a Fairy special night [BxB][slice of life|romance|supernatural][mature]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
PMscenarios
Regular
Completed: Whale's Waldo
Projects: In Blood, Xenopathy
Tumblr: pmscenarios
itch: pmscenarios

a Fairy special night [BxB][slice of life|romance|supernatural][mature]

#1 Post by PMscenarios »

Part 1 is released! Play it here!

This is my first VN project, written and made for Yaoi game jam 2017.
We (sprite/CG/Bcg-artist KP3228 and me) started everything from scratch at the beginning of July (including my knowledge of Ren'py), and while I didn't achieve a lot of what I planned, the released part 1 encompasses everything I've managed to do (and learn) over this past month.

The Game:
"a Fairy special night" is a queer visual novel about a gay film-school drop-out who finally takes a tentative step out of his social seclusion and into the daunting world of dating - helped by his very own fairy godfather and a dubious "wish-granting" website, where - apparently -
"satisfaction is guaranteed"..?

Part 1 currently contains 2 out of 3 paths and the first act of a planned 3-act story.

Features:
  • 4900 words
  • 2 distinct paths
  • 9 music tracks (CC 3.0/4.0 and licenced)

Full game will contain:
  • 1.5-2 hours gameplay
  • 3 distinct paths of varying "adult" nature
  • 4-5 endings
  • R-rated scene - with option to opt out

screenshot aFsn 1.png
screenshot aFsn 7.png
screenshot aFsn 4.png
screenshot aFsn 3.png

As my skills improve I hope to fix some of the kinks and rough spots in part 1, while working on the rest of the game.
Some upcoming improvements (hopefully):
  • improved GUI
  • smoother animations for the website interaction
  • more choices during the survey
  • another path for the intro/chat sequence
  • refined emails
  • part 2

Overall progress:
writing: 33%
sprites: done
backgrounds: done
CGs: 25%
programming: 33% (part 1 done for release)

I would love some feedback on part 1:
Are you interested in knowing what happens next?
Did you change the name?
What did you think of the art?
Did you like the music score?
Biggest area of improvement?

If you're a Mac user I'd especially like to hear from you, as I have no way of testing the mac version currently.
Did it run fine? Did you notice any problems? Did the music unpack correctly?
Last edited by PMscenarios on Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

skyeworks
Regular
Projects: K9-11
itch: skyefrost

Re: a Fairy special night [BxB][slice of life|romance|supernatural][mature]

#2 Post by skyeworks »

Are you interested in knowing what happens next?

Yep. Though I'm more interested in seeing more of main guy movie talk. I really like main dude, his dialogue was great! BUT BEST IS I really liked the fake movie stories, that Cinderella one is hilarious. I loved how if you say no you get to read more of the Cinderella "story". Not ashamed, I liked it.

What did you think of the art?

Art wise is nice, only thing that bothered me was main guys jacket was kinda shiny but it's okay it fits with the setting. Expressions were nice, I liked that he moved with his expression instead just changing the face. It was weird at first seeing the 3d model and Fairy Godfather (because he's a drawing) but I got used to it.

Did you like the music score? it's nice. (I usually don't notice much on music in general but it's nice. Prologue music hooked me though , so dramatic!)

Biggest area of improvement? Probably, the length? but then it's only a part. haha. Can main guy date the fairy godfather?

PMscenarios
Regular
Completed: Whale's Waldo
Projects: In Blood, Xenopathy
Tumblr: pmscenarios
itch: pmscenarios

#3 Post by PMscenarios »

skyeworks wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:27 am Are you interested in knowing what happens next?

Yep. Though I'm more interested in seeing more of main guy movie talk. I really like main dude, his dialogue was great!

I'm very happy to hear that. I was very unsure how his geeking out would read, so it's great to hear it worked. And he'll definitely be doing more of it, he can't help himself. :roll:
BUT BEST IS I really liked the fake movie stories, that Cinderella one is hilarious. I loved how if you say no you get to read more of the Cinderella "story". Not ashamed, I liked it.
There will be more parts of the play/movie (called "a Fairy tale twist", though it'll probably never be named in-game) throughout the story. The part in the "OK" path is also part of the play -
Fairy/Rex/Termite/Theodore are all the same person. In the "timeline" of the play it's part of act 2 when Rex lies to Cindy about who he is(selling himself as the prince)/explains what happened during the war.
It started as just a small scene to illustrate his work and ended up growing into its own story. I have to confess I've grown quite fond of the fairy tale myself. It's very fun to write, since I can just throw in as many clichés and twists as possible. ^^
It was weird at first seeing the 3d model and Fairy Godfather (because he's a drawing) but I got used to it.
My thought was that the 2D image would illustrate that Bliss is only an avatar in the chat program while Nirav is "real".
Maybe I'll look into changing it if that doesn't translate.
Did you like the music score? it's nice. (I usually don't notice much on music in general but it's nice. Prologue music hooked me though , so dramatic!)
The most important thing for me is that the music doesn't disturb the narrative, so not being noticed is totally fine. :wink:
Which part of the prologue music btw?
Biggest area of improvement? Probably, the length? but then it's only a part. haha. Can main guy date the fairy godfather?
Thank you so much for your feedback! It means a lot. :) As to your question, I can't answer that as that would be spoiler territory, but I guess I'll say: You might be asking the wrong question.. :wink:
ImageImageImage

skyeworks
Regular
Projects: K9-11
itch: skyefrost

#4 Post by skyeworks »

PMscenarios wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:13 pm
Yep. Though I'm more interested in seeing more of main guy movie talk. I really like main dude, his dialogue was great! I'm very happy to hear that. I was very unsure how his geeking out would read, so it's great to hear it worked. And he'll definitely be doing more of it, he can't help himself. :roll:
BUT BEST IS I really liked the fake movie stories, that Cinderella one is hilarious. I loved how if you say no you get to read more of the Cinderella "story". Not ashamed, I liked it.

The most important thing for me is that the music doesn't disturb the narrative, so not being noticed is totally fine. :wink:
Which part of the prologue music btw?
Thank you so much for your feedback! It means a lot. :) As to your question, I can't answer that as that would be spoiler territory, but I guess I'll just say: You might be asking the wrong question.. :wink:
Main guy's geeking is adorbs. haha. Please randomly rant about stuff. <3
There will be more parts of the play/movie (called "a Fairy tale twist", though it'll probably never be named in-game) throughout the story. The part in the "OK" path is also part of the play -
Fairy/Rex/Termite/Theodore are all the same person. In the "timeline" of the play it's part of act 2 when Rex lies to Cindy about who he is(selling himself as the prince)/explains what happened during the war.
I did the other path first so when I saw this, (The fairy godfather saying I WAS THE EVIL BRO) It got me excited because I was piecing together the story. lol. The story might not been a good movie, but seeing it and Main guy comment on it is like watching those hilarious movie reviews on youtube, pretty funny.
It was weird at first seeing the 3d model and Fairy Godfather (because he's a drawing) but I got used to it.
My thought was that the 2D image would illustrate that Bliss is only an avatar in the chat program while Nirav is "real".
Maybe I can look into changing it if that doesn't translate.
No, Keep it! I realized why it was weird for me because I just played a vn that was in a cartoon style so then my head just suddenly registered fairy godfather into a "real person" . haha

The music that I remembered was when in the beginning when they did the film school scene, "You'll never get away with this. !" I was like lol. This is so dramatic, I must see more. Then the next scene tore my feeling apart, and I had to read more. I felt sorry for him losing his friends like that! ITS HURTS but at the same time...it's just suck to have to redo a project, especially when it wasn't your fault...