Fox in the Hollyhocks [BxB/Drama/Episodic][Demo]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Reikun
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mnemonic Devices, Ciikos Bridge, Helena's Flowers, The Madness
Projects: Fox in the Hollyhocks
Organization: skyharborr
itch: skyharborr

Fox in the Hollyhocks [BxB/Drama/Episodic][Demo]

#1 Post by Reikun »

Genre: Drama, Romance, Drugs & Crime | Resolution: (upgrading to) 1920x1080 | Rating*: 16+ (?!)

Play the alpha demo!
Available for Windows, Linux, and Mac
You can download the alpha demo (version 0.1) from itch.io at the link above.
This demo was released for Yaoi Game Jam 2016. There's a feedback form linked in-game.
If you don't like google forms, the questions are also listed at the bottom of this post.

Story
Troubles, like flowers, begin as seeds. And what else, but trouble, could come from encountering a person you're sure you've met, but have completely forgotten? It's easy to tell yourself you're mistaken when you live in Altea Rosata– a megalopolis where thousands of people come and go like the wind and seasons. When you're Hunter Toprak, you can tell yourself you're mistaken, but you learned a long time ago that sometimes the things you tell yourself aren't true. What good would come of prying into the life of the moody and mysterious Renard Wu? Is it just satisfying a curiosity, or is it some kind of fate?

Characters
Age 25 | June 20 | Likes cooking and watches his neighbor's cat whenever she's out of town

Age 23 | April 21 | Likes reading nonfiction & magazines and is secretly good at fly fishing

There are more characters but these two are the main ones in episode one!
(The last main character is introduced at the end of episode one and has more action in episode two..)

Links
Official page: http://www.skyharborr.net/fith.html

*RATING: currently 16+ (demo) but it /might/ go up to 18+ depending on how graphic I end up getting with Certain Things
(mostly blood stuff, possibly sex stuff?!)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Progress

Code: Select all

Episode 1 outline:        Done!
Script:                   17% (15.5k)
Backgrounds:              ???
Sprites:                  ???
Event illusts:            ???
Music/sfx:                [trying to figure out budget]
Code:                     [on hold until other assets are done]
Progress is "???" because I'm currently working towards an updated demo and also upgrading the resolution from 1366x768 to 1920x1080 so all my in-progress assets are even MORE in-progress while I upscale/redraw. Also writing is hard to quantify. I'll have better estimates after SuNoFes!

About the Game + Purpose of this thread
Fox in the Hollyhocks is episode 1 of 3 in the Renhunt series. It's going to be pretty Event Illustration/CG heavy because I'm my own artist so I CAN.... The full version is most likely going to be a commercial release. I have no idea what price I would set yet though. I'm planning on releasing an updated demo by the end of the year (maybe by the end of SuNoFes 2017?! I'm trying.)

I've mostly been doing updates on twitter (which is a mess) and I'd like a place for keeping updates together that isn't quite as formal as a blog..! So with some discipline I'm hoping to do some weekly or biweekly updates/progress reports here. I'll probably mirror updates on tumblr as well.

Questions about the demo:
  • How many feelings did you gather on your first playthrough?
  • Please give your impression of the story/characters thus far:
  • Please give your impression of the presentation/art style thus far:
  • Any other comments:
I'm not going to ask for age or email here, but if you would be interested in beta-testing future versions of the game please fill out the feedback form linked in-game to privately submit that information!

Questions in general:
  • How do you feel about asset re-use in episodic titles (especially commercial games)? Does it matter to you as a player?
  • Please give me advice about working with composers/musicians and how much of a budget I should plan for o__o
  • Please let me know if you have any other comments/questions/concerns about this project
Thank you for reading!
Last edited by Reikun on Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

fastest way to contact me: DM @skyharborr on twitter

potouto
Veteran
Projects: (งツ)ว
Organization: MOONBBIT☆

Re: Fox in the Hollyhocks [BxB/Drama/Episodic][Demo]

#2 Post by potouto »

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Look at this beautiful thread, what a blessing ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) I will definitely play the demo when I have the time, now, on to the questions ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

How do you feel about asset re-use in episodic titles (especially commercial games)? Does it matter to you as a player?
It's fine for me to be honest, like, Telltales and Life is Strange use this format, I don't think it's much of a problem.
Just do what you'd want, I think it's better to save resources to be honest.

Please give me advice about working with composers/musicians and how much of a budget I should plan for o__o
I have only worked with two myself, so, like, depends on how much you can save up, and how many you need. But you should aim for around 100$/track. At least, that's from my experience.

Please let me know if you have any other comments/questions/concerns about this project

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Good luck with the development ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

yeah well | commission | website