Homecoming - Stop at Nothing! [Comedy/School-Life/GXB]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
blackcross12
Regular
Completed: The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea, The Rose of Segunda, Homecoming, Heaven's Grave,
Projects: Best Friends Forever [IP], The Thorns of War [IP], Rise of the Phoenix [IP]
Organization: Blackcross & Taylor
Tumblr: blackcross-taylor
itch: blackcrosstaylor

Homecoming - Stop at Nothing! [Comedy/School-Life/GXB]

#1 Post by blackcross12 »

Bryony Brice is an Ordinary High School Girl in her Senior year at Halifax High. That is until tragedy strikes and she is left with only a week to become Homecoming Queen.

But that doesn't mean the Halifax Honeys, the school's most popular clique, are going to make it easy for her.

With the help of her friends, can Bryony defeat her rivals and take the crown? And possibly find a date along the way?

Embark on a tale of popularity, epic battles and a teensy bit of Star Wars, where only the strong survive!

The Friends

Bryony* Brice (*First name can be changed)
An ordinary high-school girl who is suddenly tasked with reaching the lofty heights of Homecoming Queen in only 6 days.
Can she make it? You decide!

Sangeeta Korrapati
An honour roll student, Sangeeta is hoping to study architecture at college and is especially interested in the construction techniques of ancient civilisations. She has a secret crush on their home-room teacher, Mr Rubens.

Catriona ‘Cat’ Salvatore
With a love of fashion and dating, Cat dreams of becoming a cosmetic chemist despite her uncanny affinity for engines inherited from her autoshop-owning parents.

The Honeys

Mei Hyakutake
The only daughter of rich, snobbish parents, Mei has three main loves in her life: looking down on people, being mean, and Mr Rubens.
Her parents approve of two out of three - just don't mention her older brother.

Amy Freeborn
Head cheerleader and fellow Mr Rubens groupie, Amy divides her time between her cheerleading duties and stalking her teacher on social media.
Known, surprisingly, for her excellent Halloween costumes each year, the members of the anime club seem to hold her in awe.

Allegra D'Souza
The only child of parents who run their own law firm, Allegra is studying hard to follow in their footsteps and delights in threatening her fellow students with suits, as well as crushing her opponents on the debate team.

Hannah Johnston
The younger sister of the F1 racing legend, Lewis Johnston, Hannah has the attitude of a superstar and she knows it. When not pushing around the other students, she enjoys attending practises as part of the school track team.

Sophia Winters
As the top student in the school, the Homecoming crown isn't the only accolade Sophia has her sights set on. Determined to become Valedictorian, she follows a strict regime of study, meditation and, oddly enough, physical training, though that doesn't stop her finding time for the occasional snarky comment to the less popular girls.

The Boys

Eric Rubens
A trainee English teacher on his college placement, Mr Ruben's has all the making of a great educator - as long as he can stave off the droves of girls all wanting a date with him.

Thesh Khefre
A transfer student from the Middle East, Thesh is hoping Halifax High will be a fresh start, though he knows his outward appearance may make this dream difficult to realise.

???
A mystery boy. I really can't say any more without ruining a big chunk of plot. ^_^

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Team
Writing: Blackcross
Sprites and CGs: johhans
Backgrounds: MakeFox

This game will be commercial and will be priced at around $3-$4

Hello all

I don't think anyone will recognise it, but this was actually a project we started (in the most nominal sense) back in Nano2015. It didn't get very far then, but we're back now with a new art team, ready to make this happen.

The game is a comedy (I hope >_<) and pokes gentle fun and some of the more silly/widespread otome tropes, though never at the player for liking them - I wouldn't be here if I didn't love these games ^_^

At the moment, johhans is working on the sprites - only Bryony, Sangeeta and Cat to go! Poor MakeFox is still finishing the backgrounds for 'The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea', but he should available soon for the backgrounds and GUI. The writing is pretty much done, though I may add some more scenes once I have an idea of the flow after the coding has been completed.

And that's it, so far. Please let us know what you think of the premise and thanks for reading.

