The Other Side [GxB][GxG][Apocalyptic][Zombie][Comedy][Action]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Averxy
Regular
Completed: Heartbaked, Ellaria: Cotton & Cream, Plain
Projects: Toil & Trouble, Twisted
Organization: fablesoft.itch.io
Tumblr: FablesoftStudios

The Other Side [GxB][GxG][Apocalyptic][Zombie][Comedy][Action]

#1 Post by Averxy »

Story
Her city is thrown into chaos as so-called “zombies” appear one day, coming through strange portals that no one dares enter. Though, she hadn’t even noticed… At least, not until she’s greeted by one of the zombies themselves.

What will May do when faced with the dilemma of having to choose between a friend and what she thinks is right?

Characters
May
She’s an easy-going, sarcastic girl who hates work, loves sleeping, and enjoys giving people a hand when she can.
Height: 5’4
Looks: May has short, red hair and freckles. She has blue-green eyes and wears casual clothes.

Emily
Emily is May's best friend, they've been working together for about a year. She's a motherly, serious figure in May's life who balances out the silly, sarcastic nature of May.
Height: 5’2
Looks: She has long, black hair and light green eyes. She keeps her hair down and often wears skirts, dresses, and girly clothes.

Parker
A scardy cat “zombie” who just wants to find his little sister. Though he’ll tell you he’s actually part of a race of people called the “Ibenii” who just so happen to have zombie-like characteristics. He’s telling the truth.
Height: 5’11
Looks: Parker, though tall, has incredibly bad posture that causes him to look closer to Orion’s height. He has light grey skin and dark eyes and hair.

Orion
The tsun, because you have to have a tsun. Right? He’s a grumpy, zombie hating guy who works with May. They’re work friends and nothing more, unfortunately for him.
Height: 5’8
Looks: He wears his long hair in a ponytail and uses a stretchy bandana to keep his bangs out of his eyes. Orion’s skintone is a light brown, and his eyes are hazel.

Side Characters
Addelyn
Parkers young, adventurous, and spunky sister. She decided to just run through the portals without a second thought to look for... well, something.
Height: 4'2
Looks: Addelyn is a small, cute girl who loves to dress up and look pretty. She has one bad eye that’s clouded over and grey, while the other is a beautiful clear baby blue.

Lena
A somewhat serious university student that has some sort of connection to Orion, though they don't seem to be friendly.
Height 5'6
Looks: Lena keeps her hair in a ponytail, much like Orion. She has tanned skin and dark hair, and often wears clothes that represent her school.

Rueda
Lena's girlfriend, though she doesn't seem to be from this world.
Height: 5'9
Looks: Rueda is a tall woman with an absurdly tall afro. She often wears a bralette underneath a psychedelic, huge, baggy sweater… Though… What are those bandages across her stomach for?

???
A mysterious cloaked figure that is following May around and he seems... familiar.
Height: 5'11
Looks: ???

Races
Ibenii
A race of people that look… rather human. But it’s their differences that cause humans to call them zombies. Their skin is grey, and they themselves are skinnier than… Well, anybody that could be considered alive. Their injuries don’t heal, and their eyes are almost always black.

Len
Len are very similar to ibenii, though they have more variety in their skintones, body types, and hair and eye colours. There’s also the fact that they just seem… So familiar to humans.

Features
> Estimated 50,000 words
> 3 routes, endings TBD
> 12 Backgrounds
> Maybe like six CGs? Eight? We’ll see.
> Glossary of unique terms used in-game to make things easier! :)

Progress:
Writing:
>Outline: 10%
>Common Route: 5% (Rough Draft)
>Emily's Route: 0% (Rough Draft)
>Parker’s Route: 0% (Rough Draft)
>Orion’s Route: 0% (Rough Draft)

Art:
>Character Sketches: 5%
>Sprites: 0%
>CGS: 0%
>BGs: 0%
>GUI: 0%

Other:
>Music: 100% (Royalty free music)
>Programming: 5%

Team
Art: Minyan
Everything else: Averxy (Me!)

