A Maid's Tale(GxG,SoL,Drama,Comedy)(SuNoFes)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
aliciarune
Regular

A Maid's Tale(GxG,SoL,Drama,Comedy)(SuNoFes)

#1 Post by aliciarune »

Hi, Starry Sky Studios here. I'd like to finally introduce our studios first game, A Maid's Tale, for the SuNoFes jam. My artist and I have been working on this game for about two months now, though we decided that SuNoFes was a good start for our first game.

Story-Elena is down on her luck. With having lost another job and with being kicked out of her apartment, she nows wonders the streets hoping to find work. Luckily for her she is able to find work as a maid for a household, but the minute she gets the job she realizes it may not be as good as she thought it would be. The household holds three sisters, each with their own quirks and personality. While Kira is fine with having Elena around, her sisters Jenna and Mina seems a bit more against the idea. Still with this being her only job and new home, Elena has no choice but to keep the job. But as she grows close to the family, she'll find not only a new home for herself, but also people that truly begin to care for her. But Elena will have to be careful, as though this household is seemingly happy, dark secrets lie within each sisters's life.

Characters

Elena-Our protagonist (23). She's lost her job and apartment, but luckily thanks to Kira, has found a job as a new maid, though the job may be a bit harder than she originally thought. Elena is a hardworking and friendly girl, who has always struggled with jobs. Though she works hard, she has had bad luck with keeping a job for long as sometimes her nerves have gotten the best of her. Still she tries her best to stay positive and do her best, though even she can have a bit of a temper when pushed to the edge. Much of her past is a mystery, but due to some events in her life, she has become quite the selfless person. Elena likes working, cooking, sweets, and reading.

Kira-Middle sister of the family (22). Unlike her sisters, Kira is purely for having a maid in the house. Of course her reasons for this is due to her not wanting to clean, but it's thank to her Elena gets a job. Kira is friendly, outgoing, flirty, though she is lazy and has a bad habit of teasing others. Sometimes it can be hard for one to fully trust her words, as she has a bad habit of lying or keeping secrets. Kira though is the most fun of her sisters and likes to take life easy. At times she finds her sisters a little boring, but cares about them. Seemingly she is the most happy of the three, but she has many secrets and often stays out late for unknown reasons. Also Kira is the type likes expressing herself and isn't afraid with doing things out of the norm.

Jenna-Eldest sister of the family (25). She is a shy woman who, despite being the oldest, rarely goes out of the house. She loves and cares for her sisters, but her shy and at times awkward nature can make it hard for them to get Jenna. She can be considered the outcast of the family, but also the most kind. She also can get easily nervous, but when around the right people, she is quite outgoing and cute. Unlike Kira, Jenna doesn't hold a grudge against their dad for leaving and even talks to him, but worries if the family will be able to stay together. Jenna is also naive when it comes to romance. Her favorite genres are fantasy and romance novels, and she can get quite into the world of books.

Mina-The youngest sister (17). Mina can be seen as the sole reasons why the house is ever clean or her sisters are ever fed. While good with cleaning, her cooking is something that one should avoid. Mina may be the youngest of the three but she is the most reliable and trustworthy. She takes her studies seriously and is quite popular at school due to her hard working nature. Still, Mina can have quite a temper when it comes to her sisters (mostly Kira), and people she doesn't like. She is fully against Elena coming to live with them, but to why isn't fully known. Though at times hot-headed, Mina has a good heart and often stands up for people who are in need of help.

Cecilia-Friend of Mina (15). The pair go to the same school, but Cecilia barely seems to show up, often being home schooled due to unknown reasons. Unlike Mina, Cecilia isn't popular with her peers and is often picked on due to her quiet yet odd nature. Cecilia though is quite smart and enjoys nature, hating modern things. She spends a lot of her time outside or wandering around nature (like the ocean or forest), and some might find it odd how she can keep up with school. Still Cecilia isn't the shy type, and actually can be quite childish. She isn't one to trust others easily either and can even be clingy to those she likes. Still she is quite perceptive and can tells when another person is lying.

Muffy-Cecilia's aunt and caretaker (23). Though she cares for her niece, Muffy isn't the most reliable parent in the world. She often let's Cecilia's do as she pleases, but keeps the girl well fed. Muffy is also the next store neighbor of the sisters and has known Kira since they were in high school. The pair can be seen as rivals in a way, and she will try her best to outdo Kira when she needs to. Funny enough she has some similarities to Kira, being laid back and enjoying flirting with others. However she is far more honest with others and can be quite scary when she's angry. Muffy, though 23, doesn't know what she wants to do with her life. She is the type that tries to find beauty in everything as well, and takes a liking to Elena.

~More Art Coming Soon~

Credits
Aliciarune~Head Writer, Coder, and Project Lead.
KCD491-Lead Artist (Sprites and CGs)
(If you're interested in helping out with this game, please message me.)

~Game Info~

Currently the game is about 10,000 words. The common route I'm hoping to get done by the end of the month, which I hopefully will and have at least two character routes done by the end of August. The game itself is very long, but is around medium length. Currently we have three routes planned and a secret route, but if all goes well we'll have an extra route as well.

