system for how well it's done, particularly the visuals and little details like the voice clips. While I'm personally not a fan of these types of card battles in general, I still think they're a nice element to have here. It "feels" right to me given the setting and overall vibe of the game. In my two runs, I won both times although the first one was really close with only 30 HP left and had me wondering if I was really unlucky or if the first battle was supposed to be that way. (I liked that the following dialogue addressed how close I got to dying, lol.) I'm glad I got to help USB-chan and USB-kun... So cute... :oops:

There's nothing much I can say about the writing so far as I feel like I haven't seen enough of the story and characters yet. One thing I can say, however, is that the demo did a good job of introducing me to the world and story, and got me hooked enough to make me sad when it ended. :P (Okay, another thing I can say is that I love Ily... OELVN waifu.) I'm definitely curious about where exactly this story will be going and what other characters we'll meet along the way.

tl;dr I LOVE SOFTWAR!!! and am really excited for the full release.

Semicolonkid
Regular
Projects: Summoned
itch: semicolonkid

#30 Post by Semicolonkid »

Alrighty! Played the demo, here are my critiques:

First...the sound you hear on the startup menu when you hover your cursor over an option is very high-pitched, and by extension, annoying. I'd compress it or adjust it or something if you can find the time to.
Second, I'll second what was said above about the music being a LITTLE bit repetitive early on, but honestly I think it was mostly fine. If you could mix one more track around in the early part of the game or make the main track more subdued, I think that would go a long ways.
And third, you mentioned you want feedback on the card game:

At the moment, there's not reeeeeally much strategy, right? As far as I could tell, it's "choose the higher-damage attack every time unless the higher-speed attack could kill them," and even then that only matters if the enemy could potentially kill you in one shot. Unless I misunderstood something.
So, my hope is that the depth of the game will go up over time.
I'm sure you want to keep the game simple, and maybe you already have more planned, but here are my thoughts: having cards that are extra-special that fulfill different functions would open up for some strategy. For instance, suppose you drew two cards, one of which was "Heal for 500" and the other was "700 power." It'd be tough to choose to do the heal on a turn where you can do way more damage than usual, since you discard the card you don't use. But that decision would be based on how much health you have and how much health they have.
Beyond that, it's really...that speed just needs to matter more. As far as I could tell, speed would only ever matter on the final attack right now. In a game like Pokemon, speed works the same way but is a VITAL stat because Pokemon regularly 1 or 2-shot each other and then you miss an entire attack if you were slower. One way to capture that in this game would be to "segment" your health so that if the enemy attack caused you to fall below a health threshold and you hadn't attacked yet, then that attack is skipped (and vice-versa).

Anyways, now on to the good stuff!
I love it! The art's great, the music is pretty awesome (I LOVE the battle track!), and the premise is very entertaining! I said it before and I'll say it again, ILY's entire design and character concept is just a stroke of genius. I also chuckled at USB-kun and USB-chan, very fun!
As a programmer, this VN resonates with me. And I think it's pretty darn well-executed! I wanna know what happens next in the story!
Overall AWESOME job, and I definitely look forward to more!