Fate of the Squire - with demo! [BxB][Fantasy][Adult]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
MonsoonMushroom
Regular
Projects: Fate of the Squire
Organization: MonsoonMushroom

MARCH SHOWCASE

#46 Post by MonsoonMushroom »

Hello hello, this is your end of month masterpost (a little late). The goal for March was to get a good chunk of new image asset creation out of the way and we've done just that! First, here some new backgrounds:

Full Size

Left to right we have Gray's home (only seen if you follow that branch in the story, which we've touched on before), Areli's baths and Garaile's baths! I haven't yet decided if Lyall is really the type to take luxuriant baths so when I have a better idea of his scene I'll draw the background for him.

We've also got the costumes for Imbolc, aka the water festival that takes place in February. Like Samhain, it means new costumes for all the knights, and a lesser 'costume variant' for Leith. Garaile also gets a very minimal variant because let's be honest, he's not the type to dress up unless he gets to stick skulls to his outfit.

Full Size

We've also got the sprite for a new rival; rivals are intended to be more of a feature from mid-end February onwards. I'm not sure there'll be any extra game mechanics around them per se, but they will feature more in the story. I'd also planned to give them tweaked costumes depending who you're romancing to show that, like Leith, their personalities are influenced by the knight they're under.

Full Size

Lastly, Konoi generously donated to the Patreon page and received a drawing as a reward! They asked for some brotherly fluff between Leith and their favourite character Errol, and here's the finished picture:

Full Size
This is an actual scene that takes place in December, meaning this CG can make it into the game too!

That's all for now. April's goal is to work on CGs and write the story! I don't think a new release will be ready by end April but hopefully we can make some good progress. For those not following the weekly tumblr/patreon posts, I'll see you then.

MonsoonMushroom
Regular

APRIL SHOWCASE

#47 Post by MonsoonMushroom »

It's the end of the month masterpost! I've been making slow and steady progress on Squire's CGs, particularly the explicit ones. For those who follow the weekly posts on Tumblr and Patreon, you'll have seen most of this already – but there are a few new bits such as the new background for Lyall's castle guest room (day and night version) and an Imbolc variant on the cathedral.

Full size here.

...But I know you're not here for backgrounds! You're here for that sweet sweet yaoi. Well I can't show off full frontal nudity per se, but I can certainly give you a glimpse. Firstly, have these sketch-to-CGs that were voted on by patrons:

Full size here.

Full size here.

And a few extra that patrons didn't vote on, but did get an early glimpse of:

Full size here.

I don't have a lot else to show off! The plan for May is pretty much to keep chipping away at writing and drawing until Squire's February update is done. Realistically I don't think it'll be finished by the end of May – the main hold up is the writing, as I've been having a bad case of writer's block. If I can get the majority of that out of the way for May though, it'll be much easier to finish everything else up from there.

Anyone following the weekly posts, I'll see you next Monday – for you Itch and misc. people, I'll see you next month!

MonsoonMushroom
Regular

MAY SHOWCASE

#48 Post by MonsoonMushroom »

Hello hello, this is the end-of-moth post for May's progress!Much as before, progress has been steady, but sluggish. A lot of things happen in February's update, so getting everything finished is something of a mammoth task – one that I would like to be done by the end of June, but realistically, I'm not sure if will be.

Here's what I've been working on:

This scene with Errol, who suffers with a particularly bad bout of illness in February – one that can potentially end in tragedy if players aren't careful. One key to a better outcome is buying him the violin gift for Yuletide (found in the December update, which will be public as soon as February is finished). These two scenes reflect the different outcomes:

Full size here.

Full size here.

I've also been working on Imbolc, the water festival, which went from more of a family-focused event to a proper date with the knight, which is more satisfying. It should also let Leith discuss the knight's views on Somalaire's religion, which should be interesting. Areli and Garaile are still in progress, but here's Lyall's, which turned out pretty nicely I thought:

Full size here.

You'll notice Lyall doesn't have his trademark furry cloak in this! I did start painting it, but found the scene looked much nicer without it. That plate armour is too fancy to go covered up anyway.