A Maid's Tale will be a free game and we're hoping it'll help us make a mark in the visual novel industry. Currently I'm hoping to get a small demo done of the common route done so we can get feedback. Now I know there's not much here, but any feedback would be great on the art and characters. Hope to get some people interested in our game =).
Last edited by aliciarune on Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

runeraccoon
Veteran
itch: runeraccoon

Re: A Maid's Tale(GxG,SoL,Drama,Comedy)(SuNoFes)

#2 Post by runeraccoon »

Damn, the art is very top notch. I'm sure it will set you apart from the rest of GxG market... or even VNs in general. About the story... It's pretty standard so far. I don't think the description makes me want to get to know them better, but damn those arts are exquisite! The coloring/shading, especially, is what makes them really, really good.

I think I have to give a special mention to the certain prominent anatomy of the girls. I love Muffy's and Mina's, but I don't know why the first three are bothering me. Especially Elena, the voice in the back of my head nags at me when looking at hers. The hands are also lacking in contrast with the whole art... But still, the whole character arts are already pleasing to look at!

I'm looking forward for this GxG free game. Good luck with your Sunofes jam!

LeonDaydreamer
Veteran
Projects: A Near Dawn, Put A Sock In It!, Ghosts Are Good Hosts

#3 Post by LeonDaydreamer »

They're all so busty...
KCD491 is an awesome artist! :)
ImageImageImageImage

parttimestorier
Veteran
Completed: No Other Medicine, Well Met By Moonlight, RE:BURN, The Light at the End of the Ocean, Take A Hike!, Wizard School Woes
Projects: Seeds of Dreams
itch: janetitor

#4 Post by parttimestorier »

This sounds really cute! Good luck - I'm looking forward to reading it. :) I anticipate that Mina might be my favourite, since I like characters who are caring and reliable, and her design is also super adorable.
ImageImageImage

aliciarune
Regular

#5 Post by aliciarune »

@ runeraccoon

Sorry for the late reply. It's been a long difficult month for me and so things have been a bit slow with game development and me coming on the forums.

Anyway, I'm glad you like the art. Our studio wants to have pretty art and good stories. For the story part, I get it's not the most amazing thing in the world. To be honest, I want it to be simple for players to enjoy, but it seems some of the routes are getting a bit darker. If you like more fluffy yuri, Read Mina and Cecilia's routes once their done, but if you want more drama go to Kira or Jenna, though Kira is the darkest of the routes.

As for Elena, I personally can't see what's wrong with her, but I'm not an artist. I think I can kind of see though, like maybe her arms are a bit too small? But still, I'm glad the art is still pleasing for you. I wan the story to match KCD491's beautiful art style =)

@ LeonDaydreamer

Yes, you are very right XD. I'm hoping on our next game, I can have more diversity. I may have gotten a bit carried away with this one though DX. But, I'm glad you like the art style =).

@parttimestorier

I'm really glad you like Mina =D. Her routes isn't super dramatic, but the romance between her and Elena I think will be nice. Also, I'm really glad you like the art and story =D.

Anyway, sorry for the small delay guys. I just wanted to reply back to everyone, cause it's been a while DX. Soon though, I'll have a new update on the game =)

YaminoOkami
Regular
Projects: 17th Astral

#6 Post by YaminoOkami »

Art is incredibly beautiful! I especially like eyes and hair coloring and shading, definitely S class art. True Elena's coloring seems a bit different from other's, my guess would be artist used different brush for her shading, eater that or her art was maximized a bit too much and got a bit pixelised, it's still very good but you can notice a difference when it stands right next to other characters. I especially like Kira's design, her hair is absolutely stunning even compared to other characters and her face really looks lady-like. I also like Cecilia and her design that looks like cuteness and beauty in one, as well as Mina's design "cool beauty".

Story sounds interesting, and I like that you are offering both fluffy yuri and more dramatic routes (True I really hope dramatic/dark doesn't mean it has to have bad ending and that it is still possible to get happy endings).

Personality wise, my favorites are Cecilia and Mina. I must say I find Kira and Jenna personality compared to apprentice to be reverse, you sure you didn't misplaced their character art? :)

Those huge breasts worry me a bit, if I didn't read everything you said I might think it is a fanservice VN, I hope that isn't a case, otherwise I am really looking forward to this VN.

aliciarune
Regular

#7 Post by aliciarune »

YaminoOkami wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:26 am Art is incredibly beautiful! I especially like eyes and hair coloring and shading, definitely S class art. True Elena's coloring seems a bit different from other's, my guess would be artist used different brush for her shading, eater that or her art was maximized a bit too much and got a bit pixelised, it's still very good but you can notice a difference when it stands right next to other characters. I especially like Kira's design, her hair is absolutely stunning even compared to other characters and her face really looks lady-like. I also like Cecilia and her design that looks like cuteness and beauty in one, as well as Mina's design "cool beauty".

Story sounds interesting, and I like that you are offering both fluffy yuri and more dramatic routes (True I really hope dramatic/dark doesn't mean it has to have bad ending and that it is still possible to get happy endings).

