⁂ Asterism [Action VN] [Astronomy / Zodiac] [Commercial] [DEMO]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Mikomi
Veteran

Re: Asterism [JRPG VN] [Astronomy / Zodiac] [Commercial] [BxB]

#16 Post by Mikomi »

Zelan wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:18 pm This looks like it's going to turn out to be a really cool game! I love Ophi's sprite - the freckles are a nice touch (and also too cute). The promo art of Kotachi is awesome as well, you did a fantastic job on the stained-glass aspect of it.

Will there be a way to play it in-browser like with Lights Out? Otherwise, I won't be able to play the game since I use a Mac.
Thank you very much! ♥

The game is (now) most likely to be around 10 hours long, and considering the time length and the fact that it will be commercial I'm afraid the browsers might not be the best for the full game (I don't know how RPG Maker handles saves for browsers, either). However, the demo will be playable in browser, and the full game will be releasing on Windows, Mac OS, and Linux via Itch.io and hopefully Steam.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#17 Post by Zelan »

Mikomi wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:31 pm
Zelan wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:18 pm This looks like it's going to turn out to be a really cool game! I love Ophi's sprite - the freckles are a nice touch (and also too cute). The promo art of Kotachi is awesome as well, you did a fantastic job on the stained-glass aspect of it.

Will there be a way to play it in-browser like with Lights Out? Otherwise, I won't be able to play the game since I use a Mac.
Thank you very much! ♥

The game is (now) most likely to be around 10 hours long, and considering the time length and the fact that it will be commercial I'm afraid the browsers might not be the best for the full game (I don't know how RPG Maker handles saves for browsers, either). However, the demo will be playable in browser, and the full game will be releasing on Windows, Mac OS, and Linux via Itch.io and hopefully Steam.
Oh, I had no idea there was any way for RPG Maker games to be playable on Mac! I'll look forward to its release, then. c:

ameliori
Veteran
Completed: Who is Mike?, Cupid
Projects: The Black Beast [Fairytale]
Organization: FERVENT
Tumblr: ameliori
itch: fervent

#18 Post by ameliori »

Your style is actually really refreshing to see in a VN and I would love to see more of your work.

I think Ophi looks really cute! His character design is my fave so far and story is quite interesting to follow.

I was a little confused in the Story paragraph, cos it felt like a lot of information to take, so maybe separating them into different paragraphs might help? The introduction of C.O.I.N. for example. Also, I want to know more about specters. I still don't know what the specters are exactly. Are they sentient? What is their goal an why does COIN want them dead? How could they control constellations?

Hope to see more on this!
ameliori
TwitterPatreon

Mikomi
Veteran

#19 Post by Mikomi »

ameliori wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:41 am Your style is actually really refreshing to see in a VN and I would love to see more of your work.

I think Ophi looks really cute! His character design is my fave so far and story is quite interesting to follow.

I was a little confused in the Story paragraph, cos it felt like a lot of information to take, so maybe separating them into different paragraphs might help? The introduction of C.O.I.N. for example. Also, I want to know more about specters. I still don't know what the specters are exactly. Are they sentient? What is their goal an why does COIN want them dead? How could they control constellations?

Hope to see more on this!
Thank you so much! I've gotten a few comments on how cute Ophi is, I'm glad people like him as much as I do :D

I'm pretty bad at explaining my own stories in descriptions, so I'll definitely be editing the summaries- thank you for giving me some points to add!

Mikomi
Veteran

#20 Post by Mikomi »

Hello, been a while since I last updated! Development is back in full (well, as full as school and other commitments will allow) on Asterism now that my Yuri Game Jam entry, The Witch in the Forest, is now finished. So, it's cute art time!

I started drawing a tiny chibi of Kotachi a few days ago just as a break from working on Yuri Jam, and here is one of the results from the unfinished chibi. I might use this as a base for the new character sprites, as every character is going to get a new set of walking sprites.

Update 10/24:

I've updated the original post! There are two main changes I made:
  1. I've removed Mitra from the character list
  2. I've deleted the questions for the public script and changed them to questions about the thread/game
A few weeks ago I decided to delete one of the party characters, Mitra, from the game, as he didn't add much to the story, was fleshed out much, and most of his lines could easily be given to other characters. I feel this was a good move, as it makes the cast a bit smaller and more concise, allowing for more time with the existing 4 other party members as well as got rid of essentially dead weight. In deleting him, I'll also be adding a few more character scenes, making it feel more like a visual novel than a word-heavy RPG. I currently have (what I feel to be) too many dungeons, so I'm looking to remove some and replace them with scenes to get to flesh the characters out more.

A beautiful commemorative piece made by spoopy bot on discord valeatory, in honor of Mitra's one piece of artwork.

I also deleted the questions for the public script, as I neglected updating it for a while (leading my personal, actual script to being a lot better due to constant reediting) and I'm finally getting to the last stages of script editing. So, now there are general questions about your thoughts on the game!
Last edited by Mikomi on Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mikomi
Veteran

Re: ⁂ Asterism [JRPG VN] [Astronomy / Zodiac] [Commercial] [BxB]

#21 Post by Mikomi »

Update 11/23:

The full dialogue script + edits are nearing completion, so before long I'll be handing it off to my editors and working primarily on assets. Speaking of assets... I've done some more work in RPG Maker, messing around with different walking sprite sizes and maps to finally come to my gif for today. But first, a small look at Kotachi's current walking sprite!

