RSP - Rock, Scissors, Paper... I know, lame name

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

RSP - Rock, Scissors, Paper... I know, lame name

#1 Post by mugenjohncel »

OK Right now it's more like "Proof of Concept" in it's current form... also totally 100% inspired by LVUER's RSP Game (Warning NSFW)...

It's nothing special... Boy meets Girl and they play RSP where the outcome has far reaching implications... at least in the main project...

My aim is to make an easily scalable RSP Game (Rock, Scissors, Paper) inside a Visual Novel. What I posted here is the clean straight vanilla version RSP... like I said, proof of concept... the actual real one is much MUCH more complex (and way too buggy to be shown to the world) since it involves opponents and the player actively cheating and counter-cheating to outdo each other in an RSP game.
RSP_Test_Game-1.0-pc.zip
(31.68 MiB) Downloaded 73 times
Extract, Enjoy...

OK Long story short... the code works... it's very messy (at least from my point of view) and it gets messier the more characters and situations I add on top of it so my immediate aim is to see if there is a much more efficient way to code what I have here instead of having 6 to 10 layers of calls which I believe is bad for some reason... so uh... I'm leaving the code open if anyone is interested in taking a peek at it... please...

Looking forward to comments, suggestions and uh...

While were at it... if you know ways how you can cheat on an RSP game, please post ideas, I could really use some ideas right now that I can include in the gameplay...

Placeholder music: "Choong kwai la" by Yoyoy Villame

"POOF" (Disappears)

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

Re: RSP - Rock, Scissors, Paper... I know, lame name

#2 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

I think you would need some form of strategy or gaming the results to keep the random chance from being frustrating. Like you say, a cheating mechanic would help with that.

One cheat I can think of is saying your 'move' as you throw it - but what you say and what you throw are different. Like you say, "Rock!" as you swing your arm down to throw scissors. If you are lucky, you'll confuse the opponent and give them enough time to throw a counter, like paper, but since you are actually playing scissors, you win. The thing is, such a cheat would only work once or twice before the opponent started ignoring whatever you said.

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#3 Post by mugenjohncel »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:33 am I think you would need some form of strategy or gaming the results to keep the random chance from being frustrating. Like you say, a cheating mechanic would help with that.

One cheat I can think of is saying your 'move' as you throw it - but what you say and what you throw are different. Like you say, "Rock!" as you swing your arm down to throw scissors. If you are lucky, you'll confuse the opponent and give them enough time to throw a counter, like paper, but since you are actually playing scissors, you win. The thing is, such a cheat would only work once or twice before the opponent started ignoring whatever you said.
This... I actually went one step further by actually implementing a Timer to give you a small window to execute this trick... if you failed to get it within the time frame, your opponent will call you on it and depending on who your opponent is, you will either get away with it scratch free or you will be penalized in some way. Also, if you are caught cheating far too many times, it will affect your reputation and will affect your chances of getting to fight decent (aka cheating) opponents...

In other news... some GUI and bug fixes...
screenshot0020.png

darktrouzer05

#4 Post by darktrouzer05 »

Can you play this on a macbook, and if so, how?