Personality wise, my favorites are Cecilia and Mina. I must say I find Kira and Jenna personality compared to apprentice to be reverse, you sure you didn't misplaced their character art? :)

Those huge breasts worry me a bit, if I didn't read everything you said I might think it is a fanservice VN, I hope that isn't a case, otherwise I am really looking forward to this VN.
Ah, thank you for catching the mix up DX. I put the wrong personalities to the first tow girls :lol: .

Anyway, I'm really glad you like the art style. She's done an amazing job with it in my opinion. As for Elena, I do you see what you mean for her. Now either I uploaded it weird or maybe something happened in the coloring when I put it together? I'll have to check closer at it. Glad you like Kira's design. Her's is my favorite to =D. And am really happy you like the others as well. Cecilia is very adorable.

Mina is easy to write in terms of personality. She won't have a super dramatic route, but it's fun to write her in all honesty XD. As for the story, glad you like it. This game is meant to give the reader a fluffy feeling, but also dealing with some darker stuff (Kira's route.). Don't worry,I plan to have a happy ending for the drama routes =D.

And yeah, that's my fault. They are a big, and there are a few fanserivce scenes with Kira and Muffy, but that's not why the game is being created. It's the story and characters that are the main focus =).

PS-I just realized I think maybe you were talking about Jenna? She's the green haired girl. I'm sorry I got them mixed up DX. I love both designs, but really like Kira's cool look

YaminoOkami
Regular

#8 Post by YaminoOkami »

aliciarune wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:17 pm
Ah, thank you for catching the mix up DX. I put the wrong personalities to the first tow girls :lol: .

Anyway, I'm really glad you like the art style. She's done an amazing job with it in my opinion. As for Elena, I do you see what you mean for her. Now either I uploaded it weird or maybe something happened in the coloring when I put it together? I'll have to check closer at it. Glad you like Kira's design. Her's is my favorite to =D. And am really happy you like the others as well. Cecilia is very adorable.

Mina is easy to write in terms of personality. She won't have a super dramatic route, but it's fun to write her in all honesty XD. As for the story, glad you like it. This game is meant to give the reader a fluffy feeling, but also dealing with some darker stuff (Kira's route.). Don't worry,I plan to have a happy ending for the drama routes =D.

And yeah, that's my fault. They are a big, and there are a few fanserivce scenes with Kira and Muffy, but that's not why the game is being created. It's the story and characters that are the main focus =).

PS-I just realized I think maybe you were talking about Jenna? She's the green haired girl. I'm sorry I got them mixed up DX. I love both designs, but really like Kira's cool look
Yea I was talking about Jenna (The one with green hair), her green hair is really beautiful and I really like how she looks so lady-like.

I checked closer and yea Elena has some pixelly shadow around her linear, it's noting that can't be easily fixed even if it is something with original art.

Oh and by the way is this ware you officially make updates of progress or is there some other site/forum/blog you do it at, I would like to follow it.

Sign me up for a hype train :)

aliciarune
Regular

#9 Post by aliciarune »

YaminoOkami wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:03 am
aliciarune wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:17 pm

Yea I was talking about Jenna (The one with green hair), her green hair is really beautiful and I really like how she looks so lady-like.

I checked closer and yea Elena has some pixelly shadow around her linear, it's noting that can't be easily fixed even if it is something with original art.

Oh and by the way is this ware you officially make updates of progress or is there some other site/forum/blog you do it at, I would like to follow it.

Sign me up for a hype train :)

Ah okay. I thought you meant here when I realized I accidentally switched them up XD. But I'm glad you think she's lady like. She is and is the most kind of the sisters.

Once we're done some of the clothes, we'll go back to Elena and fix her up. I'll check her main sprite though, as the one here may just be cause I cropped it wrong DX.

And I'm getting that set up. I've got a twitter https://twitter.com/rune_alicia. It's bare at the moment, but I'll start updating in a week or so

pigionsdeliver
Regular
Projects: SSWK, TWA, SDS: The Tail Makes the Fox
itch: pigionsdeliver

#10 Post by pigionsdeliver »

I was following this through Yuri Jam but even if it doesn't make its debut at the end of the month I'm still going to be following its progress.
TBH it's Muffy that has made me really excited to play this. Even though she's not the main route I do enjoy the idea of her being a young guardian and rival and really look forward to her interactions with other characters especially her niece and Kira. I am crossing my fingers that she might get a route in the future but I'd be happy either way. Also, I have an obvious bias for purple haired characters.
I am not 100% sure about the MC. She seems really nice which isn't my default like but all the LI are so cute that I'd still play it.
Small comment is there seems to be quiet a few strange typos on this thread. It can affect the quality of a game if there are too many in the game so making sure you get a good editor [if you haven't one already] would be ideal.
Good luck on the game.

YaminoOkami
Regular

#11 Post by YaminoOkami »

So I was wondering since I see you started a new VN Reska what does that mean for A Maid's Tale? Droped? On hold? Working on both?

I can't really find any info on it. Hope it's not droped.