And now on to the in-game WIP:

It's so in-progress that I didn't notice that those are older sprites for Ophi and Kotachi until after I made the gif.....

Thank you guys for reading, and remember that I have an twitter dedicated to Asterism as well as a page on my devlog for it!

Mikomi
Veteran

#22 Post by Mikomi »

Update 12/18:

Hello hello, more updates! This time around it's mostly walking sprites- but hey, that's still progress!

As you can see, Ophi and Leos' walking sprites are now done and walking about! I'll be working on the main girls' walking sprites next, starting with most likely Ayane. As well as getting rid of that horrendous placeholder textbox

Chibis for the main cast are almost done, so those will be shared once Leos' is done!

In non-artwork related news, the script is still in editing, but it's coming along nicely, currently at around 55k words.

Get ready for a Christmas update later this week!

Mikomi
Veteran

#23 Post by Mikomi »

Update 12/21: Holiday Art Update!

The holiday art update is now here! We have new art featuring the main 6 characters enjoying the snow~

First up we have the three main boys! From left to right it's Leos, Ophi, and Kotachi, all walking in the city.

After that it's the three main girls! From left to right it's Riko, Ayane, and Dania, spending some time together.

Thank you guys for tuning in to updates on Asterism this year! I hope to share more with you on Asterism this following year and be close to finishing it by the end. Until then...

Mikomi
Veteran

#24 Post by Mikomi »

Update 8/7:

Mega update time! Yes, it's finally time for an update! Now that my other VN, That Which Binds Us, is released and on Steam, I can come back to working on Asterism. So, some updates:

- main characters now have finished talking sprites, which are posted on the updated first post here
- Asterism will now by made on Ren'Py instead of RPG Maker MV
- the base battle system has been made
- the script is going through editing and rewriting to make it up to par

I'll be sharing more progress soon~! For quicker updates, join our Discord channel!

Mikomi
Veteran

Re: ⁂ Asterism [JRPG VN] [Astronomy / Zodiac] [Commercial]

#25 Post by Mikomi »

Update 11/29:

Whoops... So I thought I updated this thread a couple weeks ago with new bios, but apparently I didn't click Submit and all the edits never got published, let alone saved... :oops: But anyway!

New character bios are up! These offer some more details about the characters as well as updated sprite art.

Next up is some new gameplay gifs!

Mikomi
Veteran

#26 Post by Mikomi »

Update 12/13:

Seeing as how we're half way through December (wow) I figured I'd post an update with all the new progress so far! Here's a look at the COIN outpost lobby map, aka the medical center Dania volunteers at. As you can also see, Dania, Riko, and V's walking sprites are done as well.

And for probably the biggest change, I'll be experimenting with talking scenes by making them VN-esque with full backgrounds and talking sprites rather than having the talking sprites over the top-down maps. Tell me what you guys think!

And as always, you can get more frequent + longer updates for Asterism and my other projects in the Discord server!

nerupuff
Veteran

#27 Post by nerupuff »

Ah, this is so cute! The story sounds really interesting and I like the unique character art here. They all look so charming! The gameplay gifs showing the GUI really look so well-crafted. It's so fun to see an RPG with VN elements.

My favorite is probably Ayane (I feel like I can also relate to her based on her likes and dislikes lol), design-wise. Plus, I absolutely love the astronomy inspiration for the game.

Looking forward to this. Best of luck, Mikomi!
ImageImage
Hire me for proofreading, editing, and (maybe) writing! ♡ Check here!

Mikomi
Veteran

#28 Post by Mikomi »

nerupuff wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:42 am Ah, this is so cute! The story sounds really interesting and I like the unique character art here. They all look so charming! The gameplay gifs showing the GUI really look so well-crafted. It's so fun to see an RPG with VN elements.

My favorite is probably Ayane (I feel like I can also relate to her based on her likes and dislikes lol), design-wise. Plus, I absolutely love the astronomy inspiration for the game.

Looking forward to this. Best of luck, Mikomi!
Ah, thank you so much! ♥

Mikomi
Veteran

#29 Post by Mikomi »

Update 12/23:

Last update until after Christmas (and probably until 2019)! I call this... the Ophi update. Here's some new screenshots featuring new backgrounds as well as... Christmas art? Again?!

(yes, a few bits are twinkling faintly in this gif, it looks cooler in game though)

Who's that present for, Ophi...?

Thank you guys for another great year! I wasn't able to make a whole lot of progress on Asterism besides this past month but I've accomplished a lot this year- I'll be making a writeup before 2019 on my blog about it all. I hope to have an Asterism demo out early next year so stay tuned for that! Once the kinks are ironed out in the battle and map systems it should be pretty easy sailing.

Mikomi
Veteran

#30 Post by Mikomi »

Update 1/4:

First update of the year! I've started coding the VN sections of the game and I've finished up to the third day! So, here's some ingame, not mock screenshots.

I'm debating what to do for the demo- I have what I want the demo to be outlined, but I'm unsure if I want to do multiple demos, like one early that just has the VN play mode in it and then release another demo later that has the RPG mode in it as well or to just wait longer and release a full demo with both in it. If anyone has any suggestions, just comment.

As usual, you can follow us on Twitter and Discord!