Updates
7/31/2017 - Added: Side character information, updated percentages, added to features
8/1/2017 - Added: Race information, short descriptions of the characters looks, and one more question.
8/5/2017 - Added: Emily's information, yuri route, updated information to align with script changes.

Questions
Does the premise interest you?
Which character is your favourite?
Which route do you think you’ll do first?
Are there any comments or questions you have for me?
Do you have any theories about the characters or story so far?
Last edited by Averxy on Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:50 pm, edited 8 times in total.
WIP: Toil & Trouble, Twisted
Check out Arena Circus, The Pretenders Guild, and Mnemonic Devices by Minyan!

runadial
Regular
Completed: My Only Sunshine
Projects: CrossDol (BL), Forsaken
Organization: astellic

Re: The Other Side [GxB]

#2 Post by runadial »

Does the premise interest you?
Hm, I don't think it's a bad premise. It sounds more like those cute and growing slice of life type games you run into. Though I can see obviously there are some fantasy — the portal and the "zombies". I'm curious to know more about this race though in the story along with the ibernii race. It's definitely something I would play once it's released, and that's what matters, right?

Would it be ok to say "all of them" or no? If I had to choose one though, I am kind of biased to Parker. I like tsundere characters, but I find it's hard to create a good tsundere too. In reality, I like all of them pretty much equally, none of them stand out in my eyes. That may change though once the sprites come because in all honesty I'm a sucker for appearances too as much as I kind of hate to admit, haha...

Which route do you think you'll do first?
Parker, because I'm curious about his little sister you mentioned. And also the races, I'm thinking maybe I'm going to learn a bit more about the races in his route, and I have a feeling in my gut May would probably grow more from his route than Orion. Though I like seeing friendship bloom to romance, like the whole process and all, so I will definitely play both in the end!

I look forward to this game being released; it's short and seems simple and easy to finish! I got a chance to play a few of your other games and I thought they were cute, funny and heart warming, so this is something I will look forward to. Always will be supporting you, if not directly then from the sidelines~ two questions though: does Orion have any reason (in his past) for hating zombies? You don't have to give away what, but just a yes or no. And will the ends be straight-cut "good" and "bad" or just different outcomes based on choices (both are "good" ends)?

Averxy
Regular

#3 Post by Averxy »

runadial wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:25 pm Does the premise interest you?
Hm, I don't think it's a bad premise. It sounds more like those cute and growing slice of life type games you run into. Though I can see obviously there are some fantasy — the portal and the "zombies". I'm curious to know more about this race though in the story along with the ibernii race. It's definitely something I would play once it's released, and that's what matters, right?

Would it be ok to say "all of them" or no? If I had to choose one though, I am kind of biased to Parker. I like tsundere characters, but I find it's hard to create a good tsundere too. In reality, I like all of them pretty much equally, none of them stand out in my eyes. That may change though once the sprites come because in all honesty I'm a sucker for appearances too as much as I kind of hate to admit, haha...

Which route do you think you'll do first?
Parker, because I'm curious about his little sister you mentioned. And also the races, I'm thinking maybe I'm going to learn a bit more about the races in his route, and I have a feeling in my gut May would probably grow more from his route than Orion. Though I like seeing friendship bloom to romance, like the whole process and all, so I will definitely play both in the end!

I look forward to this game being released; it's short and seems simple and easy to finish! I got a chance to play a few of your other games and I thought they were cute, funny and heart warming, so this is something I will look forward to. Always will be supporting you, if not directly then from the sidelines~ two questions though: does Orion have any reason (in his past) for hating zombies? You don't have to give away what, but just a yes or no. And will the ends be straight-cut "good" and "bad" or just different outcomes based on choices (both are "good" ends)?
Hey!
First of all thank you so much for your feedback, and I'm sorry there isn't more to comment on right now but I'll be updating frequently!