I've been working further on explicit scenes, namely Garaile's 'kinky' scene and Gray's optional content. Areli's scenes are next on my to-do list...

That's all for now. Those of you on tumblr or patreon, I'll see you next week, otherwise I'll see you next month!

MonsoonMushroom
Regular

JUNE SHOWCASE

#49 Post by MonsoonMushroom »

Hello all, I've been working steadily away at the February update. Currently, the main task still left to do is all the writing, which has been very slow. I've been feeling under the weather for a past few weeks which has slowed productivity somewhat, but I'm chipping away. I hope to have the release done, or at least close to done, by the end of July.

In the meantime, here's some screens of in-game content that's been written and coded already:

Start of Garaile’s new explicit scene:
Full size here.

A conversation about Garaile’s kinkier side:

Dealings with Dr Gray:
Full size here.

The Imbolc festival with Areli:
Full size here.

As you can see we're making steady if unexciting progress! That's about all I can show off this month though. I'll see you all next time, or next Tuesday for the Tumblr/Patreon people.

MonsoonMushroom
Regular

JULY SHOWCASE

#50 Post by MonsoonMushroom »

Hello everyone! This is your end of the month post, which gets posted to a few more places than usual! This month has been a mixed bag, so let's start with the bad news:

1) We're still nowhere near to another content release. Writer's block has been a real roadblock this month. Also I don't know if you know but the UK (which is where I am) has had a heatwave lately and nothing kills my productivity like heat. I think we're due 40 days and 40 nights of rain now though, which is great news for me. ETA is currently unknown; maybe end August, maybe later than that. Tbh, I don't want to keep making promises if I'm not sure I can keep them.

2) Around July 9th the tumblr page got flagged for inappropriate content. Unfortunately even with censored pictures, if you can tell what's happening in the scene it's too explicit for tumblr. I'm not too annoyed over this as tumblr has frankly gotten a lot less vibrant since the adult content purge, so it was time to move on anyway.

It does mean that now the only place that receives weekly updates is Patreon. These updates are public, you don't need to be a patron to read them, and I'd encourage anyone who wants to follow the development more closely to bookmark the page or something. Patrons get a bonus post each week but as I say, you don't need to pay to access half the stuff on there.

Now the good news... well, kind of. It ties in to the writer's block problem from above.

We're coming up to 2 years since I began working on Squire and it's come a really long way, but it's reached the point where I'm getting burned out. Let no-one tell you a visual novel game is an easy or quick thing to make! We've come really far and I'm so proud to see people enjoying my work, but the fact that this last update has been such a slog really highlights that I need to put the project down for a while.

Currently, the plan is to finish this update (a public release that lets you play up to December, and a patron-only release that lets you play up to February) then set Squire aside for a little while. Not permanently, and I'm going to be quietly writing more content it in the background, but it's likely to be a break of months rather than weeks. What I don't want is to keep struggling with it as my main project and giving you lacklustre updates, when I could be dazzling you with a project I'm mega enthused for instead.

What's the other project? Why, it's Corrupter 2! And this is the good news, because I know how beloved Corrupter is, you kinky people you. Corrupter 1 – the game I threw together in a month, filled with grammatical errors and not my finest artwork – absolutely blows Squire out of the water in terms of downloads. As they say, sex sells. Sells for $0, but hey.

Now I haven't done much work on Corrupter 2 yet, because I'm trying not to distract myself too much when I still have another game to finish up, but I have a loose plan for what will happen. It'll follow a similar format to Corrupter 1, in the sense that you are tentacle-tastic warlock Lhoriss, tricking those brave, foolish knights into your lusty clutches! But I plan to offer more choices for which monsters the heroes will face, different ways they can be corrupter/transformed, more endings. But mostly importantly, better artwork and just a bit more time and TLC, really.

So that's basically what's happened this month. I haven't made as much progress as I wanted due to writer's block, burnout and heatwave, in that order. Once this next release is done Squire will be on a non-permanent hiatus, and the kinkfest of Corrupter 2 will begin, but we're keeping it under wraps for now. I'll see you all next month, and those of you on Patreon, I'll see you next week.