Blackcross
Last edited by blackcross12 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImageImageImage

blackcross12
Regular
Completed: The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea, The Rose of Segunda, Homecoming, Heaven's Grave,
Projects: Best Friends Forever [IP], The Thorns of War [IP], Rise of the Phoenix [IP]

Re: Homecoming - Stop at Nothing! [Comedy/School-Life/GXB]

#2 Post by blackcross12 »

Hello all

We have a protagonist! Well, a sprite for one, at least. I've updated the first post with Bryony's main sprite; she has a few differents outfits but nothing I can show off without spoilers. ^_^

With just Cat and Sangeeta left, I'm currently coding and drawing very poor filler backgrounds for Makefox to use when he's ready. I'm hoping to have a demo out by early November, but I'll have more news on that closer to the time.

Thanks for reading

Blackcross
Attachments
Honeys.png

blackcross12
Regular

#3 Post by blackcross12 »

Hello all

Well, I've just uploaded the last of the sprites (Cat and Sangeeta) onto the main post. johhans is now beginning the CGs, while the coding is about 50% complete on the main path.

Thanks for reading

Blackcross

blackcross12
Regular

#4 Post by blackcross12 »

Hello all

Just a quick update. I've got the first CG back from johhans -It's Bryony's mom!- and the second one should be completed soon.

I've also been working on the background for Sophia's challenge. It's my first foray into pixel art and I'm absurdly happy with it. ^_^

I want all the Honeys' challenges to have certain styles or graphical additions to the usual backgrounds that fit with the theme of the challenge.

Some, of course, are more distinctive than others - can anyone guess what Sophie's challenge might be from the background? ^_^

Oh, and lastly, I might be needing a playtester for Homecoming soon. Please let me know if you might be interested.

Thanks for reading

Blackcross
Attachments
intro.jpg
screenshot1.jpg

blackcross12
Regular

#5 Post by blackcross12 »

Hello all

We've got some good progress to report. Coding is about two weeks away from being finished and johhans is flying through the CGs, so we are definitely on target for a November demo release.

We've also been working on the GUI and I've a title screen courtesy of MakeFox to share, plus one of the CGs.

Thanks for reading

Blackcross
Attachments
ambulance.png
Title_01_selection_20170910.jpg

blackcross12
Regular

#6 Post by blackcross12 »

Hello all

I've just got the art for another or the challenges back from ayachin today - she took a quick break from BFF to help on Homecoming.

These are for Amy's challenge - Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what it might involve? ^_^

In other news, I'll likely finish the coding by the end of the week and the CGs are coming along - johhans has just reached the halfway mark (only 8 left now out of a total 16).

Thanks for reading

Blackcross
WT.png
AS.png
VA.png
Attachments
TK.png

AntiquedFae
Veteran

#7 Post by AntiquedFae »

The images in your original post don't seem to be working for me--I wonder if this might be happening to others as well?

Otherwise, I'm not usually much into the slice of life genre, but it seems like you'll be tackling it in a more unique way. I also have to ask because I'm too curious: is this game set in Nova Scotia, Canada, or does the Halifax refer to another locale?
You can call me Fae!
I offer proofreading and ideabouncing. You can find out more in my thread.

blackcross12
Regular

#8 Post by blackcross12 »

@AntiquedFae

Hi there, thanks for the comment. Hmm, I wonder if there's an issue with where the pictures are stored. I'll get a couple of people to test it out for me and see. Thanks for the heads-up.

Yeah, I couldn't really say this game was slice-of-life unless one's day-to-day life is very weird and, no, it's not supposed to be the Halifax in Nova Scotia.

I just made up a town name, to be honest. It's supposed to be somewhere in the US towards the south (somewhere nice and warm ^_^).

Blackcross

blackcross12
Regular

#9 Post by blackcross12 »

Hello all

Just a quick up date this time - coding is pretty much as finished as it can be at this point, so I'm just waiting on the art. In the meantime, here's a screenshot of the prom with filler background. You miiight be able to see the Star Wars influence if you look hard enough ^_^

Thanks for reading

Blackcross
Attachments
Prom.JPG

Donofrio

#10 Post by Donofrio »

blackcross1r2 wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:48 am Hello all

Just a quick up date this time - coding is pretty much as finished as it can be at this point, so I'm just waiting on the art. In the meantime, here's a screenshot of the prom with filler background. You miiight be able to see the Star Wars influence if you look hard enough ^_^

Thanks for reading

Blackcross
I definitely see the Star Wars influence! Looks good Blackcross!
Last edited by Donofrio on Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

blackcross12
Regular

#11 Post by blackcross12 »

@Donofrio

Thanks for the comment. Yeah, at this point I'm kind of just waiting for a crack team of Disney's lawyer commandos to turn up and kick my ass, lol.