It's definitely a more comedy-ish game, there's a lot of jokes but there will also be action and romance and all that fun stuff haha. It isn't meant to be something super heavy, since it's my first pretty much solo project.

Orion does have his reasons and they will be covered in the story :) I think both routes have interesting growth for the characters involved and a lot of good story to be had, Parkers in regard to the different races and where he comes from and Orion because of... mysterious things that have yet to be revealed.

I hope you'll enjoy the game when it (eventually) comes out!

Update!
This is where I'm currently at:
The game contains 509 dialogue blocks, containing 3,689 words and 18,912
characters, for an average of 7.2 words and 37 characters per block.

The game contains 4 menus, 0 images, and 12 screens.

runadial
Regular
Completed: My Only Sunshine
Projects: CrossDol (BL), Forsaken
Organization: astellic

#4 Post by runadial »

Averxy wrote:Hey!
First of all thank you so much for your feedback, and I'm sorry there isn't more to comment on right now but I'll be updating frequently!

It's definitely a more comedy-ish game, there's a lot of jokes but there will also be action and romance and all that fun stuff haha. It isn't meant to be something super heavy, since it's my first pretty much solo project.

Orion does have his reasons and they will be covered in the story :) I think both routes have interesting growth for the characters involved and a lot of good story to be had, Parkers in regard to the different races and where he comes from and Orion because of... mysterious things that have yet to be revealed.

I hope you'll enjoy the game when it (eventually) comes out!
Your welcome! It's fine too, I never mind not-heavy projects. I mean, once in a while you just need to get away from that kind of stuff and have something cute, romantic and funny for a change. Good luck on your solo project, I have faith and high expectations!

Well now you're talking! I am so curious about the hooded figure, I wonder why he seems familiar, his age, his race, etc. I'd say at this point it's definitely getting more intriguing if anything. I look forward to all the updates you may have!

Averxy
Regular

#5 Post by Averxy »

runadial wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:14 pm Your welcome! It's fine too, I never mind not-heavy projects. I mean, once in a while you just need to get away from that kind of stuff and have something cute, romantic and funny for a change. Good luck on your solo project, I have faith and high expectations!

Well now you're talking! I am so curious about the hooded figure, I wonder why he seems familiar, his age, his race, etc. I'd say at this point it's definitely getting more intriguing if anything. I look forward to all the updates you may have!
Ahhh thank you for the support!! I hope this game can live up to your expectations :) I may have to restart the writing, just because of my own thoughts about it... Luckily I'm not too far in!

Update!

I added the information about the races, as well as some descriptions about how the characters look! I also added one more question :)

Averxy
Regular

#6 Post by Averxy »

Hey all! I've decided to restart the writing and rework the storyline, and it's coming out so much better than it was before!! Here's a small preview for anybody interested:
(Sorry if the coding is hard to read haha)
scene hallway:
zoom 1.5
show m veryangry at rside with moveinleft
m "Em!"
show em veryangry at lside with moveinleft
em "I'm coming, just go!"
"I charge forwards, looking back only to make sure that Em was actually following me."
show m angry
m "{i}Hurry up!{/i}"
show em angry
em "May, stop!"
"She decides that apparently even now is a good time to scold me."
show m veryangry
m "Are they still following us?"
show em veryangry
em "I don't know, you check!"
m "You're behind me!"
"I take a left turn, drifting around the corner."
"I had to wonder how we found ourselves in a school, we were just on our way to Orion's house..."
show em surprised
em "May, watch out!"
"A door in front of me swings open and I only have a second to stop myself."
"I stumble forwards, then fall backwards from the sudden loss of momentum."
show m surprised at cside with dissolve
show em angry
"Em runs up behind me and grabs me from the armpits, then pulls me up."
show m angry
m "They're in front of us now, too?"
em "Just {i}run{/i}!"
"We open the door to a room to the right of us and swing into the room."
scene classroom:
zoom 1.5
show em sad at lside with dissolve
show m sad at cside with dissolve
m "Shit."
em "Crap."
"It's a dead end."