Run-book [SuNoFes 17] [BxB, fantasy, adventure] [Demo]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
ashegads
Regular
Completed: Amaranth, Hart Connection, The D (Stands for Demon)[Demo], Naxos, Meninx
Projects: My Only Sunshine, Once Upon an Electric Dream, Battle Royal for Your Heart
Tumblr: pixelsandpins
Soundcloud: pixelsandpins
itch: pixelsandpins

Run-book [SuNoFes 17] [BxB, fantasy, adventure] [Demo]

#1 Post by ashegads »

BxB, fantasy, adventure,
18+ optional
Writing, Main Route-100%
Writing, Individual Routes-20%
Sprites-redoing and illustrating more expressive sprites
BG's-1/10?
CG-lord help me
GUI-100% done
Image Image Image
The Story
Run-book follows three young tabletop enthusiasts as they’re haphazardly pulled into an unexpected world of magic and fantasy. As they travel across country to get back home, they find that the magic they’ve been chasing all their lives, may have been closer then they realize the whole time.

The Characters

Our MC and the ultimate dungeon master. For some reason his friends keep turning to him for advice on what to do.

Good-natured, kind, and book smart, his emotions sometimes get the better of him. Plagued by strange hallucinations throughout his childhood, being brought into a new world may reveal an answer to their source.

Full of snark and vinegar, Rhys puts a distance between himself and his friends. With a cool head and quick wits, it’s worth putting up with his sass for his ability to problem solve quickly.

A knight from an ancient tradition, he joins our hapless adventurers on the road. But magic does not a peaceful world make, and there is dissent of the ranks of his noble order.

Leal and Xarles
Double eye lids, sharp teeth, and scales, and yet a most human welcome to a strange new world. Putting food in their bellies and hope in their heart, these dragon-people are more than happy to be a guide and lend a helping hand.
Last edited by ashegads on Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:17 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Ashe·Pixels and Pins Studio
Voice Acting·Writing·Game Design
Tumblr·Twitter·YouTube·Site

ashegads
Regular
Completed: Amaranth, Hart Connection, The D (Stands for Demon)[Demo], Naxos, Meninx
Projects: My Only Sunshine, Once Upon an Electric Dream, Battle Royal for Your Heart

Re: Run-book [Yaoi game jame, SuNoFes 17] [BxB, fantasy, adv

#2 Post by ashegads »

I've spent the first week just writing, and between the amount of game I've planned out and taking multiple things into consideration, I'll likely only have the demo ready before the end of the yaoi jam. In any case...

I had hoped to have something slightly more interesting to show, but as I’ve been pretty much just writing (over 12k words this week, and I'm not quite done with the main route), there’s nothing quite fancy to really show off, yet.
That being said, I still think I can give you glimpse into the story and the main characters. I will be doing full character cards for them some time in the weeks to come.

ashegads
Regular

Re: Run-book [Yaoi game jame, SuNoFes 17] [BxB, fantasy, adv

#3 Post by ashegads »

Meet the MC and the love interests in their full sprite forms. GUI is done which is...weird. Writing is only up to 17k words. That being said, though, I intend to put out a demo by the end of July.

ashegads
Regular

Re: Run-book [SuNoFes 17] [BxB, fantasy, adventure]

#4 Post by ashegads »

We're up to 22k words, and the main route is 95% done.

illuminate001
Veteran
Completed: DSGR, Let's MEAT Adam, Sexy Litter, Bara Boarders
Projects: Secret Project
Organization: Soulsoft Electronic Arts
Tumblr: soulsoftea
itch: soulsoftea

#5 Post by illuminate001 »

I really appreciate how diverse the different boys are both looks wise but primarily in ethnicity! Yay!

Also, is Jovanie Filipino by chance? His last name sounds very Filipino to me :)
ImageImage
ImageImage

ashegads
Regular

#6 Post by ashegads »

illuminate001 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:05 pm I really appreciate how diverse the different boys are both looks wise but primarily in ethnicity! Yay!

Also, is Jovanie Filipino by chance? His last name sounds very Filipino to me :)
Thanks! I just really like playing with different skin tones and face shapes, and it just makes everything so much more visibly and narratively interesting.

And quite shrewd! It's some Deep Lore from the setting, and it won't get totally explored in the game, unfortunately. Though he himself isn't technically Filipino (because the Philippines doesn't exist on the world he's from), his forefathers were among a group that left the Philippines at the beginning of the Spanish Colonial Era to the world on which the story takes place. They assimilated into the local population, but a lot of the Tagalog ethnolinguistic traditions they brought with them stuck through the generations.

illuminate001
Veteran
Completed: DSGR, Let's MEAT Adam, Sexy Litter, Bara Boarders
Projects: Secret Project
Organization: Soulsoft Electronic Arts
Tumblr: soulsoftea
itch: soulsoftea

Re: Run-book [SuNoFes 17] [BxB, fantasy, adventure] [Demo]

#7 Post by illuminate001 »

Hi Ashegads,

Just wanted to say I played the demo and I have to say I really enjoyed myself. I was sad when it abruptly came to an end I wanted to see so much more! lol

Notably, I should mention that I really like your writing style. The narration and dialog came across so natural, and although the dialog was contemporary and not literary...it wasn't campy. Also, you have a knack for describing things so clearly in as few words as possible. I would say your whole style is concise, crisp and economic. I'm totally going to take note of trying to incorporate some of what you do so naturally in my next VN.

I really wish you the best of luck and can't wait to see the full game!
ImageImage
ImageImage

ashegads
Regular

Re: Run-book [SuNoFes 17] [BxB, fantasy, adventure] [Demo]

#8 Post by ashegads »

illuminate001 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:30 pm Hi Ashegads,

Just wanted to say I played the demo and I have to say I really enjoyed myself. I was sad when it abruptly came to an end I wanted to see so much more! lol

Notably, I should mention that I really like your writing style. The narration and dialog came across so natural, and although the dialog was contemporary and not literary...it wasn't campy. Also, you have a knack for describing things so clearly in as few words as possible. I would say your whole style is concise, crisp and economic. I'm totally going to take note of trying to incorporate some of what you do so naturally in my next VN.

I really wish you the best of luck and can't wait to see the full game!
*Arrives late to the party with warm, flat beer*

This is what I get for not checking the forum thread.

GOSH THANK YOU! And the ending of the demo was a hard choice to make, but it ended up coming down to what backgrounds I had ready and where I felt like the story found a little bit of pause.

I've been working on the writing diligently, and it's getting closer. I'm trying to ramp back up into it again after having to back off slightly for personal reasons.