The Thorn Prince[regency][BxG]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

Re: The Thorn Prince[regency][BxG]

#16 Post by Mammon »

Mikaesa wrote:First, i would like to say i'm very happy to see a new project from Mammon. I really really like your writing, i discovered Pervert&Yandere by chance and couldn't stop playing 2 days straight :D (also i apologize in case my english is a litte weird)
Aw, I'm so glad to hear you liked P&Y, and don't worry about your English, it's fine.
Mikaesa wrote:1. Do you like the premise? Does this sound like an interesting story you’d want to read?
Yes if it's one of your story, i'm definitively interested. I mean the premise is simple but i can imagine what you can do with William already. Otherwise, i don't really play [BxG] because i'm a girl, it's usually harder to immerse in the story. But because your protagonists are not meant to be "blank", it's ok (in lots of VN, protagonists have no personality to let the player substitute themselve in them. I prefer your approach)
Oh i like the crazy mother part, nice backstory here.
I hope you and the other otome fans around here will like the Thorn Prince just as much as the men, just like how I like to play otome's where you romance the protagonists through the love interests. And if it helps, after making 5 versions of William I picked the bishounen version of him as opposed to the others (including Ser Godfrey).
Mikaesa wrote:2. Do you like or dislike the characters? Anyone in particular?
- I don't really understand one thing about Salia description : why is she a candidate to court the prince ? I mean, her country seems powerfull and the prince quite troublesome. So i don't understand her motive to be here (also in her description, she can have any man she wants so why him ?)
In comparaison, the innocent Charlotte wants to find true love and Veronica have a "poor background". I can clearly see their motive for being here. I hope you understand what i mean ?
I understand what you mean and get how it might be confusing. One of the main reasons is actually quite the spoiler, but the other one is that William is quite handsome. Even though his personality is rotten, his exterior is quite nice on the eyes. And the princesses don't know him well enough at the beginning to know what his personality would be like.

Also, princess Salia is that kind of popular girl that goes for the most powerful boyfriend, regardless of what a jerk he might be.
Mikaesa wrote:- I already know that Charlotte will be the most cringy route for me because i hate this type of girl (pure, innocent, naive little lamb hahah). But i know she's a necessary character in this kind of story, maybe i will not hate her in the actual game.
-Veronica is my favorite princess for now ^^ Maybe her sprite is too humble for a princess, even a hated one. I really like her face and dress, maybe she could use a necklace for exemple (or bracelets) to give her a more noble appartenance ? She is not the kind to wear complicated gown like the other 2.
Your impression of all three princesses is quite accurate, and I won't really diverge from any of these personalities. However, I do hope that you'll find all their routes, including Charlotte's, interesting nonetheless. I have hopes that combining her with William's personality will make the otherwise tiresome tale interesting. And I haven't really gotten to Charlotte's and Veronica's dresses yet, so Veronica will probably get something more proper with jewelry and such indeed. Right now it's just that one dress though.
Mikaesa wrote:- Ser Godfrey is probably with the bad guys but i wanna say he's really sexy :oops: It'll be difficult to hate him if i must hahaha
- Don't take it the bad way but Ser Bertram kind of reminds me of Brienne de Thor :lol:
- Of course Prince William is very interesting, i can't wait to read him in action.
Just remember that Ser Godfrey is supposed to be 40. (Sorry, it's really hard to make anime characters old yet not ancient.) And I guess Bertram might look a bit like her indeed, though definately not with intent.
Mikaesa wrote:Overall, your art skills have improved nicely. What i apreciate the most is that you really understand what each personnality must wear, their posture and expressions. They fit their role. Also, thanks for drawing a map.
Aw, thanks. And I'm sorry for (as some people phrased it and I've come to realise myself looking back at it) hurting your eyes with the colour scheme in P&Y.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran

#17 Post by Mammon »

After a lot longer than I would've liked and nearly murdering my computer by making too many layers within one file, I finally managed to finish William's sprites and do-dats. His outfits are very similar though. Is it a bad thing that I cared less than I should about the appearance of my main character? Meh, it'll work out. I mean, he's got three different frowns. That's two more than needed, thus it balances things out.

Last edited by Mammon on Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran

#18 Post by Mammon »

Our fairy princess Charlotte now has all her outfits, expressions and additions, so she's all ready for the ball. Isn't she lovely?
Unfortunately for her, we're only slowly getting there. We're almost through day 4, the first of her route's three days, though fortunately that's the longest of the days. Little by little I'm getting closer to this project getting somewhere.

Last edited by Mammon on Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

frylander
Regular

#19 Post by frylander »

Hi there, just wanted to give my little bit of feedback from what I read.

1-I do like the premise of the boy with a cold heart and the chairman trying to get him to be kind again, that's a great and compelling setting. However if it turns out to be just that and it plays out like some dating simulator in which all you do is select the girl you'd rather date, it may come out as dull.

However if there is a story unfolding on top of all that and it changes depending on what girl you choose, then it can be great.

I'm just not very interested overall in these kind of stories that all they have to them is their different love relationships like harem games or those sort of things. It doesn't mean it's bad, just that I don't personally like them. At least not over other kinds of stories with more meaning.

Some of them are very well done but you get the point. This is more about personal preference though. And I'm guessing there will be more to your story than that, I don't think you can fill 400000k words with just fanservice.

But what I'm trying to say is that for me what's more important is the story unfolding behind the scenes rather than the possible relationships.

