⁂ Asterism [Action VN] [Astronomy / Zodiac] [Commercial] [DEMO]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Mikomi
Veteran

⁂ Asterism [Action VN] [Astronomy / Zodiac] [Commercial] [DEMO]

#1 Post by Mikomi »

Kotachi Asterio wants to help people that can’t fight for themselves. However, he isn't some sort of superhero- he can just see things other people can't. During the day, he goes to high school with his best friend, Ophi. At night, the two fight off specters, monsters that lurk in shadows and can harm people.

Kotachi received a pair of white revolvers after his grandfather died, forged from the constellation Perseus. His weapons target specters, shadow monsters that invisibly attack people... and the Zodiac. As one of the few who can, it's up to Kotachi to both protect these constellations and use their powers in battle to keep everyone safe.

✩ Kotachi Asterio

Kotachi almost always has a grin on his face and, when he isn’t being lazy, he’s typically upbeat. However, he’s not very outgoing, and Ophi is his only real friend until Vulpe comes along and forces him to meet new people. Kotachi would be perfectly content staying a nobody and destroying specters on his own time, as he hates change. He's a junior in high school and has no clue what his major in college will be- his backup plan is becoming a "professional" urban explorer.

✩ Ophi Lira

Ophi is a very standoffish character who is both distrusting and generally doesn’t like the rest of the cast, save for Kotachi. However, aside from their “teacher”, Vulpe, Ophi is the most experienced in the group, as he’s been able to see specters “for as long as [he] can remember”. Even with Kotachi, though, there are things he doesn’t like to talk about- specifically his family, or lack thereof. However, through all of his rude and snide comments directed at Kotachi, Ophi does care about him.

In game, Ophi is an optional love interest.

✩ Ayane Miu

Ayane is seemingly cold and standoffish, but she doesn’t like people who waste her time or slack off. She is the tentative valedictorian of their class and also the incognito PTA president while also learning the ropes of running a national bank, her father's business. It's safe to say she doesn't exactly like to rest.

✩ Levi Coronil

Levi tries to get along with everyone. He’s an easy going guy, but his calm nature makes him the target of bullying, specifically from football players who think he’s crazy for seeing specters. Within the group, he’s the median, and thinks more with his heart than with his brain. He’s the ace of the soccer team and prefers the company of people as opposed to being alone.

✩ Riko Asterio

Riko is Kotachi’s adopted older sister. She used to be close with Kotachi when they were younger, but a failure to stay in touch or even visit after she moved into a dorm for high school caused the two to grow apart. Riko is mostly the opposite of her brother- she’s outgoing, vibrant, and constantly trying new things. She’s never still except when busy with work and loves to be around others. Most of all, she likes teasing Kotachi.

✩ Dania Tuman

Dania doesn’t get out a lot, not since her grandfather passed away. She was volunteering at the C.O.I.N. outpost with him, healing Aligners, so when he passed away she kept at it, even if she became more reserved. Dania is timid and doesn’t talk a lot to strangers, but isn’t quiet- instead, she only talks a lot to people she’s comfortable being around because of her shyness.

Character Sprites - 100% Done
Writing - 100%
Script Revisions - 100%
Dialogue Scripting - 100%
Music - 100%

Art, writing, scripting - Arimia
Logo - Re:alice
GUI - DS-sans
Music - JadeVater and Roland Seph

★ Overview

Hey guys! This is my newest project, Asterism. It centers around Kotachi and the rest of the cast training and becoming certified Aligners, and eventually him becoming the Protector of the Zodiac. I've already had a few questions about it before, so note- this game is astronomy based, not astrology based. The main cast all use weapons forged from constellations such as Perseus, Serpens, Aquila, and more- each weapon was placed on Earth long ago by ancient powers. Each of the weapons can be upgraded. Later on, Kotachi begins rescuing members of the Zodiac from specters that have infected them- once he has successfully rescued a constellation, he is able to summon them to help fight off specters.

As previously mentioned, there are some boys love elements in it, i.e. Kotachi can end up with a certain boy, but the story itself is very low on romance and it's optional. This is a kinetic novel in terms of storytelling however, so there's only one ending. The word count is about 60k words and will be commercial, around $10. This will be playable on Windows, Mac OS, and Linux.

★ Questions About the Game

⋆ What are you expecting from this?
⋆ Where you confused at any point while reading the descriptions?
⋆ Who is your favorite character?
⋆ Have you ever played an RPG VN? If so, what would you like to see us do better?
Last edited by Mikomi on Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:48 am, edited 32 times in total.

MarkusLappalainen
Regular
Completed: Several short films and games (including VNs)
Projects: A feature film, a short film and my own music
Organization: Audio Cabin from the North
Soundcloud: Markus Lappalainen

Re: Asterism [RPG-VN] [Astronomy] [Some BL]

#2 Post by MarkusLappalainen »

The base idea you started with seems strong and solid :) Unfortunately I dont have the time to read the script so I just have to ask... How much research have you put into the astronomy part? I mean, any lore, how deep does it go? How REAL the stuff is? Does the science stop at names or does it go deeper and if it does, how fast it takes a fictional direction? Sorry, a bit of a sucker for good scifi or pseudo-science :D

Anyhow, may the muses be with you!
Have a happy day! 8)
- Markus Lappalainen, composer & music consultant
Scoring Portfolio

Mikomi
Veteran

#3 Post by Mikomi »

MarkusLappalainen wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:53 pm The base idea you started with seems strong and solid :) Unfortunately I dont have the time to read the script so I just have to ask... How much research have you put into the astronomy part? I mean, any lore, how deep does it go? How REAL the stuff is? Does the science stop at names or does it go deeper and if it does, how fast it takes a fictional direction? Sorry, a bit of a sucker for good scifi or pseudo-science :D

Anyhow, may the muses be with you!
Hate to burst your bubble but it's not going to have hardly any science-y stuff in it, just more focusing on the characters rather than a lot of science stuff. :"D The astronomy theme is prevalent, but it's only really delved into when it comes to the mythos of different constellations and, without spoiling too much, how the constellations correlate with one another in the sky.

MarkusLappalainen
Regular
Completed: Several short films and games (including VNs)
Projects: A feature film, a short film and my own music
Organization: Audio Cabin from the North
Soundcloud: Markus Lappalainen

#4 Post by MarkusLappalainen »

Awwww, bummer :( I bet this will be an awesome story without it too ;)
Have a happy day! 8)
- Markus Lappalainen, composer & music consultant
Scoring Portfolio

AshenhartKrie
Veteran
Tumblr: ashenhartkrie

#5 Post by AshenhartKrie »

This sounds super interesting! I don't have time to read the script right now, but I will later. You mentioned this was a kinetic novel, but you also mention that you can fight and summon creatures/beings. Will there be battle minigames, like in Loren?

tired. grumpy. queer
*uses he/him pronouns*

Mikomi
Veteran

#6 Post by Mikomi »

AshenhartKrie wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:40 am This sounds super interesting! I don't have time to read the script right now, but I will later. You mentioned this was a kinetic novel, but you also mention that you can fight and summon creatures/beings. Will there be battle minigames, like in Loren?
No, the fights will be classic JRPG style with turn-based fights. The story is kinetic as there will only be a few dialogue choices but there is only one ending.

AshenhartKrie
Veteran
Tumblr: ashenhartkrie

#7 Post by AshenhartKrie »

Mikomi wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:10 pm
AshenhartKrie wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:40 am This sounds super interesting! I don't have time to read the script right now, but I will later. You mentioned this was a kinetic novel, but you also mention that you can fight and summon creatures/beings. Will there be battle minigames, like in Loren?
No, the fights will be classic JRPG style with turn-based fights. The story is kinetic as there will only be a few dialogue choices but there is only one ending.
Thats what i meant woops, couldnt figure out the right words to describe what i meant. but we do actually do the fighting like, pick attack and enemy yes?

tired. grumpy. queer
*uses he/him pronouns*

Mikomi
Veteran

#8 Post by Mikomi »

AshenhartKrie wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:56 am
Mikomi wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:10 pm
Thats what i meant woops, couldnt figure out the right words to describe what i meant. but we do actually do the fighting like, pick attack and enemy yes?
Yes!

Mikomi
Veteran

#9 Post by Mikomi »

Some promo art featuring Kotachi and the Zodiac!

Mikomi
Veteran

Re: Asterism [JRPG VN] [Astronomy / Zodiac] [Commercial] [Slight BL]

#10 Post by Mikomi »

Update List 8/9/17!

The Public Script has been updated with more of the story and several edits! Feel free to give a few pages a read and give me feedback on it!

Image Image

Kotachi's first and second walking sprites are done!

Mikomi
Veteran

#11 Post by Mikomi »

Here's a look at some sprite sketches! On the left is a sketch of Ophi's redone sprite, and on the right is a sketch of Leos' sprite!

Mikomi
Veteran

#12 Post by Mikomi »

New sprite WIP! Here's the flat colors for Ophi. I feel like these new sprites express Ophi better.

Mikomi
Veteran

Re: Asterism [JRPG VN] [Astronomy / Zodiac] [Commercial] [BxB]

#13 Post by Mikomi »

The Asterism script is now (for the most part) complete! There still needs to be many edits and additional side conversations added (hence the 99% part in the main post), but the main script is done! It is sitting at a little over 48,000 words right now, but after edits it's projected to be around 51,000.

Check out the Public Script linked in the original post to help me beta read it! Any and all feedback is highly appreciated!

Mikomi
Veteran

#14 Post by Mikomi »

Mega sprite update today!

I've finished the final edits on Kotachi's sprite as well as completely redid Ophi's sprites! The finished sprites are shown in the original post, but here are examples of the sprite changes- on the left is their original sprites and on the right is their finished sprites.

ImageImage

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#15 Post by Zelan »

This looks like it's going to turn out to be a really cool game! I love Ophi's sprite - the freckles are a nice touch (and also too cute). The promo art of Kotachi is awesome as well, you did a fantastic job on the stained-glass aspect of it.

Will there be a way to play it in-browser like with Lights Out? Otherwise, I won't be able to play the game since I use a Mac.