2: I liked all the characters from what I read about them. My only complain could be that Salia and Charlotte may be too similar in the sense that they both are kind and all that, but I feel like Salia isn't that good to begin with so there's that. Just make sure that they don't end up being too similar to each other in their personalities.

3: Not exactly something I want to know, but a tip I would like to give you. If you are going to have lots of names be it from reigns or characters, you may want to consider having some sort of in-game map like the one you displayed below the post so the player can keep track of names and places at any time. And something similar should be done with the characters if there are going to be too many of them.

Also I don't know if it's the case, but the font you used for the images is a bit hard to read sometimes especially once it starts to get small, If you are using that one for the ingame text I would recommend changing it to a more legible one.

As for the sprites they look good so far, and you got lots of them so that's impressive. You surely got yourself into a lot of work here. That's what happens with visual novels and that's why I decided to make mine a kinetic novel rather. I don't see myself writing 400000k words without losing my sanity. So congrats for that, lol.

Overall you are doing something impressive here and you are showing some dedication, so I can only guess you have an interesting story to tell. Keep up the good work!

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran

#20 Post by Mammon »

Oh my, I haven't updated this in a while and the images have been hit with no longer existing. Reuploaded everything and have quite a few things to show.

Laziness for the win, a total of 6 CGs for 5-15 scenes to minimise work!

Say hello to the family, because what kind of romance story wouldn't have highjinks with a protective father and an awkward mother? (The answer is most VNs)

And finally, there's no regency story without some regicide, and the people to do that. Also other forms of intrigue.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

DirkB
Regular
Projects: 7th Goddess
Tumblr: 7thgoddess-vn

#21 Post by DirkB »

I am not so much into romance focused novels, but I really like the idea of this one, because of the link with far reaching consequences for the world depending on which princess is chosen and their very distinct personalities.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#22 Post by Zelan »

I really like how you've drawn the lady in the red dress. The way that she holds her head and sets her mouth communicates her personality without any dialogue whatsoever. (And her dress is pretty fabulous.)

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran

#23 Post by Mammon »

*Sorry, double post*
Last edited by Mammon on Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran

#24 Post by Mammon »

DirkB wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:51 am I am not so much into romance focused novels, but I really like the idea of this one, because of the link with far reaching consequences for the world depending on which princess is chosen and their very distinct personalities.
Thanks, I hope that my way of introducing those elements to the story will indeed be to your liking, and that you'll enjoy the story once it's out!
Zelan wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:40 pm I really like how you've drawn the lady in the red dress. The way that she holds her head and sets her mouth communicates her personality without any dialogue whatsoever. (And her dress is pretty fabulous.)
Indeed, she certainly came out with a strong aristocratic aura of authority. (Ironic because she has no such authority in her behaviour. Maybe I'll switch her in for Salia's mother to fix that.)
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran

#25 Post by Mammon »

Mammon: So, Prince William, would you like your grande palace to be filtered real images or handdrawn BGs that will look simplistic and crude?

William: Both those options sound rather lazy, peasant.

Mammon: But I've already got so much work left to do for your project.

William: Fine, then just give me the best of both.

Mammon: Please no.

William: Please yes.

Mammon: *Sigh*

Mammon: This is going to take forever.

Mammon: But damn shall it be grand!

Ballroom bg done. And it only took me about 6 hours or so... :(
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran

#26 Post by Mammon »

Finally, the first draft of Princess Charlotte's route is finished. Took me 8 months where the common route and Salia combined took me 6. Hope Veronica won't be so hard to get through...

Anyway, for whatever reason I decided that William needed a hobby. And what's more manly and majestic than falconeering? That's when I learned that falcon babies are absolutely adorable and still manly somehow. So yes, definate must. Behold; Mr Fluffles!
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

nekobara
Regular

#27 Post by nekobara »

Hmm. It seems that Mr. Fluffles is more handsome than William. I propose that the princesses marry him instead! 😺

On a serious note, I've noticed that Salia doesn't look very vicious. She actually looks kind of angelic...
*meow*

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#28 Post by Zelan »

Yeah, I was already really excited for this game, but the falcon totally sells it. I would gladly commit any number of atrocities for the chance to play this game.

AntiquedFae
Veteran

#29 Post by AntiquedFae »

Falconry! Yes, this is the best possible hobby. I have really been looking forward to this gargantuan magnificent monstrosity of a game but...the main character being a falconer is apparently what it takes for me to comment.

Also I must say that you are absolutely amazing to be doing anything near the scale of this. Amazing.
You can call me Fae!
I offer proofreading and ideabouncing. You can find out more in my thread.

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran

#30 Post by Mammon »

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, @nekobara and @zelan, forgot about this thread for a while.

@nekobara: Unfortunately there shall be no option to romance or romance with Mr. Fluffles, for he is still very much underaged. I don't want the cops to come knocking on my door, after all.
Thank you for your concern about Princess Salia, I agree that she doesn't look all too malvolent. Then again, I don't want the characters to look too much like their straightforward personality, and Salia is supposed to look beautiful. And she is a love interest, I do hope that everyone will like her on her own route at least. Likeable imagery is a neccesity for that.

@Zelan: *Quickly looks left and right before handing Zelan a list of atrocities that need committing.*

@AntiquedFae: I'm glad you and everyone else like the baby bird, seems like I've accidentally made myself a little mascot for the VN.
Yes, the size of the project is quite amazing indeed. *Continues to sit in the corner, depressed and lamenting that TTP will probably take a million more years to finish.*
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?